Comic for October 20, 2018: Artificial Paradise

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Warrl
Grand Templar

Re: Comic for October 20, 2018: Artificial Paradise

#16 Post by Warrl »

Shockwave07 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:50 pm Well at least they are all comfortable in the fur! :evals: :flora: :mike:

Trace probably wouldn't be that comfortable... :trace:

...I'm doing that a lot...
The evidence suggests that Trace is pretty comfortable in one fur...

BadJoke
Templar GrandMaster

#17 Post by BadJoke »

Rafe wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:26 pm Mike's obviously done a lot of serious thinking about his situation, and it probably is something he's been doing for a long time. Having a master controlling his life meant he didn't have to make a lot of the decisions he would have to if he was free. An enslaved person dreams of what they would do if they were free, and one like Mike, who's obviously a realist about things, can see the downside. The one thing that seems to be hitting him the hardest right now is facing the fact that he's alone, or he will be very soon. He can instantly identify with Trace losing Saria. But he's saying nothing about his own feelings.
Freedom is not all about fun and games and doing what you want. It's also being entirely responsible for what you do and your own future too. That's what Evals is missing here: the spa, the big manor... that's far from being the every day life of the majority of the free people in Mekkan. Heck, that manor exists because of Trace's position and fortune as the head templar, which was built on slavery, racism, politic plotting, mass murder... not exactly freedom for the others.

Poor Mike... his situation won't turn easier any time soon.
Criminals are less dangerous than virtuous people: they kill less.

Xian
Traveler

#18 Post by Xian »

I suspect Evals is going to feel disappointed on freedom when he gets it for real. There isn't a mansion waiting for him; he is going to be homeless, penniless and without friends or family that could help him. Humans will still treat him like crap, and other Keidran are [censored] to members of other tribes...

If he manages to reach a Dog Tribe settlement he may find a home and start from the bottom, but it won't be easy...

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#19 Post by CrRAR »

BadJoke wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:55 am
Rafe wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:26 pm Mike's obviously done a lot of serious thinking about his situation, and it probably is something he's been doing for a long time. Having a master controlling his life meant he didn't have to make a lot of the decisions he would have to if he was free. An enslaved person dreams of what they would do if they were free, and one like Mike, who's obviously a realist about things, can see the downside. The one thing that seems to be hitting him the hardest right now is facing the fact that he's alone, or he will be very soon. He can instantly identify with Trace losing Saria. But he's saying nothing about his own feelings.
Freedom is not all about fun and games and doing what you want. It's also being entirely responsible for what you do and your own future too. That's what Evals is missing here: the spa, the big manor... that's far from being the every day life of the majority of the free people in Mekkan. Heck, that manor exists because of Trace's position and fortune as the head templar, which was built on slavery, racism, politic plotting, mass murder... not exactly freedom for the others.

Poor Mike... his situation won't turn easier any time soon.
Xian wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:32 pm I suspect Evals is going to feel disappointed on freedom when he gets it for real. There isn't a mansion waiting for him; he is going to be homeless, penniless and without friends or family that could help him. Humans will still treat him like crap, and other Keidran are [censored] to members of other tribes...

If he manages to reach a Dog Tribe settlement he may find a home and start from the bottom, but it won't be easy...
Very true. They are both naive in their own way. Real life has its way of making short work of expectations.
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

Warrl
Grand Templar

#20 Post by Warrl »

CrRAR wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:33 pm Very true. They are both naive in their own way. Real life has its way of making short work of expectations.
But Mike is at least aware of his naiveté.

Evals believes what is probably a half-remembered, half-fanciful vision of what life is like in the dog territory, which by everything I know about economics is likely to be a relatively impoverished area compared to other keidran lands, and with much less magic than in human lands. (Unless there's a volcano that spews mana crystals, or some other similarly precious resource.)

Evals may also not realize that what he's currently experiencing is a life of borrowed extreme luxury, far beyond the means of even his former owner Eric, a wealthy merchant.

Evals has more options than Mike, but not necessarily better options. And not necessarily a more - or even equally - realistic assessment of those options.

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#21 Post by CrRAR »

Warrl wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:21 pm
CrRAR wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:33 pm Very true. They are both naive in their own way. Real life has its way of making short work of expectations.
Evals believes what is probably a half-remembered, half-fanciful vision of what life is like in the dog territory, which by everything I know about economics is likely to be a relatively impoverished area compared to other keidran lands, and with much less magic than in human lands.
Obviously, dog society is ruled by the goodest boy with the biggest pile of bones. Evals has no bones. Evals will most assuredly have a bad time. xD
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

Tyger42
Apprentice

#22 Post by Tyger42 »

There are tiny details that impress me because they're things other artists might neglect and most people probably wouldn't think matter. An example here would be the pawprints from where she was running down the beach. They're not a trail of perfect prints. They're a bit uneven and smudged as would happen to foot prints when running in sand.

Neptune
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: the bear in my signature

#23 Post by Neptune »

Is it just me, or is Evals' body while he hangs over the waterfall really feminine-looking?
Image Haha, he's so tiny! Where is he going?

leinglo
Traveler

#24 Post by leinglo »

Alright, I'm convinced. Something is going to happen to the estate. Either it's gonna end up destroyed, the group will be forced to flee (probably using some secret escape route Trace built into the place), something will happen to make it no longer available to them. Main characters are never allowed to keep something like this, a place this nice to potentially use as a home and base, especially half-way through the story. It's like, a law. Mark my words, when this arc is over everyone will be forced to rough it again, with the estate likely in ruins behind them.

Tyger42
Apprentice

#25 Post by Tyger42 »

Neptune wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:09 pm Is it just me, or is Evals' body while he hangs over the waterfall really feminine-looking?
Not as feminine as Mike looks all the time.

Shockwave07
Apprentice

#26 Post by Shockwave07 »

Tyger42 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:24 pm
Neptune wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:09 pm Is it just me, or is Evals' body while he hangs over the waterfall really feminine-looking?
Not as feminine as Mike looks all the time.
...I sometimes wonder if Mike might think of being Eval's "girl" to stay around him. Even if just as a joking thought.

Rafe
Council Member

#27 Post by Rafe »

Tyger42 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:28 pm There are tiny details that impress me because they're things other artists might neglect and most people probably wouldn't think matter. An example here would be the pawprints from where she was running down the beach. They're not a trail of perfect prints. They're a bit uneven and smudged as would happen to foot prints when running in sand.
If the details were really good, Tom would have included a trail of paw prints coming back from the wall, maybe with some weaving and staggering included.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#28 Post by Warrl »

Rafe wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:59 am
Tyger42 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:28 pm There are tiny details that impress me because they're things other artists might neglect and most people probably wouldn't think matter. An example here would be the pawprints from where she was running down the beach. They're not a trail of perfect prints. They're a bit uneven and smudged as would happen to foot prints when running in sand.
If the details were really good, Tom would have included a trail of paw prints coming back from the wall, maybe with some weaving and staggering included.
I figure she came back with her feet in the water. Only thing is, I think her hands should be wet, considering where she did a butt-plant after hitting the wall.

Rafe
Council Member

#29 Post by Rafe »

Warrl wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:12 am I figure she came back with her feet in the water. Only thing is, I think her hands should be wet, considering where she did a butt-plant after hitting the wall.

Yeah, that makes sense. And she could have toweled off a bit. Yeah, that explains it. Sounds good to me.

Tyger42
Apprentice

#30 Post by Tyger42 »

Rafe wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:59 am
Eh, it's still more detail than most would have thought to include, especially for a web comic.