Comic for January 19th, 2019: What Would An Adelaide Do

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

BadJoke
Templar GrandMaster

Re: Comic for January 19th, 2019: What Would An Adelaide Do

#16 Post by BadJoke »

As Xykon (from Order of the Stick) would say, "Power is equal to power": it all depends of your situation. Extreme stealth is awesome to disarm and rob people, or escape cells, but the moment you're facing a brute who's just going to punch you to death, well, it's useless.

It may have even been foreshadowed until now. Every time we saw Maddie do something awesome it was out of view, from us or the characters (opening a lock, disappearing without a trace, stealing people...), but every time she had to face someone directly she didn't manage so good (Eric imprisoned her without problem, mister green hair would have beaten her up if she had come with a way to buy him,...). The problem was always here, just not so visible or played for laugh.
Criminals are less dangerous than virtuous people: they kill less.

Panther
Merchant

#17 Post by Panther »

Seeing the fourth panel , i continue to say that it's a living creature : she needs lungs to breathe a "shuff" . And nobody can give lungs to a statue or a stone golem
Man is a wolf for man ........ Don't insult the wolves :natani:

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

#18 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

Rafe wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:49 pm In one example, the Golem of Prague was created when the word "truth", emet (מתא) inscribed in its forehead. When it was necessary to un-create it, the letter aleph was removed, leaving מת (met), which means "dead", and the golem returned to lifeless dust or clay.
Minor correction:
"emet" (meaning truth) is spelled אמת, not מתא

Warrl
Grand Templar

#19 Post by Warrl »

but every time she had to face someone directly she didn't manage so good (Eric imprisoned her without problem, mister green hair would have beaten her up if she had {not} come with a way to buy him,...)
Eric imprisoned her without problem when she made no apparent effort to fight him, and she escaped imprisonment with even less problem. Unfortunately, the thing she's fighting now is showing no sign of wanting to imprison her.

She was doing a decent job of evading mister green hair. Of course, she had room to evade, things to step behind, etc; and she has basitin stamina so there's reason to suspect she could simply outlast him. Now she's in a short narrow hallway with nothing but herself, Karen, and the thing that wants to flatten her - which is magically empowered so there's no way to know if it ever will get tired.

Rafe
Council Member

#20 Post by Rafe »

AndreRhineDavis wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:35 am ..."emet" (meaning truth) is spelled אמת, not מתא
Fixed. Thanks.

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#21 Post by Hulk10 »

Well hopefully Maddie won't be so arrogant in the future.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

ZeroJinKui
Banned
Banned

#22 Post by ZeroJinKui »

Rafe wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:50 am
ZeroJinKui wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:14 am run... run WHERE, maddie?!

Guess you missed that.
well i'm not going to cut out a piece of the page and post it, so here is the link to it...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20433

not to mention this part of the post you apparently only partially read...
ZeroJinKui wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:14 amare you deaf? cause i recall basitins having good hearing, she said the path is gone!
i guess you missed THAT.
"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#23 Post by MuonNeutrino »

ZeroJinKui wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:19 pmstuff
Maddie is talking about the *other* door, the one down the side passage next to the statue. Karen found that "the way we came from" was gone, not the side door, and Maddie knows it - despite what you might think, she's not a complete idiot. I know you don't like the character, but you're letting your prejudice against her blind you (or else just being as unobservant as you accuse her of being), and it's not particularly fair to her or the people you're talking to.

Kyrit
Templar

#24 Post by Kyrit »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:14 pm
Maddie is talking about the *other* door, the one down the side passage next to the statue. Karen found that "the way we came from" was gone, not the side door, and Maddie knows it - despite what you might think, she's not a complete idiot. I know you don't like the character, but you're letting your prejudice against her blind you (or else just being as unobservant as you accuse her of being), and it's not particularly fair to her or the people you're talking to.
In fact, there's two doors to choose from; Muon mentioned the side door, but there's also the one they were trying to go in before they got attacked. Maddie easily could have meant either door, though I'd assume like Muon did that she meant the door down the side page since it would be closer to Karen and also wouldn't require going past the giant stone lizard.

Honestly, I'd be really surprised if Maddie is faring all that badly. Coughing up blood after taking a heavy frontal blow is used all the time for dramatic flare in cartoons. Meanwhile we had an on screen *CRACK!* and *SLUMP* when Nibbly by all rights should have had her neck/back broken but instead just shook it off like it was nothing.

I'm all for consequences, but this doesn't seem as bad in comparison (yet). She's already showing signs of being able to get up and make another move if she's able to audibly talk that much rather than lie in a puddle on the floor just thinking 'this is it, we die here'

TheMouse
Templar GrandMaster

#25 Post by TheMouse »

Kyrit wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:37 pm
In fact, there's two doors to choose from; Muon mentioned the side door, but there's also the one they were trying to go in before they got attacked. Maddie easily could have meant either door, though I'd assume like Muon did that she meant the door down the side page since it would be closer to Karen and also wouldn't require going past the giant stone lizard.

