Comic for January 18, 2018: Mind Trip

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Warrl
Grand Templar

Re: Comic for January 18, 2018: Mind Trip

#31 Post by Warrl »

FiendishlyAdorable wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:16 pm
Schrodinger wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:02 amOne thing occurred to me. Princess Reni specifically asked for permission to enter the Legacy estate.
It seemed like she was being very polite, but now I'm not so sure. It's probably been suggested before, but I'm guessing that Reni was fully aware of the wards Nora set in place. It's possible that Reni and Natani could have set a waypoint just outside the manor to avoid triggering any defenses.

Or more amusingly, they didn't, but there's a different ward in place to shunt anyone trying to teleport in to some random location.
As far as we've seen, nobody in the party except Reni knows about that downside. Tom might have been showing us as a means of foreshadowing. :redhair:
But if Natani asked Trace if it would be okay to set a waypoint in the dining room to bring people back, and Trace said "sure", would that be sufficient permission?

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#32 Post by AmigaDragon »

aitaituo wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:26 am
CrRAR wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:11 amYeah... I think the important takeaway here is that despite at the time being "inconsequential", the knowledge was so quickly recalled that I think indicates a watchful eye has recently been trained on the group... or he's literally just THAT omnipotent. In either case it's possible that the sudden... erm... additions to Group B could bring attention back to them? It only makes sense that they would be followed considering they're a group of Trace's former estranged friends roaming the countryside. XD
Probably overthinking it. Reni flying out of town has got to be hard to miss and I assume Master Seer is at least looking out his own window all of the time.
But looking out his window in what town? He may have heard from Master Spy that Trace was seen on the basitin island but how would they know where he was going from there? Once Brahn saw Trace, word could again be passed where he now is... oops, now he's gone again with Reni, but was he seen getting into her bags by those outside the mansion? As far as anyone outside knows, he may still be in the mansion.
Warrl wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:45 pm
FiendishlyAdorable wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:16 pm
Schrodinger wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:02 amOne thing occurred to me. Princess Reni specifically asked for permission to enter the Legacy estate.
It seemed like she was being very polite, but now I'm not so sure. It's probably been suggested before, but I'm guessing that Reni was fully aware of the wards Nora set in place. It's possible that Reni and Natani could have set a waypoint just outside the manor to avoid triggering any defenses.

Or more amusingly, they didn't, but there's a different ward in place to shunt anyone trying to teleport in to some random location.
As far as we've seen, nobody in the party except Reni knows about that downside. Tom might have been showing us as a means of foreshadowing. :redhair:
But if Natani asked Trace if it would be okay to set a waypoint in the dining room to bring people back, and Trace said "sure", would that be sufficient permission?
Permission might not matter, unless it was Trace himself teleporting in, but it's more secure to block all teleports than to be conditional.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#33 Post by aitaituo »

AmigaDragon wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:52 am
aitaituo wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:26 am
CrRAR wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:11 amYeah... I think the important takeaway here is that despite at the time being "inconsequential", the knowledge was so quickly recalled that I think indicates a watchful eye has recently been trained on the group... or he's literally just THAT omnipotent. In either case it's possible that the sudden... erm... additions to Group B could bring attention back to them? It only makes sense that they would be followed considering they're a group of Trace's former estranged friends roaming the countryside. XD
Probably overthinking it. Reni flying out of town has got to be hard to miss and I assume Master Seer is at least looking out his own window all of the time.
But looking out his window in what town? He may have heard from Master Spy that Trace was seen on the basitin island but how would they know where he was going from there? Once Brahn saw Trace, word could again be passed where he now is... oops, now he's gone again with Reni, but was he seen getting into her bags by those outside the mansion? As far as anyone outside knows, he may still be in the mansion.
Isn't the Master Seer still in Edinmire?

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#34 Post by BadFoMo »

I've been thinking about this for a while now, but does Rose have any input over the Manor's security system? If she does, does anyone think Raine may be in danger due to her being the daughter of her cousin who left her to die?

Even if Rose doesn't have any input over the security system, would Raine still be in trouble due to being the daughter of the previous Grand Templar? I mean, wouldn't the old Trace Legacy want to keep any trace of Mary Silverlock away?
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

NiWo21k
Merchant
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#35 Post by NiWo21k »

BadFoMo wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:43 pm I mean, wouldn't the old Trace Legacy want to keep any trace of Mary Silverlock away?
Maybe, but i am not so sure if he ever thought this far, that this could come back.
If he thought this far ahead, wouldn't he have done something else then just putting them into slavery?
Just an average internet user and :natani: & :raine: fan

My head is full of ideas, but i cant get them on paper - Please brain start thinking about important stuff.

Avatar: a reinterpretation of my own character by Claarin

Warrl
Grand Templar

#36 Post by Warrl »

BadFoMo wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:43 pm I've been thinking about this for a while now, but does Rose have any input over the Manor's security system?
Doubtful, imho.
If she does, does anyone think Raine may be in danger due to her being the daughter of her cousin who left her to die?
I don't think so, in part because I don't see Rose as holding a grudge like that, and in part because Raine is the daughter of the human woman who rescued Rose.
Even if Rose doesn't have any input over the security system, would Raine still be in trouble due to being the daughter of the previous Grand Templar? I mean, wouldn't the old Trace Legacy want to keep any trace of Mary Silverlock away?
I think old Trace was too much of an overconfident arsehole to take the risk of Mary Silverlock returning seriously, after what he had already done to her. And I also think that if he did take preventive measures, they would be more specific to Mary herself.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#37 Post by avwolf »

Warrl wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:17 pm
I think old Trace was too much of an overconfident arsehole to take the risk of Mary Silverlock returning seriously, after what he had already done to her. And I also think that if he did take preventive measures, they would be more specific to Mary herself.
I tend also to think that Trace would have preferred to lay traps to amuse himself. I doubt that Mary or Raine would be in real mortal danger, he'd do something debilitating and embarrassing to them instead, but probably not physically injurious.

That said, Trace didn't apparently lay those wards. Nora did, if Rose is to be believed. Nora is definitely "mean fey prank" and not "magical spikes of death" when it comes to traps and the like (as we see with the wards' actions in that previous comic). I can't easily come up with any convincing reason why Nora would do anything particularly horrible to either Mary or Raine specifically. The fact that Nora is responsible for the wards also makes it unlikely that Trace has meaningful control over them. He may have once, but if he did, I'm sure he no longer remembers their workings.

imalbert
Master

#38 Post by imalbert »

AmigaDragon wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:52 am But looking out his window in what town? He may have heard from Master Spy that Trace was seen on the basitin island but how would they know where he was going from there? Once Brahn saw Trace, word could again be passed where he now is... oops, now he's gone again with Reni, but was he seen getting into her bags by those outside the mansion? As far as anyone outside knows, he may still be in the mansion.
That presumes that Brahn and Sirus are on the same side.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#39 Post by Schrodinger »

avwolf wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:53 pm
Warrl wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:17 pm
I tend also to think that Trace would have preferred to lay traps to amuse himself. I doubt that Mary or Raine would be in real mortal danger, he'd do something debilitating and embarrassing to them instead, but probably not physically injurious.

That said, Trace didn't apparently lay those wards. Nora did, if Rose is to be believed. Nora is definitely "mean fey prank" and not "magical spikes of death" when it comes to traps and the like (as we see with the wards' actions in that previous comic). I can't easily come up with any convincing reason why Nora would do anything particularly horrible to either Mary or Raine specifically. The fact that Nora is responsible for the wards also makes it unlikely that Trace has meaningful control over them. He may have once, but if he did, I'm sure he no longer remembers their workings.
I'm a little fuzzy on the timeline right now, do we know exactly when Trace was made the Duke of Edinmire? Those wards could have been set well before Trace's coup d'etat. It could even be Nora's idea of a wedding present, a home with absolute security.
What was it the spider said to the fly...