Comic for February 15, 2018: Dragon Genealogy

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Drago_Whooves

Re: Comic for February 15, 2018: Dragon Genealogy

#46 Post by Drago_Whooves »

Jae wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:22 am Well, it's confirmed. Trace is a dragon. That explain the blue hair and the ability to reproduce with any species.
*closes Book of Evidence*
*Book of Evidence was really half a post-it note*
:potatoes:
Well I don't think we have seen his parents in the comic, my headcanon is he's Nora's son (and therefore Remi's Uncle)

NuclearBird
Master

#47 Post by NuclearBird »

Drago_Whooves wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:00 pm
Jae wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:22 am Well, it's confirmed. Trace is a dragon. That explain the blue hair and the ability to reproduce with any species.
Well I don't think we have seen his parents in the comic, my headcanon is he's Nora's son (and therefore Remi's Uncle)
Early pages (before #400) showed that Trace was the child of two human farmers, and he was taken to the Tamplar Order when his magical talents manifested.
If the universe is infinite, does that mean that there is a version of me out there who's thinking the exact same thing?

While we're on the topic of alternate universes, is there one where I'm a lawyer? If yes, then I may be more evil than I thought.

Elemental Templar
Merchant

#48 Post by Elemental Templar »

NuclearBird wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:21 pm
Early pages (before #400) showed that Trace was the child of two human farmers, and he was taken to the Templar Order when his magical talents manifested.
Or it could be like a "Rick Riordan Modern Demigod" situation: where Trace's mortal parent remarried after the dragon one left, thus giving him mortal parents who raised him. But as he aged the signs of his inhuman heritage in the form of his magical prowess began to manifest and it caught the attention of the Templar.

And other bits of evidence for Trace being a child of Nora don't end there:

1. His outstanding magical prowess, and the fact that dragons are Creatures of Magic
2. The reason Nora was so infatuated with him during his time at the academy
3. It would provide some legitimacy to the two times she's saved his life (Pages 552 and 245)

At first we thought it was because Trace had authority over Nora & other dragons or that Nora had a "Human-Fetish", but it could all just be her trying to be seen as a good mother and make up for not being in his life.
"There are Two kinds of people in this world:
Those who wait for change, and those who make changes themselves. Which one are you?" -Anonymous

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#49 Post by avwolf »

I'd like to point out that this might be the only way dragons reproduce (as Tony has suggested previously as well). That's even more plausible if Xale is right and dragons "breed true" -- their offspring are always dragons. Yes, yes, I know, Reni says "it's definitely not common," but Reni very well may not even know. And, frankly, dragons having offspring is "definitely not common," or there'd be a lot more of them. (Although, being creatures of magic, dragons may have a hard, magically-enforced population cap as well; a mechanism that is sometimes done with fae folk in some stories. In that case, full-blooded dragons would only be able to reproduce when another of them chose to end their time or was killed. It's possible that these mortal-blooded dragons would be a way around those rules.) I'm not sure I personally buy into this idea, at least at this time, but it's an interesting idea nevertheless.
BadFoMo wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:15 pmAlso, I have more of that conversation if anyone's interested.
Always. ;)

It's nice to have confirmation of a lot of this into canon. Most of it isn't a surprise, per se; at the very least we've guessed at it (and we're honestly better prepared to answer Trace's "how does it physically work" question than they are in the comic, which is amusing). But it's still nice to go from supposition to knowledge.

Oh, and in the realm of half-knowledge, Tom's comments on Trace and a dragon-lineage:
Tom wrote:Just to answer a few questions, no, Trace doesn't have any Dragon blood in him. He is not related to dragons in any way.
Sorry to disappoint everyone, but maybe it's better this way: Much less squicky if Trace isn't related to Nora, what with the implications Nora's made and the whole "subtly manipulate/dominate Trace into making love to Flora while she watches" thing Nora had going on previously in the comic.

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#50 Post by BadFoMo »

avwolf wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:46 pm
BadFoMo wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:15 pmAlso, I have more of that conversation if anyone's interested.
Always. ;)

It's nice to have confirmation of a lot of this into canon. Most of it isn't a surprise, per se; at the very least we've guessed at it (and we're honestly better prepared to answer Trace's "how does it physically work" question than they are in the comic, which is amusing). But it's still nice to go from supposition to knowledge.
It's not really much, but ok.
TheBeckoner
Lol I like this page
Some sort of shapeshifting if I had a guess.

Bgrmystr2
obv

Dadrobit
Keiren has no idea of the booping that's coming to him.

JaydenMozingo
Probably shapeshifting yeah

Dadrobit
Hmmm, so if she's (distantly) related to the Human monarchy, then I suppose she has a rather vested interest in the conflict with the assassination of the current king no?

JaydenMozingo
I wouldn't want to imagine my grandparents doing th-... yeah, either, Reni

Terryschannel
Tom, you probably hear this a lot but thanks for everything you do for us

Dadrobit
I'd certainly like to see something like that; the assassination of the king was just kind of brushed over really, it'd be nice to see plot development there.

Twokinds
Yeah, probably. Though, due to the supreme age gap, her grandmother would be the former king's great, great, great, great, great etc relative.

Twokinds
If there related at all anymore, considering how lines of succession can break over time.

Dadrobit
Indeed, was wondering if there was any blood left there at all.

unsteddyphoenix
Yesss I love this dragon lore

unsteddyphoenix
I KNEW they could reproduce with humans, it makes sense.

unsteddyphoenix
Also lol I love how probing trace is
Speaking for the fan...

JaydenMozingo
So now that we know dragons and humans can breed, as well (as seen so far with Flora) as keidran, what about basitins and 'other specified races'?

TheBeckoner
Isn't Trace an exception to reproducing with keidran?

Dadrobit
I think "they don't care what the masks have to say about it" pretty much covers the races alltogether.

unsteddyphoenix
Yeah, it implies that the other races DO care

Dadrobit
Though, her specifying "they" instead of "we" is kind of sad.

unsteddyphoenix
Lol, naw. She's got human citizenship

unsteddyphoenix
No longer an illegal dragon alien

JaydenMozingo
Yeah
lol

Dadrobit
Needs that dual-citezenship yo.
citizenship*
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#51 Post by Schrodinger »

avwolf wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:46 pmOh, and in the realm of half-knowledge, Tom's comments on Trace and a dragon-lineage:
Tom wrote:Just to answer a few questions, no, Trace doesn't have any Dragon blood in him. He is not related to dragons in any way.
Sorry to disappoint everyone, but maybe it's better this way: Much less squicky if Trace isn't related to Nora, what with the implications Nora's made and the whole "subtly manipulate/dominate Trace into making love to Flora while she watches" thing Nora had going on previously in the comic.
That just opens the door for something else to have influenced how much of a prodigious spellcaster Trace became. And I agree that Nora playing matchmaker is more palatable if she's not related in any way. Still creepy though.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#52 Post by aitaituo »

Schrodinger wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:34 am
avwolf wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:46 pmOh, and in the realm of half-knowledge, Tom's comments on Trace and a dragon-lineage:
That just opens the door for something else to have influenced how much of a prodigious spellcaster Trace became. And I agree that Nora playing matchmaker is more palatable if she's not related in any way. Still creepy though.
I also immediately squicked at the suggestion Nora is Trace's mother.

NuclearBird
Master

#53 Post by NuclearBird »

aitaituo wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:16 am
Schrodinger wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:34 am
I also immediately squicked at the suggestion Nora is Trace's mother.
Yeah, I think we can all agree to that.
If the universe is infinite, does that mean that there is a version of me out there who's thinking the exact same thing?

While we're on the topic of alternate universes, is there one where I'm a lawyer? If yes, then I may be more evil than I thought.

Jae
Apprentice

#54 Post by Jae »

Elemental Templar wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:02 pm
NuclearBird wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:21 pm
Early pages (before #400) showed that Trace was the child of two human farmers, and he was taken to the Templar Order when his magical talents manifested.
Or it could be like a "Rick Riordan Modern Demigod" situation: where Trace's mortal parent remarried after the dragon one left, thus giving him mortal parents who raised him. But as he aged the signs of his inhuman heritage in the form of his magical prowess began to manifest and it caught the attention of the Templar.

And other bits of evidence for Trace being a child of Nora don't end there:

1. His outstanding magical prowess, and the fact that dragons are Creatures of Magic
2. The reason Nora was so infatuated with him during his time at the academy
3. It would provide some legitimacy to the two times she's saved his life (Pages 552 and 245)

At first we thought it was because Trace had authority over Nora & other dragons or that Nora had a "Human-Fetish", but it could all just be her trying to be seen as a good mother and make up for not being in his life.
Now I want Trace to try to kill a dragon, only to have it say, "Trace... I AM YOUR FATHER!"
—Jae Lynn

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#55 Post by Hulk10 »

Why would Nora be Trace's mother?
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.