Comic for November 13, 2018: Family Reunion

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

ZeroJinKui
Banned
Banned

Re: Comic for November 13, 2018: Family Reunion

#16 Post by ZeroJinKui »

mike looks so cute when he's blushing... also, that panel is VERY close to revealing some naughty bits. :D~

imagine those aren't as easy to hide on males as they are with females. :P

i'd imagine mike would stick with the group, i mean, where better to be than surrounded by people who would be willing to protect you and help you get used to freedom?

evals really is delusional here... seems to think the world is peaches and cream and nothing outside of his little bubble has changed at all... well that bubble is bound to burst.
"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax

Warrl
Grand Templar

#17 Post by Warrl »

Hulk10 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:46 am Hmm not surprising that Mike mentioned he wouldn't be there.
And only a little bit surprising that it got through to Evals.

BenedictOwler

#18 Post by BenedictOwler »

Titanium Dragon wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:26 am Evals is making a lot of assumptions here, and not really listening to people who are pointing this out.

Well, at least he noticed what Mike said, even if he's still wading through a river in Egypt.
Young optimism unfortunatly can blind you sometimes, especially if you have some fond memories of your part you believe to be still there when you return into a land you haven't seen for a while.

Even if Evals returns to his birthplace and where he lived with his silblings, I do have the bitter feeling that things have changed a lot, may it be that his relatives might now be different personality wise or gone...I can't say for sure.

Now for Mike, there is sure going to be quite... a tension between him and Evals I assume, one wants to leave and one to stay or move somewhere else the other one dosen't want or rather seeks to go.
Evals more or less was prepared that Mike would go with him, which probably will end up with quet some arguing/discussion material.

Speaking of Evals relatives again I might point out that my favourites are either way the twins or the one having a what I asume "Live could be better" phase . (second left next to young Evals)
\\\*/// Blesse be te who found enlightenment, for now they shall never be fooled again by te three idols in grey \\\*///
/|\+++++First Commandment from the Codex of the Enlighteners (512) /|\ +++++

FishWeave
New Citizen

#19 Post by FishWeave »

I'm glad Mike was finally able to get Evals to listen, as it feels like every time before when Mike tried to bring things up that it was dismissed. Makes sense that Evals would listen now, since it was Mikes response to him. If it was just normal talking, I think it would have been ignored or brushed down. Now he has to listen, hopefully.

steelabjur
Council Member

#20 Post by steelabjur »

amenon wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:04 pm
MuonNeutrino wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:26 pm Wasn't there some bit of lore somewhere in the past that Evals was named that by his captors as a joke, but that he no longer remembered his original name (presumably due to the psychological trauma)? I don't remember where I read that, but I do seem to recall Tom stating that somewhere.
That's the old Word of God, yeah, and it's what I was making fun of, because if he remembers this much about his childhood, I for one would be very reluctant to buy that explanation were it actually offered in canon.

My preferred explanation (other than just ironic naming, which is fine in itself) might be something like his real name not being Humanese enough leading to 'Evals', and then Evals himself more or less adopting the name. That feels a little off-character for him, but still seems reasonable, esp. if it was some kind of obedience spell 'this is your name now' thing.
Could be a situation sort of like Sythe, where the word "Scythe" was close to his real name so he chose it when he wanted to be a diplomat; Evals might have been close to his true name and the slavers thought it cute to call him that until it stuck.

celtcath74

#21 Post by celtcath74 »

Didn't Mike tell Evals in an earlier comic that he was "culturally" human and would not know how to live among the Keidran?

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#22 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I was not expecting Mike to tell Evals directly that "no" he won't go back to his land. He is the least confrontational person in the comic, but this little fox has (at least) some spine! After all leaving your only friend because you know you can't go back to HIS home because lets face it, under the fox fur he is actually human and would simply died there, has to be hard.
However Evals is in the no enviable position of choosing between his family, his fatherland and his people and his best friend. Not a simple decision to make. Wonder if Evals understand he is Mike's only family, as if his situation is not already complicated enough.
However with the current structure of the chapter it is likely we will swap to Raine next page and we won't know how their discussion ends till mid June 2019. And that is sad i am really curious to see how this pans out. Will Mike stand his ground and refuse to go with Evals, hoping he follows him? Will Evals accept it and leave him? After all Tom might be looking to have less characters on "screen" at once. And will our little fox be able to live without his friend?
amenon wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:04 pm Oh, absolutely it's legitimate, and I don't think Evals has been untoward towards Mike here. He just absolutely assumed Mike would come with him. He wants his best possible ending, and that includes Mike, and that's downright sweet in a way. And Mike also should have disabused him of the notion sooner -- but probably didn't want to rain on his parade, because when someone is that happy with a bad assumption, it's a little hard to rob them of it.

Ahhhhhh, these two... :heart: And that 'love you like I do' comment...! We're getting very close to the point where I start rooting for Mike to just kiss him already. Maybe next page :grin:
They are already on the "it is either your family or me!" type of discussions. So i stand by my point i made on another thread that they are at least arguing like a married couple.

amenon wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:04 pm That might push back the point where all physical matter consists of dog keidran by a generation or two :P (More seriously, it's probably enough to push it into the fuzzy range of plausibly making sense. But it's probably also never going to come up in the comic, in which case this page is likely to remain weird as presented.)
The mass of the observable universe is around 3x10⁵⁵ grams the average mass of a person is around 70x10³ grams assuming every generation of dogs is made of 24 individuals. Those fertility rates are off the charts! . And ignoring the effect of deaths and other population dynamics:

Code: Select all

Generations=log_24(universe_mass/person_mass)=36.7
So in around 37 generations all the universe would be entirely dog keidran. (In reality most populations cap off as death dynamics are an important factor)
Alas there is a far simple answer to the population growth: Child mortality. If the dog keidran mortality rates are similar to real dogs, hell even middle age humans. Well there is a chance Evals is the only one who actually made it to adulthood...
Sorry to end on such a sad note...
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#23 Post by aitaituo »

A simpler answer might be short lifespans plus a high male:female ratio. But if those injuries and children wandering off unsupervised and getting enslaved is normal...

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#24 Post by AmigaDragon »

Warrl wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:32 pm Different cultures. We simply don't know how "brother", "sister", and "cousin" are defined in dog society.

Of the words that in human society indicate biological relationships, in Gaoian society the only ones that bear any connection to reproduction are Mother and Sister - being, respectively, females who have given birth, and females who haven't. ...
Who? When making an external reference that doesn't include common real world societies, a relevant link citing your source would be nice. (Yes, I googled and found them before posting this reply.)
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Warrl
Grand Templar

#25 Post by Warrl »

AmigaDragon wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:01 am
Warrl wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:32 pm Different cultures. We simply don't know how "brother", "sister", and "cousin" are defined in dog society.

Of the words that in human society indicate biological relationships, in Gaoian society the only ones that bear any connection to reproduction are Mother and Sister - being, respectively, females who have given birth, and females who haven't. ...
Who? When making an external reference that doesn't include common real world societies, a relevant link citing your source would be nice. (Yes, I googled and found them before posting this reply.)
Oops, sorry, the Gaoians are in this mammoth opus.