Comic for January 27, 2019: Lifting the Veil

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

Re: Comic for January 27, 2019: Lifting the Veil

#46 Post by Cosmacelf »

CrRAR wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:28 pm One calming note that I brought up before is that Euchre talked directly to Rose via projection. He knows something of the affairs at the estate... He's not horrified. Unless he doesn't know details... or accepts artificial life-extension as normal. He's not alarmed about Rose's position. That said, he is a very means-to-an-ends type of guy.
Euchre does indeed know a thing or two about life extension...

http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/242/

Panther
Merchant

#47 Post by Panther »

CrRAR wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:28 pm One calming note that I brought up before is that Euchre talked directly to Rose via projection. He knows something of the affairs at the estate... He's not horrified. Unless he doesn't know details... or accepts artificial life-extension as normal. He's not alarmed about Rose's position. That said, he is a very means-to-an-ends type of guy.
That's why he doesn't want Trace sees what there is in this room ......... I've read again all the pages about these moments (and about the manor too) .......... And the best "candidat" is always Rose (;_;)
Man is a wolf for man ........ Don't insult the wolves :natani:

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#48 Post by Hulk10 »

Panther wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:13 pm
That's why he doesn't want Trace sees what there is in this room ......... I've read again all the pages about these moments (and about the manor too) .......... And the best "candidat" is always Rose (;_;)
So your saying he doesn't want Trace to know about life extension?
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

Panther
Merchant

#49 Post by Panther »

Hulk10 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:03 pm
Panther wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:13 pm
So your saying he doesn't want Trace to know about life extension?
I say Euchre doesn't want about the "new" Trace knowing what the "old" one has made to Rose ....................
Man is a wolf for man ........ Don't insult the wolves :natani:

detrius
Citizen

#50 Post by detrius »

Okay, the outline of the hair makes the shadow look a bit like Trace.

But I actually think it's Rose's body, held in a state of suspended animation, and that the Rose we've seen so far is some kind of projection.

1. Trace removed her restraints, and then the door opened - suggesting that the door was part of those restraints.
2. It would make perfect sense to block her from interfering with this part of the mansion in order to prevent her from aiding anyone who'd attempt to rescue her.
3. The group has been talking about just staying in the mansion since it's so secure. From a storytelling PoV, they need a reason to move on, like wrecking the security system by freeing Rose.
4. The thematic link is obvious. There's a frickin' rose over the door, FFS:

Basically, I agree with those who think that Old Trace probably gave Rose a Barclay upgrade and turned her into the computer that runs his smart home devices. Her hair is just a bit dishevelled after all the time that has passed.

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.

#51 Post by Hulk10 »

I dunno. I'm not convinced that the figure in the room is Roselyn. It could be an additional body for Trace. To my eyes the hair style is more reminiscent of Trace's hair.

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

detrius
Citizen

#52 Post by detrius »

Maybe it's just unkempt hair.

Ddraig
Templar Master

#53 Post by Ddraig »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:40 pm
Ddraig wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:13 pmThe top of the figure's head looks similar to Rose's original hairstyle, but the shadow only has a small offset at neck level that only might (in my opinion) be just large enough to be her braid at an angle. Personally, I'm more inclined towards the idea that it's not Rose. The hair looks more like Trace's to me, but the real clincher that it's not Rose is that the figure doesn't have visible ears. That rules out any of the Keidran races, leaving Humans and Lizardfolk (if they had hair). It may be some form of inter-race or spirit chimera, but if so, the head is human.
I don't think we could *see* the ears from this angle. They're not on the top of the head, they're on the sides (which we can't see), as can be noted on old!Rose in the top few panels. And, as also visible in those panels, Tom very often draws the characters with the ears pinned back, further reducing their visibility given that the floating/whatever figure is presumably facing towards the camera. The braid could also easily just be hanging down her back, which would not be visible in the shadow.
Ears pinned back is a tense posture, though; one that has to be maintained either because the person is scared/angry or consciously for 'proper-ness' or whatever you want to call it. That figure doesn't look scared or angry. Tired/just waking up, maybe, probably unconscious, but not scared/angry. Given the situation (tubes everywhere and probably less than mentally alert) I doubt they're in a caring mood about their prim and properness. Especially if it's in-the-flesh-Rose and her and projection-Rose aren't the same consciousness. If it is in-the-flesh-Rose and her and projection-Rose are the same (and know it), I doubt she would have had as much issue with controlling the room (And I have this background assumption in my head that Rose didn't know what was in that room and I can't pinpoint where I got that from)
As for the hairstyle, Brahn doesn't have the sticking-up bits this outline does, his head is flatter on top. I agree that the small bit of hair we can see isn't enough to be conclusive, but I don't think it matches Brahn.
It doesn't match Brahn's hair, I was just using Brahn as an example of similarity.
detrius wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:27 am Maybe it's just unkempt hair.
I rather imagine it would be, given that whoever it is has likely been in there a while. I still expect it will be similar to the character's 'normal' hairstyle, though, just an unkempt version.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#54 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Ddraig wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:50 pm
MuonNeutrino wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:40 pm I don't think we could *see* the ears from this angle. They're not on the top of the head, they're on the sides (which we can't see), as can be noted on old!Rose in the top few panels. And, as also visible in those panels, Tom very often draws the characters with the ears pinned back, further reducing their visibility given that the floating/whatever figure is presumably facing towards the camera. The braid could also easily just be hanging down her back, which would not be visible in the shadow.
Ears pinned back is a tense posture, though; one that has to be maintained either because the person is scared/angry or consciously for 'proper-ness' or whatever you want to call it. That figure doesn't look scared or angry. Tired/just waking up, maybe, probably unconscious, but not scared/angry. Given the situation (tubes everywhere and probably less than mentally alert) I doubt they're in a caring mood about their prim and properness. Especially if it's in-the-flesh-Rose and her and projection-Rose aren't the same consciousness. If it is in-the-flesh-Rose and her and projection-Rose are the same (and know it), I doubt she would have had as much issue with controlling the room (And I have this background assumption in my head that Rose didn't know what was in that room and I can't pinpoint where I got that from)
In general, I agree that 'ears pinned back' is not a normal relaxed pose and normally should go with tense or angry emotions, and I actually personally think Tom overuses it a bit and draws characters like that in situations where it seems a bit odd, but in this particular case I can see it fitting, as it definitely *is* a tense situation. And I *do* personally think that in-the-flesh-Rose and projection-Rose are the same consciousness (if that's really what's going on, of course) - I think her not being able to control the room would simply be because of whatever shackles Trace put on her as part of the spell, not a sign of her not being aware of herself. As such, I'm assuming that since she has her ears pinned back in the first few panels, she'd have them pinned back as well in her other self.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, which is always the fun of this kind of speculation. :grin:

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster

#55 Post by Hulk10 »

I really doubt that the 'real' Rose is in that room.

ZeroJinKui
Banned
Banned

#56 Post by ZeroJinKui »

sotanaht wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:52 amRefer to this page
http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/1021/
Rose likely believes that covering certain things up is in Traces best interest, or at the very least most likely to keep him "friendly". What she believes is right and the end result of those actions may differ substantially, that's basically what I was saying.
ok, but there is a difference between keeping him happy and ignorant of his past, and betraying him.

i doubt she'd try harming or killing him, because that would be the exact opposite of what she'd WANT to do.

again, trace being alive and being good now is helping everyone.
"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax