Keidran lifespan and the Masks.

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

TheDodo
Traveler

Keidran lifespan and the Masks.

#1 Post by TheDodo »

Hello everyone.
Since I knew that Trace and Flora will at best share another 10 to 15 years it bothers me quite a bit.
But after a bit of thinking I came to the conclusion that the Masks like Neutral not only have power over the sheer existence of different Species but maybe also hold the balance between reproduction and lifespan humans keidrans and basitians.

So maybe neutral will also be forced to grant the Keidran a greater lifespan after all.

Sincerely Sebastian 73 55
QRT 73 55

Qwe304
Citizen

Re: Keidran lifespan and the Masks.

#2 Post by Qwe304 »

while the limitations of keidran lifespans are worrisome when scrutinized, I am highly doubtful that it will become an issuer for any of the characters in the comic.
Therefore, I believe it best to not put too much thought into it. The comic quickly takes a dark turn when closely investigated, for example; besides just outliving flora, its likely he would also outlive his own child(ren).
Reality is a cool place but I wouldn't want to live there -anonymous

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#3 Post by Technic[Bot] »

TheDodo wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:03 pm Hello everyone.
Since I knew that Trace and Flora will at best share another 10 to 15 years it bothers me quite a bit.
But after a bit of thinking I came to the conclusion that the Masks like Neutral not only have power over the sheer existence of different Species but maybe also hold the balance between reproduction and lifespan humans keidrans and basitians.

So maybe neutral will also be forced to grant the Keidran a greater lifespan after all.

Sincerely Sebastian 73 55
You brought an interesting point. Not a fan of the concept of mask as it is rigth now. seems like a big deus ex button to be used in case Tom writes himself on a corner, "oh the mask willed it that way... Because reasons" or when he decides to undo something. Like killing one character and then deciding that may have been a bad idea.

In any case at the end of the story the mask have to be dealt whit and I Imagine one way or another Trace will defeat them and let his people be in control of their destiny, for once. And probably on his last stand they wil grant him a wish or something to that effect ,like giving him his powers. Wich he will then use to equate Keidran and human lifespan or something like that**
Qwe304 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:21 am while the limitations of keidran lifespans are worrisome when scrutinized, I am highly doubtful that it will become an issuer for any of the characters in the comic.
Therefore, I believe it best to not put too much thought into it. The comic quickly takes a dark turn when closely investigated, for example; besides just outliving flora, its likely he would also outlive his own child(ren).
In case Tom does not pull a Bloodborne with the whole pregnacy arc. I imagine a Hybrid will have a larger lifespan than a Keidran but shorter than a human (40 years maybe?). Right? Right? I hope. The altenative is really too dark...

On that note I never liked the whole lifespan thing. It is merely speculation but i think the whole 20 something years was so Tom cold make a joke out of the situation. And decided to go with it for longer that it should. A similar effecty could have been made if Keidran lived 40 +- years (half a human lifespan) and Flora had been 24-25. He would still outlive her but it would be less extreme.

**100% theory.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

JohnTheWysard
Apprentice

#4 Post by JohnTheWysard »

Well, the whole Twokinds premise is a different way of looking at Robert Graves' definition of poetry: "seeking what remains of the beloved". We're all under a sentence of death, and usually don't know when it will be carried out; Basitins are short-timers, humans longer, dragons longer yet. But we all have to cope with that fact.

I was reading a newspaper today and was wryly amused to note that about half of the ages in the obits were younger than I am now... and about half older. I'm cool with that. Trace wasn't cool with it regarding to his late wife, which is what set off a whole lot of the ongoing plot of this visual prose-poem; and all the characters are dealing with it in one way or another.

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#5 Post by Hulk10 »

I'm not a fan of the idea of the Masks or the short lifespan of Keidrans either. But we can make our own stories ourselves in the Twokinds universe. We just can't claim them as canon.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

TheDodo
Traveler

#6 Post by TheDodo »

Qwe304 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:21 am while the limitations of keidran lifespans are worrisome when scrutinized, I am highly doubtful that it will become an issuer for any of the characters in the comic.
I don't think so.
Actually I'm pretty sure that this Will become a problem.
Already they traveled together for at least one year.

Also I'm aware of the changes that are taking place for Trace.
We know that every time he looses control over himself the black mark will grow and further consume him.
So either way one of the two will run out of time. But ther are 3 mayor possibilities for an outcome.

1 Trace will finally loose control and probably die.

2 Flora will die of high age.

3 a third-party will deal with the problem and solve it. Or at least offer a solution to this.
QRT 73 55

Phaing
Master

#7 Post by Phaing »

Well, this comic has been going on for how many years?
And it has covered a time-span in that world of about 6 months, tops.

Let's face it, gang, we will all be dead long before Flora is.

Peace out! :twisted:
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

TheDodo
Traveler

#8 Post by TheDodo »

So we need to speed up the process of making the individual pages first

But neither the less this is a issue worth discussing.
QRT 73 55

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.

#9 Post by Hulk10 »

It seems unlikely that this strip will have a sad ending.

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#10 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Phaing wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:59 pm Well, this comic has been going on for how many years?
And it has covered a time-span in that world of about 6 months, tops.

Let's face it, gang, we will all be dead long before Flora is.

Peace out! :twisted:
I am sure Tom will be the retired head of radiotherapists from a highly respected hospital by the time he decides to end the story in the year 2056. After 14 years it is clear he is in no hurry to finish the comic.
Hulk10 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:33 pm It seems unlikely that this strip will have a sad ending.
Unless we have a plot-twist. It was all Evil Trace plan all along and the masks were a Red-Herring! He needed to loose his memories and create a hybrid to do.... something.... that kills everyone else!
Probably not. Most likely no...
TheDodo wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:09 am I don't think so.
Actually I'm pretty sure that this Will become a problem.
Already they traveled together for at least one year.

Also I'm aware of the changes that are taking place for Trace.
We know that every time he looses control over himself the black mark will grow and further consume him.
So either way one of the two will run out of time. But ther are 3 mayor possibilities for an outcome.

1 Trace will finally loose control and probably die.
2 Flora will die of high age.
3 a third-party will deal with the problem and solve it. Or at least offer a solution to this.
It is my theory that at the end Trace will make peace with his dark past and expunge the darkness out of himself at some point. Some time later he will 'die' sacrificing himself to save everyone from whatever Toms decides to be the last antagonist of the story, maybe the masks. But in the end after saving the world and what-not a Tom cameo Elder God will materialize and resurrect him while also increasing Keidran lifespan, as a gift for him.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

GaySailors
Merchant
Fav. Twokinds Character: Alaric :D

#11 Post by GaySailors »

I'll throw in my hat.

It's way too early to make predictions. We don't know if Trace will fall back into trying to find a way to extend Flora's lifespan, whether he'll succeed if he does, or if he'll learn to appreciate what he has while he has it, and just live happily with Flora until time takes its course. I wouldn't farther than we can see, Tom has a habit of throwing in wrenches.

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster

#12 Post by Hulk10 »

Yeah we have no idea how things will progress.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#13 Post by Technic[Bot] »

GaySailors wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:37 am I'll throw in my hat.

It's way too early to make predictions. We don't know if Trace will fall back into trying to find a way to extend Flora's lifespan, whether he'll succeed if he does, or if he'll learn to appreciate what he has while he has it, and just live happily with Flora until time takes its course. I wouldn't farther than we can see, Tom has a habit of throwing in wrenches.
One thing the newest Star wars movie taught us is that it is almost impossible to predict how wil a story unfold based on partial information.

It is much harder for TwoKinds since it will probably finish on the second half of this century. So the chance of any of us actually predicting what will
happen is basically none. But it is still pretty fun to theorize and chat about it on the mean time. Dont' you agree?

Personally i think Tom dropped the idea of Good-Guy Trace trying to make Flora live longer some time ago. When Nora convinced him not to.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster

#14 Post by Hulk10 »

I can't remember Nora convincing him not to. I personally think that only the Masks can extend life.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#15 Post by avwolf »

Hulk10 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:52 am I can't remember Nora convincing him not to. I personally think that only the Masks can extend life.
This is the moment when Nora convinced Trace to spend the time he had with Flora wisely instead of pursuing extending her life (presumably "indefinitely.")

We can also safely assume that there are methods to extending life -- or something approximating life -- outside of the Masks' intervention. Euchre (presuming he is not in league with the Masks) and Rose pretty well require it. They're both far too old for Keidran. It's suggested that their family has good genes and is prone to long life, but they both have exceeded the bounds of "good genes" by a pretty solid margin and are well within "a wizard did it." (The "wizard" in question need not be Trace. Euchre is almost certainly responsible for himself, and he may well be responsible for Rose as well -- I'd imagine he felt quite guilty about his actions when she was captured by the Templar and may have tried to make it up to her after Mary threw him out. Though personally, I still think Rose is a product of Trace trying to retain anything and everything that reminds him of Saria, and her close friend -- Snow Wolf Keidran or not -- would do the job.)

Per Tom's comments on the issue:
Tom wrote:The average Keidran lifespan is 20 years.

Keidran typically die of old age between the age of 19 and 21. Yes, there are a few rare individuals who manage to live until they're 25, but it's not very common. That would be very old, equivalent to a human aging beyond 100 years. And it's just as likely a Keidran could die at the age of 17. There are some exceptional Keidran who can keep themselves alive for longer by magical means, but that's extremely rare.