Comic for December 8th, 2018: Seeing Behind the Curtain

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Xian
Traveler

Re: Comic for December 8th, 2018: Seeing Behind the Curtain

#16 Post by Xian »

SpottedKitty wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:39 pm
Xian wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:20 am Okay, Maddie... do you realize you have just been playing tag? Because that's what Karen was doing, playing tag... :P
Not only that, they apparently got through the don't-see-me enchantment by not looking where they were going. :wink:
Truly a great warrior...

Rafe
Council Member

#17 Post by Rafe »

steelabjur wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:19 am
Rafe wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:10 am Something probably significant about that lizard figure, take a look at the glowing orb above its hand, that it is gazing at...

...it's a rose.
It's also a window in the wall behind the statue.
It could be a window. They light filling the room (a very rose colored light, by the way) could be coming from a window. What made me unsure about it was that it doesn't have a visible casing around the glass the was the lower arched window did, making it look more like a suspended orb. In Gothic architecture (and the Estate seems to be a good example of this, given the Gothic arches and vertical lines) they used round windows, sometime huge ones framed in stone. Because of the flowery design of the supporting stonework, they were called "rose windows".

Another thought that keeps occurring to me. Maybe it's the posture of the lizard figure, but that the figure might not be a statue, but some living being turned to stone the way the evil White Witch did in C.S. Lewis' Narnia stories.

Panther
Merchant

#18 Post by Panther »

Hmmm , an anthro lizard statue to keep the access to the room or a way to remember what there is in ? Hidden son of Trace and Nora ? :oops: :nora:
Man is a wolf for man ........ Don't insult the wolves :natani:

BadJoke
Templar GrandMaster

#19 Post by BadJoke »

Don't know why but the last panel reminds me of Fullmetal Alchemist...
Criminals are less dangerous than virtuous people: they kill less.

ZeroJinKui
Banned
Banned

#20 Post by ZeroJinKui »

ha! i knew it... i said maddie had issues with being compared to her mother, and i was right.

...also, how did they manage to break through the mansion's magic by playing tag?

hopefully rose teleports or whatever and punishes them.
"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#21 Post by CrRAR »

SomeBody wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:44 amThis looks much more shrine-like than lab like.
Indeed, very reminiscent of dare I say a mausoleum with the stained glass and the elegant statue. Maybe there isn’t anything horribly malicious about this location. Maybe we may just learn a bit about Rose’s arrangement. Whatever Rose’s circumstance with the estate, Euchre seems okay with it.

Wouldn’t it be funny if Rose’s alert was not actually for these two, but for someone else’s trespass into the estate kitchen cookie jar or something. These two free to make ALL THE DISCOVERIES.

If this is 3rd floor territory I question Rose haste to blurt out a trespass there right in front of Trace. Why not just leave him to his room and discreetly go off to intervene with these two?

Also, anyone notice the glasswork above the door vaguely resembles a bottle? By jove! I think the youngins have just stumbled on ol’ Auntie Rosie’s Moonshin’in room. xD

I knew something had to be giving the old girl all those blushies! Rose is really just a gen-u-ine Willy Wonka. :wink:

Can’t wait till we get to the part with the... oompa loompas. |D
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

Sky Shatter
Citizen

#22 Post by Sky Shatter »

Uh-oh, they broke the perception filter...

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#23 Post by Technic[Bot] »

ZeroJinKui wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:54 pm ha! i knew it... i said maddie had issues with being compared to her mother, and i was right.

...also, how did they manage to break through the mansion's magic by playing tag?

hopefully rose teleports or whatever and punishes them.
Probably a simple illusory spell and some serious lack of forethought: If i were able to disguise the entrance of my secret nefarious lair from everyone eyes i would still put a solid door/wall behind the illusion in case something like this happens. So Trace does not seem like a competent evil lair designer.
Panther wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:46 pm Hmmm , an anthro lizard statue to keep the access to the room or a way to remember what there is in ? Hidden son of Trace and Nora ? :oops: :nora:
Well given the attraction Nora had with Trace i would not be surprised they got really 'close' after Saria died. And given Dragons can produce offspring with whatever they like, i is not out of the realm of possibility. However if I am not mistaken Saria died less than 4~5 years so any children between those two would de still a very young kid. Besides if anyone if gonna end up being Trace/Nora child that is gotta be Mrs Nibbly Right?

In any case the stylistic choice is indeed puzzling, perhaps Traces attempted to use dragon magic to resurrect Saria, maybe he simply has a horrible taste for home decor or he was a scalie. Who knows?
CrRAR wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:27 pm
SomeBody wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:44 amThis looks much more shrine-like than lab like.
Indeed, very reminiscent of dare I say a mausoleum with the stained glass and the elegant statue. Maybe there isn’t anything horribly malicious about this location. Maybe we may just learn a bit about Rose’s arrangement. Whatever Rose’s circumstance with the estate, Euchre seems okay with it.

Wouldn’t it be funny if Rose’s alert was not actually for these two, but for someone else’s trespass into the estate kitchen cookie jar or something. These two free to make ALL THE DISCOVERIES.

If this is 3rd floor territory I question Rose haste to blurt out a trespass there right in front of Trace. Why not just leave him to his room and discreetly go off to intervene with these two?

Also, anyone notice the glasswork above the door vaguely resembles a bottle? By jove! I think the youngins have just stumbled on ol’ Auntie Rosie’s Moonshin’in room. xD

I knew something had to be giving the old girl all those blushies! Rose is really just a gen-u-ine Willy Wonka. :wink:

That is the less creepy idea, it is just a shrine to his deceased wife. And that could still be dangerous, Trace lost control a bit when seeing Saria portrait in the Mansion. So a whole room dedicated to the memory of his wife? I wouldn't want to be near him when he enters it...
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Warrl
Grand Templar

#24 Post by Warrl »

If you look really close, there's a thin line going a short distance straight down from just to the (our) right of the bottom of the rose window.

The dragon statue is just reaching up to pull that cord and turn off the light. :mrgreen:

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#25 Post by Schrodinger »

BadFoMo wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:33 am I don't know why, but I love the way Karen's eyes are (well, at least the one we can see is) bugged out in fear in the first panel. Maybe it's because I'm mentally deranged.

Anyway, is it just me, or does the hallway look too smooth/simple (if that makes any sense)? I am for some reason reminded of that one bit from one of the episodes of ‘Big O’ where Roger Smith was going down some ladder into the underbelly of the city (I think) but as he goes further down he notices that everything looks cleaner/newer when it should be the opposite.

P.S. You know my usual question; same as last time.
Have you ever looked at yourself in the mirror and wondered, "Am I a tomato?"
What was it the spider said to the fly...

PanClovek
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#26 Post by PanClovek »

CrRAR wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:27 pm

Or maybe it's Trace's forgotten chocolate factory ? The past nobody wants him to remember... :grin:

Panther
Merchant

#27 Post by Panther »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:59 am
Panther wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:46 pm Hmmm , an anthro lizard statue to keep the access to the room or a way to remember what there is in ? Hidden son of Trace and Nora ? :oops: :nora:
Well given the attraction Nora had with Trace i would not be surprised they got really 'close' after Saria died. And given Dragons can produce offspring with whatever they like, i is not out of the realm of possibility. However if I am not mistaken Saria died less than 4~5 years so any children between those two would de still a very young kid.
Unless Nora and Trace got this close before Trace meets Saria ? .......... :oops:
Technic[Bot] wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:59 am That is the less creepy idea, it is just a shrine to his deceased wife. And that could still be dangerous, Trace lost control a bit when seeing Saria portrait in the Mansion. So a whole room dedicated to the memory of his wife? I wouldn't want to be near him when he enters it...
If i remember perfectly a very old strip : Saria tomb is somewhere in the woods (maybe near the place where she's been killed) . So , i don't think her shrine is in this room ...... ?
Man is a wolf for man ........ Don't insult the wolves :natani:

Lordadmiral Drake
Master

#28 Post by Lordadmiral Drake »

The supposed village where we saw Sarias grave was an illusion though, IIRC. So it may have been one as well
Furcode: FCXcsp2a A C- D H+ M- P- R++ T++ W Z- Sm# RLE a cln d+ e h* i+ j+ p- sm+

I'm a Deviant now

Candycat
Citizen

#29 Post by Candycat »

I hope the story keeps pushing Trace to confronting the consequences of his past actions. I suspect going to Lyn'Knoll at this point would probably end very badly for :trace: and :flora: and that whole village. His past is going to catch up to him eventually, I'd say.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#30 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Panther wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:01 pm Unless Nora and Trace got this close before Trace meets Saria ? .......... :oops:
If i remember correctly Nora has been associated with the order for some time, what for or why is beyond me, but she only really "meet" Trace when he tried to slay her in order to impress Saria, after many failed attemtps she encouraged him to talk to the lass ditch such stupid plans and they ended getting married. At some point the Dragon and the templar developed a close fiendship and Nora got a crush on our favorite blue dorito. So the timeline makes it unlikely, However given Nora "interest" on the guy a one night thing and a memory erasure spell afterwards is definitely within the realms of possibility.
(And i am still hoping Nibs is Trace/Nora little spawn)
Panther wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:01 pm If i remember perfectly a very old strip : Saria tomb is somewhere in the woods (maybe near the place where she's been killed) . So , i don't think her shrine is in this room ...... ?
Maybe a shrine without her body, as Saria may have wanted to be buried on some specific place or the idea of her beloved tomb so close to him was too much for out favorite genocidal maniac.
Lordadmiral Drake wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:34 pm The supposed village where we saw Saria's grave was an illusion though, IIRC. So it may have been one as well
I think the village was an illusion but their " summer house" and the tomb was real, if memory serves me well.
Candycat wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:02 am I hope the story keeps pushing Trace to confronting the consequences of his past actions. I suspect going to Lyn'Knoll at this point would probably end very badly for :trace: and :flora: and that whole village. His past is going to catch up to him eventually, I'd say.
I hope so, would a shame if Trace got a free "get out of jail card" from everything he has done simply because Ephemural can't make a decent plan, not to mention Trace would en as an spineless dude, and it would seem a cheap ending to make. But i imagine the story will address such concerns as there is not much elsewhere to go. He is a ticking time bomb, the wrong idea, word, impression, movement and he goes beserk and kills everyone in a 0.5 kilometer radius, that is something he has to fix at some point. Also i assume most of the people on Lyn'knoll or a least a decent chunk are forced to live there because, why else? Trace past shenanigans. I imagine that if he ever gets close to the town the locals will simply beat him to a pulp.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide