Comic for December 16, 2017: Talking to the Ex

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Rafe
Council Member

Re: Comic for December 16, 2017: Talking to the Ex

#31 Post by Rafe »

I'm reminded of a novel, (later a film and a TV series which many of you probably know) where most of the characters had names taken from plants. Some of the male characters were
Hazel, Laurel, Strawberry, Buckthorn, Speedwell, Hawkbit, Pimpernel, Celandine, and Woundwort.

Strawberry is red, Pimpernel can be red, but there is also one used more commonly as a name among humans which would be my pick, Campion:

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

#32 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

Clearly Red is the Doctor, and his true name must never be known xD
Schrodinger wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:50 pm I'm partial to the name Basil myself. Seems fittingly ill-suited for him.
Basil would be more suitable for a fox Keidran, wouldn't you say? ;)

Rafe
Council Member

#33 Post by Rafe »

AndreRhineDavis wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:00 am Basil would be more suitable for a fox Keidran, wouldn't you say? ;)
Boom, Boom!

Tendo
Master

#34 Post by Tendo »

Guys, I think those of you trying to guess Red's name are kinda missing the joke here.

This is a fantasy world that could have all sorts of made-up plants with all sorts of made-up names. While some real-world plants and animals exist, plenty of made up ones can exist too.

This is likely why he said that, because it's a joke, since without having any kind of list of plants in this world he may as well have told us no hint at all.

JohnTheWysard
Apprentice

#35 Post by JohnTheWysard »

IHeartMaeve wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:40 pm Ah, yes. That cartoonish eye-pop that occurs then you become victim to extreme surprise.
I've heard the phrase "your eyes were bigger than your stomach" but it looks like his eyes are trying to be bigger than HER stomach!

Xale
Traveler

#36 Post by Xale »

"Reed" then

A plant; while also used as a name derived from old english 'redhead'.

And you know, its basically as close to "Red" as you can get.

Rafe
Council Member

#37 Post by Rafe »

IHeartMaeve wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:40 pm Ah, yes. That cartoonish eye-pop that occurs then you become victim to extreme surprise.

As usual, I'm reminded of yet another story, this one an adult furry comic (later a novel, an opera, and a film); one of the few furry stories that could be called "great literature", The Cunning Little Vixen.
Set-up for the scene - Sharp-Ears the vixen, after being fiercely independent and unattached, and a male fox named Golden-Stripe, who thinks Sharp-Ears is unreachable and beyond his class, finally admit to themselves, and to each other, that they are insanely in love. They move in together and manage to keep it a secret (except for some gossipy birds who call Sharp-Ears a slut). Being raised as a Catholic fox, she is hurt and ashamed, but is comforted by her lover (an atheist and free thinker) who defends her. Then one morning, Golden-Stripe hears someone crying, and finds it is Sharp-Ears.

Worried, he asks her what's wrong. She is evasive and angry at first, but finally tells him - she's pregnant. And there's that look.
Scared, pregnant, and unmarried, she asks him "What are we going to do?"

Scared and still recovering from surprise himself, Golden-Stripe's answer is something like "Uh... I... Uh, well...",
but he finally composes himself and says, "... I think we should find a priest".

Ddraig
Templar Master

#38 Post by Ddraig »

Xale wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:46 am "Reed" then

A plant; while also used as a name derived from old english 'redhead'.

And you know, its basically as close to "Red" as you can get.
A convenient solution it might be, but I'm afraid 'Reed' is already taken
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

JohnTheWysard
Apprentice

#39 Post by JohnTheWysard »

I don't know if Sythe is consciously adjusting his posture... but he looks pretty ripped and handsome. Trying to make a good impression, I'm sure!

