The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

amenon
Grand Templar

Comic for March 9th, 2019: Roselyn's Spider-Web

#1 Post by amenon »

(Sketch)

(Twitter wallpaper)

Aww, phooey. Had my hopes up for a moment there.

Possible edit note: in panel 5, 'in or around the walls' should probably rather be 'in or around these walls'. But, speech bubbles and line lengths and rah rah rah.
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

Re: Comic for March 9th, 2019: Roselyn's Spider-Web

#2 Post by tony1695 »

If it were the old Trace, she almost certainly would be happy to use her powers to off him. Of course, the old Trace never would have removed the safeguards he put in place.
I doubt that she had to actually think about whether or not to kill him, she probably just wanted to mess with Trace.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Combak
Citizen

#3 Post by Combak »

Well, if Tom hadn’t said the next page would be jumping over to Raine, I would be hoping the next page would detail some of her abilities. As is, I’ll just hope it comes up later.

I am surprised Rose feels like she could easily kill Trace. Then again, I suppose old Trace would have liked to easily dispose of... well, anything.

Panther
Merchant

#4 Post by Panther »

This page is a renfort for my theory about Rose being the form in the secret room , and now she knows :natani:
Man is a wolf for man ........ Don't insult the wolves :natani:

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#5 Post by CrRAR »

...annnnd touchy-feely hug moment... over. lol

Ooo, wow. Rose immediately calculating... strategizing, she instantly recognizes her new abilities as a springboard to something... more. The threat there of indirect demise, beyond a distant goal, so direct.

aka “I could kill you in so many ways with this HOUSE.” >:3

“It’d be trivial for me to arrange your demise now.”

Like pretty much “Once I’m through with my newly formed plan my super-brain devised, you may as well be dead.” Like, hoooboy. Buckle up, buttercups.

Also, “Where that thing was kept.”... I think one or two things: an offhand comment about Rocky, or just what’s in the Rose room. If Rose Room, it’s either that Rose in her current form does not recognize her former self as... herself. Like evolved beyond a mere mortal coil... or it is a separate experiment, individual, power-source whathaveyou. Innnnterrresting.

Most excelllllent~ :twisted:
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

Hayate
The Hidden User

#6 Post by Hayate »

Oh, I’m really liking Rose now. That last panel is almost evil, she’s scary xD
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

trantor
Apprentice

#7 Post by trantor »

tony1695 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:14 pm If it were the old Trace, she almost certainly would be happy to use her powers to off him. Of course, the old Trace never would have removed the safeguards he put in place.
I doubt that she had to actually think about whether or not to kill him, she probably just wanted to mess with Trace.
Like she would have said: "Now I know what you did last summer...... and the summer before and before" :mrgreen:

BadJoke
Templar GrandMaster

#8 Post by BadJoke »

She is so... British!

The way she talks about the "thing"... she doesn't seem related to it...

Still the actual arc is weirdly built. We're switching from one "characters interaction" to another every two pages (or almost)... it's getting disjointed, and a tiny bit hard to get invested in the drama.
Criminals are less dangerous than virtuous people: they kill less.

Rafe
Council Member

#9 Post by Rafe »

Still, there are a lot of serious, unanswered questions, such as:

What exactly is "that thing", Rose is referring to? Is it something outside of her created by Trace? Does it hold something (or most) of he physical self? Or maybe something involving Saria?

Is Rose (assuming what we see here is the real Rose) capable of controlling herself, or might she become corrupted with the increased power she has?

We can see she isn't all-forgiving. She still hasn't forgiven Euchre. ['m still half-convinced that Euchre, if he hasn't already, is willing to sacrifice something very significant to ease her pain somehow, not to gain forgiveness (he probably has no
hope for that), but for selfless reasons.] Would she use her "unrestricted power" in some selfish way?

Speaking of her contact with Euchre, is what has happened given Trace a look at too much of what she was supposed to keep him from? Will she find it necessary to get help from Euchre? Will Nora become involved?

Some major things are getting turned loose here. We can make some guesses, but as usual, all we can do is wait and see what happens.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#10 Post by Eclipse »

Okay, Rose is really creeping me out now. Old Trace really was right to keep her restricted.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#11 Post by Warrl »

Eclipse wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:50 am Okay, Rose is really creeping me out now. Old Trace really was right to keep her restricted.
I agree... Old Trace, given what he was, really needed to keep her restricted.

However, she knows that New Trace is not Old Trace. If she didn't, it would have been very unwise of her to mention that she's capable of arranging his demise - because I'm sure Old Trace could and would arrange hers much faster. Or just re-establish the limits.

New Trace probably could kill her too, perhaps after studying his own old magic books for a while... but he wouldn't. And she is pretty confident of that.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#12 Post by tony1695 »

Warrl wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:15 am I agree... Old Trace, given what he was, really needed to keep her restricted.

However, she knows that New Trace is not Old Trace. If she didn't, it would have been very unwise of her to mention that she's capable of arranging his demise - because I'm sure Old Trace could and would arrange hers much faster. Or just re-establish the limits.

New Trace probably could kill her too, perhaps after studying his own old magic books for a while... but he wouldn't. And she is pretty confident of that.
Alternatively, Trace is the only one who can free her (assuming she's trapped), and knowing that he's in a mental state to seriously consider the idea and likely make an attempt makes offing him at this point unwise.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Shockwave07
Apprentice

#13 Post by Shockwave07 »

That is kind of scary... But she's still someone who's been faking things, so no telling what she been hiding in her mind besides her real accent.

Still an interesting plot twist. Is she going to remain a friend, or will something push her over the edge...

Foxx Trotter
Council Member

#14 Post by Foxx Trotter »

Something tells me that Rose is going to tease Trace from time to time (knowing that he's not the Old Trace)...in a 'fun' way to keep him on his toes, but nothing significantly tormenting. She knows not to push his buttons too much. We shall see how things progress.

Rose has Zen and Natani to torment, anyway, if she so chooses. :P (just being fun)
Videre videnda.

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#15 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Soooo... "Like a spider-web", eh?

I suppose Tom could still be stringing us along, intentionally tossing out a red herring here for us to misinterpret, but I don't really think so. I think this further reinforces the idea that some part of Rose is in that room, whether it's her physical body or whatever. And now we have confirmation that, whatever was done to her, it was indeed old Trace that did it. I think there's still a lot coming on this topic - of course, in the usual Twokinds fashion we probably won't find out until next year sometime, given the number of plot threads currently in progress! :grin:

I think it's interesting to note that this also confirms that old Trace definitely didn't trust her. Even now, even *without* her restrictions, she still is barred from attacking him directly (I would assume that means attacking him with the mansion's defenses, which I would presume are hardcoded to not go after him), but he didn't think that was enough. He felt he had to further bind her, and not only restricting her abilities and influence over the manor, but also restricting her *mind* so she's not even fully aware of everything he's locked away from her. In other words, he didn't trust her to not stab him in the back. She may have been Saria's loyal friend, but that's not enough.

And, of course, old Trace may have been paranoid, but that doesn't mean he didn't actually have enemies. Obviously we can't say for sure, but it seems likely to me that he probably was smart to not give Rose free reign. We've already seen that Rose and old Trace apparently didn't have the most cordial relationship. She was at least partially (even if not *fully*) aware of what he'd done to her, and she was also apparently at least peripherally aware of his other activities (i.e. the general 'literally hitler' stuff), and it doesn't seem she particularly approved of him. If she hadn't been magically prevented from doing so, she may well *have* tried to do something about it.

That last line may well have been partly to mess with him, but I actually wouldn't be surprised if she actually *had* had to think about it a bit. Look at it from her perspective. This is the man who took the memory of her best friend and used it as an excuse to launch a genocidal crusade against her kind. This is the man who'd usurped power in a bloody coup and instituted a brutal regime, setting policy and issuing repressive laws as if he were a king. This is the man who has personally murdered hundreds, if not thousands, of people and has brought about the deaths of likely thousands more through his purges and intrigues and massacres and reprisals - not to mention the war he provoked! This is the man who'd taken the previously fairly good relations between humans and keidran and driven them to a fever pitch of mistrust and hatred and the brink of open war. And this is the man who'd bound her, body and soul, to be his servant such that she couldn't even *try* to stop him - or even truly be aware of what he'd taken from her!

And now, after years of being helpless, unable to do anything about it, suddenly she's unbound. Suddenly, sensations and feelings she'd almost forgotten come rushing back, her own mind and will restored to her - along with awareness of what had been done to her. And here, in front of her, is the man responsible for all of that. The tyrant, the man who'd taken the world and shoved it in the express elevator to hell, the one who'd betrayed the memory of her best friend and turned her into little more than a slave. Right here. Vulnerable. And she *can* strike at him now. He's metaphorically standing with his back turned and she has a knife in her hand and the freedom to swing it. She finally has a chance to *do* something, strike back in some way. In that rush, that moment of awareness after so long, who *wouldn't* be tempted to drive the blade home, at least for a moment?

And yet... and yet... it's not actually him. Trace the tyrant wouldn't have cared about the safety of others to begin with if they weren't important to his plans, wouldn't have unshackled her for their sake. Trace the tyrant wouldn't have been concerned for *her* wellbeing, wouldn't have asked if *she* was alright. Trace the tyrant would have responded to her statement of his vulnerability with violence (or, at least, an attempt to regain control), not nervousness. The entire *reason* he's vulnerable, that she *could* strike at him, is that it's not him. And I think she knows it. She may be tempted - and I certainly wouldn't blame her if she were a bit unstable after so long under such pressure! - but I think she understands now.

e: Also, note - fully normal eyes now. Even when the facade was cracked, her eyes still didn't have quite the same shading as everyone else's. Everyone else has the tops of their eyes with a black shadow - the colored iris doesn't go all the way up to the top. Rose, even when we saw behind the mask, didn't have that. She had a darker shading at the top, but not the black - but now she does. Somehow I can't think that's a coincidence.