Comic for November 3, 2018: Planning for Home

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Elemental Templar
Merchant

Comic for November 3, 2018: Planning for Home

#1 Post by Elemental Templar »

Calling it now; Going to have a pseudeo-heartbreaking moment where Mike and Evals are about to go their separate ways, only for Evals' hopes of returning to the dog territory get crushed and he tags along with the others to Lyn'Knoll (while secretly relieved that he gets to stay with Mike)

Also: First Comic Page Discussion Post by Me!!!!
& Link to Sketch
"There are Two kinds of people in this world:
Those who wait for change, and those who make changes themselves. Which one are you?" -Anonymous

jacobc62
Grand Templar

Re: Comic for November 3, 2018: Planning for Home

#2 Post by jacobc62 »

Waitaminute, is that Fem!Mike we see as Mike's reflection, considering the blue eyes and the slightly longer hair, considering Mike's eyes were a brownish-gray in the previous page? I sense some potential foreshadowing!
"That poor, sexy [censored]...." -Evals Vaughan, October 2016

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#3 Post by MuonNeutrino »

The way this page almost seems like it's *emphasizing* how content Evals is looking in the last panel, I have a feeling he's getting a rude awakening next page. Mike doesn't want to go to keidran lands. With the war and him being a canine keidran it's unlikely he'd be able to stay in human lands as he was expressing there, but in that case Lyn'knoll would definitely be the second option that'd fit him best. With how flippant Evals is being here, I think he might have almost forgotten that Mike had said that. He wouldn't be too broken up about going separate ways from most of the cast - most of them are barely more than acquaintances for him and Mike really, he can't wait to see the last of Eric, and while he of course doesn't wish Kat any ill it doesn't seem like they're particularly close - but I don't think that he'd be nearly so cheerful about being separated from Mike. But Mike obviously *is* contemplating it. That second panel, it seems to me that he was *about* to say "This might be the last time we see each other." He doesn't want to be separated from Evals either, but he doesn't want to go where he's going.

Also, I find it amusing that the water dripping off Flora's ear is splashing imaginary Eric's shoulder. :grin:
Waitaminute, is that Fem!Mike we see as Mike's reflection, considering the blue eyes and the slightly longer hair, considering Mike's eyes were a brownish-gray in the previous page? I sense some potential foreshadowing!
I think it's just the blue of the water. Mike's eyes are normally grey, so they're picking up the color because they don't have any color of their own - the same thing is happening with the white parts of his fur, just not as strongly. And I don't think his hair is any longer, it's shoulder length in both cases.

Deaththekat
Merchant

#4 Post by Deaththekat »

See evals, now that you said something like that, something horrible is gonna happen and you're never gonna go home
The one and only Ottershark!
Resident stoner/metalhead.
It took me 4 years, 8 months, 23 days, 4 hours, and 30 minutes to post 100 times

Eclipse
Templar Master

#5 Post by Eclipse »

Oh Evals, don't you know that these things never go according to plan? I wouldn't write off Lyn'knoll that easily if I were you.

And yeah, I don't think Mike really wants to go to dog territory.

Panther
Merchant

#6 Post by Panther »

Hmmm , i don't think i would have trust in Eric for such thing . The other gal is surely a slave trader too
Man is a wolf for man ........ Don't insult the wolves :natani:

amenon
Grand Templar

#7 Post by amenon »

That's a dumb plan for any number of reasons -- but the presentation of it as anything but is mostly just a whole lot of Unwarranted Evals Optimism (TM) getting layered on top of that double-conditional 'might be able to pull some strings once the port's fixed', so that works as presented. The part that's actually bothering me is... how does the scene of Evals going to Eric asking for help go? Because I don't quite see him doing that, and I don't see Eric going out of his way to offer, either. Don't necessarily see him being willing to help, either, but then, what he apparently said isn't exactly a commitment.

But yeah, the last we had from Eric was "In any case, good luck to the two of you, wherever you're headed from here." How did we get from there to here? Evals is very willing to push any advantage, real or perceived, that he has, but I would not have thought it extended to actually asking Eric for something directly. I guess it must have, but...

Anyway, the fact that this is explicitly Evals' plan -- and I bet he won't shut up about it for long, either -- goes a ways to explaining why Mike is being so mopey. I wonder if he's been ramping it up more and more waiting for Evals to notice :grin: How many Meaningful Sighs does it take to get to the center of a clueless dog? All of them, probably.
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

BadJoke
Templar GrandMaster

#8 Post by BadJoke »

Eclipse wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:27 am Oh Evals, don't you know that these things never go according to plan? I wouldn't write off Lyn'knoll that easily if I were you.
Especialy when said dog territory is like, you know, bordering a war zone with the biggest empire of your world which may soon enact massive bloody revenge if they ever win the war... and where foxes are regarded as slaves anyway...
Panther wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:53 am Hmmm , i don't think i would have trust in Eric for such thing . The other gal is surely a slave trader too
And even if Eric is to be trusted, can the same be said about that gal?
Criminals are less dangerous than virtuous people: they kill less.

Xian
Traveler

#9 Post by Xian »

Eclipse wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:27 am Oh Evals, don't you know that these things never go according to plan? I wouldn't write off Lyn'knoll that easily if I were you.

And yeah, I don't think Mike really wants to go to dog territory.
Didn't Tom say that Dog Keidran hate Fox Keidran? Why would Mike want to go there?

Mike might try to find his way to Fox territory, or try to stay somewhere sorta tolerant/less oppressive within human territory (like Maeve and Adira), but, why would he make the effort and take the risk just to travel to a place where he will be treated like trash?

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#10 Post by Hulk10 »

Yeah I don't trust Eric either.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#11 Post by Technic[Bot] »

For the last three panels we had been wondering about what Mike would do without Evals. But we kinda forgot about him. Sure we knew he wanted to go home but the "how" was something nobody wondered about mainly because we assumed that with the war he would be unable to return home. Now we know he is very determined to get back.
Also Evals is noticing that something is wrong with his best friend and should spend 5 minutes out of his bubble to sort it out unless he plans on a very lonely trip back home. And on the other hand Mike should grow some and directly tell Evals, that no, he does not want to go to Keidran territory, but does not want to lose him either. Granted he might not want to have a response for that. Effectively Evals has to choose between his best friend, and his family homeland and other friends. Mike might not like what Evals end up choosing.
Gee these two seem like a married couple.
amenon wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:38 am That's a dumb plan for any number of reasons -- but the presentation of it as anything but is mostly just a whole lot of Unwarranted Evals Optimism (TM) getting layered on top of that double-conditional 'might be able to pull some strings once the port's fixed', so that works as presented. The part that's actually bothering me is... how does the scene of Evals going to Eric asking for help go? Because I don't quite see him doing that, and I don't see Eric going out of his way to offer, either. Don't necessarily see him being willing to help, either, but then, what he apparently said isn't exactly a commitment.

But yeah, the last we had from Eric was "In any case, good luck to the two of you, wherever you're headed from here." How did we get from there to here? Evals is very willing to push any advantage, real or perceived, that he has, but I would not have thought it extended to actually asking Eric for something directly. I guess it must have, but...

Anyway, the fact that this is explicitly Evals' plan -- and I bet he won't shut up about it for long, either -- goes a ways to explaining why Mike is being so mopey. I wonder if he's been ramping it up more and more waiting for Evals to notice :grin: How many Meaningful Sighs does it take to get to the center of a clueless dog? All of them, probably.
For us almost omniscient reader it might sound like a pretty stupid plan but for him it is probably the best he can get if he pretend to return home. For him Lyn'Knoll is just some weird fairytale people too naive to believe in equality tell to themselves.Also the fact that this Lyn'Knoll is also Trace's plan/idea/destination does not bode well for him, not only Trace is a VIP fugitive, whom disaster seem to follow but is probably the least sane person he ever knew. Even before he meet the chap Trace was the local Hitler going around his ethnic cleansing, the guy Keidran told horror stories about, and now that he met him is just this weird simpleton, dating a tigress, who is too stupid to realize he is being cheated upon. ( At least from Evals perspective). I do not know about you but with that prospect i would run in the opposite direction of these guys war or no war.
And him asking help from Eric? Well war makes for strange bedfellows doesn't it? He really does not like the idea but it is the best he has got.
In any case as you point out most of the plans depends on a lot of big IFS, so most likely he won't be able to return and will have to tag along the rest of the group.
jacobc62 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:21 am Calling it now; Going to have a pseudeo-heartbreaking moment where Mike and Evals are about to go their separate ways, only for Evals' hopes of returning to the dog territory get crushed and he tags along with the others to Lyn'Knoll (while secretly relieved that he gets to stay with Mike)
That depends if these two don't sit down and have a proper chat about what this whole issue i am afraid it will blow in their faces in the not so distant future:
:mike: You do not care about me! the only reason you came along was because you could not return to YOUR home, you were ready to leave me there, alone!
:evals: ...
Or something like that. My point is that unless these sort that one out Mike might end up feeling betrayed by his best friend and only family.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#12 Post by CrRAR »

Elemental Templar wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:05 am Calling it now; Going to have a pseudeo-heartbreaking moment where Mike and Evals are about to go their separate ways, only for Evals' hopes of returning to the dog territory get crushed and he tags along with the others to Lyn'Knoll (while secretly relieved that he gets to stay with Mike)
Deaththekat wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:03 am See evals, now that you said something like that, something horrible is gonna happen and you're never gonna go home
Technic[Bot] wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:37 am
jacobc62 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:21 am Calling it now; Going to have a pseudeo-heartbreaking moment where Mike and Evals are about to go their separate ways, only for Evals' hopes of returning to the dog territory get crushed and he tags along with the others to Lyn'Knoll (while secretly relieved that he gets to stay with Mike)
That depends if these two don't sit down and have a proper chat about what this whole issue i am afraid it will blow in their faces in the not so distant future:
:mike: You do not care about me! the only reason you came along was because you could not return to YOUR home, you were ready to leave me there, alone!
:evals: ...
Or something like that. My point is that unless these sort that one out Mike might end up feeling betrayed by his best friend and only family.
BadJoke wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:50 am
Especialy when said dog territory is like, you know, bordering a war zone with the biggest empire of your world which may soon enact massive bloody revenge if they ever win the war... and where foxes are regarded as slaves anyway...
Panther wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:53 am Hmmm , i don't think i would have trust in Eric for such thing . The other gal is surely a slave trader too
Hulk10 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:00 pm Yeah I don't trust Eric either.
amenon wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:38 am That's a dumb plan for any number of reasons -- [snip]

I began writing... and then I wrote some more. This could be further expanded... some tough revelations about the realities of his homeland or something... but it got long enough for what I set out to do. I kinda like it.

Spoiler!
"Caaast offf!" is shouted in a rough unison all around the deck of a vessel quickly becoming familiar to our beloved canine shipmate. She's a scooner, traditional but well-kept. In an order familiar to his former master's, some more ornate flourishes to some of the wood-craft. "Swanky", he thinks, surveying the craftsmanship. An also familiar aroma strikes his nose emanating from the deckwash, though... more fruity - plum - had he to give his best guess. Mixing with the salt air… it’s almost intoxicating. Odd, hmm. He suddenly has a hankering for order and obedience. In true canine fashion he shakes his head frantically of this notion, ears flopping wildly. That was everything he was escaping! Life, "on his terms", from now on! Continuing, he notes, there are many hands on deck here. Not just your run-of-the-mill tavern-dwelling scaly-wags one would expect in great numbers either, but some rather well-built seafarers. A relief considering the skeleton crew him and Mike consisted of in their previous ventures with Eric.

"Ha! Work will be spread out pretty fairly here! With all this muscle, this'll be a cakewalk!" he quietly muses, and in a strange twist of events again finds himself counting his lucky stars for affiliation with Eric.

Breaking from the thought, he seems to notice a distinct tiredness among the cohort and unshifting concentration on their individual tasks-at-hand - very little shared eye-contact; not with him, each other, or the lady-of-the-ship. Obviously, she must run a tight operation. Business is business to these leadership-types, he knows this fact all-too-well.

"Odd though… With such a strong rotation, usually sleeping is quite good out on the open ocean under the stars.", the mutt reasons and in an attempt at some merry-making he shouts, "You fellas! Ought I steam-up some strong coffee!? Y'all can't possibly be lookin’ so stiff THIS early! …or maybe some fine ale’ll have ya loose! What’llitbe!? Haha!" He suspects in time, their bonds will be brotherly. He awaits eagerly the late nights of card games, drinking, and other general no-do-goodery on their journeys. No more thought is put into these details, the toughest work of the day is upon them, but after, the weather dictates relative ease. Perhaps the crew are just off of some days wrought with tough navigating. The ocean, after-all can be a harsh mistress.

He gazes up at the state of the sails, to align himself with the current maneuvers. Only but a moment into a new journey, just as his ship to newfound freedom glides to motion from the docks, Evals' spots Mike on the shore. He had only just said his farewells near an hour before, though he could feel Mike was not prepared... he never would be. What was conveyed as sullen encouragement and curt well-wishing, across the distance can see is losing the thin facade; becoming emotional and forlorn. He can read it on his face; he knows his friend well. Flora is out with him being her best playfully cheerful self – but it’s not enough- nothing would be consolation enough. The mask was falling away. Evals tears his eyes away, though not his mind. Instead he tries focusing toward his long-awaited and brilliant future. Glancing out into the warm infinity of the horizon and the first hope for his homeland in a long time he inevitably and startlingly – involuntarily – jerks his gaze back toward Mike; his heart shudders. Up until this moment he had been steeling himself for the good of his greater dream, but he could not maintain such a frail defense from an ignorable truth. His feigned callousness was crumbling before him. He wonders of his ship-mates… what of their dreams? Surely their tired faces hide the remnants of great dreams now withered and faded by years of servitude in the unrelenting heat of sun and salt. “Why are they all still here? Why aren’t they living their dreams?”, the poignant question immediately chills his soul. In this moment, he realizes his future that he pictures is still yet the naive fantasy of a lost pup and what he is putting behind him now is not perfect but is real.

His new employer, now barking general orders to usher the ship underway are meeting the dog's keen ears and yet Evals struggles to maintain resolve and his motivation toward any task carrying him farther from the shore stalls within him. It feels wrong. He looks around, at his fellow but foreign deckhands, at his captain, at the downhaul line in his hand... and he grimaces to a scowl... almost a snarl, but not quite. An old familiar feeling. He drops the line and surveys his predicament. The cumulative moments that have passed have put the ship - and him - on a steady course beyond their former berth - toward open ocean. He looks around quickly if for some alternate wisdom, but he knows what he must do. He removes his shirt, drawing the startled attention of the nearest shipmates and eliciting a curiously excited and breathy gasp from the ship-madame. A reaction which steals his attention for a brief, head-tilt inducing moment. Puzzling on this detail no longer he leaps mightily starboard into the surf among the froth and gentle waves rippling off the ship. He begins paddling furiously with the broadest strokes he can to rejoin the shore.

It's here, in this moment, RIGHT now, drifting in the infinite undulating waves, realizing the grand decisions he can make, that he has yet to make, are the truest signatures to freedom he's experienced searching his whole damn life.

He keeps paddling.
Spoiler!
*Epilogue*

The crew with their trance-like attention broken at the events unfolded now direct their focus toward the empty space left behind in the boldness of their short-lived ensign’s spontaneous resignation, their progress working the ship also now has stalled. They look to each other, to their work, to the sky. They envy the flappy birds. The captain takes notice and in an effort to motivate, steps forward, “Oi! You all best keep working, or maybe you’ll be finding scraps for dinner!” She announces, head high and mustering utmost authoritarianism; a whip shifting to visibility at her waist beneath the layers of her overcoat and deeper coverings. “Do my eyes deceive me? Is this a mutiny!?” a quiet moment passes… as she looks about. From over her shoulder, another solitary *splish* is heard and she wheels about, spine-tensing, to spy where once another of the crew stood, now were just a couple more confused sea-dogs staring at a blank spot on the deck, tongues poking out befuddingly between their clasped lips. “Viktor!?”, queries a third peeking over the railing at the newly disturbed water below.

*KER-plunk* *cah-toosh* *krisssh* *Wah-tuump*

The sounds of more deserters. Suddenly the deck has become quite sparse as many rush to vacate. The long tours at sea have finally taken their toll, and Evals’ leap was an unwitting yet remarkably divine catalyst. Pivoting to find the newest defector becomes fruitless. Just as she whips around, another out-of-view *sploosh* occurs after another. A few remained on deck, those, one would suppose, were comfortable with their lot in life. Dreams are all relative, after all. She does not question a moment if this new arrangement shall work, for she personally knows ships to have sailed adequately on as little as two men. More are likely to join when they seek port again. It is the way of the waves. The sea can be quite the rewarding lifestyle, if one has the temperament for it. The ship sails on.

Much furious paddling to freedom occurred that day.

“Enough dogs...”, it’s been said by a few elder-folk near enough that day to bear witness, “...to start their own village.”
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

ZeroJinKui
Banned
Banned

#13 Post by ZeroJinKui »

i wouldn't trust eric even if he was the last non-hostile person in the world.

evals seems to be extremely selfish... he doesn't realize how much his presence means to mike, or how scared and hurt mike is by the idea of losing him and probably everyone else.

i'm willing to bet his plans aren't gonna go all that well... he'll probably be stuck with the group, or he'll end up as a slave again, or possibly get killed.

we've waited so long for the two groups to make contact, and now that they have, splitting everyone up seems like such a sad thing to do.

i really want to hug mike... he's just so sad and adorable, i love him. :mike: :heart:
"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax

Panther
Merchant

#14 Post by Panther »

BadJoke wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:50 am
Hulk10 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:00 pm Yeah I don't trust Eric either.
I may eventually have a very low trust in Eric about it ..... that means really NO trust in the other gal
ZeroJinKui wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:08 am i wouldn't trust eric even if he was the last non-hostile person in the world.

evals seems to be extremely selfish... he doesn't realize how much his presence means to mike, or how scared and hurt mike is by the idea of losing him and probably everyone else.
i really want to hug mike... he's just so sad and adorable, i love him. :mike: :heart:
Evals isn't selfish , but he sees Mike only as a good friend . So , he can let the fox go his way while he comes back at home without problems ............. He's never understood/realized that he's the one "family" Mike has got since he's born slave
Man is a wolf for man ........ Don't insult the wolves :natani:

James Polymer
New Citizen

#15 Post by James Polymer »

ZeroJinKui wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:08 am i really want to hug mike... he's just so sad and adorable, i love him. :mike: :heart:
Hug the precious smol bean. Do it now. :heart: :mike:

For realsies, though, this is going to be a very uncomfortable discussion between them. Unless some magical solution presents itself (sort of a situational Reni?) I don't see any outcome leaving them both entirely happy. And we can't forget the Rule of Drama, which stipulates that the best laid plans of mice and men--or wolves and foxes, as the case may be--rarely go off without a hitch.

Also, why is there not a "smiley" icon for Princess Reni? :?
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"The mark of a truly wise man is that he acknowledges when he doesn't know @%$#." - Me