Comic for February 8, 2018: The Pecking Order

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

amenon
Grand Templar

Re: Comic for February 8, 2018: The Pecking Order

#16 Post by amenon »

Foxx Trotter wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:50 pmAlso, I believe in the second panel that the wording should be "...or most other dragons for that matter."
Seconded. And the last comma on the page feels a bit awkward.

Page in general feels kinda cramped to me, with both 'Merciful Nora' and 'Nana Nora' worked in there, and the lineage exposition clunks a little, with Trace pulling at the thread like that. Nice info to have though.

I definitely don't envy Tom for the medium he works in :P

Candycat wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:00 pm
BadJoke wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:02 pm Also, the tower's explosion who put her to sleep... does it means that the templars have in their hands a toll strong enough to put down the most powerful being of their world?! That's some nuke they got here.
Maybe a smaller version could be conceived, something similar to a hand grenade, but then there's the question of would that even be enough to incapacitate a dragon like Nora? I'd say no, considering Nora was still able to carry Trace off a considerable distance before absolutely needing to rest, despite the magic nuke.
Well, they've got the mana sinks. (Well, may have, anyway; perhaps that was Randal's side project on the island, and now they don't anymore :P) One of those might be able to trap a dragon.
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

ClockworkPanda
Citizen

#17 Post by ClockworkPanda »

Man, Trace is like the master of ending up in the pants of power :P

BadJoke
Templar GrandMaster

#18 Post by BadJoke »

BadJoke wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:02 pm So she's basically a living god with the temper of a teenager (at best)... What could possibly go wron- for what we've seen, everything actually. :|

Also, the tower's explosion who put her to sleep... does it means that the templars have in their hands a toll strong enough to put down the most powerful being of their world?! That's some nuke they got here.
I don't know, wouldn't it be kinda boring trying to be all regal and "wise" all the time? Especially when you only get stronger with time? I mean there are plenty of old people irl who still do typically young people stuff. (Except of course they do it with way less stupid involved) Old people just don't care.

I also agree that it does seem the Templar have a away to deal with the most powerful beings of their world. I don't think we've seen anything more powerful than Nora except maybe the Masks. But the Templar would have to use dark magic to trigger the chain reaction, and then of course there are major drawbacks—for instance, the tower has to explode, all the magic in a rather wide area gets wiped out for a long while, and of course there's a big explosion, and it seems rather expensive. The only use I see for this would be as a trap. A very expensive trap that would need the backing of someone powerful in order to be built.

Maybe a smaller version could be conceived, something similar to a hand grenade, but then there's the question of would that even be enough to incapacitate a dragon like Nora? I'd say no, considering Nora was still able to carry Trace off a considerable distance before absolutely needing to rest, despite the magic nuke.
I'm not saying it's a bad writing choice from Tom. Actually it's a good one.
No, I'm saying that an immature person with god-like powers is very bad news for the people around said person. As Tom depicted in the comic in fact (which is, as I said, a good one): for all she did in the story so far Nora has done some bad stuff due to her using her powers/responsibilities without care for consequences and those came back to bite people around.

And for the magical stuff, even if we taker the explosion for the accident it is that still means the templars have at hand some strong stuff. If it can take down the strongest of dragons when it blows up, it's possible that can rival with a lesser dragon already or after some development. Anyway, dragon or not, that says a lot about the magic superiority they have already over the other races and a bad sign for the future, considering they are about to outrace the dragons (centuries old) with their last technological-magic developments.
Let's hope they won't be left free to use that power for too long...
Criminals are less dangerous than virtuous people: they kill less.

ZeroJinKui
Banned
Banned

#19 Post by ZeroJinKui »

like i said before... nora is god! :heart:

reni, meanwhile, is no more important than a speck of sand. :P

i hope reni is explaining this so everyone can hear, especially red... so he can hear just how foolish he and the others are for regarding reni as anything special, and realize just how special and important trace is.

i miss nora... will she ever come back?
"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax

Candycat
Citizen

#20 Post by Candycat »

BadJoke wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:31 pm
BadJoke wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:02 pm So she's basically a living god with the temper of a teenager (at best)... What could possibly go wron- for what we've seen, everything actually. :|

Also, the tower's explosion who put her to sleep... does it means that the templars have in their hands a toll strong enough to put down the most powerful being of their world?! That's some nuke they got here.
I don't know, wouldn't it be kinda boring trying to be all regal and "wise" all the time? Especially when you only get stronger with time? I mean there are plenty of old people irl who still do typically young people stuff. (Except of course they do it with way less stupid involved) Old people just don't care.

I also agree that it does seem the Templar have a away to deal with the most powerful beings of their world. I don't think we've seen anything more powerful than Nora except maybe the Masks. But the Templar would have to use dark magic to trigger the chain reaction, and then of course there are major drawbacks—for instance, the tower has to explode, all the magic in a rather wide area gets wiped out for a long while, and of course there's a big explosion, and it seems rather expensive. The only use I see for this would be as a trap. A very expensive trap that would need the backing of someone powerful in order to be built.

I'm not saying it's a bad writing choice from Tom. Actually it's a good one.
No, I'm saying that an immature person with god-like powers is very bad news for the people around said person. As Tom depicted in the comic in fact (which is, as I said, a good one): for all she did in the story so far Nora has done some bad stuff due to her using her powers/responsibilities without care for consequences and those came back to bite people around.

And for the magical stuff, even if we taker the explosion for the accident it is that still means the templars have at hand some strong stuff. If it can take down the strongest of dragons when it blows up, it's possible that can rival with a lesser dragon already or after some development. Anyway, dragon or not, that says a lot about the magic superiority they have already over the other races and a bad sign for the future, considering they are about to outrace the dragons (centuries old) with their last technological-magic developments.
Let's hope they won't be left free to use that power for too long...
You know, that's an interesting thing. It seems that as a consequence of not having any semblance of government or some kind of leadership the dragons haven't really developed beyond the innate magical ability/understanding they have. If the dragons had even established a group identity beyond 'we're all dragons' I don't think the templar would be able to come close to matching them like they have—after all, the dragons are kinda ancient. And it's not like dragons have something against learning, since Reni legitimately learned English.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#21 Post by Schrodinger »

A long time ago I theorized that the reason Nora was so interested in Trace was because he had something that other humans didn't, a wellspring of raw magical power. Tom has said dragons are creatures of pure magic and now with this explanation by Reni we know that dragons grow more powerful as they age and that power is to be respected. So it follows that the magical aura that made Nora's scales quiver puts Trace on the level far beyond other mages. But he's not alone there, even Mary Silverlock could frighten an elder dragon like Nora into fleeing.

Just a little observation.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#22 Post by Hulk10 »

Yeah the scales quiver was interesting. Plus he proved he was Trace, even though his memories were gone.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#23 Post by aitaituo »

amenon wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:12 pm
BadJoke wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:02 pm Also, the tower's explosion who put her to sleep... does it means that the templars have in their hands a toll strong enough to put down the most powerful being of their world?! That's some nuke they got here.
Well, they've got the mana sinks. (Well, may have, anyway; perhaps that was Randal's side project on the island, and now they don't anymore :P) One of those might be able to trap a dragon.
What about just using black magic to drain the life force out of a dragon directly? Nora said it was the mana draining effect that injured her. It would probably kill the caster, too, though.

Candycat
Citizen

#24 Post by Candycat »

aitaituo wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:08 pm
amenon wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:12 pm
What about just using black magic to drain the life force out of a dragon directly? Nora said it was the mana draining effect that injured her. It would probably kill the caster, too, though.
The simplest most easy way to make a dragon submit I think is a hostage situation; but then that dragon has to care a lot about whoever the hostage might be, since apparently it's every dragon for themselves.

I suppose black magic could do it, but yeah, there is the side effect of death. Maybe if the user was powerful like Trace they'd only be partly corrupted? Hell of a sacrifice though.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#25 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I think nora acts that way because she is bored.
Most dragons keep to themselves, feeling too grandiose and majestic to care about other races. But after being around soo long she got bored about it, being disenfranchised is boring, and started to meddle in the "mere mortals" affairs. since it was fun she kept going at it and eventually got invested in some people. Like Trace.

Also it is not necesary for her to be "The first" dragon to be related to pretty much anyone. If you start reconstructing your family tree you will notice that it is meshed with everyone else ,since there has never been that many people alive at any point to have completely separated family trees***. The same thing with Nora.

On the other hand I imagine she is lonely. I imagine most of her ]"childhood" friends are dead, else she would not be that important. And that getting to be that old is rare even for her kind.

***In case anyone is interested: This article explains it much better
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#26 Post by avwolf »

It is reasonable to assume that Nora is not the first dragon, though she may well be among the first generation -- or a relatively early generation anyway. She refers here to "brothers and sisters," and Nora has not thus far appeared to use those terms in a non-familial way (as, for instance, the Basitins may use fraternal terms to describe other Basitins who are not relatives).

Tom's mentioned on the forums that Dragons, when they spend time around the other races, tend to be venerated as sages and historians:
Tom wrote:There are very few dragons in the world. However, they have an unlimited lifespan. In other words, so long as nothing kills them, they are capable of living forever. Dragons also never forget anything they see or hear. They can recall memories of any day they've experienced without flaw. Due to these two attributes, dragons are often referred to as "living libraries." Their minds hold huge volume of information, and they have a natural urge to share it with others. Dragons are often found in the company of Human, Keidran, or Basitin historians.
Nora may be among the oldest that still interact with the races, though; at a certain point, your experience and power is such that "younger" races aren't very interesting anymore. And, of course, they're all going to die anyway. Better to pursue your own interests in peace.

Personal characteristics would become exaggerated over time, something we certainly see in Nora. Dragons who still have an interest in the races would logically be found in the company of historians, who would flatter them and hang on their every word, and, while Reni's role as comedic relief somewhat exempts her from the flaw, it would appear that dragons are fairly vain and appreciate the attention. And, since there's prestige in age and power (and since we certainly don't know how dragons reproduce), it'd make sense for dragons to claim lineage from the oldest and most powerful they can link themselves to -- however tenuously -- to borrow some of the prestige of those forebears.

As creatures of magic, I'm not actually certain that a person could derive black mana from draining a dragon. Black mana is the magic of life. Is that what animates dragons? Nobody other than a dragon (Nora) seemed to feel terribly ill effects from the disruption of magic on the Basidian Isle (though our sample size is awfully small in both cases) and the King's condition improved dramatically (as magic was responsible for at least part of it). So the Tower explosion presumably didn't disrupt life energies on any kind of non-immediate scale, but it still dramatically weakened Nora as it disrupted magical energies on a moderate scale. (I'm quite curious what it did to the fields of subtleflowers too.)

Disrupting magic probably isn't much of a tool of anything but last resort for the Templar -- their primary skill is as battlemages, and Human magic is the talent and edge they have over the Keidran and Basitins alike. It'd have to be a pretty bad situation to say "Okay, I don't want anybody to have magic" when you're the side that possesses it in the greatest abundance and can wield it to the best effect. If they were being attacked en-masse by dragons, that's possibly an option, but the Human kingdom appears to venerate dragons and the Templar have a very positive relationship with them (you can point at Trace and Nora, but it predates Trace significantly, since he met Nora at the Templar academy). I'm not sure what circumstances would make the Templar interested in killing dragons. Even Trace, the guy who wanted to kill everybody, didn't seem interested at all in killing dragons.

Tesla Foxtrot
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Her

#27 Post by Tesla Foxtrot »

So the princess is not a princess in any way and every dragon is related to Nora somehow... I guess that tells alot about nora's power within the world
The communist part is a inside-joke with friends. :kathrin:

Warrl
Grand Templar

#28 Post by Warrl »

tony1695 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:49 amI have the theory that the dragons of Twokinds are like the Asari, members of a single-gender species that need to *ahem* with mortal races to increase their numbers.
Well, Reni apparently has a born-human grandmother... so either your theory is wrong or Reni's great-grandmother was a dragon shapeshifted to human, and Reni's grandmother wasn't all that human. (Ya know, that's sorta plausible.)