Comic for December 22nd, 2018: Guardian

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

Re: Comic for December 22nd, 2018: Guardian

#31 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Ddraig wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:12 pm A golem might be more effective against a magic user strong enough to bypass the chickenifying field or a rogue clever enough to get invited in (and probably wear protection from magic amulets).
For what little i know about DnD. I have always wanted to play it but i have never had anyone to play it with, A sorcerer/wizard/mage character of high enough level to bypass dragon magic probably has a lot of spells, to the point some GM's complain about not being able to properly play the game since they bypass any obstacle. So I imagine a "turn off magic golem" spell is not something impossible for such a mage to cast. Getting past the perceptive distorsion field might be problematic, but I am pretty sure there is another spell for that.
On the other hand if it is a rogue you are talking about all measures are meaningless as he could simply seduce Rose to the point she disables all the security, hand everything not nailed to the ground to him and leaves the manor with the rogue.
Alas as i said at first, i have a very limited knowledge of DnD so I am probably wrong on a lot of accounts.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#32 Post by BadFoMo »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:52 am...what i am trying to say here it is that this scene feels much more "gamey" than usual. I do not think it is bad per se*, but my inmersion is already strained by itself.

*I have found that people who play DnD regularly tend to be good writers.
Maybe as well as being a security measure, having a Golem instead of an instant 'Kill Intruders' enchantment was more entertaining to Trace_Old. Plus, having a Golem outside the laboratory but in the secret hallway would probably keep damage to the laboratory down to a minimum.
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

Ddraig
Templar Master

#33 Post by Ddraig »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:13 am
Ddraig wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:12 pm A golem might be more effective against a magic user strong enough to bypass the chickenifying field or a rogue clever enough to get invited in (and probably wear protection from magic amulets).
For what little i know about DnD. I have always wanted to play it but i have never had anyone to play it with, A sorcerer/wizard/mage character of high enough level to bypass dragon magic probably has a lot of spells, to the point some GM's complain about not being able to properly play the game since they bypass any obstacle. So I imagine a "turn off magic golem" spell is not something impossible for such a mage to cast. Getting past the perceptive distorsion field might be problematic, but I am pretty sure there is another spell for that.
On the other hand if it is a rogue you are talking about all measures are meaningless as he could simply seduce Rose to the point she disables all the security, hand everything not nailed to the ground to him and leaves the manor with the rogue.
Alas as i said at first, i have a very limited knowledge of DnD so I am probably wrong on a lot of accounts.
nonono, that's a bard that would seduce Rose, no matter how impossible. As for a "turn off magic golem" spell, the golem creator would have one and it'd be keyed to him/her, but anyone else would either have to get the creator to tell them the key or just disable it the (semi-)traditional way. Magic users get OP in DnD due to having a large spell selection to use against enemies (so if it has a weakness to an element, they have a spell for that) and a crapload of various movement-enhancing/enabling spells to get around physical barriers (teleport, I think they've got an astral projection/divination one, disintegrate (doesn't work on magical objects), etc.)

Then again...
Spoiler! Golems
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

Warrl
Grand Templar

#34 Post by Warrl »

In most editions of D&D, low-level mages are extremely low-power and vulnerable, it's hard to keep them alive and not really worth the bother (low-level clerics are a bit better)... but they get more spells at every level, they frequently gain access to more-powerful spells, the spells they already have become more powerful, and they get to use their spells more often. Meanwhile, non-magic-users at each level get a little bit better at what they were already doing. Sometimes described as "linear fighter, quadratic mage". At high level, a magic-using character can effectively replace every non-magical character in the party... simultaneously. While also doing a magic-user's job.

(Seriously. 3.5E has a Barbarian class. If you want to play a barbarian, and are starting at level 3 or higher, choose the Cleric class.)

4th Edition D&D was designed (among other things) to eliminate this disparity, which is one reason that most D&D players classify it as either the best edition ever or the worst. And when I stopped watching the development of 5E, it was because in my judgment they were determined to totally cater to the people who hated 4E while offending the sensibilities of those who loved it at every opportunity... all in the name of uniting the fan base.