Comic of 4 of january 2018 : tyrant offspring

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

Re: Comic of 4 of january 2018 : tyrant offspring

#31 Post by Hulk10 »

AmigaDragon wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:03 pm
Elemental Templar wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:19 amAlso, It's kinda been debated back and forth whether or not Keidran pregnancies are as long as humans, and this comic page pretty much confirms that; we also finally know the approximate length of Keidran pregnancies is about three months. Although, I think the term trimester is generalized in context given how the definition typically refers to a three-month period within humans.
For example, dogs have a gestation period of about nine weeks, trimesters to them would in three week intervals.
Trimester refers to a 3 month period in humans because it's a third of the typical 9 month pregnancy, a 6 month pregnancy would have 2 month trimesters. Being (assumed by Sythe) in her 2nd trimester after 2 months could put typical keidran pregnancy anywhere between 3 and 6 months, she could be just starting or just finishing a trimester at 2 months.
Ran-san wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:59 pm
FiendishlyAdorable wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:59 pm
BadFoMo wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:53 am The way Natani looks and the way she says "Zen..." does not bode well.
We do know that he won't die at least. Unless Tom is about to infuriate his fanbase by killing Zen and Natani - which I highly doubt.
Except that Natani has managed to live and function without Zen due to the anti-magic shackle. The "link" is not needed anymore. If Zen dies, there's no reason Natani will also.
The link was more a side-effect of the soul patching, or perhaps just an addition by Clovis to give him a hook (with a back door) to keep them as agents. I don't think the link was ever required for Natani's survival after the patch.
Hulk10 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:16 amIt was said early on that Flora and Sythe were in an arranged marriage before. But she ran away because she was not happy with it.
Were they in an arranged marriage (already living married) or arranged to be married? Perhaps a very small distinction for some, where an arranged marriage may be considered to be already married even if not yet living together.
I believe they were arranged to be married, but not yet married
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#32 Post by AmigaDragon »

amenon wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:07 pm(And likewise, a semester is six months.)
Okay, then if your school year is broken up into 2 semesters, that's 12 months total. When is summer (or whenever) break? :Maddie: :P
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Warrl
Grand Templar

#33 Post by Warrl »

Well, "semester" has the same root as "semi-" which means half. It's entirely unrelated to any specific integer. A semester is half of a time period that there isn't already another convenient term for, in a context where a convenient way to refer to such a half has some functional utility. (If your time period is two months, you're going to call each half of it a "month".) Change the length of the time period, and the length of the semester changes.

The "tri" in "trimester", on the other hand, apparently relates to three - not to one-third. Strictly logically, a trimester is three {time unit}s, presumably with a time unit making it useful fraction of the standard duration of something - such as a calendar year, or a school year, or to be relevant to this discussion: gestation. For humans, that would three months; for cats, three weeks; for no known species, three years. Opossums would then be pregnant for four trimesters, not three, of only three days each; squirrels, two trimesters of three weeks.

Now if anyone can point to a natural language that operates strictly logically, that might be meaningful. I'm not aware of any. English certainly does not qualify; in fact logic in its operation is kind of hard to find.

Equally plausibly in a real-ish world, the term "trimester" originated with humans for whom it meant both three months and one-third of the standard gestation - those two things coincidentally being of very similar duration - and then the keidran borrowed it with the latter meaning. Perhaps only the latter meaning.

Also equally plausibly, Sythe was still flustered enough that he's factually wrong about Flora being in her second trimester.

ZeroJinKui
Banned
Banned

#34 Post by ZeroJinKui »

Hulk10 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:16 amIt was said early on that Flora and Sythe were in an arranged marriage before. But she ran away because she was not happy with it.
i am aware of the arranged marriage, but that does not necessarily imply anything sexual occurred.

flora seems to have confirmed it with that comment though.

considering she left him and remained loyal to someone who was considered the hitler of their world... i imagine sythe was immensely disappointing as a mate.
"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax

NuclearBird
Master

#35 Post by NuclearBird »

ZeroJinKui wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:28 pm
i am aware of the arranged marriage, but that does not necessarily imply anything sexual occurred.

considering she left him and remained loyal to someone who was considered the hitler of their world... i imagine sythe was immensely disappointing as a mate.
There's a simple explanation for that: Humans have Endurance. That's not even meant as a sex joke. Humans (here in the real world) have a ridiculous amount of stamina compared to other animals.
If the universe is infinite, does that mean that there is a version of me out there who's thinking the exact same thing?

While we're on the topic of alternate universes, is there one where I'm a lawyer? If yes, then I may be more evil than I thought.

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

#36 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

Warrl wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:21 am Well, "semester" has the same root as "semi-" which means half. It's entirely unrelated to any specific integer. A semester is half of a time period that there isn't already another convenient term for, in a context where a convenient way to refer to such a half has some functional utility. (If your time period is two months, you're going to call each half of it a "month".) Change the length of the time period, and the length of the semester changes.

The "tri" in "trimester", on the other hand, apparently relates to three - not to one-third. Strictly logically, a trimester is three {time unit}s, presumably with a time unit making it useful fraction of the standard duration of something - such as a calendar year, or a school year, or to be relevant to this discussion: gestation. For humans, that would three months; for cats, three weeks; for no known species, three years. Opossums would then be pregnant for four trimesters, not three, of only three days each; squirrels, two trimesters of three weeks.

Now if anyone can point to a natural language that operates strictly logically, that might be meaningful. I'm not aware of any. English certainly does not qualify; in fact logic in its operation is kind of hard to find.

Equally plausibly in a real-ish world, the term "trimester" originated with humans for whom it meant both three months and one-third of the standard gestation - those two things coincidentally being of very similar duration - and then the keidran borrowed it with the latter meaning. Perhaps only the latter meaning.

Also equally plausibly, Sythe was still flustered enough that he's factually wrong about Flora being in her second trimester.
Sorry, but I'm afraid "semester" *does not* come from "semi-"
I was surpised about that too when I first found out!

semester (n.)
1827, from German Semester "half-year course in a university," from Latin semestris, in cursus semestris "course of six months," from semestris, semenstris "of six months, lasting six months, half-yearly, semi-annual," from sex "six" (see six) + mensis "month" (see moon (n.)).

trimester (n.)
1821, "period of three months," from French trimestre (early 17c.), from Latin trimestris "of three months," from tri- "three" (see tri-) + mensis "month" (see moon (n.)). Specific obstetrics sense is attested from 1900.

I wouldn't be surprised though if these words have been *reanalysed* by many speakers as containing "semi-" and "tri-", and hence meaning "period of time which is a half (of a year)", "period of time which is a third (of a pregnancy)"

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.

#37 Post by Hulk10 »

NuclearBird wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:06 pm

There's a simple explanation for that: Humans have Endurance. That's not even meant as a sex joke. Humans (here in the real world) have a ridiculous amount of stamina compared to other animals.
You do know that wolves are marathoners too, in fact they are as good as humans, if not better.

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster

#38 Post by Hulk10 »

I don't think that its wise assume that they did have sex. But its definitely possible.

Elemental Templar
Merchant

#39 Post by Elemental Templar »

Hulk10 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:05 am
I don't think that its wise assume that they did have sex. But its definitely possible.
That's kind of a hit or miss either way: while keidran are a sexually-open race and use sex to get to know each other, it was also an arranged marriage and I doubt that they'd allow "consummation" before they were official wed (if going by real-world historical and/or cultural context)
"There are Two kinds of people in this world:
Those who wait for change, and those who make changes themselves. Which one are you?" -Anonymous

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster

#40 Post by Hulk10 »

True, we don't know if they did. They may have. But we don't know.