Comic for December 7, 2017: Manor Defenses

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

Re: Comic for December 7, 2017: Manor Defenses

#31 Post by AmigaDragon »

So that's what she meant.
sotanaht wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:24 amNora kind of loves Trace, loved him even before his amnesia. She can't exactly be a "good" dragon for that to have been the case. In all likelihood she seems "good" now because she's following Trace's example because she still loves him
Just because he went evil, doesn't mean she did too, or stopped loving him through that phase.
Menke wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:30 pmI think those assuming that this spell must be permenant or else more people would know about it are forgetting about the inherent limits to communication in this world, and the embarrassment factor.

The internet does not exist in this world. So any knowledge of Trace's security systems would have to be through word of mouth.

This means that it would be impossible for someone to anonymously warn people about the security.
Word could still get out if there's a 2nd row of uninvited at the door. They would see their companions vanish and abort their own entry. Nobody would know what actually happened to them, and so assume disintegrated or teleported far away

As for those transformed, I imagine Rose would somehow mark them to differentiate them from the natural animals. I don't see her as the type to knowingly eat a (formerly?) sapient being. They might still retain their human or keidran awareness even if unable to override the animal behavior (just along for the ride). Later, Nora or Trace could change them back when their punishment time is up. Being aware of all their animal time would keep them from returning.
Candycat wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:41 pmThat's an intense security system. But doesn't this mean that Rose is always all alone in that manor? I wonder who else has permission, besides Nora. I guess this also means Trace saved everyone unknowingly by inviting everyone to his place.
As seneschal, Rose might have some authority to give entry permission despite her statement to these templar about Trace giving permission. When crew 1 entered, either Trace somehow implied permission to the rest or Rose was the one allowing their entry. Other estate staff could somehow be given (semi)permanent permission to come and go as required.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Asclepius777

#32 Post by Asclepius777 »

wow these forums have changed. Just wanted to say these recent comics have been bomb. I'm really glad this comic has been advancing the way it has. I've been reading since 2011 and I haven't stopped yet. Also if there are any mods on, can I get my old forum account switched over to a new non-hotmail address? Thanks! :heart:

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#33 Post by BadFoMo »

Two things dawned on me.

1. Could that one Templar have been Baron from way back?

2. Did Reni know about the security system?

AmigaDragon wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:33 pm
Menke wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:30 pmI think those assuming that this spell must be permenant or else more people would know about it are forgetting about the inherent limits to communication in this world, and the embarrassment factor.

The internet does not exist in this world. So any knowledge of Trace's security systems would have to be through word of mouth.

This means that it would be impossible for someone to anonymously warn people about the security.
Word could still get out if there's a 2nd row of uninvited at the door. They would see their companions vanish and abort their own entry. Nobody would know what actually happened to them, and so assume disintegrated or teleported far away
That thought crossed my mind as well. That I remembered we conveniently have both a “Templar Kitty” and two mercenaries watching the place.

As for the victims keeping their minds, it would be more of a punishment/torment if they did, but it would also be a security problem. What's to stop them from escaping, somehow making it into town, going up to someone they know and etching “help me” in the dirt?

Asclepius777 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:34 pmwow these forums have changed. Just wanted to say these recent comics have been bomb. I'm really glad this comic has been advancing the way it has. I've been reading since 2011 and I haven't stopped yet. Also if there are any mods on, can I get my old forum account switched over to a new non-hotmail address? Thanks! :heart:
Have you tried PM-ing Yash about it? It worked for me when I tried to change my email and got one of the letters wrong.

P.S. Please don’t put Clovis through this! He’s too cool for that!
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

Tyger42
Apprentice

#34 Post by Tyger42 »

I absolutely love the "I was fully expecting this, but it's still stupid" casual facepalm. ;)
sotanaht wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:24 am Nora kind of loves Trace, loved him even before his amnesia. She can't exactly be a "good" dragon for that to have been the case. In all likelihood she seems "good" now because she's following Trace's example because she still loves him
To comment on this... I wonder if dragons even have the same sense of morality as humans. Maybe she is just using Trace as a model for her own behavior, not really in a position to judge "good and bad" for herself? I don't really know if we've seen enough of this world's dragons to know their psychology yet.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#35 Post by Warrl »

amenon wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:40 am Hmm. But Brahn would almost certainly know this. And also know that Trace isn't there right now. So either he didn't particularly like those guys, and is basically playing chess here by setting up to make use of this incident, or those are actually some more disguised wolves.

I think it'd be the latter. Clovis would certainly know to try and lean on Brahn's name here, but he wouldn't have any idea what to expect at the estate.
Yeah, I'm kind of doubting that Brahn actually sent these guys. Whether they are wolves, or humans.

I want to point out that Rose was in the process of explaining to the intruders that there was magic involved and they literally could not enter, when they interrupted her and tried to muscle their way in. It's not like she said "no you may not" and then walked away leaving the door open behind her...

And Rose didn't decide they were enemies, they made themselves enemies. They threatened physical harm and non-consensual removal, and attempted to enter without permission.

ZeroJinKui
Banned
Banned

#36 Post by ZeroJinKui »

amenon wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:40 am Hmm. But Brahn would almost certainly know this. And also know that Trace isn't there right now. So either he didn't particularly like those guys, and is basically playing chess here by setting up to make use of this incident, or those are actually some more disguised wolves.

I think it'd be the latter. Clovis would certainly know to try and lean on Brahn's name here, but he wouldn't have any idea what to expect at the estate.
yeah, you'd think if these guys were really brahn's men, they would know about trace's defenses and to not ignore such a warning.

then again, they are racist trash, so who knows how much of a brain they actually have.

disguised wolves sounds plausible, though.
"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#37 Post by AmigaDragon »

BadFoMo wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:09 amAs for the victims keeping their minds, it would be more of a punishment/torment if they did, but it would also be a security problem. What's to stop them from escaping, somehow making it into town, going up to someone they know and etching “help me” in the dirt?
No, I was suggesting that the chicken (pig, cow, goat, whatever) intelligence is in control and the human/keidran is just along for the ride and aware he has no control.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Combak
Citizen

#38 Post by Combak »

You know, a thought occurred to me... If Rose has to leave the manor to check the fields for the new arrivals, that would be the perfect time to ambush her. I guess we'll see if that's the case next week.

zy-fi
Citizen

#39 Post by zy-fi »

We know from Nora's previous mischief that the victim's mind isn't necessarily affected. But who knows how this particular spell works if it's different. And apparently the transformee chickens can lay eggs? If that's the case I'd imagine a much simpler spell could've been used to create a forever replenishing egg cooler. So my guess is that the only reason to transform intruders is to humiliate them, while still at least being aware. Or maybe Nora and Old Trace just got a kick out of it.
Every day I'm shoopin'

Panther
Merchant

#40 Post by Panther »

These damned templars , thinking they're the lands rulers with all peoples having to obey to them . That's why i hate religions , what ever it says :evil:
Man is a wolf for man ........ Don't insult the wolves :natani:

ClockworkPanda
Citizen

#41 Post by ClockworkPanda »

But... the Templar are a mage order, aren't they? .-.

Ddraig
Templar Master

#42 Post by Ddraig »

ZeroJinKui wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:20 am

yeah, you'd think if these guys were really brahn's men, they would know about trace's defenses and to not ignore such a warning.
Given the more-than-mild psychosis EvilTrace™ was experiencing at the time, I wouldn't put it past him to be somewhat paranoid even when it came to his fellow templars. Even if he wasn't, though, it's good practice to not talk about your defenses - simply because if an enemy knows what your defenses are, (s)he can figure out how to get around them. That you have defenses, sure, tell the world, just not what those defenses are.
ZeroJinKui wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:20 amthen again, they are racist trash, so who knows how much of a brain they actually have.
Just because someone holds detestable beliefs is no reason to underestimate them.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

Asclepius777

#43 Post by Asclepius777 »

BadFoMo wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:09 am
Asclepius777 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:34 pmwow these forums have changed. Just wanted to say these recent comics have been bomb. I'm really glad this comic has been advancing the way it has. I've been reading since 2011 and I haven't stopped yet. Also if there are any mods on, can I get my old forum account switched over to a new non-hotmail address? Thanks! :heart:
Have you tried PM-ing Yash about it? It worked for me when I tried to change my email and got one of the letters wrong.

P.S. Please don’t put Clovis through this! He’s too cool for that!
I'll try that, thanks!

Dreamfox
Citizen

#44 Post by Dreamfox »

BadFoMo wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:09 am2. Did Reni know about the security system?
Considering what Nora let slip about dragons in general, I'd say it's near impossible to get anything magical near a dragon without the dragon noticing it, even if the dragon can't exactly tell what kind of magic it is.
Reni is at least a close associate of the guard in Edinmire and someone of the guard should know of the manor's defenses. Not many, but someone.
Depending on how long Reni is living in Edinmire, she may have been there when Nora put the spells in. I doubt Nora wouldn't tell a local dragon about it.
With several possibilities and Reni directly asking for permission I'd say she knows.

MoonSticks
Master

#45 Post by MoonSticks »

I would like to see a bearded hen in the near future, that would be brilliant |D
|D :heart: MOMMY MOON :heart: |D

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

STOP FEEDING ME MARSBARS!...