Spoiler! sketch

Alt text = The Dungeons

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

Re: Comic for Feb 2nd, 2019: The Dungeons

#2 Post by Dadrobit »

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#3 Post by CrRAR »

Ooo, a break in the action... for now.

;_;

Nothing like defeat to bring out that ol' instinctive Basitin dishonor. Don't beat yourself up too hard Maddie! ...I reckon Rocky did quite enough of that already. Oh good, she ends up being fine health-wise; good news everyone! An official age too! 47 you ain't. lol

Excellent lighting and shading, the occlusion/feathering (bawk bawk) to it especially in Panels 1/4/5 & 8 make the pair pop off the page. Stunning. :shock:

I suppose this time together will be good for them, more friends in the world the better. Reminds me of a quote from Halo...

"Fate had us meet as foes... but this [estate] will make us [sisters]."
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

Warrl
Grand Templar

#4 Post by Warrl »

I never did believe her claim of being almost 14, in a species that ages "like humans". It didn't fit with her rank, her being acceptable as fill-in for the (as yet undetermined) Intelligence General, or her alleged status as one of the Basitins' more-highly-regarded spies.

17... in that society... is vastly more credible.

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#5 Post by SpottedKitty »

Looks like we're finally getting the plain, unvarnished truth from Maddie. And all it took was a monster stone golem almost succeeding in tent-pegging her.

Interesting background, a chicken in one cage (so that's where the eggs have been going!) and a keidran-looking skull sitting on top of another (but not inside).

I wonder; did Rose intend to send Karen and Maddy to the dungeon, or was that the only "get them out of there" teleport destination she had available? On the gripping hand, at least the cage they popped into wasn't... erm... complete with previous occupant.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#6 Post by CrRAR »

SpottedKitty wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:37 pm Interesting background, a chicken in one cage (so that's where the eggs have been going!)
Indeed, must've been quite meddlesome, that one.
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#7 Post by SirJahar »

So... any idea where all this is coming from? Maddie's thoughts about her mom have been pretty generic-angsty-teen, in stark contrast to her happy-go-lucky teen characterization in everything prior to the last two chapters. The amount of character change we are expected to buy happened in the time Natani was down is mind boggling, and is getting hard to keep tallie of.
And we also have to assume Maddie's not lieing now to get Karren to STFU about her being a kid. For all we know she could be 14, 23, 17, anything.
While I'll grant that Maddie has been kinda obsessed about her supposed detriments compared to her mother since the morning, it still seems bizarre that she's been on this "I'm an adult" charade since they got to port. Before then, she was content to appear however someone saw here as long as it played even vaguely to her benefit, usually involving getting people to give her a pass or at least underestimating her.
And I will still call back to the time I made a list of all the different heights Maddie has had since her introduction, making anything we are told feel, well, cheap.

Yes, her being 17 fits better with her being allowed on the tribunal at Keith's trial, but considering she seems to have been the protege of the master general, and has been in his personal intelligence forces for who knows how long, she could have been fairly high rank because there weren't a lot of others who even qualified for the program in the first place.

themunck
Traveler

#8 Post by themunck »

...Sorry Maddie, but if your species are supposed to age like humans, then 17 is still a kid, or at least certainly not an adult who's finished developing yet. Frankly, getting to a rank where they let you sit in on a tribunal even at that age is astonishing.

But oh well, I guess it's just Twokinds showing its roots again. It's always been somewhat anime/manga inspired, and the common tropes there certainly are 15 = kid, 18 = full adult, 22 = midlife crisis and 30+ = old, with 50+ = grandparent half the size of the 15-year-old and who's seen everything.

Kyrit
Templar

#9 Post by Kyrit »

Oh look, barely more than a little banged up as I stated.

Anyways, for those doubting this is her real age based on "studying under a master general" .... that master general was 19 when he died. Keith is a diplomat and he's 19. So 17 for being Alaric's underling really doesn't seem far fetched.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#10 Post by aitaituo »

themunck wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:10 pm ...Sorry Maddie, but if your species are supposed to age like humans, then 17 is still a kid, or at least certainly not an adult who's finished developing yet. Frankly, getting to a rank where they let you sit in on a tribunal even at that age is astonishing.
I figured she was a little older than 17, too. But historically 16 was the age when people took on adult responsibilities and it's not unfathomable that the daughter of the King, protege of the Master General, at a period when their leadership was in chaos would rise quickly. They do literally duel to advance in rank. Trace is the less believable age.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#11 Post by Eclipse »

themunck wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:10 pm ...Sorry Maddie, but if your species are supposed to age like humans, then 17 is still a kid, or at least certainly not an adult who's finished developing yet. Frankly, getting to a rank where they let you sit in on a tribunal even at that age is astonishing.

But oh well, I guess it's just Twokinds showing its roots again. It's always been somewhat anime/manga inspired, and the common tropes there certainly are 15 = kid, 18 = full adult, 22 = midlife crisis and 30+ = old, with 50+ = grandparent half the size of the 15-year-old and who's seen everything.
In terms of legality, maybe. But in terms of physical growth/development, which is what she's talking about, she's more or less an adult. When she says she's not a "kid" she's responding to Karen thinking she might have some big growth spurt in a few years, she's past that point by now.

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#12 Post by Hulk10 »

Well now we know her actual age.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#13 Post by Dadrobit »

SirJahar wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:54 pm So... any idea where all this is coming from? Maddie's thoughts about her mom have been pretty generic-angsty-teen, in stark contrast to her happy-go-lucky teen characterization in everything prior to the last two chapters. The amount of character change we are expected to buy happened in the time Natani was down is mind boggling, and is getting hard to keep tallie of.
And we also have to assume Maddie's not lieing now to get Karren to STFU about her being a kid. For all we know she could be 14, 23, 17, anything.
While I'll grant that Maddie has been kinda obsessed about her supposed detriments compared to her mother since the morning, it still seems bizarre that she's been on this "I'm an adult" charade since they got to port. Before then, she was content to appear however someone saw here as long as it played even vaguely to her benefit, usually involving getting people to give her a pass or at least underestimating her.
And I will still call back to the time I made a list of all the different heights Maddie has had since her introduction, making anything we are told feel, well, cheap.

Yes, her being 17 fits better with her being allowed on the tribunal at Keith's trial, but considering she seems to have been the protege of the master general, and has been in his personal intelligence forces for who knows how long, she could have been fairly high rank because there weren't a lot of others who even qualified for the program in the first place.
I was actually working on a side comic featuring Maddie's career on the island with Tom and essentially the long and short of it was that she's lived her whole life being seen as a disappointment by the Basitins who wanted another King Adelaide (irrespective of the fact that Maddie was actually quite capable and successful in her own right). Leaving the island was her way of trying to go out and prove herself abroad. And here she is just barely after hitting the mainland getting handily bested by a statue. She sees her defeat as something that has substantiated her detractors' accusations and is a helluva shot to her confidence.

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

#14 Post by IHeartMaeve »

So, disregarding all the long comments and those that say what I’d have said...

I must admit, Maddie revealing herself to actually be a year older than Karen rather than a couple years younger was... unexpected, to say the least. And this is coming in part from a guy who never took height into account when trying to figure out her age (Ah, screw it. I never tried to figure out whether her statement about being nearly 14 was true or not.) Not that I can relate to her depleted self-esteem from being the daughter of some famous living legend and thus living with unachievably-high expectations or anything, but I can tell that must be hard.

Not to ramble on about myself for the sake of explanation or anything, but I lately seem to have some sort of ability to relate emotionally to fictional characters, even if I have had no life experiences that would enable me to do so. (Half-joking tone follows) Maybe one could call it “Reality-Proof Empathic Capacity.” (Back to normal tone) Or maybe Tom is just that good a writer, or maybe it’s both; I don’t know!
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#15 Post by tony1695 »

You're basing your assumption on our society. We don't know how Basitin society works in this regard. Enlistment (or conscription) could begin at 12, or even younger. Weapons training might start even younger yet, given a (likely non-canon) piece where Keith was gifted a spear at a young age.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD