Comic for February 16th, 2019: Outside World Lesson One: Emotional Support

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

Re: Comic for February 16th, 2019: Outside World Lesson One: Emotional Support

#31 Post by BadFoMo »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:22 amThis feels to me like it might be the setup for a scene change. I wonder where we'll go next - back to Trace and Rose?
Nope; they're going to the dungeon to check up on the newly rescued prisoners.

Rose or Trace: Uh, should we come back later?

In all seriousness, yes, the scene is going to change back to them. Although I am cheating since I'm commenting from the future where the comic will be posted in a few hours.

Anyway, I just want to pop in for a bit and mildly ruin this page by saying that it reminds me of that one scene from 'The Secret of N.I.M.H. 2: Timmy to the Rescue' where Timmy and Jenny are captured.
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#32 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:03 am There is also the fact that a comic is not a very efficient way to tell a story.
Since when?
Well Tom's comic format is a high-quality 825x1075 pixel image. Using standard RGB so a tri-channel image, each pixel is thus composed of 3 8-bit values, kinda surprised he did not used 16 bit color, thus we end with:

Code: Select all

886875 [pixels] x 3 [channels] x 1 [byte/pixel] = 2660625 [bytes] =  2.66 [MegaBytes]  

Of course ignoring compression which reduces the file size drastically.
That is over two million characters or around a 500 page book depending on formatting, letter size a whatnot. But what i am trying to say is that words, spoken or written evolved to be a very effective efficient method to transmit information, Images not so much.

In any case Mr. Aitaituo did a better job explaning it:
aitaituo wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:20 pm As others have said, professional studios average one page per day. A thousand words can be comfortably written in under an hour. A number of famous books were written over a weekend and many excellent books have been written with only a minimum of editing, which is usually the longest part of writing. The drawing process is a lot more involved. Usually when a book takes years to finish it's because the author is working on it part time, as a hobby, rewritten it multiple times, or has gone full JRR Tolkien. Tom's publication pace is pretty respectable considering the high quality of the art, especially now that he's doing sketches for patreon 5 or more days per week.
Yeah Tom commitment to his comic is something to marvel at. When i ran the numbers the most the world has ever been without a new page is around 20 days! So for the past 15 years the longest vacations Tom has taken from this is less than a month. If that is not dedication then i have no idea what it is.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#33 Post by aitaituo »

It's even more impressive when you remember that for, like, the first six years Tom was also a full time student. The art quality was lower then, though.