Comic for August 9, 2018: Assassin Siblings, Catching Up, Pt 3

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Rafe
Council Member

Comic for August 9, 2018: Assassin Siblings, Catching Up, Pt 3

#1 Post by Rafe »

"...Outnumbered in my own head..."
Never thought of the effect of having two Natanis in Zen's headspace. I guess that would be disconcerting.

Zen mentioning that Natani's life isn't as tied to the link as it was, followed by the panel with his injured leg, shows that he's been thinking some serious thoughts like, "This might kill me. I hope Natani can go on living without me."

Also, the aside about feeling less self-conscious about her body "at least in front of one person" is revealing. At least in terms of actual sexuality, Natani seems to be okay with using her female body.

And the fact that Natani qualifies not wearing women's clothing and acting all dainty "all of the sudden", makes it sound like she's leaving open the possibility that it might happen at some point.

Kitch
Apprentice

Re: Comic for August 9, 2018: Assassin Siblings, Catching Up, Pt 3

#2 Post by Kitch »

Zen should’ve latched onto "at least in front of one person". He knows who that "one person" would be. :keith: :natani:

Bec

#3 Post by Bec »

this is a good page :natani:

Him
The Secret Forum Mod
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#4 Post by Him »

Woo Natani confidence boost. Always glad to see his character improve.

trantor
Apprentice

#5 Post by trantor »

<Do people who care ever really just "get over" tits?> ....to be honest - no :wink: :grin:

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#6 Post by SirJahar »

Welp, there ends 90% of the plot. Show's over, bye everyone.

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#7 Post by CrRAR »

trantor wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:39 pm <Do people who care ever really just "get over" tits?> ....to be honest - no :wink: :grin:
Telling it like it is, haha. She's good at that.

I like how startled Zen is at her butting into the conversation. :shock: !
Rafe wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:52 am And the fact that Natani qualifies not wearing women's clothing and acting all dainty "all of the sudden", makes it sound like she's leaving open the possibility that it might happen at some point.
Mayyybe, I think that no matter what the two separate ideologies will... filter each other. The worldly Natani is always going to want to excercise discretion. The covert youngtani wants to take a more traditional path. They both have equal stake and it's been demonstrated they both can influence the outward personality, suppressing and asserting where they see fit, but it would seem that this could create the opportunity for a power struggle over which Natani is BEST Natani.

This... would not be a good outcome, though I'm sure it'd be a hoot to watch. *popcorn.jpg*

Where Natani goes from here: They are two pieces of the same whole, so if one or the other "dismisses" the other (as Zen put it) it is sure to leave... gaps. Much like how before, Natani had no logic beyond: "I'm a male, shut up!". To Natani that probably isn't favorable, as comfortable "progress" is being made relationship-wise and no one really likes going backwards.
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

steelabjur
Council Member

#8 Post by steelabjur »

CrRAR wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:13 pm
trantor wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:39 pm <Do people who care ever really just "get over" tits?> ....to be honest - no :wink: :grin:
Telling it like it is, haha. She's good at that.

I like how startled Zen is at her butting into the conversation. :shock: !
Rafe wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:52 am And the fact that Natani qualifies not wearing women's clothing and acting all dainty "all of the sudden", makes it sound like she's leaving open the possibility that it might happen at some point.
Mayyybe, I think that no matter what the two separate ideologies will... filter each other. The worldly Natani is always going to want to excercise discretion. The covert youngNatani wants to take a more traditional path. They both have equal stake and it's been demonstrated they both can influence the outward personality, suppressing and asserting where they see fit, but it would seem that this could create the opportunity for a power struggle over which Natani is BEST Natani.

This... would not be a good outcome, though I'm sure it'd be a hoot to watch. *popcorn.jpg*

Where Natani goes from here: They are two pieces of the same whole, so if one or the other "dismisses" the other (as Zen put it) it is sure to leave... gaps. Much like how before, Natani had no logic beyond: "I'm a male, shut up!". To Natani that probably isn't favorable, as comfortable "progress" is being made relationship-wise and no one really likes going backwards.
Well, Young!Tani made it clear that she likes being thought of as a guy, so I wouldn't go so far as saying she "wants to take a more traditional path", just that she didn't mind being a girl too.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#9 Post by Warrl »

CrRAR wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:13 pmMayyybe, I think that no matter what the two separate ideologies will... filter each other.
To a certain extent...
The worldly Natani is always going to want to excercise discretion. The covert youngNatani wants to take a more traditional path.
"Natani, I didn't cut my hair and dress like a boy just to join the Guild. Secretly, I liked it. I mean, I didn't mind being a girl, but... I liked being seen as a boy."

THAT traditional path?
They both have equal stake and it's been demonstrated they both can influence the outward personality, suppressing and asserting where they see fit, but it would seem that this could create the opportunity for a power struggle over which Natani is BEST Natani.
YoungTani sees herself as a tiny fractured bit of Natani's subconscious. She's going to assert that she's "best Natani"?
Agreed. More likely, Natani will try to re-integrate YoungTani. No idea whether and to what extent it will work.

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#10 Post by CrRAR »

steelabjur wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:37 pmWell, Young!Tani made it clear that she likes being thought of as a guy, so I wouldn't go so far as saying she "wants to take a more traditional path", just that she didn't mind being a girl too.
Warrl wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:47 pm
The worldly Natani is always going to want to excercise discretion. The covert youngNatani wants to take a more traditional path.
"Natani, I didn't cut my hair and dress like a boy just to join the Guild. Secretly, I liked it. I mean, I didn't mind being a girl, but... I liked being seen as a boy."

THAT traditional path?
Exactly, "traditional" in a non-shattered psyche sense. Since there is no traditional/"normal" after all. Not in the orthodox cookie cutter gender-role dogma view. That was a little unclear. :P
Warrl wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:47 pm YoungTani sees herself as a tiny fractured bit of Natani's subconscious. She's going to assert that she's "best Natani"?
Haha, what I guess my concept is that Youngtani has sort of gained strength over the years, emboldened by the separation of Zen sort of drawing her out/giving her a real form in the mindscape. According to Zen's comments this page, she's as real to the pair of them as the manifestation of Natani in his their own mind is.

If Zen is an entity, Natani is an entity, and Youngtani is a entity, what powers does that imbue? Can she become even stronger? As of now she can influence Natani. "Tell Keith he's cute", later Natani: "Also you're cute." Followed by, "n-nothing!". I guess the arrangement is that of a supervisor and an underling, the boss sets the rules. But yeah, the endproduct anyway you slice it is a Natani more comfortable with himself. Which is just fine.

In the end it all is a very elegant way to illustrate Natani's development. :grin:
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

Aurora
Citizen

#11 Post by Aurora »

Heh. I just noticed that Zen and Young Natani have the same hair-style. And she's talking about her being a part of their (collective) sub-conscious? So,
is Young Natani actually "wearing" Zen's hair? x)

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#12 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Aurora wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:19 pm Heh. I just noticed that Zen and Young Natani have the same hair-style. And she's talking about her being a part of their (collective) sub-conscious? So,
Natani cut her hair when she decided to disguise herself as a male and follow Zen into the assassin's guild, and she still had short hair at the time of the soul-shattering and formation of the link. As such, I always assumed that young!Nat just has short hair because that's the hairstyle she had at the time that this piece of Natani's soul was splintered off from the rest. I think when she says 'our subconscious' here, the 'our' in question is 'young!Nat and Nat', not 'Nat and Zen'.

Ddraig
Templar Master

#13 Post by Ddraig »

Aurora wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:19 pm Heh. I just noticed that Zen and Young Natani have the same hair-style. And she's talking about her being a part of their (collective) sub-conscious? So,
I don't think so; Looking at the first two panels where you see both Natanis in profile, they have nearly identical hair. I think Nat and Zen's "real"-world hairstyles are just very similar
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#14 Post by aitaituo »

SirJahar wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:21 pm Welp, there ends 90% of the plot. Show's over, bye everyone.
Except the resolution is that Natani has embraced on a permanent basis a literal fracturing of her personality. She's gone from having mixed/confused/ashamed feelings about her to gender to feeling okay by bifurcating her already split and patched mind. And this time she appears to have no intention of mending the wound.

As a human being and therefore as a person who has embraced a flaw and callously declared that it's a feature not a bug no problems here ha ha don't about it, I do not expect this to end well for Natani at all.

Zen seems to be saying that Youngtani is speaking independently of Natani in the link. Is she doing the same to Natani? Does Natani not have control over Youngtani? I had read the part where Youngtani was introduced as a kind of dream sequence/inner monologue that shows up in fiction a lot, not the introduction of a new character. This is rather alarming. Like, black smoke thing alarming, only with less kill 'em all kill 'em all intrusive thoughts.

Sky Shatter
Citizen

#15 Post by Sky Shatter »

It's uncomfortable to see several layers of reinforcement that Zen views Nat's femininity as an undesirable to be purged or hidden even in private, like it's a fact rather than a recourse. Discomforting, but sets up very intriguing character conflict and potential growth, making the story all the more interesting. That's what's kept me hooked on Twokinds for a decade and a half: the unrelenting character development that feels natural and fluid.