Honestly, I'd be really surprised if Maddie is faring all that badly. Coughing up blood after taking a heavy frontal blow is used all the time for dramatic flare in cartoons. Meanwhile we had an on screen *CRACK!* and *SLUMP* when Nibbly by all rights should have had her neck/back broken but instead just shook it off like it was nothing.

I'm all for consequences, but this doesn't seem as bad in comparison (yet). She's already showing signs of being able to get up and make another move if she's able to audibly talk that much rather than lie in a puddle on the floor just thinking 'this is it, we die here'
Nibs' miraculous recovery has been heavily speculated to be unnatural, not just a case of Tom hamming things up. I'm going with the Baby Dragon theory, personally. Meanwhile, we've had plenty of opportunities to see injured basitins here and there. Maddie's hurt, not as much as a human would be, perhaps, but hurt.
_____
Submission is not weakness.
It takes a far stronger will to submit with grace and dignity than to pretend to be strong.
Unknown wrote:Live your life in such a way that the Westboro Baptist Church will picket your funeral.

ZeroJinKui
Banned
Banned

#26 Post by ZeroJinKui »

until you can prove what maddie was actually talking about, it sounds like she was just telling karen to run the way they came, since that is the way karen went, and maddie didn't exactly make it clear where she was telling karen to run.

don't you dare accuse me of prejudice, because that is one of my BIGGEST berserk buttons.

i absolutely despise prejudice and double standards.

you talk about me being unfair, but then you go ahead and start blindly throwing out false accusations that are despicable crimes.

maddie irritates me with her behavior, but it doesn't go any further than that.
"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster

#27 Post by MuonNeutrino »

ZeroJinKui wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:29 amstuff
Regarding Maddie's statements... They didn't come in to this part of the hallway through a door, as is evidenced by the vaulted ceiling pattern behind Maddie's head in the third panel. If there's a door they came through, it's further back, not here. (I would also submit that, given they were previously chasing each other through the halls, it's unlikely that Karen would have stopped to open and run through a door.) And after the statue attacks, Karen reaches the dead end within moments, so the blockage is right here, where they were in comic 1048, not further away where any hypothetical door they came through might have been. (This is also evidenced by the fact that Karen is still close enough to reach the statue immediately in comic 1053.) Karen then announces that "The way we came from... it's a dead end!" in a statement specifically directed towards Maddie, and the two are easily close enough to hear each other. Maddie then immediately responds to that by saying "Karen! Go for the door!" (emphasis mine). It would make absolutely zero sense for Maddie to be referring to some hypothetical door further down the hallway that they came through when Karen just said that the way they came from was a dead end. It also would make zero sense for Maddie to have to tell Karen to keep running in the direction they came from, because Karen was already doing that until she ran into the blockage. The fact that Maddie felt she needed to tell Karen to do something at all suggests that she wanted Karen to do something different to what she had already been doing - i.e. going for the side door that Maddie (and Tom) were careful to note was there. There also would be no particular need for Maddie to try to distract the statue if all she wanted Karen to do was to keep running in the direction she was already going, as in that case Karen is already past the statue and has a clear path to escape - that only makes sense if Karen would need to do something (like, oh, coming back to the side corridor closer to the main door) that would keep her dangerously close to the statue.

I see no reasonable way to read this sequence of events as anything other than Maddie telling Karen to run for the side door. In particular, Maddie would have to be a complete moron, which she has demonstrated repeatedly she's not, to tell Karen to run the way they came not two seconds after Karen just finished announcing that that way was blocked. You read this comic and, rather than giving the character the benefit of the doubt that her past portrayal in the comic deserves and trying to figure out what she was actually talking about, immediately assumed that she was being an idiot (and not in a particularly respectful manner, either). If you don't want people to suggest you're being prejudiced against a character, then you probably shouldn't act like it.

ZeroJinKui
Banned
Banned

#28 Post by ZeroJinKui »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:47 pm hate speech
first of all, after what you accused me of, nothing you say will change anything.

if you don't want to be viewed as a terrible person, don't act like it.

also, try using more properly structured posts, instead of a wall of text.
Last edited by Hayate on Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Locked; pending action

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster

#29 Post by MuonNeutrino »

ZeroJinKui wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:16 amstuff
So, you have no response to the logic of my post other than insults? Good to know. Please feel free to come back some other time if you can come up with an actual argument. And if you think *that's* a wall of text, you really know nothing about me. I could comment further on the hilarious irony of your other statements, but it's not sporting to duel an unarmed man so I think I'll just leave it at that.

Ddraig
Templar Master

#30 Post by Ddraig »

ZeroJinKui wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:16 am
MuonNeutrino wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:47 pm hate speech
first of all, after what you accused me of, nothing you say will change anything.

if you don't want to be viewed as a terrible person, don't act like it.

also, try using more properly structured posts, instead of a wall of text.
Nothing Muon said was "hate speech", however negative statements about a person (rather than a description of a belief) do qualify under that heading
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."