--Administrators
--

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

Re: Comic for April 6th, 2019: Raine's Fears

#2 Post by Neutral Smith »

Looks like the start of a new relation.

I have the feeling that Red has a very basic knowledge of magic, and knows things Raine doesn't, and that he is going to attempt to teach her. Or at least give her confidence to try again and again.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

#3 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

poor Raine :(
I hope that Rose, in her omniscience, can see Raine's predicament and will come and talk to her and help her. I reckon Rose would have picked up a thing or two about magic in all her years being Trace's senechal. That reminds me... is Euchre still sneaking around Trace's estate? He told Rose he was "keeping an eye on his daughter", but is there any indication that he definitely left? If anyone could help Raine with her condition, it would be him.

BadJoke
Templar GrandMaster

#4 Post by BadJoke »

Poor Raine raises a valid reason to be anxious here. Many hybrids tend to have health problems and her shape-shifting changing like that is not a good sign; if not a danger to her health it may become more of an handicap as time goes on (through the transformation here is probably just linked to her sleepwalking who must be simply due to stress, something to be expected considering her general nervousness, amplified by all she went through recently).
Not helped by the fact she has to most powerful magic potential of the comic and no training to keep it in check, with as a bonus an handicap in human relations and self esteem ''thanks'' to her lamentable parents.
She may be as much of a time bomb as Trace, except it's herself she will hurt if something goes wrong.
She needs support. ASAP!

That's one of the reasons this is my favorite couple: her and [Database Error] are as unprepared and clumsy as the other and still they want to do what they think is best. Their good people trying do deal with so many things they can't understand and still they try. The strengths of one supporting the weaknesses of the other... Makes them so awkward and cute. Admirable too.
Criminals are less dangerous than virtuous people: they kill less.

tehbear

#5 Post by tehbear »

Some thoughts

* Raine understandably feels like she doesn't belong with any group, neither the humans nor the keidran in her current hybrid form.
* Sleepwalking may just be due to the stressful journey so far.
* Are feral keidran still a thing? Or is it urban legend? One would think keidran wouldn't form societies and tribes like they do in the comic if this was really a thing. Ok, there was that one time a feral keidran attacked group A way back in the beginning of the comic, but was it really a feral?
* It seems Red finally realizes that the things he says effect people, humans and keidran alike.

Rafe
Council Member

#6 Post by Rafe »

Part of the conflict with both Red and Raine is that they don't get along with any of the other characters well enough that they could easily tell any of them their darkest fears and secrets. Natani has Keith and Zen, Trace has Flora and Nora, etc., but Raine is so scared of what others might think that she's getting even more withdrawn. Red's only way of relating with others is mainly being a macho jerk, which doesn't exactly lend itself to seriously discussing your feelings and inner fears.

I assume that one or both of them will have to get some help sooner or later from someone. It might be Rose, it might even be Euchre (If Red has never met Euchre, I imagine that if he does, he would be very impressed). I get the feeling that something is being set up, and that it may take something tragic, or at least a near-tragedy, to get them to realize that they are going to have to find someone to help Raine. She needs help not so much with her human/keidran transformation problems, as with her feelings of worthlessness and low self esteem.

She has, after all, helped the others greatly with her abilities. Maybe it will take some sincere thanks from Zen thanking her for getting rid of Carver and probably saving his life. Maybe Sythe will point out that it was probably she that saved Mrs. Nibbly.

steelabjur
Council Member

#7 Post by steelabjur »

I wonder if her situation has something to do with Neutral making it so Keidran/Humans can crossbreed now? After all, she was the first viable Keidran/Human hybrid we're aware of (due to magic cheating but still), perhaps the magical ban that was in effect kept her Keidran genes from expressing themselves save when she transformed and they're coming to the forefront now that what she really is, a hybrid, is permitted by the Mask?

Warrl
Grand Templar

#8 Post by Warrl »

Euchre has a natural talent for perfect transformation. I would assume, absent compelling evidence to the contrary, that Raine is human down to her genes - that what she inherited from Euchre is a fully-human genetic translation of his keidran genome.

Including whatever gave him that talent.

Raine apparently also has a magical-energy buildup problem, and the only short-term solution to those is to use the energy.

But first she needs control, which means training - to use the energy she has to do magic, and she's kind of a wildcard right now. An untrained mage is a danger to herself and everyone around her.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#9 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Ah poor Raine, but she does have a fair point.
I think one of the most scary thinks that could happen to you is losing control of your body. Only thing scarier is losing control of you mind.
steelabjur wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:51 pm I wonder if her situation has something to do with Neutral making it so Keidran/Humans can crossbreed now? After all, she was the first viable Keidran/Human hybrid we're aware of (due to magic cheating but still), perhaps the magical ban that was in effect kept her Keidran genes from expressing themselves save when she transformed and they're coming to the forefront now that what she really is, a hybrid, is permitted by the Mask?
*Insert stereotypical overly dramatic lawyer voice*
Your honor we all know that with the current laws hybrids are not allowed. Alas the individual in question was not a Keidran at the time of the "event". No her was a perfect facsimile of a human down to his very core. Such magic skill has been established to be legal under the current laws and under that logic conception has to be valid and the pregnancy can move forward as intended!
(So yeah a legal loophole on the mask's game)
Warrl wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:58 pm Euchre has a natural talent for perfect transformation. I would assume, absent compelling evidence to the contrary, that Raine is human down to her genes - that what she inherited from Euchre is a fully-human genetic translation of his keidran genome.

Including whatever gave him that talent.

Raine apparently also has a magical-energy buildup problem. and the only short-term solution to those is to ]use the energy.