ZeroJinKui
Banned
Banned

#40 Post by ZeroJinKui »

i dunno why everyone is assuming the baby is sythe's now... all because he is shocked that someone else got her pregnant?

you guys realize one of the big things going on is trace and flora's relationship and how a human got a keidran pregnant?

i mean, it already happened once before, that's what raine is, she's a hybrid, isn't she? but was made to think she's been cursed?

atleast i think that's the situation... so hard to remember all the details.

my memory is a bit hazy, but isn't there some magic at work to prevent humans and keidrans from breeding... and trace and flora were ALLOWED to have a child for... some plan we have yet to hear about?

unless i am wrong, but i vaguely recall those details...

also, red's real name is shared with a plant?

...cannabis!
"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax

amenon
Grand Templar

#41 Post by amenon »

Warrl wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:03 pm Natani is wrapped at the moment - and I don't mean basitin ankle-wraps - so Sythe probably thinks he's the father (seeing that he's the only male keidran that arrived with her). Flora rejected Sythe, a nice upstanding minor-noble wolf, and went with some scum assassin... kind of a blow to the ego.
Ahhh, yeah, that would do it. So I'm thinking the reaction is either a) did I get her pregnant?! or b) did the assassin get her pregnant?!

Ran-san wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:06 pm Honestly, I don't think Sythe and Flora have been together in that way before. It's mention way back then that their engagement was a pre-arranged political marriage by their clan elders, and that neither cares anything for the other.
Keidrans use sex to get to know each other. I don't know if they boinked, but I think it would have been generally expected that they would. It's just what you do!
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#42 Post by AmigaDragon »

ZeroJinKui wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:10 pm i dunno why everyone is assuming the baby is sythe's now... all because he is shocked that someone else got her pregnant?

you guys realize one of the big things going on is trace and flora's relationship and how a human got a keidran pregnant?

i mean, it already happened once before, that's what raine is, she's a hybrid, isn't she? but was made to think she's been cursed?

atleast i think that's the situation... so hard to remember all the details.

my memory is a bit hazy, but isn't there some magic at work to prevent humans and keidrans from breeding... and trace and flora were ALLOWED to have a child for... some plan we have yet to hear about?

unless i am wrong, but i vaguely recall those details...
Raine isn't the same kind of hybrid as Flora's child. Euchre was human via his perfect transformation magic. Raine just inherited his magic without the full control.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Warrl
Grand Templar

#43 Post by Warrl »

It's kind of implied that human-keidran hybrids were once allowed - but they have NOT been, explicitly, for a long time. Per Ephemural/Neutral.

There is debate and discussion whether Ephemural made an exception for Trace and Flora, or changed the rules. The latter would mean that potentially Flora's baby will be the first of many hybrids. And that, in my opinion, is what has happened - which should make things rather interesting for teenage humans and teenage-equivalent keidran who've been taking advantage of their mutual infertility.

As stated, Raine is a peculiar and possibly-unique kind of hybrid. Euchre, her father, is naturally Keidran, but with a "perfect transformation" ability that allows him to pass as human in *every* way. Including ability to do magic without mana crystals. And for purposes of reproduction. So she's both a special-case hybrid and fully human. Her shapeshifting is primarily an effect of inheriting her parents' natural magical power (specifically including her father's transformation talent, but remember, her mother became Grand Templar so is no slouch of a mage herself), not of being a hybrid; her lack of control is primarily because hardly anyone even began to try to train her in using that power.

Dreamfox
Citizen

#44 Post by Dreamfox »

JohnTheWysard wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:09 amI don't know if Sythe is consciously adjusting his posture... but he looks pretty ripped and handsome. Trying to make a good impression, I'm sure!
That made me ask, how does he dress given the choice?

ZeroJinKui
Banned
Banned

#45 Post by ZeroJinKui »

AmigaDragon wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:48 pmRaine isn't the same kind of hybrid as Flora's child. Euchre was human via his perfect transformation magic. Raine just inherited his magic without the full control.
either way, people assuming that the baby is sythe's simply because of him being shocked at her being pregnant is kinda foolish.

it'd make such a huge part of the story completely pointless and render a massive plot point null and void. :redhair:
"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax