Comic for June 12, 2018: What Rose Knows

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

Re: Comic for June 12, 2018: What Rose Knows

#16 Post by Hulk10 »

Aurora wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:48 pm I'm not sure this is a good idea. I think Trace is poking a hornets' nest, by asking for this. This will not end well ...
Maybe not but how can Trace fix his mistakes if he knows nothing about his past?
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

Panther
Merchant

#17 Post by Panther »

Aurora wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:48 pm I'm not sure this is a good idea. I think Trace is poking a hornets' nest, by asking for this. This will not end well ...
I think it too ......... What if Rose says an innocent thing (for her) making Trace get back some memories from ? :shock:
Man is a wolf for man ........ Don't insult the wolves :natani:

AgileWolf
Traveler

#18 Post by AgileWolf »

You know, bringing up the whole paranoid thing again... I wonder if "old trace" actually knew about the gods. Perhaps knew what was coming and wanting to avoid it. That or he just didn't trust people and this is irrelevant ^^;
"The entire Basitin race is actually just a group of extremist LARPers."
-Tom

James Polymer
New Citizen

#19 Post by James Polymer »

Remember the words of the wise man, Trace: "Ignorance is bliss." I have a feeling this chapter is going to be extremely uncomfortable for Mr. Legacy and his tiger bride, to say nothing of his other guests. :shock:

And Euchre, why did you have to insist he not be allowed on the third floor!? You've invoked the rules of dramatic storytelling; now he's guaranteed to see it at some point in this arc! (;_;)
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"The mark of a truly wise man is that he acknowledges when he doesn't know @%$#." - Me

Him
The Secret Forum Mod
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#20 Post by Him »

steelabjur wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:46 am "Quite paranoid by the end" but she stuck around...
That implies that she even has a choice. She is likely here against her wishes.

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#21 Post by MuonNeutrino »

On a different Rose-related topic, I am starting to second-guess myself on whether the drawing style of her eyes actually might indicate something significant after all. Previously I've simply interpreted the faded eye coloration as being meant as another marker of age. She does have the spectacles after all, so obviously her eyes aren't what they were in her youth, and the idea does fit with her current 'tough old biddy' persona. As comics have gone by, though, I'm starting to get more suspicious.

For starters, she doesn't seem to have had any particular problem seeing things. We haven't seen her squinting nearsightedly through her spectacles or anything like that, and just in general she doesn't seem to have any issues looking around and taking in information. (In fact, the comic has make somewhat of a point of showing that she's acutely aware of her surroundings and the interactions around her.) At this point the lack of use of her glasses suggests to me they can't be more than reading glasses at most, and overall she doesn't really seem to have her vision crippled by age. Also Euchre, who is even older than her, has eyes drawn in Tom's normal style, which isn't conclusive but is at least suggestive.

It's also notable that the drawing style of her eyes differs from other characters in more than one way. The faded-out pupil and overall dull iris color is the most obvious aspect, but another notable difference is the lack of the darker shadowed rim at the top of the iris that Tom usually puts in these days. Tom does leave both the pupil and shadowed rim out on other characters for more distant shots, but on Rose they're absent even in closeups.

Now, the speculation has been that the differences in Rose's eyes indicate that she's under some sort of control spell. The most obvious example that comes to mind for this is, of course, when Eric put the collar back on Evals after the fire on the boat. In that case Tom did use changes in the drawing style of Evals' eyes to indicate the effects of the collar, but unfortunately this was long enough ago that Tom's drawing style for eyes was different enough that it's not easy to compare directly. (Evals has the 'featureless iris' style both before and after, for example, along with half the other characters.) Still, it does support the idea that the presence of magic/spells could be indicated visually by drawing the eyes differently.

The reason I bring that up, is that in this latest comic there's an interesting detail in Rose's eyes in the last panel - specifically, the slight rim of lighter color around the inner edge of the iris. Note that the lighting is coming from Rose's right here, so that rim of color is on the wrong side of her eye to be a highlight from light striking the inner side of the iris. It's also not just because it's a closeup, either, because it's not present in the even closer shot in the last panel of comic 1020. However, if you look a few panels earlier in that comic, there's something quite interesting - *Euchre* has that same rim of color on his eyes in panel 4, when his magically projected image first appears. And just as interestingly, if you go back a few more strips, Natani has that same rim of color in the second panel of comic 1000 when the link is restored.

In other words, that rim of light seems like it could be one of Tom's current visual indicators for the presence of magic. And here it's appearing on Rose, and doing so right after Trace says something to her that could be interpreted as a command. And I think it may be notable that her immediate response indicates a willingness to fulfill his request and satisfy his curiosity, despite Euchre's urgings at the end of the last chapter. Of course, that's hardly conclusive, as it could be as simple as her choosing to flip Euchre off and do whatever she wants, but still. Is she under a control spell after all, even though she's not wearing a collar? If so, I now have another reason to dislike evil!Trace. :evil: Also, man, Saria would be pissed!

JohnTheWysard
Apprentice

#22 Post by JohnTheWysard »

One thing that worries me: whose side is Rose on?

Sure, she's a slave, and theoretically bound to honor Trace's wishes. But does she honor the "new" Trace's wishes, kiedran-friendly, or (perhaps as a result of something like Stockholm Syndrome) is she a human chauvinist, keeping her own feelings under wraps because of her social status?

Warrl
Grand Templar

#23 Post by Warrl »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:40 pmFor starters, she doesn't seem to have had any particular problem seeing things. We haven't seen her squinting nearsightedly through her spectacles or anything like that, and just in general she doesn't seem to have any issues looking around and taking in information. (In fact, the comic has make somewhat of a point of showing that she's acutely aware of her surroundings and the interactions around her.) At this point the lack of use of her glasses suggests to me they can't be more than reading glasses at most, and overall she doesn't really seem to have her vision crippled by age. Also Euchre, who is even older than her, has eyes drawn in Tom's normal style, which isn't conclusive but is at least suggestive.
With proper glasses to correct the vision, there's no need for squinting.

Pure reading glasses, though, are not proper glasses for vision at a range greater than about three feet.

I don't recall seeing Rose doing anything where sharp close-range vision would be required. If I'm forgetting something, she may have bifocals - that wouldn't be the only likely-anachronism in the comic by any means.

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#24 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Warrl wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:22 pmWith proper glasses to correct the vision, there's no need for squinting.

Pure reading glasses, though, are not proper glasses for vision at a range greater than about three feet.

I don't recall seeing Rose doing anything where sharp close-range vision would be required. If I'm forgetting something, she may have bifocals - that wouldn't be the only likely-anachronism in the comic by any means.
Yeah, sorry, not quite the way I should have said that. I didn't mean literally squinting, more that she just doesn't seem to be *looking* through the glasses most of the time, at least not as if she actually needed them to correct her vision for most purposes. Most of the time she seems to be looking over the tops of the glasses, instead, such as in the current comic. With the way they're perched kinda down on her nose, she'd have to either tilt her head upwards or else be looking at something significantly below her to actually be looking through them, and she doesn't seem to be doing that. That's one of the reasons they remind me of reading glasses, actually - the way they sit, they're pretty much only naturally in front of her field of vision for things in just about the position you'd hold a book or similar. Hence my conclusion was that her vision doesn't seem like it's actually significantly impaired, if she doesn't need those glasses for anything more than reading (i.e. just mild farsightedness).