Comic for February 15, 2018: Dragon Genealogy

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Xale
Traveler

Re: Comic for February 15, 2018: Dragon Genealogy

#31 Post by Xale »

leinglo wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:51 am Seeing as how Reni doesn't seem to have inherited any human traits I'm guessing her grandmother got shapeshifted into a dragon rather than the usual shtick of the dragon shapeshifting into a human.
That, or the specifics that allows dragons to mix is due to dragon genetics being extremely dominant. Offspring always become dragons, with only minor traits inherited from the other.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#32 Post by Technic[Bot] »

So Trace did not remembered he was a Templar Grand Maestre.
He did not remember he was very well "acquaintanced" to a dragon.
He did not remember he was married.
He did not remember he is a widow.
He did not remember staging a violent coup d'etat to seize power.

And now there is the posibility he did not remember he has a dragon-human child...

Also TRace, i know you are amnesiac but it is common sense not to ask people about the details of their conception, or their parents for that matter
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

NuclearBird
Master

#33 Post by NuclearBird »

1. Karen's adorable face is eternal
2. Reni's awkwardness keeps rising
3. Trace is still tactless

10/10 Still good.
If the universe is infinite, does that mean that there is a version of me out there who's thinking the exact same thing?

While we're on the topic of alternate universes, is there one where I'm a lawyer? If yes, then I may be more evil than I thought.

Rafe
Council Member

#34 Post by Rafe »

NuclearBird wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:10 am ... 2. Reni's awkwardness keeps rising ...
Hadn't occurred to me before, but with these new revelations about Reni's life, we get some insight into her feelings about herself.

Most dragons seem to be very confident and self-assured, and have no qualms about telling other (in their opinion) lesser creatures just how wise and powerful they are. Reni is obviously not this way. She's young, but it seems to go beyond that. Perhaps being raised among humans, she was respected, but still felt out of place. Poor Reni was always the "other", not only among humans, but among dragons, and somehow never developed the usual dragon sense of superiority.

When she gets asked embarrassing questions, rather than ignoring them or changing the subject, she feels that she has to explain herself. This might come from the fact that, being a telepath, it's a lot harder for her to cover up her thoughts and feelings. In any case, it's a great way to inject new information into the story, and makes Reni a very entertaining character.

SomeBody
Citizen

#35 Post by SomeBody »

Rafe wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:56 pm
NuclearBird wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:10 am ... 2. Reni's awkwardness keeps rising ...
Hadn't occurred to me before, but with these new revelations about Reni's life, we get some insight into her feelings about herself.

Most dragons seem to be very confident and self-assured, and have no qualms about telling other (in their opinion) lesser creatures just how wise and powerful they are. Reni is obviously not this way. She's young, but it seems to go beyond that. Perhaps being raised among humans, she was respected, but still felt out of place. Poor Reni was always the "other", not only among humans, but among dragons, and somehow never developed the usual dragon sense of superiority.

When she gets asked embarrassing questions, rather than ignoring them or changing the subject, she feels that she has to explain herself. This might come from the fact that, being a telepath, it's a lot harder for her to cover up her thoughts and feelings. In any case, it's a great way to inject new information into the story, and makes Reni a very entertaining character.
...This kinda makes me want the "Nibbly as Trace's daughter with Nora" to be true. Because then we'd get to have a "Reni as big sister" thing, and that would be adorable as hell.

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#36 Post by BadFoMo »

CrRAR wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:35 am...but seriously, does this mean Trace x Nora potentially have an army of indestructible children hoarded somewhere, waiting to be unleashed!?
This just gave me a horrible idea. Remember when we were still speculating was coming through the Riftwall Tavern's portal and how I suggested it may have been Golem like creatures created by Old_Trace acting as sleeper agents hiding in the space between the portals? Wouldn't it be dark if (/am I deranged for thinking that) Old_Trace did something like that with any children he and Lady Nora may have had?

