Comic for Feb 2nd, 2019: The Dungeons

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

Re: Comic for Feb 2nd, 2019: The Dungeons

#61 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

BadJoke wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:42 pm Now little silly hypothesis: Karen notices the scared little chicken and adopts it. And now team A has its own pet, a poor templar forced to "play" with Mrs. Nibbly. :P
This made my mind suddenly connect the following:
- Trace's estate is guarded by a spell that turns unwelcome guests into animals.
- Nibbly is a squirrel who acts in a strange sentient way.
Theory: perhaps Nibbly is a victim of Trace's estate's curse? After all, she did seem terrified of entering the estate.
I wouldn't be surprised if someone on this forum has already suggested this

Also, the idea of the chicken as a pet reminds me of "Chicken" from the Dreamworks Dragons TV series :P

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#62 Post by tony1695 »

People are hypothesising that the helmeted Basitin is some significant leadership figure, but I think he's just a stand-in for the armed forces. After all, another 7ft juggernaut would be a boon.

And for a militaristic society, they seem to have a poor grasp of just how devastatingly effective a good covert operative is. Then again, given how much a focus they seem to place on honour, the idea of a war that isn't a string of forward marches into enemy defences is probably one they don't like.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Warrl
Grand Templar

#63 Post by Warrl »

tony1695 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:10 amAnd for a militaristic society, they seem to have a poor grasp of just how devastatingly effective a good covert operative is.
I don't think it's that - it seems she's earned a good deal of respect within the Intelligence division (otherwise she wouldn't have the rank of Lieutenant, and the contenders for Intelligence General wouldn't have found her an acceptable compromise to represent the division at Keith's trial).

I think it's more of a matter of "our huge super-buff king's child should be huge and super-buff - not smaller than average!"

ZeroJinKui
Banned
Banned

#64 Post by ZeroJinKui »

so it's exactly as i said earlier when she went all edward elric about her size, maddie has inferiority issues.

she doesn't measure up to mommy, so she throws herself into danger to try proving herself.

she has a lot of life lessons to learn.

just because you're someone's child, doesn't mean you're supposed to be a clone of them, for one.
"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax

Warrl
Grand Templar

#65 Post by Warrl »

I don't think Maddie thinks she should be a clone - rather, she believes some other people (including several generals) think she should be a clone, and resents it.

And I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there's a substantial amount of evidence supporting that view.

(But if she thought about her rank and the authority she's been given on various occasions (particularly Keith's trial, but there may have been others we didn't see), she'd realize that not everyone is so prejudiced about her.

amenon
Grand Templar

#66 Post by amenon »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:16 am She did mention : "... if you really care about the lives of others..." in a rather worried tone so i am gonna assume yes she cares, even if only because they are her evil overlord boss guests. As I mentioned probably fastest or most accessible place in that particular moment. But now that you mention is highly likely she knows Maddie saw something, since it is on everyone best interest Traces never hears about it I wonder if she will try to "silence" maddie
Following on your second point, she was doing what she could to get the power that she needed to do what she wanted. The sincerity of her means in getting to that end (and what that end precisely is, really) are to be determined.

Technic[Bot] wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:16 am Regarding the Basitin hierachy lack of foresight regarding Maddie and her up-bringing. I always imagined Basitins had very strict anti-nepotism laws hence Maddie benefited little from her mother's title. But then How did Aster got where he ended?
I'd imagine that you don't get very far in the basitin hierarchy without ability -- but at the same time, you're always going to go farther with both ability and opportunity than ability alone. A General's son knows what it is to be a General, not only in the abstract, but in the specific. And is more likely to have the ambition as well, whether it be their own or the expectations of their parents. (See Keith's backstory.)

Murphy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:42 am I dunno, the visual cue of him chewing on a stalk gives me a deja vu (can't figure it out).
Only instance I can think of in the comic proper is Zen.

Though I guess you might also be thinking of Sirus smoking.
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#67 Post by aitaituo »

He vaguely reminds me of Sirus, but it's obviously not.

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#68 Post by Hulk10 »

Maddie also reminds me of Hiccup from HTTYD. Hiccup was insecure about his small size and this made him try to prove himself, and that led to causing chaos and Hiccup just couldn't see that the cause of his misery was himself. Maddie though doesn't seem to be the cause of her own misery. Hmm.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

Rafe
Council Member

#69 Post by Rafe »

amenon wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:03 pm
Murphy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:42 am I dunno, the visual cue of him chewing on a stalk gives me a deja vu (can't figure it out).
Only instance I can think of in the comic proper is Zen.

Though I guess you might also be thinking of Sirus smoking.
There was also this image:

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#70 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Oh before we get the next strip in the foreseeable future I wanted to add some last thing:
I commented before how all the sketches with Maddie and Maeve running the bar made me fell a bit "uneasy" as she decided to leave country and family behind to run a small town tavern. I knew that maybe Basitin Anti Nepotims laws could prevent her from any real chance at the throne, but her mother still lived back in the isles ...
Alas at that time the whole thing seemed more like some far out, side story, alternate universe idea and the whole Maddieve (?) ship was not even a dream. But now we may have a reason for her to stay. Back at home no matter how hard she tries nor how good she actually is she will always be compared with the statua of a woman that is her mother. So starting fresh in a different continent would be a good way to prove herself without "the goats" constant nannig nor the bullying from he peers or unfair comparison to family. It is a little sad situation to be in but it is a somewhat valid reason to leave.
Except for her mother I imagine King Adelaide is worried sick for her daugther, I mean she is no that young and she is a capable operative but still she went as a stowaway in a cross-continent journey to a war zone. So I think is safe to assume she is worried.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.

#71 Post by Hulk10 »

I'm pretty sure that Maddie wasn't ordered to go so I doubt her mother was pleased by her following them.

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#72 Post by Eclipse »

Hulk10 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:19 am I'm pretty sure that Maddie wasn't ordered to go so I doubt her mother was pleased by her following them.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure she wasn't all too pleased about that.

This is exactly why I suspect Maddie is half-Western like Keith. A pure Eastern probably wouldn't be inclined to go off on their own like that and just generally cause chaos like she does.

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster

#73 Post by Hulk10 »

Eclipse wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:59 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:19 am I'm pretty sure that Maddie wasn't ordered to go so I doubt her mother was pleased by her following them.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure she wasn't all too pleased about that.

This is exactly why I suspect Maddie is half-Western like Keith. A pure Eastern probably wouldn't be inclined to go off on their own like that and just generally cause chaos like she does.
Indeed, she likely is.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#74 Post by AmigaDragon »

Ddraig wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:35 pm There's still the question of why did Rose teleport them to the dungeon?. Maybe it's the only place she can teleport people (because it was only included as a security mechanism), sure, but why would OldTrace have put that limiter on it? (Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure that limit would've been lifted too). There are plenty of other places that would've made more sense to teleport them to - the lobby, their rooms, the infirmary - that I'm seriously questioning why they got teleported to the dungeons.
It could be that any teleport not initiated by Trace (or Nora) automatically gets redirected to the dungeons.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Warrl
Grand Templar

#75 Post by Warrl »

And I still think that Rose didn't teleport them. She just triggered a preset spell, cast by Nora or Trace, with a preset destination. If I'm right, asking why she teleported them there rather than elsewhere is like asking why you drop things down rather than sideways.