Inmate_XIII

Re: Comic for Thursday, 5th of July 2018 :Being honest

#16 Post by Inmate_XIII »

I love Rose more with every comic.

vevans0009
New Citizen

#17 Post by vevans0009 »

Trace wasn't THAT close to her face. No touching of the bod. Or I lost the concept of personal space from my meds as a kid. X>

TheMouse
Templar GrandMaster

#18 Post by TheMouse »

vevans0009 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:30 pm Trace wasn't THAT close to her face. No touching of the bod. Or I lost the concept of personal space from my meds as a kid. X>
What one considers "personal" space varies according to an individual's upbringing and personal preference. American culture tends to indicate a personal space of arm's reach. If I can touch your body with an outstretched arm, you're in my personal space. Some other cultures don't consider it personal space until it's pretty much body-to-body contact.

As well, what constitutes a violation of personal space varies. I, personally, am quite comfortable with physical contact as a form of greeting, generally involving hugs and such. I'm small, people like to pick me up and squeeze, and I'm okay with that. So to me a hug isn't a violation of space. A friend of mine is very anti-contact (he hates that he is, but that's another story) and has to psych himself up for handshakes. A surprise hug would be very uncomfortable for him, and constitute a violation of space.
_____
Submission is not weakness.
It takes a far stronger will to submit with grace and dignity than to pretend to be strong.
Unknown wrote:Live your life in such a way that the Westboro Baptist Church will picket your funeral.

steelabjur
Council Member

#19 Post by steelabjur »

Plus he seems to have gotten close very quickly, which can bug some people, especially when they have a reputation like Evil!Trace. I know it would bug me if I only knew him from his past self.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#20 Post by Technic[Bot] »

First of all. I have to agree Happy Rose is best Rose.
Eclipse wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:03 am If acting like a stern old lady is the only fun she can get her life must be a living hell. Not that I'm entirely surprised by that considering what she's been through and where she's ended up.
She does get to scare the living hell out of almost everyone she meets. I am not suggesting her life has been all sugar and roses but that counts for something doesn't it?
CrRAR wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:20 am Awww, what a nice development. Still young at heart. Is there nothing unadorable about Keidrans!? :heart:

(The claws, wait, yeah, maybe the claws.)
Don't forget about the fangs! and probably their breath, come to think about it they probably smell quite bad, specially when wet.
MuonNeutrino wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:40 pm Yes, Rose, it's finally safe to hope. Things really are going to be different now. It won't magically fix everything that's wrong with the world, but that particular sword of damocles is no longer hanging over your head. You don't have to hide or be afraid anymore. :heart: Gods, it is so cute to see her feeling safe enough to actually smile.
Would it not be terrible that for some reason, :cough: third floor :cough: Dark Trace came out? Just when some things were finally getting better everything goes to hell.
MuonNeutrino wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:40 pm On another note, I think it's looking more and more like the drawing style of her eyes did represent her mask after all. She had the faded out eyes all the way from her initial re-appearance until they went away after her outburst in the last comic, then they reappeared in the second and fourth panel of this comic as she's trying to put back on the mask, only to go away once more in the last panel when she's speaking candidly again. That's a pretty neat art choice, tbh - interesting way to represent her emotional state.

And speaking of art, I find it amusing that here we don't have just the Poofy Tail or the Katana Tail - rather, here Rose is displaying the elusive Poofy Katana Tail. Only the best for Rose! :grin:
I do not have a perfect eye-sight so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But i can't see any difference on her eyes.
MuonNeutrino wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:40 pm
Honestly, that's probably pretty inevitable, and yeah it's something I've been worried about a bit myself. There's just *so many* characters in one place right now. Given the comic's high detail/low cadence format, it's just impractical for all of them to get the spotlight very often, because the chapter would end up being 500 pages long. It does make me wonder how Tom intends to handle this problem going forward.
I suppose Tom already has plans for this. After all he could have simply forgotten about Team B on their town and killed a sizable portion of Team A on the Basitin island explosion i he had desired to*. For us that read the comic one page each week it seems like ages, because it is a long time, but when you read the finished product, if it is ever finished it feels more naturally paced.

*No idea why he spared Eric thought
TheMouse wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:00 pm
vevans0009 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:30 pm Trace wasn't THAT close to her face. No touching of the bod. Or I lost the concept of personal space from my meds as a kid. X>
What one considers "personal" space varies according to an individual's upbringing and personal preference. American culture tends to indicate a personal space of arm's reach. If I can touch your body with an outstretched arm, you're in my personal space. Some other cultures don't consider it personal space until it's pretty much body-to-body contact.

