Real-world time period equivalent

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

ActiveRadarIsCasul
New Citizen

Real-world time period equivalent

#1 Post by ActiveRadarIsCasul »

Is there a particular real-world equivalent for the time period Twokinds takes place in? Judging by the armor styles and weaponry, I'd guess late medieval period, but im not too well versed in pre-classical history.
I'd really appreciate it if all you dagger and short-sword users could just not turn the battlefield into a pokefest whenever someone shows up with an ultra-greatsword i.e. me

Neptune
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: the bear in my signature

Re: Real-world time period equivalent

#2 Post by Neptune »

ActiveRadarIsCasul wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:57 am Is there a particular real-world equivalent for the time period Twokinds takes place in? Judging by the armor styles and weaponry, I'd guess late medieval period, but im not too well versed in pre-classical history.
The year is ~450, I'm pretty sure.

Beyond that, everything's all over the place.
Image Haha, he's so tiny! Where is he going?

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#3 Post by Technic[Bot] »

My best guess is around 1400. In human terms. Both boats and metallurgy seems to be in that era.

Alas we can't tell for sure. All of the sentient creatures, minus the dragons, are only 4000 years old as for WoG.
What is that in historical terms?
Well the first Egyptians pyramids are from 2630~ B.C. But the first modern humans are around 200 000 years old.
So if they were created with minimal culture they are incredibly slow, if they were created as basic caveman their culture is advancing blazing fast.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Neptune
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: the bear in my signature

#4 Post by Neptune »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 3:46 am My best guess is around 1400. In human terms. Both boats and metallurgy seems to be in that era.

Alas we can't tell for sure. All of the sentient creatures, minus the dragons, are only 4000 years old as for WoG.
Well the first Egyptians pyramids are from 2630~ B.C. But the first modern humans are around 200 000 years old.
So if they were created with minimal culture they are incredibly slow, if they were created as basic caveman their culture is advancing blazing fast.
Since this is the norm for fantasy (countries having absolutely no development in technology since creation, be it millennia), I'd say that it would be the slow path.
If any actual technology comes along, it's gonna be quite a bit, unless Tom decides to throw in a few Kerbals or something and make a technology-vs-magic conflict. That would be interesting, imo
Image Haha, he's so tiny! Where is he going?

ActiveRadarIsCasul
New Citizen

#5 Post by ActiveRadarIsCasul »

Neptune wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:05 pm
Technic[Bot] wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 3:46 am My best guess is around 1400. In human terms. Both boats and metallurgy seems to be in that era.

Since this is the norm for fantasy (countries having absolutely no development in technology since creation, be it millennia), I'd say that it would be the slow path.
If any actual technology comes along, it's gonna be quite a bit, unless Tom decides to throw in a few Kerbals or something and make a technology-vs-magic conflict. That would be interesting, imo
Its a bit hard to picture for me. We haven't seen much from a magic standpoint, just some of the Towers' effects and Trace's dark magic, along with some minor spells from Natani and Zen, so there would be alot of magic to create from a lore standpoint if the continent were to have any chance at all
I'd really appreciate it if all you dagger and short-sword users could just not turn the battlefield into a pokefest whenever someone shows up with an ultra-greatsword i.e. me

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#6 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Neptune wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:05 pm

I remember that in the FullMetal alchemist first animated movie, the inconsequential intro villian made a nuke using physics, he also complained that because everyone was busy making alchemy no one bothering developing physics. I imagine something like that happens in fantasy settings.
In any case I have always felt like a cop out. My favorite fantasy setting are were you have both technology and magic, (Magitek anyone?) but imagine they are very hard to write.

In any case to add to the actual discussion:
Civilization as we understand it today, is only 6000 years old. If the masks created the bunch and taught them basic things like how to build structures and how to farm. Then they would be around the first years A.C. (assuming no external help or otherwise ) but they are clearly a bit more advanced, sort of medieval and almost modern/Renaissance. So yeah they might not be that slow
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide