Comic for January 28, 2018: Dragon Hierarchy

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

Re: Comic for January 28, 2018: Dragon Hierarchy

#16 Post by SpottedKitty »

Deaththekat wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:02 am Other, less serious theory, Nora is Renis mom
IMHO that actually fits surprisingly well with Reni's reaction. We know that Reni knows that Trace knows Nora (ow, my brain) but... hmm, did Reni get as far as finding out Nora's current condition when she was rummaging about in Trace's memories? I'm not sure she did.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

amenon
Grand Templar

#17 Post by amenon »

Karen basically climbing on Reni, because of course she is :grin:

Nice spittake, too! And squinting at the first panel, I think Sythe went from being pretty unnerved to, well, not, so it actually had a pretty good result, too. Spittake diplomacy :P
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

Diabolicon
Citizen

#18 Post by Diabolicon »

SpottedKitty wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:23 pm did Reni get as far as finding out Nora's current condition when she was rummaging about in Trace's memories? I'm not sure she did.
Nope she basically beat a hasty retreat/got thrown out when Nora "spoke" to Reni in the memory.

Side note, This is the only comic I know that has a DRAGON somehow be completely awkward/adorkable without even a trace of the "I'm the Superior Species" that most dragons in fiction have, no matter how friendly they are with humans.

Panther
Merchant

#19 Post by Panther »

What if Nora reveals herself to be the queen dragon ?

The water is nicely drawn in the second from end panel . But a question : there was Flora in front of Reni , why this is Sythe being wet ?
Man is a wolf for man ........ Don't insult the wolves :natani:

Warrl
Grand Templar

#20 Post by Warrl »

It occurs to me that ALL adult female cats are "queens". So a young female cat would be a princess, right?

And maybe Reni, years ago when she was just a little kid dragon, learned that the title "princess" had some significance in human society, and for a while introduced herself to humans as "Princess Reni"... and, now that she's in the equivalent of her teenage years (maybe a century later), is kind of embarrassed by that childish affectation but finding that the humans just won't let go of it.

Remember: "Please, just Reni is fine. I'm not really nobility."

SomeBody
Citizen

#21 Post by SomeBody »

Candycat wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:27 am So Trace and Nora were together since Red met him? Wonder why such a high status dragon like Nora would take an interest in Trace, a relative nobody until he rose to power. Maybe she just thought he was cute and decided to keep him?

Reni is such a dorkasaurus :heart:

Can't wait to see a Reni-Nora meet up, if that obvious foreshadowing is anything to go by.

If I remember correctly, Nora finds magical power sexy as hell. And Trace is (was) an absolute powerhouse on that end.

Agree with you about Reni being a lovable derp though. If we had to trade out the trickster-god dragon, this wasn't a bad direction to go.

Candycat
Citizen

#22 Post by Candycat »

SpottedKitty wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:23 pm
Deaththekat wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:02 am Other, less serious theory, Nora is Renis mom
IMHO that actually fits surprisingly well with Reni's reaction. We know that Reni knows that Trace knows Nora (ow, my brain) but... hmm, did Reni get as far as finding out Nora's current condition when she was rummaging about in Trace's memories? I'm not sure she did.
Nora as Reni's mom would be so adorable I would die
ImageImage
ImageImage

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#23 Post by BadFoMo »

I have two theories about Reni's reaction. Which do you think is more plausible?

“Lady Nora taking orders?!”

“A member of Clan (insert clan_1's name here) take orders from a member of Clan (insert clan_2's name here)?!”
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

Warrl
Grand Templar

#24 Post by Warrl »

It's just a guess, but I think the answer to the question in the next-to-last panel might be "no".

ZeroJinKui
Banned
Banned

#25 Post by ZeroJinKui »

nora is god.

reni is a rodent compared to her.

all hail lady nora!

really hope we get to see her again. |D
"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax

Titanium Dragon
Traveler

#26 Post by Titanium Dragon »

Warrl wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:51 pm It occurs to me that ALL adult female cats are "queens". So a young female cat would be a princess, right?

And maybe Reni, years ago when she was just a little kid dragon, learned that the title "princess" had some significance in human society, and for a while introduced herself to humans as "Princess Reni"... and, now that she's in the equivalent of her teenage years (maybe a century later), is kind of embarrassed by that childish affectation but finding that the humans just won't let go of it.

Remember: "Please, just Reni is fine. I'm not really nobility."
Honestly, this seems rather likely, given Remi's behavior. Either that, or the title is a purely human affection - i.e. something that the humans assigned to her - and as far as dragons are concerned, meaningless (or possibly adorable).