Rafe wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:27 amIn any case, Reni having a family history of human/magic/cross-species reproduction might bring her closer to someone with a very similar story - Raine.
I don't really have anything useful to add, but I kind of like the idea of the two of them hanging out because of that.

leinglo wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:51 amSeeing as how Reni doesn't seem to have inherited any human traits I'm guessing her grandmother got shapeshifted into a dragon rather than the usual shtick of the dragon shapeshifting into a human.

I mean, considering what Nora can do to people, is that really so far-fetched?
I'd like to think that's what happened. But then again, I'm that weird fan that likes TF.

steelabjur wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:37 amWe don't know if that is necessarily the case, after all Neutral was able to lift the Human/Keidran hybrid ban without the help or agreement of the other Masks, which suggests that she was the sole source of that ban.
I always wondered about that myself. Maybe the Masks are ‘allowed’ to mess with each other's toys as long as they don't get caught?

AndreRhineDavis wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:56 am
Reni wrote:I’ve… only ever been a dragon, so I don’t know…
It's things like this that Tom puts in that really makes me feel like he reads the forum and that influences what he includes in the comic.

Just last week, BadFoMo posted:
BadFoMo wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:43 pmI'm not sure if I should continue holding onto my moronic ‘Vampire: the Masquerade’ inspired theory/transformation interest or not.
I mean, Reni is vague enough that I could continue believing that Nora was one of the first actual Dragons (if not the first) and that all other Dragons after her are Humans/Basitins/Keidran/etc. which she turned into Dragons because she thought they were worthy of such power/turned by others who were previously turned by her for the same reason, but I feel this is most likely just a normal family tree.
Well, I guess I have to give up on that fantasy. …Or, I could just simply modify it.

In addition to sticking to their own species to have offspring, they can transform Humans/Basitins/Keidran/etc. whom they deem worthy of being Dragons for such reasons.

AndreRhineDavis wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:56 amAlso, for what it's worth, the dragon family tree from last page seemed to have a single line going from parent to child, as if children were born of one parent. This could just be a stylistic choice by Tom, or something that Tom didn't think about, or Reni may have only been including certain ancestors, (e.g. only the women, as dragon society may be matriarchal), or whatever. But it's interesting to note.
I have two additional theories.
1. She's showing the part of an example/the family tree which involves transformation (which would need only one ‘parent’).
2. She’s only showing the relatives that she has heard of/remembers hearing about.

Dadrobit wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:53 amIt's interesting to note how she swaps from "we" to "they" when talking about dragon culture. I wonder if she often unconsciously or even consciously disassociates herself from being a dragon or among dragon culture?

Also, I hope we get to see some vested interest in the keidran conflict from Reni on a personal level. The possibility of her being, (distantly) related to the king that was just assassinated could provide a lot of drastically needed agency for her character and I'd kill to see some development on the assassination plot and its story possibilities that were just brushed over before.

But as Tom posted in chat when I prompted that inquiry earlier:
Tom wrote:Yeah, probably. Though, due to the supreme age gap, her grandmother would be the former king's great, great, great, great, great etc relative.

If there related at all anymore, considering how lines of succession can break over time. (sic)
So that's a big old pile of "Maybe." :mrgrin:
I nominate the King's assassination and his relationship to Reni as side comic material.

Also, I have more of that conversation if anyone's interested.

Arbiter wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:25 pmAm I the only one who want's to see a side story about how Reni's grandparents met?

Why do I have a feeling that they were in a damsel in distress situation, with her grandfather kiddnaping the princess and knights trying to save her from the "evil" dragon. The only probleme were that the two of them eventually fell in love. :D
I too would like to see that.

Anyway, about how Karen is reacting to Reni; how is she going to react to Seraphina if the two ever meet?

P.S. Very late I know, but did this get updated before I got here?
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

NuclearBird
Master

#37 Post by NuclearBird »

Somebody give that poor dragoness a hug.
If the universe is infinite, does that mean that there is a version of me out there who's thinking the exact same thing?

While we're on the topic of alternate universes, is there one where I'm a lawyer? If yes, then I may be more evil than I thought.

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#38 Post by SpottedKitty »

BadFoMo wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:15 pm Anyway, about how Karen is reacting to Reni; how is she going to react to Seraphina if the two ever meet?
Speaking of our favourite irritable Adrakist, this discussion puts a really different complexion on her "wanting to become a dragon", along with the details Lynn revealed. The thot plickens! :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

SomeBody
Citizen

#39 Post by SomeBody »

AndreRhineDavis wrote: Also, for what it's worth, the dragon family tree from last page seemed to have a single line going from parent to child, as if children were born of one parent. This could just be a stylistic choice by Tom, or something that Tom didn't think about, or Reni may have only been including certain ancestors, (e.g. only the women, as dragon society may be matriarchal), or whatever. But it's interesting to note.
Given the context, I figured it was the direct lines back up to Nora.

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

#40 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

SomeBody wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:34 am
AndreRhineDavis wrote: Also, for what it's worth, the dragon family tree from last page seemed to have a single line going from parent to child, as if children were born of one parent. This could just be a stylistic choice by Tom, or something that Tom didn't think about, or Reni may have only been including certain ancestors, (e.g. only the women, as dragon society may be matriarchal), or whatever. But it's interesting to note.
Given the context, I figured it was the direct lines back up to Nora.
Oh yeah, that makes perfect sense. <facepalm at my stupidity> :P

Elo
Master

#41 Post by Elo »

Personally, I am just glad there is at least evidence that human ladies have hooked up with another one of the main races (dragon/kerdian/basitin) :grin: . Human men can't be the only ones attracted to the other races. Human ladies want some too darn it :wink: ! :heart:
My Deviantart Page: http://themightyelo.deviantart.com/
My Furaffinity Page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/themightyelo/
My Tumblr Page: http://themightyelo.tumblr.com/

"Not all who wander are lost." - The Lord of the Rings

Rafe
Council Member

#42 Post by Rafe »

As a scholar of furry literature, I have to point out that this is not the first time we've seen a story featuring this situation:

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#43 Post by Technic[Bot] »

BadFoMo wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:15 pm
steelabjur wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:37 amWe don't know if that is necessarily the case, after all Neutral was able to lift the Human/Keidran hybrid ban without the help or agreement of the other Masks, which suggests that she was the sole source of that ban.
I always wondered about that myself. Maybe the Masks are ‘allowed’ to mess with each other's toys as long as they don't get caught?
I always assumed neutral was effectively breaking a rule when allowing hybrids. I mean score keeping gets very hard when your points start mating with the other players points. So it was in the best interest of all masks to keep hybrids from happening. Unless you're about to lose.
That is assuming it is Trace child and it is Tom is not pulling some Bloodborbe stuff where neutral instead of allowing hybrids simply "put" something in Flora. Hope not that would be horrible.
Also it sounds like dragons being unaffected by the masks tabletop games. Existed even before them. That is just my interpretation on it though.

Feeling out of place seems like a common theme for the comic. Reni is a hybrid at some level. Raine shapeshifts and has never been accepted by her family, Keith is still figuring out what to do with his life and has conflicting feeling about his country, Mike despite being Keidran is culturally human, Flora, despite being Keidran in every way ,was "dismissed", to say the least, by her own kind for having spent so much time among Trace. He feels out of place almost all the time, since you know, he is amnesiac. Even Maeve, has been told she sounds "human" And then there is Natani.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Jae
Apprentice

#44 Post by Jae »

Well, it's confirmed. Trace is a dragon. That explain the blue hair and the ability to reproduce with any species.
*closes Book of Evidence*
*Book of Evidence was really half a post-it note*
:potatoes:
—Jae Lynn

Warrl
Grand Templar

#45 Post by Warrl »

Rafe wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:06 am As a scholar of furry literature, I have to point out that this is not the first time we've seen a story featuring this situation:
A repeat of the link in my post on Friday (still nsfw)