Comic for Saturday, June 2nd, 2018: Sneaking Around

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

Re: Comic for Saturday, June 2nd, 2018: Sneaking Around

#31 Post by Hulk10 »

I predict there is going to be lots of trouble between Maddie and Karen.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#32 Post by Technic[Bot] »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:23 pm -Well written but a bit long snip-
I really hope this is just a Trope. Lynn has similar skills and no one has suggested he is undead or something. However given we are dealing with Trace megalomaniac psychopath and keidran murderer extraordinaire ™*, before mind wiping so if anyone could have bound poor Rose soul to the state in eternal servitude via necromancy, to remind him of his wife or whatever, that would be him.
Also Tom has a thing whit understaffing places: Eric's ship was handled by two slaves and Eric alone. A ship that large cannot be handled with soo little people. Probably a similar thing going on with the manor, the place would need a small army to operate; but ain't nobody got time to draw that many people!
Rafe wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:16 am
Tyger42 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:16 pm Oh, you know Rose LOVES doing that to Trace. XD She looks all stoic and stuff, but she's got her own mischievous streak.
Well, she used to, anyway. She did pull a nasty trick on Euchre, threatening to stab him when she saw him in human form here: http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/722/

With Maddie and Karen sneaking around, I'm starting to wonder if one of them - or worse, the two of them as a team - might somehow stumble upon "that room on the third floor". If anyone can keep that from happening, it would be Rose.

Along the same lines, what if Maddie and/or Karen try to keep tabs on Rose to outmaneuver her some way. I'm betting if they try that, their going to discover something very unsettling about Rose. Maybe she can be in two places at the same time.
I was wondering the same, the two youngest members of the group "accidentally" breaking into the "third floor" and then all hell break loose. Good plot device if anything!

*By law i am required to enunciate that i did not invented this phrase
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Rafe
Council Member

#33 Post by Rafe »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:48 am ... I was wondering the same, the two youngest members of the group "accidentally" breaking into the "third floor" and then all hell break loose...
"All Hell" might not be too strong a term for it. Euchre was VERY serious about bad things happening with Brahn, Trace and whatever is in that room. Just talking to Rose was apparently something very hard to bring himself to do. When the Templar get involved, people tend to end up dead. Natani and Keith were badly injured in the tower explosion, and Laura died. Brahn's lackey Carver would have killed most of Group B. Only Zen horribly injuring himself, and Mrs. Nibbly almost dying saved them. Even Maeve barely survived the attack on Edinmire by Trace's intervention. There might be some humor happening here and there, but violence and death are always close in this world.

Back to Rose (almost killed by the Templar herself, of course) - It's possible she has, or was given magical abilities by Saria, or even Trace. She might have found and picked up a lot in her life at the Estate. She must have had an early aptitude for it. Using illusion spells is what almost had her dangling from the gallows, after all. She just might have more powers than anyone knows.

Esn
New Citizen

#34 Post by Esn »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:48 amAlso Tom has a thing whit understaffing places: Eric's ship was handled by two slaves and Eric alone. A ship that large cannot be handled with soo little people.
I could have sworn that there were more than 2 slaves on the ship, but you might be right actually... although, Eric does call them his "two best men" here:
http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/375/
Would he really do that if they were also his ONLY men? I wish I could just assume that everyone else is just out of sight... but... they're also the only two who accompanied him to Trace's estate...
MuonNeutrino wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:23 pm-long snip-
As for Rose, I'm pretty sure that there's a spell which causes her to
A) instantly be aware of anyone at the entrances to the mansion
B) instantly hear anything said after her name, "Rose", is spoken aloud within the mansion grounds (presumably, this was so Trace could command her to do things), and allows her to teleport there. This is true of all the examples you mentioned. Look at 985 especially - "Roselyn" is said several times, but that isn't enough to trigger the spell, but as soon as Flora says "Rose", Rose hears what Flora says after that("Rose doesn't end up putting it together") and is confused by it.
Here's what Rose heard the other times:
http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/963/
Eric: "Rose was pretty cute, once upon a time"
http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/1029/
Trace: "...Rose either, even if I wanted to ask her"

I think that in all of those cases, Rose didn't hear any of the words that were said prior to her own name. Her reactions are totally in line with this theory. (EDIT: Well... except in 963, when she apparently also heard Eric's question prior to that. But still, maybe she was already returning with the tea, so she would've heard it anyway)

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

#35 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

On the whole "Rose is a ghost" theory, remember too how shocked/surprised/embarrassed she was when Trace asked whether she would eat with him?
This reaction is consistent with the idea that she is a ghost or something who can't eat
Technic[Bot] wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:48 amAlso Tom has a thing whit understaffing places: Eric's ship was handled by two slaves and Eric alone. A ship that large cannot be handled with soo little people.
True true. Rose being alone also fits the whole "lone butler running the mansion" trope, and works better thematically... it emphasizes her loneliness and the fact that since Saria has died it's just been her and Trace. She's been cut off from the outside world and anyone else. Having other servants running around serving Trace and the estate would be like an unnecessary diversion to the feel of the situation, and it would ruin Rose's whole mystique. Even if it's more realistic, it doesn't work as well dramatically.

BadJoke
Templar GrandMaster

#36 Post by BadJoke »

And while everyone (even Trace) is freaking out with Rose's apparition I'm here, fascinated by Keith's reaction to all of it: Meh.
Criminals are less dangerous than virtuous people: they kill less.

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#37 Post by BadFoMo »

Schrodinger wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:37 amI think Maddie snatched the plate right out from under Karen's nose on her way out.
I was wondering if anyone else would notice that.

AndreRhineDavis wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:31 amOn the whole "Rose is a ghost" theory, remember too how shocked/surprised/embarrassed she was when Trace asked whether she would eat with him?
This reaction is consistent with the idea that she is a ghost or something who can't eat
True true. Rose being alone also fits the whole "lone butler running the mansion" trope, and works better thematically... it emphasizes her loneliness and the fact that since Saria has died it's just been her and Trace. She's been cut off from the outside world and anyone else. Having other servants running around serving Trace and the estate would be like an unnecessary diversion to the feel of the situation, and it would ruin Rose's whole mystique. Even if it's more realistic, it doesn't work as well dramatically.
I think that was more of; "A Keidran servant eating at the same table as their Human master!?", "I couldn't eat with you even if I wanted to, I still have more work to do."

Also, I like to think that both Eric's ship and Trace's mansion have automated functions which renders more workers/servants unnecessary. The automated functions just need someone to monitor them and make sure they are working properly.

Another thing I would like to suggest that Roselyn might be doing in order to be where she is needed exactly when she is needed might be manipulating time like Hermione was in the third Harry Potter book.

P.S. I know it's a little late to be asking, but did this get updated before I got here?
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

Tyger42
Apprentice

#38 Post by Tyger42 »

BadJoke wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:17 pm And while everyone (even Trace) is freaking out with Rose's apparition I'm here, fascinated by Keith's reaction to all of it: Meh.
Keith spends much of his time in a state of "meh".

Warrl
Grand Templar

#39 Post by Warrl »

Hm... Keith hears Rose say she knows where everyone is.

Does this mean she knows that he and Nat spent the night in one of their two rooms?

Or, more importantly, does HE think she knows, and how much does it concern him?

James Polymer
New Citizen

#40 Post by James Polymer »

Tyger42 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:12 am
BadJoke wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:17 pm And while everyone (even Trace) is freaking out with Rose's apparition I'm here, fascinated by Keith's reaction to all of it: Meh.
To be fair, by this point Keith has basically "seen it all"; he's lived in Basitin, Keidran, and Human societies to the point of being fluent in all three languages, worked in concert with dragons (twice!), rubbed elbows with the Grand Templar and Tiger Keidran royalty, and has gone from banished outcast to ambassador of the East Basitin Empire. Compared to that, a mansion with a ghost butler is Tuesday.
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"The mark of a truly wise man is that he acknowledges when he doesn't know @%$#." - Me

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#41 Post by Schrodinger »

James Polymer wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:31 am
Tyger42 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:12 am
To be fair, by this point Keith has basically "seen it all"; he's lived in Basitin, Keidran, and Human societies to the point of being fluent in all three languages, worked in concert with dragons (twice!), rubbed elbows with the Grand Templar and Tiger Keidran royalty, and has gone from banished outcast to ambassador of the East Basitin Empire. Compared to that, a mansion with a ghost butler is Tuesday.
Keith even has his old face back. No white sclera.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Tyger42
Apprentice

#42 Post by Tyger42 »

Speaking of Keith's old eyes... Going through the archives, 2 things hit me:

1) I've mentioned before, but it's fun watching the progression and refinement of the art over the years. There's no clear lines of sudden jumps in quality. It's been gradual, but the difference between today's comics and the first ones is night and day.

2) How little time in-story has actually passed. Flora's been pregnant for, what, nearly 10 years now real time?

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.

#43 Post by Hulk10 »

Tyger42 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:11 am Speaking of Keith's old eyes... Going through the archives, 2 things hit me:

1) I've mentioned before, but it's fun watching the progression and refinement of the art over the years. There's no clear lines of sudden jumps in quality. It's been gradual, but the difference between today's comics and the first ones is night and day.

2) How little time in-story has actually passed. Flora's been pregnant for, what, nearly 10 years now real time?
I don't think she's been pregnant that long in real time.

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#44 Post by aitaituo »

Hulk10 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:50 am
Tyger42 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:11 am Speaking of Keith's old eyes... Going through the archives, 2 things hit me:

Why not? Lao Zi was 80 years old when he was born.

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster

#45 Post by Hulk10 »

aitaituo wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:15 am
Hulk10 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:50 am

Why not? Lao Zi was 80 years old when he was born.
That's not true.