It is also possible that Remi is the daughter of some important dragon, and therefore is called princess by humans, but dragon hierarchy doesn't function on such things, and instead is, say, by age - or their system of government is just completely different from the human one (like, say, someone calling the daughter of the US president "princess", when in fact they have no actual political position whatsoever).

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#27 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Dadrobit wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:51 pm And next week we learn that dragons have a completely inverted hierarchic system. Indeed the only dragons less respected among themselves than princesses are those entitled King or Queen! :mrgrin:
In the book Utopia by Thomas More, he describes a fictional kingdom named Utopia. There only prisoners and war captives wear gold or any form of jewelry. As it lacks any real value in thekingdom (it is pretty useless) and weight sa lot. So it is not such a crazy idea.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#28 Post by avwolf »

AndreRhineDavis wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:00 am
SomeBody wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:32 amI kinda suspect the "Royal" thing is a human designation, not a dragon one. Like the Royal House, the Royal Lands, the Royal Horse...
I agree. I don't think dragons themselves have a monarchy; rather Reni is considered a "princess" as some sort of title in the *human* monarchy. But within the dragon world, compared to Nora, she's a nobody xD.
I'm rather with the two of you. The idea of "Royal Dragons" and "Dragon Princesses" seems like a very human affectation. Just as the Basidian King isn't what Humans would traditionally think of as "King" but it is rather the closest approximation of a concept that exists in Basitin society, I suspect "Royal Dragon" doesn't mean there's a form of Dragon royalty so much as there are aspects of some dragons which Humans associate and approximate to their concepts of royalty.

This is really one of what I think is a few big mysteries left to the comic, and I'm somewhat excited to see Tom approach it. We really don't know much (in-canon) about Dragons, certainly not more "normal" Dragons, as Nora is pretty clearly an outlier. I think Reni is also an outlier, but she's also pretty likely to explain what traditionalist Dragons are like, whereas Nora won't care to fill you in on that kind of superfluous thing. It's like how Reni explained that she doesn't understand the Keidran language. Nora would never bother to explain that. (Of course, Nora probably does understand Keidran, because when you're that old and actually interested in the world, why not learn it?)
Panther wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:29 pmThe water is nicely drawn in the second from end panel . But a question : there was Flora in front of Reni , why this is Sythe being wet ?
Because it is much funnier when it happens to Sythe. It would have been Keith a major story arc or two ago, before the Basidian Isle arc. Sythe's just the right amount of uptight for the big laughs.

Alvin-Earthworm
Apprentice

#29 Post by Alvin-Earthworm »

And with each appearance, Reni continues to lose whatever dignity she had and turn into a straight up joke character.
Now I'm just waiting for one of the main cast to catch her drinking out of the toilet in a future page.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#30 Post by Schrodinger »

Alvin-Earthworm wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:51 am And with each appearance, Reni continues to lose whatever dignity she had and turn into a straight up joke character.
Now I'm just waiting for one of the main cast to catch her drinking out of the toilet in a future page.
Welcome back, Alvin. How have you been?
avwolf wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:45 am
AndreRhineDavis wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:00 am
SomeBody wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:32 amI kinda suspect the "Royal" thing is a human designation, not a dragon one. Like the Royal House, the Royal Lands, the Royal Horse...
I agree. I don't think dragons themselves have a monarchy; rather Reni is considered a "princess" as some sort of title in the *human* monarchy. But within the dragon world, compared to Nora, she's a nobody xD.
I'm rather with the two of you. The idea of "Royal Dragons" and "Dragon Princesses" seems like a very human affectation. Just as the Basidian King isn't what Humans would traditionally think of as "King" but it is rather the closest approximation of a concept that exists in Basitin society, I suspect "Royal Dragon" doesn't mean there's a form of Dragon royalty so much as there are aspects of some dragons which Humans associate and approximate to their concepts of royalty.

This is really one of what I think is a few big mysteries left to the comic, and I'm somewhat excited to see Tom approach it. We really don't know much (in-canon) about Dragons, certainly not more "normal" Dragons, as Nora is pretty clearly an outlier. I think Reni is also an outlier, but she's also pretty likely to explain what traditionalist Dragons are like, whereas Nora won't care to fill you in on that kind of superfluous thing. It's like how Reni explained that she doesn't understand the Keidran language. Nora would never bother to explain that. (Of course, Nora probably does understand Keidran, because when you're that old and actually interested in the world, why not learn it?)
It's possible that Reni does come from a bloodline of noble dragons, but that doesn't mean she holds any real authority over other dragons and their territories especially a much older dragon like Nora. But we just don't know enough about dragon culture to say one way or the other, though I'm sure Reni would be willing to divulge that information.
What was it the spider said to the fly...