But first she needs control, which means training - to use the energy she has to do magic, and she's kind of a wildcard right now. An untrained mage is a danger to herself and everyone around her.
If i remember correctly it has been hinted that Raine was born a Keidran and shifted shortly aftewards into a human and then she was fitted with her supression amulet. It is my pet theory that the "perfect transformation" thing means shifting down to cellular level, at least, if not conception would have not been possible.
Also i think it explains Euchre apparent very long lifespan. Despite looking mostly Keidran he probably edited and swapped some bits and bobs to keep himself alive well beyond his expected lifespan. Since Trace learned the trick from him it could be also the way Rose is still alive.

Anyhow as some of you mentioned this might lead to some nice personal development between Raine and [SQL error]. He tries to teach her some magic yet we know he is not the most capable mage out there. So someone else might need to come and help her learn the ropes, like dunno, her aunt Rose?
Honestly I am still waiting for that Rose/Raine reunion meeting thing.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#10 Post by Hulk10 »

Red is right. She just needs to learn to control her powers.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#11 Post by tony1695 »

Raine's fears aren't unjustified, but I wonder if it's what she thinks it is. It's been a while since any real mention of the gods, and being a human/Keidran hybrid would make her a good vessel for Neutral, given they were the one who was stopping people like her from existing. Could be this sleepwalking is her unknowingly resisting an outside attempt at control. Unlikely, but it's probably something worth considering.

Also, Red is probably the worst person to teach her magical control, given he was kicked out of the Templars for, among other things, being bad at learning magic.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Panther
Merchant

#12 Post by Panther »

I remember the first day she's removed/lost her collar : she's become a keidran . That means (for me) her main form is keidran , but hidden in an human form by the spell .............. Now , she wants to be still human and denies her natural form : that creates problems in her . She has just to accept who and what she's to resolve all
Man is a wolf for man ........ Don't insult the wolves :natani:

Warrl
Grand Templar

#13 Post by Warrl »

But the collar is a magic suppressor - confirmed by what it did to Zen and Natani when put on Zen.

If Raine were naturally keidran, then she'd be keidran any time she was wearing the collar. Instead she explicitly wore it in order to remain human.

She's a very powerful but almost completely untrained mage with a natural talent for transformation. And while her natural body is entirely human, her soul is part keidran, making keidran and keidran/human mixes the simplest things for her to transform into when all that magic potential leaks out.

When is it likely to leak out? Stress is a common cause. And a baby in the process of being born is undergoing quite a lot of stress.

Kyrit
Templar

#14 Post by Kyrit »

Panther wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:20 am I remember the first day she's removed/lost her collar : she's become a keidran . That means (for me) her main form is keidran , but hidden in an human form by the spell .............. Now , she wants to be still human and denies her natural form : that creates problems in her . She has just to accept who and what she's to resolve all
Tom's said before, and even put in the new character sheet for her that her primary form, natural born form, is human. This is even emphasized by the fact that when she blew all her mana reserves blasting Carver off to the Basitin Isles she reverted to human form. If wolf was her main form it wouldn't have happened that way.

As an aside, I guess even Raine is a tiny bit racist deep deep down. She's friendly with Keidren but being one seems to be something that would ruin her life in her opinion. Understandable given her upbringing. It is still pretty sad though, given how much she's been pushing for their group to get along well with the wolves in their party. Perhaps, instead of listening to Red considering how easily it is for him to mess up with the race card, she could get some assistance from someone like, oh, I don't know, Natani? Not very likely considering they'd have to actually run in to one another again (which first requires Raine leaving the room), but Natani would honestly probably be a pretty good mentor for Raine for plenty of reasons:
A) Need to blow off some excess magic? Natani isn't classically trained, but could teach you a good bit and hey. Dirty magic, as Tom called it, is pretty good at wasting mana.
B) Natani has experience with being something they don't want to be (a woman), so they could probably understand Raine's problems pretty well, even if they aren't the same problems
C) Has plenty of experience in the controlling urges department
D) Can confirm that Raine isn't going to go 'feral' from being in wolf form and that those are certainly just stories (As I'm fairly certain Tom's retcon'd Keidran going feral?)

Plus, Nat's probably grateful for Raine doing everything she could to save Zen and his leg too. Were it not for Raine, Red and Sythe would've gladly offed Zen when they had the chance, even without Carver. And I'm sure it'd also do wonders for Nat's ego to be the cool guy getting to actually be the one teaching something for once.

That said, based on the cover art of the chapter, Raine will probably end up back in full wolf form and will be talking to Rose before too terribly (in comic time, not our time of course) long.

Panther
Merchant

#15 Post by Panther »

Kyrit wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:23 am
Panther wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:20 am I remember the first day she's removed/lost her collar : she's become a keidran . That means (for me) her main form is keidran , but hidden in an human form by the spell .............. Now , she wants to be still human and denies her natural form : that creates problems in her . She has just to accept who and what she's to resolve all
Tom's said before, and even put in the new character sheet for her that her primary form, natural born form, is human. This is even emphasized by the fact that when she blew all her mana reserves blasting Carver off to the Basitin Isles she reverted to human form. If wolf was her main form it wouldn't have happened that way.
Raine changes before to push Carver away ; maybe because humans doesn't need of crystals to use magic , oppositely to keidrans ? (Carver says it himself) . But well
So ? Do we have to understand that there is a "wild magic" morphing automatically Raine in a keidran form as soon as she removes her (protective ?) collar .......... :|
Man is a wolf for man ........ Don't insult the wolves :natani: