Comic for Sunday, May 6th, 2018: Bedside Discussion

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Rafe
Council Member

Re: Comic for Saturday, May 6, 2018: Bedside Discussion

#16 Post by Rafe »

Vintage wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 8:51 pm This page is ridiculously adorable and heartwarming :heart:
With respect to Zen and Kat, both of whom have had no serious friendships (outside of 'family' - Natani and Eric respectively), they managed somehow to know each other and connect. Both of them seem to have been on the lonely, isolated side for multiple reasons. That could turn out positive.

On the other hand, Zen just admitted that deep inside, he thinks that he's been a failure. In his life, and Natani's, he "keeps screwing up". And now he's convinced himself that Natani has been doing better without him. And on top of that, he's now - and maybe permanently - disabled and disfigured. That last bit, once it sinks in, can make a person feel pretty useless and unwanted. It sure looks like he's trying to be brave, but given the things he's admitting to Kat, he's pretty messed up right now.

Neptune
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: the bear in my signature

#17 Post by Neptune »

Schrodinger wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 5:20 pm As an older brother myself. I know these feels.
I'm a young brother myself, I feel scared
Image Haha, he's so tiny! Where is he going?

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#18 Post by SpottedKitty »

CrRAR wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:16 pm That just made me think, Kat rendered a favor... Zen is thankful... we're literally ONE panel away from:

Zen: "If you even need anyone dead, kid, I'm your man. First one's on me." :wink:
Heh — I've always liked the phrasing "If you ever need anyone put out of your misery"... :zen: :heart: :kathrin: :twisted:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

Niara
Apprentice

#19 Post by Niara »

Maybe it's just my personal impression of it, but the way that Zen words his language here, while he's in the in between of catching up with the ways that Natani has changed, it feels like he's unconsciously (or possibly consciously) avoiding pronoun use for Natani for the time being. This seems interesting for more reasons than just being what it is; it may be that he genuinely isn't certain of what Natani wants in that regard right now, and more importantly, if it is a conscious thing, is showing that he doens't want to push or pressure it in either direction until he does know what Natani wants.

Tyger42
Apprentice

#20 Post by Tyger42 »

Holy crap. Zen shows compassion, care for his sibling, and progress on understanding and [censored] gotta [censored] all over him. Good lord, people, who pissed in your cheerios?

amenon
Grand Templar

Re: Comic for Sunday, May 6, 2018: Bedside Discussion

#21 Post by amenon »

amenon wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 7:43 pm So I guess I'll conclude that Zen's actually catching up right now, and the 'wanted to thank you' gives the wrong impression (but maybe he's saying that because he knows that for Kat, it's already old news?)
I refined this thought a bit: Maybe Zen went 'okay, Kat, what do we know about Kat?'

Would make sense since he's talking to her and all! Would also explain why he's giving Kat's part so much credit, unless it's just to be nice to Kat. In which case, dude, one must repeat: condescension is not a good look.

CrRAR wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:16 pm That just made me think, Kat rendered a favor... Zen is thankful... we're literally ONE panel away from:

Zen: "If you even need anyone dead, kid, I'm your man. First one's on me." :wink:
Kat: Have you ever actually killed anyone?

Zen: Uhhhhhh

Kat: I'm just saying, all the people who have died so far were people you weren't ordered to kill. So maybe you're more like a good luck charm?

Niara wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:43 am Maybe it's just my personal impression of it, but the way that Zen words his language here, while he's in the in between of catching up with the ways that Natani has changed, it feels like he's unconsciously (or possibly consciously) avoiding pronoun use for Natani for the time being. This seems interesting for more reasons than just being what it is; it may be that he genuinely isn't certain of what Natani wants in that regard right now, and more importantly, if it is a conscious thing, is showing that he doens't want to push or pressure it in either direction until he does know what Natani wants.
Ohh, that's an interesting point. Looking at the way it's written again, I don't think it's necessarily to omit pronouns, but it definitely could be. And what with the 'one Natani, two Natani' (shoutouts to Count von Count), I could see it being a moment of honest confusion. (I could see it being something a lot less charitable, too, but benefit of the doubt and all.)

Tyger42 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:49 am Holy crap. Zen shows compassion, care for his sibling, and progress on understanding and [censored] gotta [censored] all over him. Good lord, people, who pissed in your cheerios?
It's more that Zen's been pissing in Natani's cheerios (that already came pre-pissed in, courtesy of him), for something like seven years now. Step one would be to just stop being such a gargantuan failure of a brother (but it doesn't look like he's quite there yet), then step two could be something actually worth a bit of cheering.

I do like him here, mostly, but he's got a tough row to hoe. The moment of truth is going to be whenever it finally clicks for him what originally happened with the link, and how he's going to react to that realization. That's when we'll see who he really is.
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

ZeroJinKui
Banned
Banned

Re: Comic for Sunday, May 6th, 2018: Bedside Discussion

#22 Post by ZeroJinKui »

oh, natani has DEFINITELY been better off without that connection overwriting who she is.

i mean, i get they have a close relationship and all, but natani was losing who she was, that time apart from zen has been nothing but good for her.

hopefully now she can control the link better and continue to improve herself instead of identifying as her brother, basically.

also, i kinda hope natani freaks zen out now and then when she and keith finally start getting more intimate. :grin:
"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#23 Post by CrRAR »

Thing is, Zen's just as much a victim to fate as Natani. Blaming himself is a slippery slope, there's lots of crappy things to regret about their lives. Nothing he did was for selfish reasons, just misguided from lack of maturity. I think choices made as children and in adolescence are the easiest wrongs to forgive.

Without the link, Natani would have withered away. I think if Zen were to ask Natani if he's been a good brother I have no doubt that Natani would reassure him that, "He wouldn't regret the circumstances of how they got to where they are now, just that it's important they still have each other... and - for that very reason - the chance at a future". (;_;)

...or maybe he'd just punch him on the shoulder and order him to, "Grow a pair, brah" (Then motion to his own "manly" chest, and flex a bicep) :mrgrin:

amenon wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 4:29 am

Kat: Have you ever actually killed anyone?

Zen: Uhhhhhh

Kat: I'm just saying, all the people who have died so far were people you weren't ordered to kill. So maybe you're more like a good luck charm?
lol
Rafe wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:21 pm On the other hand, Zen just admitted that deep inside, he thinks that he's been a failure. In his life, and Natani's, he "keeps screwing up".
Great! An assassin with a conscience. Explains SO MUCH.
Neutral Smith wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 7:21 pm Saturday, May 6? (and yes, the topic uses the title of the last post)
I fixed it, I fixed it (yesterday)! I had hurriedly posted from a tablet. :p
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

Panther
Merchant

#24 Post by Panther »

F**king Hell , Kat and Zen : STOP TO SPEAK AND KISS YOU BOTH :D
Man is a wolf for man ........ Don't insult the wolves :natani:

Tyger42
Apprentice

#25 Post by Tyger42 »

amenon wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 4:29 am
Tyger42 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:49 am Holy crap. Zen shows compassion, care for his sibling, and progress on understanding and [censored] gotta [censored] all over him. Good lord, people, who pissed in your cheerios?
It's more that Zen's been pissing in Natani's cheerios (that already came pre-pissed in, courtesy of him), for something like seven years now. Step one would be to just stop being such a gargantuan failure of a brother (but it doesn't look like he's quite there yet), then step two could be something actually worth a bit of cheering.

I do like him here, mostly, but he's got a tough row to hoe. The moment of truth is going to be whenever it finally clicks for him what originally happened with the link, and how he's going to react to that realization. That's when we'll see who he really is.
Don't need to cheer him yet, but there's a whole lot of ground between cheering him and [censored] all over him...

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#26 Post by SpottedKitty »

CrRAR wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:58 am ...or maybe he'd just punch him on the shoulder and order him to, "Grow a pair, brah" (Then motion to his own "manly" chest, and flex a bicep) :mrgrin:
Y'know, that really ought to appear — if not in the comic, then in a stream sketch — just so we can see Zen's reaction. :zen: Image
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

Phaing
Master

#27 Post by Phaing »

Tyger42 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:24 pm Don't need to cheer him yet, but there's a whole lot of ground between cheering him and [censored] all over him...
Ahmen!

Still an interesting point to me; Kat seems to have made a shirt for herself out of the same material that the bedsheets are made of.
A possible Freudian slip?
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

Panther
Merchant

#28 Post by Panther »

Panther wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:42 pm F**king Hell , Kat and Zen : STOP TO SPEAK AND KISS YOU BOTH :D
A lot of readers waits/hopes for it :heart:
Man is a wolf for man ........ Don't insult the wolves :natani:

Rafe
Council Member

#29 Post by Rafe »

Phaing wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 4:52 pm Still an interesting point to me; Kat seems to have made a shirt for herself out of the same material that the bedsheets are made of.
A possible Feudian slip?
I 'm pretty sure it's a shirt, not a slip.

Ddraig
Templar Master

#30 Post by Ddraig »

Rafe wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:23 pm
Phaing wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 4:52 pm Still an interesting point to me; Kat seems to have made a shirt for herself out of the same material that the bedsheets are made of.
A possible Feudian slip?
I 'm pretty sure it's a shirt, not a slip.
Spoiler!
I dunno, Kat is a bit of a slip of a girl

also, I see Kat/Eric splurged on the shirt and sheets. Purple was expensive as hell back in the day, there's a reason it was called the color of royalty
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."