Comic for November 13, 2018: Family Reunion

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Rafe
Council Member

Comic for November 13, 2018: Family Reunion

#1 Post by Rafe »

Wow, "I'm not going to be there".
Now we know why Evals wasn't acting too worried over Mike's concerns - he thought they were staying together and going his way. But "not going to be there" - that has any ominous sound to it. With Mike as worried as he has been, I wonder whether something else is wrong besides just losing contact with his friends.

Titanium Dragon
Traveler

Re: Comic for November 13, 2018: Family Reunion

#2 Post by Titanium Dragon »

Evals is making a lot of assumptions here, and not really listening to people who are pointing this out.

Well, at least he noticed what Mike said, even if he's still wading through a river in Egypt.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#3 Post by Eclipse »

Aaaaaand here we go. This isn't going to go well.

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#4 Post by BadFoMo »

I kind of like the different ‘personality looks’ (I can't think of a better word/way to say it) which Evals’ siblings and cousins seem to have in just this one shot. Now, this memory is obviously years old; are they still like this, or was he not “the only one dumb enough to wander too far out” and was simply the first captured?

Also, anyone else thinking that Mike is planning on returning to Eric for work?
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

Tendo
Master

#5 Post by Tendo »

Titanium Dragon wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:26 am Evals is making a lot of assumptions here, and not really listening to people who are pointing this out.
My thoughts as well, yeah. He seems to be riding high on his current emotions over being free and is refusing to come back down to reality that things might not be anywhere near as perfect as he expects, especially the part where he believes out of his entire clan only he was the one who got caught.

This is just a setup for complete disappointment later, I hope Evals will be able to cope with it if he still goes through with this and no doubt becomes devastated when it all goes wrong.

BadJoke
Templar GrandMaster

#6 Post by BadJoke »

It finally surfaced... Ouch.

Love young Evals face: "Yup, we breed a lot."

Also I notice that several puppies are hurt (one has lost an eye, one has a big scar...), life must not be that paradisiac in the canine tribes.
And there's a kitten in the bunch. Adopted? Hybrid? Random hidden gag?
Criminals are less dangerous than virtuous people: they kill less.

amenon
Grand Templar

#7 Post by amenon »

The ship-tease levels of panel 5 cannot be accurately measured with current instruments. We're going to need a scientific breakthrough.

Also, we're going to need a whole new Tom to just draw an Evals family side story :grin:

BadFoMo wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:49 am Now, this memory is obviously years old; are they still like this, or was he not “the only one dumb enough to wander too far out” and was simply the first captured?
Well, at least he would have been the only one who's name is 'slave' spelled backwards. The parents were really tempting fate there :P

BadFoMo wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:49 am Also, anyone else thinking that Mike is planning on returning to Eric for work?
I think it's more likely that he's on board the Lyn'knoll train, or might be interested in staying at the Estate (until things go horribly wrong in the way yet to be determined they will.)

BadJoke wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:49 pm Love young Evals face: "Yup, we breed a lot."
Who wants to be the grouch to figure out the population growth implications? (Though there's already an inbuilt oddity in that there are only 'twice as many' cousins.)

BadJoke wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:49 pm Also I notice that several puppies are hurt (one has lost an eye, one has a big scar...), life must not be that paradisiac in the canine tribes.
I just took it as a 'big rowdy family' scenario.

BadJoke wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:49 pm And there's a kitten in the bunch. Adopted? Hybrid? Random hidden gag?
You mean the one with the stripes and profuse sweating? Could always be them playing at something too. Solid visual gag either way :grin:

Also, I wonder if Evals is the one front and center -- or the one just to the right of him. Or, indeed, both, in a kind of presentation-vs-reality way.
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#8 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Well, I retract my statement from last thread about the odd color of reflection-Mike's eyes just being from the blue water. Remains to be seen exactly what Tom means by that, but it's obviously on purpose.

Anyway, I agree with the general sentiment that Evals is obviously being grossly over-optimistic about everything on top of being clueless about Mike's feelings, and he's probably over-idealizing his vague childhood memories of home as well. But I think it's worth noting that it's not like there's something *wrong* about his desire to go home.

We've been focusing a lot on Mike's feelings, how he wouldn't fit in both in keidran society in general as well as dog keidran society in particular, and talking about how clueless Evals is being to not recognize that or realize what Mike is down about. But it's not like Evals is completely in the wrong, that by not wanting to go to lyn'knoll he's throwing away the obviously perfect option for no reason or something like that. As over-optimistic as he's being, as overconfident as his assumptions might be, it's still clear that he was happy living with his family and people. I'm sure it wouldn't go as easily as he's assuming, that it'd be harder finding his family and fitting back in than he thinks, but even us readers, who can recognize the obvious narrative setup here, still have to admit that there's no story-internal reason it *couldn't* work. Evals may be being overconfident, but that doesn't mean it couldn't work out anyway even if the odds aren't as good as he's assuming, and more to the point it's a legitimate thing for Evals to want.

It's what makes this more poignant, I think - that it's not just artificial tension or bad communication, but that these two really do just have different directions they're being pulled. Evals really would probably be happiest living back with his family (if possible), while Mike really would probably be happiest living in lyn'knoll - but, of course, each of them would *also* be happiest not being separated from the other. It's a dilemma with no easy solution, which feels more realistic to me.

(Of course, that's leaving completely aside the question of whether Evals really *was* the only one caught, or if he was just the only one to wander far enough out to not get caught by the same bunch as the rest of his family or something. It's entirely possible that things could work out and he still has a family to go back to, but it's also quite possible that he doesn't.)
amenon wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:36 pm
BadFoMo wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:49 am Now, this memory is obviously years old; are they still like this, or was he not “the only one dumb enough to wander too far out” and was simply the first captured?
Well, at least he would have been the only one who's name is 'slave' spelled backwards. The parents were really tempting fate there :P
Wasn't there some bit of lore somewhere in the past that Evals was named that by his captors as a joke, but that he no longer remembered his original name (presumably due to the psychological trauma)? I don't remember where I read that, but I do seem to recall Tom stating that somewhere.
amenon wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:36 pm
BadJoke wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:49 pm Love young Evals face: "Yup, we breed a lot."
Who wants to be the grouch to figure out the population growth implications? (Though there's already an inbuilt oddity in that there are only 'twice as many' cousins.)
During the stream Tom noted that dogs view family and child-raising (and, apparently, mating :oops:) even more communally than most keidran. "Family" here apparently is meant to include both full siblings and half-siblings on both sides as well as various degrees of cousins, so I think it's less that there's explosive population growth or that there aren't enough cousins, and more just that more of them count as 'siblings' due to different childbearing patterns.

Hayate
The Hidden User

#9 Post by Hayate »

Ouch, those words are gonna be devastating for Evals... I even felt a twinge of pain as I read them... It wasn’t fair for Evals to assume he was making decisions for the both of them though...
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

amenon
Grand Templar

#10 Post by amenon »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:26 pm Well, I retract my statement from last thread about the odd color of reflection-Mike's eyes just being from the blue water. Remains to be seen exactly what Tom means by that, but it's obviously on purpose.
Huh, right you are. Blue in the side-hug, gray in the close-up.

MuonNeutrino wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:26 pm Evals may be being overconfident, but that doesn't mean it couldn't work out anyway even if the odds aren't as good as he's assuming, and more to the point it's a legitimate thing for Evals to want.
Oh, absolutely it's legitimate, and I don't think Evals has been untoward towards Mike here. He just absolutely assumed Mike would come with him. He wants his best possible ending, and that includes Mike, and that's downright sweet in a way. And Mike also should have disabused him of the notion sooner -- but probably didn't want to rain on his parade, because when someone is that happy with a bad assumption, it's a little hard to rob them of it.

Ahhhhhh, these two... :heart: And that 'love you like I do' comment...! We're getting very close to the point where I start rooting for Mike to just kiss him already. Maybe next page :grin:

MuonNeutrino wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:26 pm Wasn't there some bit of lore somewhere in the past that Evals was named that by his captors as a joke, but that he no longer remembered his original name (presumably due to the psychological trauma)? I don't remember where I read that, but I do seem to recall Tom stating that somewhere.
That's the old Word of God, yeah, and it's what I was making fun of, because if he remembers this much about his childhood, I for one would be very reluctant to buy that explanation were it actually offered in canon.

My preferred explanation (other than just ironic naming, which is fine in itself) might be something like his real name not being Humanese enough leading to 'Evals', and then Evals himself more or less adopting the name. That feels a little off-character for him, but still seems reasonable, esp. if it was some kind of obedience spell 'this is your name now' thing.

MuonNeutrino wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:26 pm During the stream Tom noted that dogs view family and child-raising (and, apparently, mating :oops:) even more communally than most keidran. "Family" here apparently is meant to include both full siblings and half-siblings on both sides as well as various degrees of cousins, so I think it's less that there's explosive population growth or that there aren't enough cousins, and more just that more of them count as 'siblings' due to different childbearing patterns.
That might push back the point where all physical matter consists of dog keidran by a generation or two :P (More seriously, it's probably enough to push it into the fuzzy range of plausibly making sense. But it's probably also never going to come up in the comic, in which case this page is likely to remain weird as presented.)
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

Warrl
Grand Templar

#11 Post by Warrl »

Different cultures. We simply don't know how "brother", "sister", and "cousin" are defined in dog society.

Of the words that in human society indicate biological relationships, in Gaoian society the only ones that bear any connection to reproduction are Mother and Sister - being, respectively, females who have given birth, and females who haven't. But even those don't mean anything in terms of biological relationships - if a female has given birth, everyone accords her the title Mother. And the odds are that her biological children don't know she is the one specific Mother who gave birth to them.

Dog society could be equally different - although certainly not in a similar direction, as few Gaoians have more than one or two Cousins.

Xian
Traveler

#12 Post by Xian »

I wonder if the whole "Dog Keidran distrust and despise Fox Keidran" is still canon... I remember reading that Evals's family taught him to not trust or befriend Foxes... I wonder if Evals' family would be as willing to accept Mike as he believes...

Lordadmiral Drake
Master

#13 Post by Lordadmiral Drake »

Is that an actual dog (as in animal) in the forefront? ^^
Furcode: FCXcsp2a A C- D H+ M- P- R++ T++ W Z- Sm# RLE a cln d+ e h* i+ j+ p- sm+

I'm a Deviant now

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#14 Post by tony1695 »

Lordadmiral Drake wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:45 pm Is that an actual dog (as in animal) in the forefront? ^^
Given the strange fashion in which Keidran age (starting as quadrupeds and getting more bipedal), it's likely just a pup.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#15 Post by Hulk10 »

Hmm not surprising that Mike mentioned he wouldn't be there.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.