As well, what constitutes a violation of personal space varies. I, personally, am quite comfortable with physical contact as a form of greeting, generally involving hugs and such. I'm small, people like to pick me up and squeeze, and I'm okay with that. So to me a hug isn't a violation of space. A friend of mine is very anti-contact (he hates that he is, but that's another story) and has to psych himself up for handshakes. A surprise hug would be very uncomfortable for him, and constitute a violation of space.
I am personally touch averse, in any case it is lost on the comic but i am pretty sure Trace darted/lunged toward her, wich can be intimidating regardless your disposition on contact.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Warrl
Grand Templar

#21 Post by Warrl »

Well, let's see... strictly my guesses...

The story is going to stay in Edinmire for a while. During that period:
  • Trace and Flora obviously are at least near center-stage the whole time.
  • Ambassador-General Keith Keiser stays near Grand Templar His Grace the Duke of Edinmire, Trace Legacy.
  • Aides Lynn and Madelyn stay near the Ambassador-General.
  • Natani, Keith's romantic partner, also stays close to Keith.
  • Zen, Natani's brother, stays with Natani.
  • Rose comes with the house.
  • Reni comes with the region.
  • Raine, seeking magic training, stays near (pick one or more) Trace, Natani, Reni.
  • Sythe sticks around to court Raine (and also because he has nowhere else to go).
  • Mrs. Nibbly stays with Sythe.
Meanwhile...
  • Eric goes back to his shipping business.
  • Mike signs on with him as crew.
  • Kat probably goes with Eric. Or with Mike.
  • Evals also stays as crew with the understanding that he's going to depart next time they are near dog-keidran lands. (Evals thinks Mike has agreed to join him; he's mistaken.)
  • Red goes back to the Templar.
  • Karen goes to work for Adira, so while technically nearby is rarely seen.
  • Maren either goes with Red, or stays with Karen.
now, am I leaving anyone out?

Oh yes... Daniels, Therie, Sealeen, and Landren are bit parts in this story. They have their own stories, some of which look pretty interesting, but those are not the story currently being told.

(In my own writing I like to give little glimpses of those other stories - they make the world I'm writing seem more real. But "a little glimpse" can be quite small indeed - such as an overheard snippet of conversation about one of them...)

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#22 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:30 am
MuonNeutrino wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:40 pm On another note, I think it's looking more and more like the drawing style of her eyes did represent her mask after all. She had the faded out eyes all the way from her initial re-appearance until they went away after her outburst in the last comic, then they reappeared in the second and fourth panel of this comic as she's trying to put back on the mask, only to go away once more in the last panel when she's speaking candidly again. That's a pretty neat art choice, tbh - interesting way to represent her emotional state.
I do not have a perfect eye-sight so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But i can't see any difference on her eyes.
It is somewhat subtle, yes, but there's a difference. First, up until now she's been drawn with the pupils of her eyes being a deeper shade of the same faded green as the iris, however in the last panel of both this strip and the previous one the pupil is proper black instead. (Compare Rose's eyes in the second panel of today's strip with her eyes in the last panel.) Second, normally Tom draws eyes on other characters with a dark almost-black shading to the top portions of the iris. (You can see this on Trace in panel 3 of today's strip.) Note that this is distinct from the simple shadow that is also often covering the top parts of the eyes - that also extends to the whites of the eyes and isn't black. (You can see how the regular shadow is separate from the dark iris shading in that same panel with Trace.) Up until now Rose's eyes have been drawn lacking this dark shading on the iris. However, in both the last panel of the previous comic and the last panel of this one, that shading has shown up - it's not as dark as on other characters, being more of just a darkening of the green rather than the almost-black it is for others, but it's there. (This is easiest to see in the last panel of the previous comic, where the darker shading doesn't line up with the regular shadow. It's very subtle in the last panel of this one since the regular shadow is lying almost on top of it - it was more easily visible while Tom was still drawing it, before he added the regular shadow.)

Eclipse
Templar Master

#23 Post by Eclipse »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:40 pm Honestly, that's probably pretty inevitable, and yeah it's something I've been worried about a bit myself. There's just *so many* characters in one place right now. Given the comic's high detail/low cadence format, it's just impractical for all of them to get the spotlight very often, because the chapter would end up being 500 pages long. It does make me wonder how Tom intends to handle this problem going forward.
I have a feeling Team A and Team B are going to split up again after Edenmire, and maybe some characters would get written out (not necessarily killed, but their character arcs may end soon).
Warrl wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:15 am Red goes back to the Templar.
I doubt it. Red is probably going to stay with Raine because he has a thing for her.
Warrl wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:15 am Oh yes... Daniels, Therie, Sealeen, and Landren are bit parts in this story. They have their own stories, some of which look pretty interesting, but those are not the story currently being told.
I'm not so sure about Sealeen and Landen. They're kind of creeping their way into the main story and both want to follow Lynn and Maddie.

Daniels and Therie, on the other hand, are definitely bit characters that don't have much to do with the rest of the cast and their story arc is tangential to the main story. However, they do seem to be fan favorites, so maybe we'll see more of them. The best thing for them, I think, would be a side comic. The Sketches of the Day focusing on them do show there's potential in continuing their story, but they're not really involved in the main plot of the story.

detrius
Citizen

#24 Post by detrius »

Well, I hope Rose lowers the "stern old lady" act a bit when she interacts with Raine. They both deserve some family time.

steelabjur
Council Member

#25 Post by steelabjur »

Eclipse wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:59 am
MuonNeutrino wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:40 pm
Warrl wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:15 am Red goes back to the Templar.
I doubt it. Red is probably going to stay with Raine because he has a thing for her.
Not to mention the whole "on the run from the Templar as wolf spies" thing, and the fact that Master Seer probably saw Group B when they ran into that Templar army.

ZeroJinKui
Banned
Banned

#26 Post by ZeroJinKui »

Eclipse wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:44 amThey didn't follow them to the estate, we probably won't see them again in this chapter.

I'm more concerned with some of the characters from Team A that have gotten shafted, they really haven't featured much of Eric, Kat, Mike, Evals, Maddie, and Lynn. Luckily we have started to see more of Kat and Maddie in this chapter, but the rest we really haven't seen much of lately.
that's what i mean, though... where are they?

my memory is pretty bad, sometimes... nothing bad happened to them, i hope.
"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#27 Post by MuonNeutrino »

ZeroJinKui wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:44 amthat's what i mean, though... where are they?

my memory is pretty bad, sometimes... nothing bad happened to them, i hope.
No, nothing bad. As Eclipse said, they just didn't come to the estate. Last we saw them was back in the middle of Edinmire, when everyone was regrouping after Trace and Reni chased off Clovis and his goons. Here's the last strip they appeared in, and the implication is that they're going back to see if the tavern is still standing. Presumably they're there, if it was, or otherwise in Edinmire somewhere if it wasn't, but at least for now we have no reason to assume anything happened to them. In fact, given that Maeve appears in the chapter title page, they're probably going to show up again at some point.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#28 Post by Eclipse »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:18 pm No, nothing bad. As Eclipse said, they just didn't come to the estate. Last we saw them was back in the middle of Edinmire, when everyone was regrouping after Trace and Reni chased off Clovis and his goons. Here's the last strip they appeared in, and the implication is that they're going back to see if the tavern is still standing. Presumably they're there, if it was, or otherwise in Edinmire somewhere if it wasn't, but at least for now we have no reason to assume anything happened to them. In fact, given that Maeve appears in the chapter title page, they're probably going to show up again at some point.
Oh right, I forgot Maeve was in the title page. Well, maybe they'll stop by the estate for... reasons. But yeah, right now they're probably back at the tavern doing tavern stuff.

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#29 Post by BadFoMo »

Eclipse wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:44 amI'm more concerned with some of the characters from Team A that have gotten shafted, they really haven't featured much of Eric, Kat, Mike, Evals, Maddie, and Lynn. Luckily we have started to see more of Kat and Maddie in this chapter, but the rest we really haven't seen much of lately.
I think they (at least maybe Mike and Evals) might be preoccupied with a potential side story Tom and Phil are collaborating upon. …At least, that's what I think I remember reading.

Warrl wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:15 amRaine, seeking magic training, stays near (pick one or more) Trace, Natani, Reni.
Although I have nothing against her trying to learn from one of them, I got a bad thought from that. I don't expect/hope not to see this, but what if Raine is the one to explore the third floor and she becomes the main villain?

P.S. Exceedingly late, I know, but did this page is updated?
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

ZeroJinKui
Banned
Banned

#30 Post by ZeroJinKui »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:18 pm No, nothing bad. As Eclipse said, they just didn't come to the estate. Last we saw them was back in the middle of Edinmire, when everyone was regrouping after Trace and Reni chased off Clovis and his goons. Here's the last strip they appeared in, and the implication is that they're going back to see if the tavern is still standing. Presumably they're there, if it was, or otherwise in Edinmire somewhere if it wasn't, but at least for now we have no reason to assume anything happened to them. In fact, given that Maeve appears in the chapter title page, they're probably going to show up again at some point.
oh, right... but wait... unless i am remembering wrong... wasn't there a portal or something in the tavern that opened up?

or am i way off the mark?

i really need to take a refresher course, i'm fully caught up on the comic, but it's so hard to keep track of everything in my mess of a mind. :?
"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax