Comic for April 1, 2019: Imbalanced (Retro-Style)

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

JordanTH

Comic for April 1, 2019: Imbalanced (Retro-Style)

#1 Post by JordanTH »

Spoiler!
This technically counts as a 'new' comic, right?
Last edited by Hayate on Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Editing title to differentiate from original page

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

Re: Comic for April 1, 2019: Imbalanced

#2 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Oh, wow, that's a blast from the past. Nice one, tom!

It's really weird seeing everything in Tom's older, simpler art style here. He even shrunk the image size down to the smaller size he used back then! Seeing what's supposed to be the same thing side-by-side really drives home just how *different* things look today. Not that there's anything particularly wrong with either style, especially when they're both executed with modern Tom's current technical skill, it's just a quite dramatic contrast. (It's also kinda impressive that Tom can go back and so closely mimic his old style at will.)

... Now I kinda want to go back and try to figure out which era in the comic this art style most closely matches. Just from the jesting messages at the bottom being dated 2009 I'd assume it's intended to be that era, but I'd want to confirm that. But not at 1:30 am. :grin: (Also, the image file name is pretty funny - for some reason the term 'demake' for a remake in an old style amuses me greatly.)

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

Re: Comic for April 1, 2019: Imbalanced (Retro-Style)

#3 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

hehe, now *this* is an April Fools' joke :P

As for how far back we're meant to have gone, at first I thought it was 10 years, since Tom's last post in "News and Announcements" is April 1st 2009, but if you click on "Archive", you see that the most recent comic listed is 543, i.e. March 3, 2010.
My guess is that Tom just found some backed-up version of the site from around 9 years ago and just uploaded it.

Also yeah, wow, I didn't even consciously notice that the comic itself was "demade" until I read MuonNeutrino's post!
It must be really *difficult* to try and emulate the way you *used* to draw. It's like... over the years your drawing skills and styles get more advanced and developed, and now you're trying to emulate the way you used to do it....... I imagine it's like trying to play a musical instrument *purposely* like a novice. Which sounds really difficult!

vevans0009
New Citizen

#4 Post by vevans0009 »

Amazed how Tom can just go back to drawing in his starting art style and to his current style.

Tesla Foxtrot
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Her

#5 Post by Tesla Foxtrot »

*ghasps in loss of air*
Thats so awesome and i think noone could expect Tom make something retro again!
We gotta make him make a retro Sketch of the day!
The communist part is a inside-joke with friends. :kathrin:

Stoneage89
Citizen

#6 Post by Stoneage89 »

Is this the first April Fools Day gag since the incident?

I gotta admit I love the old school web design. I think the announcements at the bottom are real

Turaiel
Administrator
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#7 Post by Turaiel »

Stoneage89 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:52 pm I think the announcements at the bottom are real
Yeah, all the announcements except the last one are real. You can see all the old news here: http://twokinds.keenspot.com/news.php?disp=5&page=16
Website Administrator

amenon
Grand Templar

#8 Post by amenon »

This is outstanding. Excellent work :grin:
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#9 Post by BadFoMo »

You know what, I'm fine with this.

Also, as unbelievable as this is, I think I might be coming to terms with April Fools' Day again. …That's not an April Fools' Day prank. …Really.
It was nice having my ‘friend’ actually being happy with me while it lasted (he's a self-proclaimed Ebenezer Scrooge of April Fools' Day).
P.S. Is it weird if I like to look at this and think that this came from one of those alternate realities where the ‘style’ never evolved past a certain point?
P.P.S. Did this or any of the other pages I didn't comment on get updated before I got here? …Speaking of updates; part of Raine's left leg (the Keidran one) isn't completely filled in.
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

#10 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

BadFoMo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:25 pm You know what, I'm fine with this.

Also, as unbelievable as this is, I think I might be coming to terms with April Fools' Day again. …That's not an April Fools' Day prank. …Really.
It was nice having my ‘friend’ actually being happy with me while it lasted (he's a self-proclaimed Ebenezer Scrooge of April Fools' Day).
P.S. Is it weird if I like to look at this and think that this came from one of those alternate realities where the ‘style’ never evolved past a certain point?
P.P.S. Did this or any of the other pages I didn't comment on get updated before I got here? …Speaking of updates; part of Raine's left leg (the Keidran one) isn't completely filled in.
In case you didn't notice, there is a "real" version of this page, drawn in the modern style.
It can be accessed by clicking "previous comic" and then "next comic".
I also made a topic for it in the forum when it came out on the 30th of March. But I guess that thread's been a bit ignored/forgotten since on the 1st of April this "retro" version of the page appeared (along with the retro version of the site), and JordanTH made this topic here for it.

Also yes, wow, I still remember the April Fools scandal xP

stlsf4003
Apprentice

#11 Post by stlsf4003 »

Talk about a blast from the past! I Never thought i'ed see that art style again.

It really is amazing just how far Tom has came in terms of skill since 2010 or there about's. I'm even more amazed that he was even able to go back to the old style at all!
the lurking furry railroader

IAMZID
Traveler

#12 Post by IAMZID »

a little attention to detail that I haven't seen anyone else mention yet is Natani's character Bio, it's also been reverted. go check it out. it's not exactly like it used to be in 09, but it's pretty darn close to what it was before Tom rewrote it (my memory could fail me though, I haven't seen it in a long time). all of the other bio's look about the same except for the pics and some current characters are missing.

i'd link it but i'm not smart enough apparently. as far as I can tell it just has the same link as the front page, http://twokinds.keenspot.com/ but under the "Characters" tab.
i'm just a man.

Tygron
Notakitty!

#13 Post by Tygron »

That was a really cool blast from the past. Thanks for that, Tom :D
[Click the sig to check out my music]
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#14 Post by Insomniac »

And we're back to his modern art style :D Goodness Raine looks lovely.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Neptune
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: the bear in my signature

#15 Post by Neptune »

This comic is cursed to the 9th degree
Image Haha, he's so tiny! Where is he going?