Comic for 2018-07-28: Assassin Siblings, Catching Up, Pt 2

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Kyrit
Templar

Re: Comic for 2018-07-28: Assassin Siblings, Catching Up, Pt 2

#16 Post by Kyrit »

amenon wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:48 pm Observation: Zen has not as of yet mentioned anything to Natani about Carver/Clovis threatening them.
http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/1000/
He doesn't need to. While Zen might not have forced his way in to Nat's, Nat got all of Zen's in one big rush. Nat should know all about what happened with Carver.

amenon
Grand Templar

#17 Post by amenon »

Kyrit wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:13 pm http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/1000/
He doesn't need to. While Zen might not have forced his way in to Nat's, Nat got all of Zen's in one big rush. Nat should know all about what happened with Carver.
But does Zen know Nat knows?
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

stlsf4003
Apprentice

#18 Post by stlsf4003 »

amenon wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:00 am
Kyrit wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:13 pm http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/1000/
But does Zen know Nat knows?
If he doesn't, he'll know soon enough.
the lurking furry railroader

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#19 Post by Technic[Bot] »

amenon wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:48 pm Not using people's names is just a part of how Natani keeps his distance from others. It's why it mattered when he called Kat Kathrin instead of Spots.
Have not thought about that, you have a good point. Although i was talking about the "dense" part. Yet Flora is not the smartest Tigress in the ambush and Trace knows basically nothing about the world he lives in, amnesiac after all. So on a second thought his description was accurate.
amenon wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:48 pm I don't think it's ever been mostly about Flora. Trace was pretty clearly the main protagonist early on, and then it spiraled from there.
Oh of course Trace has always been the protagonist of the story. What i tried to say is that the story is mostly about Flora, most of the event transpired had occured for something she has, o not, done. And besides they are always talking about her. Her name is the second or third most common word in all the comic.
amenon wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:48 pm Oh, for sure. I mostly give Zen [censored] when it comes to youngtani because of how critically off-base he was. And the narrative has been waiting some seven of their years to drop the other shoe on it, so there's a certain... height from which it's coming.

It was his desire to protect her that did this, and that's pretty much a perfect tragedy for all involved.

As for current Natani, I don't think any normal intuitions about sibling or familial relationships can apply because of the link. Especially the early times, but even this page reinforces that Zen going through Natani's memories is still the normal state of things (which, of course, we've seen on occasion in the comic.) It is unthinkable to me that he wouldn't understand Natani as completely as anyone has ever understood another person, which makes his giving Natani [censored] about any shred of femininity he shows -- which is the very source of his trauma -- that Zen caused -- just... whoo-ee.
I agree if the link allowed Zen to go through all memories, feelings, desires, worries and thoughts of Natani real time then he has no excuse. If so the only reason to tease his sister with the very thing that he knows causes him so much pain is because he is a rather cruel brother. But i do not think that is the case. The link seems to be far from that level of synchronization if so instead of Zen and Nat we would have a single person inhabiting two bodies or something like that, besides the link seems to be a bit asymmetrical with the latest example being what Kyrit pointed out.
amenon wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:48 pm Yup. It was just unexpected to me that this -- Zen not being able to read him willy-nilly -- is something Natani would not have grasped without being told.
I think is meant to emphasize that the link is not as strong/nedded as before, if Nat can't even notice his brother is missing from inside his own head then there is something very different now.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Phaing
Master

#20 Post by Phaing »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:28 am
Oh of course Trace has always been the protagonist of the story. What i tried to say is that the story is mostly about Flora, most of the event transpired had occured for something she has, o not, done. And besides they are always talking about her. Her name is the second or third most common word in all the comic.
Wow, nice little bit of research there. :wink:

IMHO, that's the way it ought to be. :flora: Flora is the most expressive and engaging char in the story, to me anyways.

I'd love to see a flash-forward to catch a glimpse of what kind of Mom she would be (I'm betting she is fantastic) and I also hope she sets a new record for Kiedran life-span. 30 is a nice number, don't you think? It would be great if she could be the one that gets to see her own Great-Grandkids being born... wouldn't it?

Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:28 amI think is meant to emphasize that the link is not as strong/nedded as before, if Nat can't even notice his brother is missing from inside his own head then there is something very different now.
Well, yes, natani is dealing with her she-ness and is acting independently from zen: for the first time in her life.

Here's hoping that :zen can have an equally impressive development someday, I'm thinking he will need it. Assassins that appear to have switched sides are seldom welcomes back home.... unless they have been reduced to a pot full of ashes.
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#21 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Phaing wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:49 am Wow, nice little bit of research there. :wink:
Thanks, hopefully I can update it someday.
Phaing wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:49 am IMHO, that's the way it ought to be. :flora: Flora is the most expressive and engaging char in the story, to me anyways.

I'd love to see a flash-forward to catch a glimpse of what kind of Mom she would be (I'm betting she is fantastic) and I also hope she sets a new record for Kiedran life-span. 30 is a nice number, don't you think? It would be great if she could be the one that gets to see her own Great-Grandkids being born... wouldn't it?
I have always found Floraś design and demeanor to be... Soothing for some reason, she has her heart in the right place, although from time to time it seems she dropped her brain on the way...
I have no idea if Tom is planning to show the whole pregnancy "on screen". Considering that sometimes the story moves a tad slow we could be here for a while: (Warning light math ahead)
Spoiler!
Lets assume that Tom keeps publishing at the same rate he has, more or less, maintained over these last ~15 years. Lets also assume that the time "in universe" for every page is the same. Both assumptions are not that correct, Tom publishing schedule is a bit variable specially in the last years. And the time "in universe" for each page of the comic is not uniform, the time "in universe" between each page also varies significantly. But is the best we can do for the moment.
So assuming the story has been 3 standard months (30 earth days) and that Flora is in her second month of pregnancy and that for some reason the 9 months is also the usual gestation time for tiger Keidran, Real tigers are around 2-3 months, for comparison:

Code: Select all

RunTimeInDays = 15[years] * 365 [days per year] =5475 [days] //Ignoring leap years
TimeRatio = 5475 [real days] / 90 [universe days] = 60 //Days spent in real world for each day "in universe"
DaysOfPregnancy =30[days] * (9-2) [months] = 210
RealDays = TimeRatio* DaysOfPregnancy = 12600[days]
RealYears = Realdays / 365 = 12600[days]/365 [days per year] = 34 [ years]

Sure there are a lot of simplifications here but at least if gives a nice number. For comparison i Would be 58 in that time...
And Tom would be near retiring age...
So yeah I imagine we will time skip at least a little or, since there is the added complexity of drawing pregnant Flora he might simply show the baby until the main story ends.
Personally i imagine Flora would be quite the Laisse-Faire type of parent, being overprotective would be Trace's job.

Phaing wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:49 am Well, yes, natani is dealing with her she-ness and is acting independently from zen: for the first time in her life.

Here's hoping that :zen can have an equally impressive development someday, I'm thinking he will need it. Assassins that appear to have switched sides are seldom welcomes back home.... unless they have been reduced to a pot full of ashes.
Now that everyone is together i hope most secondayr characters can have more growth and significance in the story. Personally i am very curious at seeing how their brotherly bond develops from now on.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Warrl
Grand Templar

#22 Post by Warrl »

Phaing wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:49 am Well, yes, natani is dealing with her she-ness and is acting independently from zen: for the first time in her life.
Perhaps more importantly, for the first time since their parents died - and even more so, for the first time since the soul-splice - Natani knows he is no longer dependent on Zen.

whiskeyfur
Citizen

#23 Post by whiskeyfur »

Warrl wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:36 pm
Perhaps more importantly, for the first time since their parents died - and even more so, for the first time since the soul-splice - Natani knows he is no longer dependent on Zen.
I can already imagine Zen is going to have mixed feelings about that. From being needed to be her anchor for the longest damned time to.. now? It's going to be a bit of an adjustment for him, but probably something he's been hoping to have happen for a very long time.

The real question then is what's he going to do with himself once Natani has cut all the strings? He did go from prisoner to at least accepted, but that's not the same thing as how accepted Natani's group of friends is of her.

I wonder if the relationship will flip around to Zen needing her for a bit until he gets settled with the new status quo.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#24 Post by Warrl »

The real question then is what's he going to do with himself once Natani has cut all the strings?
I don't think that's going to happen. The relationship will change, definitely, but they still are brothers AND friends, and accustomed to relying on each other. And while the link is not (or perhaps "no longer") what Natani thought it was and allowed it to be, it still exists.

whiskeyfur
Citizen

#25 Post by whiskeyfur »

Warrl wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:07 am
The real question then is what's he going to do with himself once Natani has cut all the strings?
I don't think that's going to happen. The relationship will change, definitely, but they still are brothers AND friends, and accustomed to relying on each other. And while the link is not (or perhaps "no longer") what Natani thought it was and allowed it to be, it still exists.
True enough, maybe I was a little to broad with that statement.

I'm just imagining Zen's going to have to change a bit and stop thinking of Natani as his brother and more as a sister, and fully able to stand on her own now. Something she would have proven when the link was blocked.

I can actually see Clovis admitting the link was not really necessary, it was just him having a bit of fun at their expense or experimenting with an idea... he does seem cold hearted enough to pull a stunt like that.

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#26 Post by MuonNeutrino »

whiskeyfur wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:34 pmI'm just imagining Zen's going to have to change a bit and stop thinking of Natani as his brother and more as a sister, and fully able to stand on her own now. Something she would have proven when the link was blocked.
The second part, standing on his own, yes, but I don't think the first bit so much. Natani has shown no indications that he's going to go back to identifying as a female again. He may be more comfortable with that side of himself now, but he still says he prefers to be seen as a guy and doesn't want to be addressed as a female, says that his experience still hasn't reversed what happened to him and outright says he has a guy's mind, still binds his chest, and is still annoyed at people seeing him as a female. He's less broken up about the whole thing now and is more accepting of the situation, but still seems to identify as a male.