Comic for Saturday, June 30th: Cracked Facade

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Warrl
Grand Templar

Re: Comic for Saturday, June 30th: Cracked Facade

#31 Post by Warrl »

Raine is, genetically, presumably pure human - Euchre after all has perfect transformation. But she also has a magic talent she inherited from him, a magical inclination toward keidran, and almost-no training in how to control and use magic.

Karen, the other hybrid-looking character we know of, is a pure human who was magically transformed by someone else (Trace) - thus the ears. This was done when they were much younger; Trace was courting Maren, and Karen was harassing them like kid sisters sometimes do; it was intended to make her go away, but she liked (and still likes) the ears.

Mary Silverlock, we don't even know if she's still alive. She's presumably not regularly with Euchre - Raine hasn't mentioned him that I recall, certainly not like she would if he were a regularly-appearing father figure. However this doesn't necessarily mean that Mary and Euchre never see each other.

Shockwave07
Apprentice

#32 Post by Shockwave07 »

Aurora wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:09 pm "It's brilliant"? Does she think this is all some trick or stunt on his part? Again, wait till she hears that he and Flora are expecting. XD
Shockwave07 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:17 am I am noting the fog in her eyes lifting...

Also wonder if Trace caught on that she said about a second Keridan/Templar relationship. Does anyone else know?
That would have to be the relationship between Mary Silverlock and Euchre. I don't remember exactly, but he's her cousin, right? If you don't remember they are the parents of Raine.

It would be interesting to see both couples meet -- and even see what Raine thinks of Trace's and Flora's baby, since this baby will be another hybrid.
Not the point I was trying to make... Though this happens with me often.

I was wondering if someone in the story knew besides her?

Eclipse
Templar Master

#33 Post by Eclipse »

As far as Trace knowing about Euchre/Mary, Trace probably had no idea about any of that since after he lost his memory, he's only known Euchre to be Flora's Keidran friend and Mary's only showed up when Neutral possessed Flora. At best Rose's mention of Trace being the second Grand Templar in a row would clue him into the fact that Mary was romantically involved with a Keidran, but he would have no idea who.

It's going to be a veeerrry interesting conversation when Rose and/or Raine tell Trace and Flora about Euchre's true nature.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#34 Post by Warrl »

At best Rose's mention of Trace being the second Grand Templar in a row would clue him into the fact that Mary was romantically involved with a Keidran
Only if Trace is aware of exactly who was his immediate predecessor as Grand Templar. That isn't necessarily a detail that would have been mentioned to him since the amnesia.

Neptune
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: the bear in my signature

#35 Post by Neptune »

Wee woo the Templar are losing their [censored] [censored] now can't wait for that final tower arc in 20 years
Image Haha, he's so tiny! Where is he going?

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#36 Post by Hulk10 »

Well she seems to believe it and seems to be amused by it.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

chickenhawk66
Citizen

#37 Post by chickenhawk66 »

The second Grand Templar in a row? Now that is interesting. But did the previous one get their partner pregnant? Inquiring minds want to know. :wink:

Eclipse
Templar Master

#38 Post by Eclipse »

chickenhawk66 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:19 pm The second Grand Templar in a row? Now that is interesting. But did the previous one get their partner pregnant? Inquiring minds want to know. :wink:
We already knew this. The previous Grand Templar was Mary Silverlock, Raine's mother, and she fell in love with Euchre not knowing he was a Keidran disguised as a human.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#39 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Warrl wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:14 am
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:54 amIt also implies that cross-species relations are actually very rare and not just merely unreported.
Depends on what one means by "relations".

There were implications that Kat is from a slave breeding line intended to be sex-toys. Which would imply a fairly substantial market for such exists. There are also implications that it's socially unacceptable for a human to be known to have/hire keidran sex-toys.

The fact that most people, both human and keidran, seem to know that cross-breeds are not possible, would also imply that (ahem) the attempts are not exactly rare.

People having romantic relationships would likely be even more firmly frowned upon, and uncommon. Not only because most humans see kiedran as an underclass species, but also because of the no-offspring thing.
Not necessarily a large demand for them I imagine the market for that kind of slave is more a niche thing. With an specifically breed specimen selling for way more money that a similar run-of-the-mill slave. Also if I recall correctly Kidran held slaves themselves right? So maybe the sex toys are mostly sold back to wealthy Keidrans.
In any case as you point out, and as the comic implies, either having a keidran sex-slave, being involved with one romantically or otherwise is heavily frowned upon and rare.
Warrl wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:14 am
On a different note it is nice to see that Rose is Rose and not some magical ghost /construct embedded to the mansion as one of Traces experiments.
At least for now she seems ok.
How do you determine that she isn't a ghost? I see nothing definitive here. (In fact, the closest thing to definitive I've seen was when she served dragon Reni a bowl of coffee - that's the only object we've clearly seen both Rose and someone else use their paws on.)
What i was trying to say is that Rose little laughter outburst is something consistent with an actual person capable of emotions and not some Automaton with a heavily scripted behavior. At least for now, maybe later we will find out it is simply really high level necromancy at work.
Elemental Templar wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:18 pm
Aurora wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:09 pm "It's brilliant"? Does she think this is all some trick or stunt on his part? Again, wait till she hears that he and Flora are expecting. XD
Shockwave07 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:17 am I am noting the fog in her eyes lifting...

Also wonder if Trace caught on that she said about a second Keridan/Templar relationship. Does anyone else know?
That would have to be the relationship between Mary Silverlock and Euchre. I don't remember exactly, but he's her cousin, right? If you don't remember they are the parents of Raine.

It would be interesting to see both couples meet -- and even see what Raine thinks of Trace's and Flora's baby, since this baby will be another hybrid.
Current Trace shouldn't know about Mary and Euchre's relationship; however, back when he staged the Coup d'etat he found out as indicated by this flashback on page 51 and Raine's backstory on page 729

Also we haven't seen Mary in the main story of the comic since chapter 6 part 2, who even knows where she is or if she's even with Euchre?

As for Raine's possible reaction to finding out I imagine she'll be incredibly shocked at first like sythe was then she'll maybe start to feel some form of self-reassurance that she's not something the gods condemn.
Current Trace knows as little about the world as any of us readers. Perhaps even less...
At this point it is not clear who know what and how they found out. For what i gather some time after Raine was born and Trace went insane he, or maybe Sirius, found out that Euchre had a child with Mary. He used this information to blackmail Euchre into helping his coup d'etat and teaching him a version of his transformation spell, his ex-wife and daughter life in exchange for cooperation. Considering his stance on Keidran is highly unlikely he figured out Euchre was a wolf himself, otherwise he would not have used him for his rebellion. At this point Saria was dead and Rose had been serving in the Legacy state for sometime now and such probably heard of Euchre situation. So either he told her or by putting two and wo together he figured out that his cousin had a fling with the former Grand Templar. tough this is mere speculation.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Foxx Trotter
Council Member

#40 Post by Foxx Trotter »

I don't think Rose has had such amusement in quite some time. :mrgrin: I'm waiting to see how this plays out...
Videre videnda.

Him
The Secret Forum Mod
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#41 Post by Him »

Honestly, I was going to lurk while waiting for more of the best ship... but this was cute. I really liked seeing her be happy for once.

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#42 Post by Hulk10 »

Him wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:08 pm Honestly, I was going to lurk while waiting for more of the best ship... but this was cute. I really liked seeing her be happy for once.
Yeah it really was nice.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#43 Post by BadFoMo »

I think I too like the last panel, but I don't really have anything else to add.

Warrl wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:04 pm
At best Rose's mention of Trace being the second Grand Templar in a row would clue him into the fact that Mary was romantically involved with a Keidran
Only if Trace is aware of exactly who was his immediate predecessor as Grand Templar. That isn't necessarily a detail that would have been mentioned to him since the amnesia.
I'm too lazy to look for the page, but wasn't revealed to Trace who the previous Grand Templar was when his late wife's ghost (or whatever that was) tried filling in some of the blanks for him shortly before the fight with Neutral?

Roselyn wrote:What Ah wouldn't give to see the heads of those stuffed-shirts and Templars explode from the news!
…You mean like that one scene from Big Trouble in Little China?
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

jacobc62
Grand Templar

#44 Post by jacobc62 »

BadFoMo wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:10 ambut wasn't revealed to Trace who the previous Grand Templar was when his late wife's ghost (or whatever that was) tried filling in some of the blanks for him shortly before the fight with Neutral?
If it wasn't then, then it had to have been at the very least implied when Nora gave us an exposition dump was telling Trace his own backstory (albeit from her perspective) back during the first half of the Basitin Isle arc
"That poor, sexy [censored]...." -Evals Vaughan, October 2016

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#45 Post by AmigaDragon »

Is Rose's "second Grand Templar in a row" referring to Mary actually marrying Euchre (however secret it was kept) or just being in a relationship with him?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen