Comic for May 22, 2018: Aural Explanation

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Phaing
Master

Re: Comic for May 22, 2018: Aural Explanation

#31 Post by Phaing »

I never thought I would say this.... but we need more Karen.

:karen:
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#32 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Thallium wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:07 pm I hereby shatter the champagne bottle on the prow and launch the latest ship in the TwoKinds fleet: the SS Kardelyn! Long may she sail!
You know what i think i will wait for the next boat, but go ahead have fun!
Dadrobit wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:49 pm
AndreRhineDavis wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:42 am
Eclipse wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:33 am Maddie knows what sex is? Could've fooled me.
Don't forget that in Basitin society, sex is something that is highly ordered and controlled and happens only at certain specific times of the year among married couples.
So it's plausible that while Madelyn knows about sex, she wouldn't immediately associate Trace and Flora going to bed together in the daytime with them *having sex*, since she's probably not used to the idea of people having sex out of wedlock and whenever they feel like it. It probably only later clicked for her: "oh right! they were having sex! *that's* why they were going to bed in the daytime. right. now I get it. I forgot how humans and Keidran just do it whenever".
Yeah, between her using sexual innuendo to manipulate Flora, and a particularly unfortunate choice of hiding spots on the boat, she knows about sex. :mrgrin:
I assume that in such a regulated society there has to be some degree of sex education and Maddie seems old enough to know that babies are not brought by the stork.

Dadrobit wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:49 pm
NuclearBird wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:12 pm Madelyn, your inner lesbian is showing...
I swear, this fandom sometimes.
Only this one?
Excuse me but for whatever reason shipping/slashing is one the main interest of any fandom. Don't ask me why I am just saying i i have seen.
Schrodinger wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:35 pm -Video snip-
On a serious note, no I don't think that this has to do with lesbianism. But the idea of lesbianism, for such a regulated society as the basitins, must seem unthinkable.
It is simply the setup for the over arching joke of this chapter. In any case I can't imagine them making a fuss about same-sex relationships. Maddie barely reacted when she "found out" her teenage crush "batted for the other team", on the other hand our favorite fake templar almost faints when Maddie told her Keth and Trace were a couple. I can see them frowning upon the idea, Alaric was considered weird at best, but not much more.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#33 Post by tony1695 »

I think that Basitins (at least the ones we've been interacting with) consider sex nothing more than the thing that produces the next set of recruits. At least that's their official stance on the matter.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#34 Post by Schrodinger »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:49 am
On a serious note, no I don't think that this has to do with lesbianism. But the idea of lesbianism, for such a regulated society as the basitins, must seem unthinkable.
It is simply the setup for the over arching joke of this chapter. In any case I can't imagine them making a fuss about same-sex relationships. Maddie barely reacted when she "found out" her teenage crush "batted for the other team", on the other hand our favorite fake templar took almost faints when Maddie told her Keth and Trace were a couple. I can see them frowning upon the idea, Alaric was considered weird at best, but not much more.
Ah, true. This time is different since Maddie's the subject of the matter.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#35 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Schrodinger wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:17 am
Technic[Bot] wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:49 am
It is simply the setup for the over arching joke of this chapter. In any case I can't imagine them making a fuss about same-sex relationships. Maddie barely reacted when she "found out" her teenage crush "batted for the other team", on the other hand our favorite fake templar took almost faints when Maddie told her Keth and Trace were a couple. I can see them frowning upon the idea, Alaric was considered weird at best, but not much more.
Ah, true. This time is different since Maddie's the subject of the matter.
Well of course, you might not care about other preferences, but the idea of you being gay is a completely different can of worms.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

chickenhawk66
Citizen

#36 Post by chickenhawk66 »

Can't begin to speculate as to Maddie's sexuality, and with so much confusion about her age, that seems prudent. As to her embarrassment, that seems natural given what we know of Basitans, and the fact it happened at all certainly indicates that Maddie has some idea of how life works. That said though, it is very endearing to see her blush like that. She is a sweety. I just hope that we get a few of the blanks filled in soon in regards to her :Maddie: :karen: ?

chickenhawk66
Citizen

#37 Post by chickenhawk66 »

SpottedKitty wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:13 pm I'm not sure which is funnier in the middle panel — Keith going "I'm outta here before the inevitable Basitin-shattering kaboom", or Maddie actually flustered to the point of pulling on her own ears.

And of course, Karen pinching Keith's insufficiently guarded bacon... :twisted: :roll: :wink:
Not too surprising. As Maddie said, stroking the ears is comforting, and the poor girl is in instant stress out mode.

Tyger42
Apprentice

#38 Post by Tyger42 »

NuclearBird wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:12 pm Madelyn, your inner lesbian is showing...
If she is, she is. If she's not, she's not. Why call it out like this?

Tyger42
Apprentice

#39 Post by Tyger42 »

SpottedKitty wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:13 pmAnd of course, Karen pinching Keith's insufficiently guarded bacon... :twisted: :roll: :wink:
Pretty sure Keith has declared the bacon an acceptable sacrifice at this point to cover his nope.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#40 Post by Dadrobit »

Eclipse wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:58 pm I know, but if she knows about sex she should still be able to figure that out. Even with the Basitins being as prudish as they are, where else are they going to do the deed? Between that and it being unusual to go to bed after breakfast she should've been able to put two and two together.
She very likely did very soon after, it just wasn't shown. Same thing's happened to me with my brother-in-law and his boyfriend taking a "nap" in the mid-afternoon. I'm in my mid-twenties and stuff like that still doesn't always register immediately.
Eclipse wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:58 pm
Dadrobit wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:49 pm Yeah, between her using sexual innuendo to manipulate Flora, and a particularly unfortunate choice of hiding spots on the boat, she knows about sex. :mrgrin:
She didn't necessarily need to have known about sex to manipulate Flora like that, just seeing how the girls react to Eric's perving is enough to pick up on that they don't approve of that kind of behavior. And she wasn't looking at what was going on above her. At best that could've been when she finally learned.

I find it much more likely that she learned about sex after traveling with Trace and Flora (and inadvertently seeing what they get up to behind closed doors) rather than knowing about it beforehand and being completely oblivious to that one incident. Perhaps she's considered too young by Basitin culture to learn about sex and they don't learn about it until they're adults.
If all she did was tell Flora that Eric was "being creepy" and that was it, I'd be inclined to possibly agree that maybe just maybe she's ignorant. However, she did not. Her method of manipulation straight up used the international sign language for breast fondling/groping. There is no way she doesn't know ~EXACTLY~ what she's doing there. Especially with the "Hahaha, gotcha!" smile she's got going on in the next page on the final panel.

Furthermore, I reaaaaaaly doubt she's as young as she claims she is. Even if she were only 13 going on 14, she's almost certainly considered at least very nearly an adult and would be informed about sexuality through the decency laws she is subject to be following very soon, (again, if she's not considered an adult and following them already which I suspect is the case.)

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#41 Post by Hulk10 »

Who knows if she is as young as she claims. Aside from Tom.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#42 Post by Warrl »

Hulk10 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 1:36 am Who knows if she is as young as she claims. Aside from Tom.
Only Tom and maybe Lynn and Keith know.

But I'm among those who suspect she isn't that young.

Tyger42
Apprentice

#43 Post by Tyger42 »

Warrl wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 7:10 am
Hulk10 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 1:36 am Who knows if she is as young as she claims. Aside from Tom.

Suspect? At this point, I'd be shocked if she were as young as she acts. The act does help her in getting in good with groups she's supposed to infiltrate, I'm sure. ;)

On a side note, it's amazing to go back to the early strips and see how far the art style has come. I can't think of any point where it suddenly jumped forward in quality all at once. It's cool to see the progression...

On another side note, going back also reminds me of how absolutely adorable Keith and Natani's relationship is. :heart:

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#44 Post by Hulk10 »

The only way to be sure of that is to check her nude body.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#45 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Hulk10 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 1:37 am

The only way to be sure of that is to check her nude body.
Spoiler!
Direct link as the forum decided to not work again

Edit! fixed it!
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide