Comic for April 27, 2019: Rose and Raine

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

Re: Comic for April 27, 2019: Rose and Raine

#16 Post by Schrodinger »

We've been speculating for a long time about how Rose was able to live for as long as she has. Given what Tom has already said about perfect transformations I think we now have our answer. Rose has been using her human form to extend her natural lifespan significantly.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#17 Post by aitaituo »

Xian wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:51 am Wait! Is Rose a 25 years young lady while in human form?! Does that mean that every Keidran able to master that magic could live up to four times their natural lifespan if they stay as humans all the time once they hit their twenties?!
Well, her hair still has grey streaks, which would put her at closer to 40 at least. I think that roughly works out as only a little faster than human aging speed since she was captured by the Templar?

Rafe
Council Member

#18 Post by Rafe »

Xian wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:51 am Wait! Is Rose a 25 years young lady while in human form?! Does that mean that every Keidran able to master that magic could live up to four times their natural lifespan if they stay as humans all the time once they hit their twenties?!
I'm not sure Human Rose is supposed to look as young as that. Given the faded red, gray streaked hair, she looks more like a woman who has aged very gracefully. One thing that you might notice though is how much Human Rose looks like Human Raine. For that matter, they look very similar in their wolf forms as well. Tom is pretty good about keeping distinctive designs for his characters and keeping them on model, so this must be showing the family closeness between Rose and Raine. Seriously, if it wasn't for the different hair and eye color, they could be twins.

The other thing going on is that Rose is being very kind to Raine. This is as it should be, of course, but given her past with Euchre, a lesser person might not be so kind. In fact, Rose has been very easy on Euchre and Mary Silverlock so far, only letting Raine know something she already knows, that her mother and father weren't exactly great parents. It seems the more we learn about Rose, the more saintly and forgiving she turns out to be, especially considering her life so far. It might be that she'll eventually forgive Euchre (maybe more for Raine's sake). Then again, maybe she already inwardly has forgiven him, but hasn't had a excuse to tell him.

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

#19 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

Ok wow. Definitely was not expecting.
I highly doubt that Rose has had perfect transformation this whole time like Euchre though. I mean, Sirus wouldn't have called it "an adorable little illusion charm" when he caught her sneaking in the village, if what he saw was actually some extremely rare magical phenomenon.

What I'm guessing is either
1) This is all part of the ability Rose has in being "interwoven" into the estate. As others have said, if the "real" Rose is actually in that room, and this is just some magical "projection" of Rose, then what's stopping her from projecting herself in any form she wants. Of course, this does raise the question of why old Trace wouldn't always want her in a human form around him. Unless maybe the Keidran form specifically is what reminds him of Saria.
2) Trace used Rose as a test subject for testing these sorts of transformations before he did it to Mary (as Kyrit suggested). And perhaps this has given Rose an ability to switch between the forms at will, *especially* as her previous restrictions have been lifted.
3) This *isn't* perfect transformation. Like, we know that Euchre has the innate gift of "flawless transformation", that "unlike typical illusions, his ability allows him to physically become human, down to the smallest detail". Maybe what Rose has is a weaker form of that ability. It's not flawless or perfect, it *can* be seen through, but maybe she has a natural ability to *appear* a certain way. Maybe this was the "adorable little illusion charm" that Sirus caught her with. And once again, maybe the fact that her previous restrictions have been lifted allows her to use this innate magic again.

Just some random thoughts. The main point is, if Rose has had the same abilities as Euchre this whole time, that would raise some plotholes that would really need to be explained.

Also, I'm really really happy that Rose is being so compassionate and understanding to Raine, and they're finally having some family bonding :). Raine needs some family she can love and trust!

Ddraig
Templar Master

#20 Post by Ddraig »

aitaituo wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:29 am
Well, her hair still has grey streaks, which would put her at closer to 40 at least. I think that roughly works out as only a little faster than human aging speed since she was captured by the Templar?
I have a vague memory of Tom saying that Keidran don't age quickly until near the end of their lifespans (e.g. they look young for a larger proportion of their lives).

I also don't think Rose's restrictions being lifted impacted her ability to talk to Raine like this, but perhaps they allowed her to access the ability to make the transformation at will (given her lifespan, it probably wasn't locked away entirely), or their lifting allowed Rose to discuss the aspects of magic necessary to help Raine with her ability - both things that would impact her decision to hold the conversation.
Personally, I'm leaning toward the conversation happening now because Raine/Red wanted to start it now, instead.

edit: Oh, and another theory that occurred to me: Euchre taught Rose how to do the flawless transformation as part of his apology
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

BadJoke
Templar GrandMaster

#21 Post by BadJoke »

Raine, you're a nerd.

Witness the power to transform into McGonagal- I mean a human!

Ugh, how am I supposed to comment that page? It's impossible, TOO MUCH THEORIES!!

Except maybe that: if Rose really is the thing in the "red room" then this display of power may not be totally natural. She got caught when she used it when younger and now she seems to have it really easy, when she could be connected to the "stuff down there"... I could totally see Old!Trace experimenting on her ( :trace: (evil) : What? Doesn't count as killing!). Maybe to transplant it to humans and use it against the keidrans; or maybe he was searching for a way to "dispose" of his old partner-in-coup-d'état Euchre. Being a genius in magic I doubt he didn't knew about his wolfish nature.
Criminals are less dangerous than virtuous people: they kill less.

steelabjur
Council Member

#22 Post by steelabjur »

Look at the grey in her hair, she's a lot older than 25 in human form.

Xian
Traveler

#23 Post by Xian »

Rose's hair remains the same color as in her wolf form, but her skin, on the other hand, is unblemished by a single wrinkle... and Rose, is around 80-90 years old in wolf years... There is no way a lady that old looks that good...

I think Rose looks like a woman in her twenties, but keeping the same hair as in her wolf form...
aitaituo wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:29 amWell, her hair still has grey streaks, which would put her at closer to 40 at least. I think that roughly works out as only a little faster than human aging speed since she was captured by the Templar?
Mmmm... that may work too... maybe she stopped aging at Keidran rate only after she learned the perfect shapechange spell... So she would be, biologically speaking, older than a 25 years human, but way younger than a 25 years old Keidran...

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#24 Post by CrRAR »

Schrodinger wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:09 am We've been speculating for a long time about how Rose was able to live for as long as she has. Given what Tom has already said about perfect transformations I think we now have our answer. Rose has been using her human form to extend her natural lifespan significantly.
Good point.
AndreRhineDavis wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:35 am Ok wow. Definitely was not expecting.
I highly doubt that Rose has had perfect transformation this whole time like Euchre though. I mean, Sirus wouldn't have called it "an adorable little illusion charm" when he caught her sneaking in the village, if what he saw was actually some extremely rare magical phenomenon.

What I'm guessing is either
1) This is all part of the ability Rose has in being "interwoven" into the estate. As others have said, if the "real" Rose is actually in that room, and this is just some magical "projection" of Rose, then what's stopping her from projecting herself in any form she wants. Of course, this does raise the question of why old Trace wouldn't always want her in a human form around him. Unless maybe the Keidran form specifically is what reminds him of Saria.
2) Trace used Rose as a test subject for testing these sorts of transformations before he did it to Mary (as Kyrit suggested). And perhaps this has given Rose an ability to switch between the forms at will, *especially* as her previous restrictions have been lifted.
3) This *isn't* perfect transformation. Like, we know that Euchre has the innate gift of "flawless transformation", that "unlike typical illusions, his ability allows him to physically become human, down to the smallest detail". Maybe what Rose has is a weaker form of that ability. It's not flawless or perfect, it *can* be seen through, but maybe she has a natural ability to *appear* a certain way. Maybe this was the "adorable little illusion charm" that Sirus caught her with. And once again, maybe the fact that her previous restrictions have been lifted allows her to use this innate magic again.

Just some random thoughts. The main point is, if Rose has had the same abilities as Euchre this whole time, that would raise some plotholes that would really need to be explained.

Also, I'm really really happy that Rose is being so compassionate and understanding to Raine, and they're finally having some family bonding :). Raine needs some family she can love and trust!
Hear, hear! To expound on the 2nd and 3rd points, there may be more minutiae to transformation that we don't know, but transforming imperfectly (the variety used on Mary) has been described as characteristically painful. So that little fact adds to an elimination of Rose exercising that particular form on herself unless Rose has a steel constitution against pain. Something also tells me Saria wouldn't allow such testings to be performed on Rose, or hopefully Trace would not consider it out of respect for his beloved. Sounds like a bit of a marital "hot button".

Which brings up an interesting point with Karen, getting a second set of ears may have been a loophole in transforming anything. Maybe it was a more humane prank Trace pulled that way. Gotta treat little sisters right afterall. :twisted: (Bioshock reference intended)

Seems old Trace wasn't all bad.
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#25 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Well that was unexpected. Most original comment I know.
But this tell us that maybe euchre talent runs in the family. Of course assuming this is also a perfect transformation and not some illusion spell. She probably learned either from Trace after the coup, a forced lesson perhaps, or found out she could do it herself sometime after Daria died.
Ok I just hope we get to see a nice heart warming family reunion from these two and not switch to someone else perspective as it has been the running theme. Besides considering their family tree they are all they have.

And just to re state my old theory. I am pretty sure that despite looking wolf both Euchre and Rose edited their physiology in order to live longer. The former because it is hard to conquer the world on 20 years and the latter I doubt had much choice.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

nukkus

#26 Post by nukkus »

I joined as a member after all these years just to say: Wow, Rose is incredibly elegant and beautiful in either of her forms, isn't she?

Piece_of_Paper
Citizen

#27 Post by Piece_of_Paper »

WOW! :o
Was not expecting that. :shock:
Please continue the conversation! :|
Can I borrow a piece of paper?
This would drive my professor nuts ..."It's A Sheet Of Paper!"
So I use that screen name else where.

Phaing
Master

#28 Post by Phaing »

Piece_of_Paper wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:18 pm WOW! :o
Was not expecting that. :shock:
Please continue the conversation! :|
Hell yeah, I'll second that!

Its been a while since I last commented, but hot damn, that was great!
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

Meribah
Citizen

#29 Post by Meribah »

Wow! There is nothing I don’t like about this page. Everything about it is perfect. I can’t wait to see the next one! :D

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#30 Post by AmigaDragon »

BadJoke wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:58 am Raine, you're a nerd.
Well yeah, geeking out over magic stuff she has a natural talent for.
Except maybe that: if Rose really is the thing in the "red room" then this display of power may not be totally natural. She got caught when she used it when younger and now she seems to have it really easy, when she could be connected to the "stuff down there"...
I don't think that's Rose. Based on Euchre's warning, I think it may be Saria's body (her spirit long gone, of course) connected to whatever equipment from old Trace's last attempt to bring her back. But if that is so, either she was never in her grave or was dug up shortly after.
Xian wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:42 pm maybe she stopped aging at Keidran rate only after she learned the perfect shapechange spell... So she would be, biologically speaking, older than a 25 years human, but way younger than a 25 years old Keidran...
Not stopped but possibly slowed.

Once she gets Raine straightened out a bit, I don't think Rose will let her out of the room with just the shorts and chest wrap. "What are these rags you're wearing?" We'll see her in a new outfit before long, whether as human, wolf or mix.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen