How do Keidran speak (accent)?

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Hobbit

How do Keidran speak (accent)?

#1 Post by Hobbit »

I got into twokinds a little bit ago, and I have found it to be very enjoyable. Recently, however, after reading over it again, a question formed in my mind. What does the Keidran accent sound like when speaking "human"?

I started wondering this after seeing the June 4, 2017 comic. In it, Keith and Natani are sharing a room in the legacy estate, and Natani attempts to speak the human language to turn the lights out. This, so far, is the only instance (I think), where we are able to tell what the Keidran may sound like in terms of their accent.

But I find it hard to tell what other sound in the language are like in their accents. We do only get three words; "Ruom! Laights aut!" (Room! Lights out!).

I don't know if anybody besides Tom himself knows what accent irl it is based off of, but I though that this would be a great place to start.

Thanks, Hobbit.
This post that I posted on this post about something a poster posted to this posting place is probably useless information..............

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

Re: How do Keidran speak (accent)?

#2 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Well Tom has been now to throw bits and tips out of his world building either on the Chat or his stream. If i remember correctly he once mentioned that Keidran language sounded "growly" or something like that. So if i were to guess i would say they would sound like your dog suddenly learned English.
In another note the page you mention is a bit special. Natani does not speak other languages but Keidran so that is more a non-speaker trying to speak the only 4 words he knows rather than how a fluent non-native speaker would sound.
Cheers!
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Hobbit

#3 Post by Hobbit »

I realise that Natani is not a native speaker. It's just that, the attempt of the Keidran character to speak the Human language sparked an intriguing thought in my mind about how they would sound in general. For instance, the two feline Keidran who insult Flora in Edinmire. They proclaim that Flora is, unlike them, a "domesticated Keidran", and out her due to her human-sounding accent.

I have started to become curious about how my perception of things in the comics may be different to how it is meant to be. This is mostly a pronunciation thing; I like to play out things in my head as if I were the characters, and the minor details sell it for me. This was started after I discovered that I was wrongly pronouncing Keidran "Kee-dren" rather than how it is meant to be pronounced: "Ky-dren" (Kee-dran still sounds more natural and better to me, but hey, what can I do?).

Thank you for your response. I'll have to see if I can catch some of Tom's livestreams sometimes. Does he have a schedule? And where would I be able to find them?

Thanks again, Hobbit
This post that I posted on this post about something a poster posted to this posting place is probably useless information..............

Ddraig
Templar Master

#4 Post by Ddraig »

Beyond what was already mentioned we don't know really anything about the Keidrans' language(s?). It is kind of implied that there's only one single keidran language (to go with the basitin and human languages) which I cock my head at, and Nat only speaks that. We do know that Rose has a 'keidran accent' that might be more specifically 'backwoods wolf keidran' and sounds Southern US "Ah'm Rose"
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

Hobbit

#5 Post by Hobbit »

I've just thought that this question could also be asked of the Basitins and potentially the humans. Although, I would imagine Tom would create the human characters to (in his mind) have American accents, I usually default to a British accent.

I have given the humans an American accent (I'm not sure which accents are from which states, I imagine it is California, but I'm not 100%), the Basitins an Irish accent (simply because I didn't want to take the time to try and read it in any accent that I am not familiar with, so I chose my own). But for the most part I just use American accents for Keidran as well. I would love to give Keidran a more unique identity in my mind by distinguishing most of then with their own accent.

Anyways, I've gone on far too long with this. I'll see if I can catch Tom's next live stream, and if he is answering questions, I'll see if I can pose it to him.

Thanks, Hobbit.

Neptune
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: the bear in my signature

#6 Post by Neptune »

Armenian or Abkhaz accent represent!
Image Haha, he's so tiny! Where is he going?