Comic for November 10th, 2017

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

Re: Comic for November 10th, 2017

#31 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Panther wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:43 pm Suddenly , i have a doubt : as we can see in the last panel , there is nothing on Reni's back but her armor ; no ropes or wires .......... So , how the saddle bags are linked to her ? :?
If you go back and look at the pages where Reni is first introduced (e.g. here, or here), we can see that the bags do have straps going up from them. It's just that both straps can't continue across her back - the front one could, and that might be the solid gold band we can see at the front edge of the armor in the current comic, but for the back strap her wings would be in the way. My guess is that the back strap (and possibly the front one too) is just connected to whatever underlying harness framework the armor plates themselves are attached to, which would support the weight reasonably enough given that it seems to connect across her back both in front of her wings and again at her haunches tailward of the wings.

Rafe
Council Member

#32 Post by Rafe »

I was also working on a priority-based list, but had some other concerns. There might be more to figure on than who gets paired up with whom. Think about the real priorities of who needs to get back first:

1.) Zen - not only is he badly injured, but he's a wolf, and in danger from random wolf-hunters, guards and Clovis.

2.) & 3.) Sythe and Natani - same reason, because they're wolves in a dangerous place, plus Clovis' minions are after both of them too. Sythe also might be handy as a Human-Keidran translator.

4.) Raine - Might be a little more able to defend herself as a human, assuming she stays human.

5.) & 6.) Maren and Karen - not in quite as much danger, but need some guidance to get out.

7.) Red - He can defend himself (if he doesn't have to think too much), no need to pair him with Raine, but being something of a loose cannon, I say get him out as soon as practicable.

8.), 9.) &10.) - Flora, Trace and Keith, more or less equally competent and risk free, plus they know more about the whole situation than the group B members.

I'd also keep Trace and Reni stationed so they could defend the weaker members. Their unique abilities seem to get them some respect. Raine might become valuable in this way as well; plus if she makes it back to the estate, her presence might finally get her cousin Roselyn to stop being so suspicious.

HiseyLeSnake
Traveler

#33 Post by HiseyLeSnake »

So I think this panel has a bit of a flawed logic too it... If dragons speak through thoughts, then they would never be out of breath in a conversation.... why is Reni pausing (as if to breath) when her form of communication does not require vocal input. The only reason people pause when out of breath is because they cant vocalize their thoughts while breathing inward, as Reni doesn't use her vocal cords, this would not be a problem.

Is there something I don't know about dragons or is this just a flaw in logic? or am I just thinking way to much into this?

Candycat
Citizen

#34 Post by Candycat »

I would just like to point out that this page is exceedingly cute.

Also adorable. :heart:

Side note, with all the magical powerhouses gathered in one spot a mass teleport back to the estate wouldn't be that difficult I don't think. Well, at least once they meet up with Raine—and Red to a lesser extent.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Warrl
Grand Templar

#35 Post by Warrl »

HiseyLeSnake wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:47 am So I think this panel has a bit of a flawed logic too it... If dragons speak through thoughts, then they would never be out of breath in a conversation.... why is Reni pausing (as if to breath) when her form of communication does not require vocal input. The only reason people pause when out of breath is because they cant vocalize their thoughts while breathing inward, as Reni doesn't use her vocal cords, this would not be a problem.

Is there something I don't know about dragons or is this just a flaw in logic? or am I just thinking way to much into this?
I would say you're overthinking it. But then, what are internet forums for, if not overthinking things?

The pauses are explainable though: Reni is concentrating more on flying while overloaded. The pauses aren't strictly for breathing (although carefully controlled breathing does take some mental effort and can help with strenuous physical exertion) but for keeping sufficient attention on the primary task of staying in the air.

NuclearBird
Master

#36 Post by NuclearBird »

HiseyLeSnake wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:47 am So I think this panel has a bit of a flawed logic too it... If dragons speak through thoughts, then they would never be out of breath in a conversation.... why is Reni pausing (as if to breath) when her form of communication does not require vocal input. The only reason people pause when out of breath is because they cant vocalize their thoughts while breathing inward, as Reni doesn't use her vocal cords, this would not be a problem.

It's probably a psychological thing.
If the universe is infinite, does that mean that there is a version of me out there who's thinking the exact same thing?

While we're on the topic of alternate universes, is there one where I'm a lawyer? If yes, then I may be more evil than I thought.

Cpt.Obvious
Apprentice

#37 Post by Cpt.Obvious »

Candycat wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:27 am I would just like to point out that this page is exceedingly cute.

Also adorable. :heart:

Side note, with all the magical powerhouses gathered in one spot a mass teleport back to the estate wouldn't be that difficult I don't think. Well, at least once they meet up with Raine—and Red to a lesser extent.
Has there been any mention of teleportation other than the time Raine jumped them some ten or twenty meters or so, the gateway in Edinmire, and lastly Carver trying to escape? I think I remember something about Zen using teleportation to escape after Keith tried to make shish kebab of him, but I can't remember the details.

The first was wild magic rather than something Raine intended to do. She was as amazed as the rest when it happened.

The gateway is a fixed portal between two places. It probably took a lot of work setting it up, and some impressive magic rituals to make it permanent. I'm not even sure it's that closely related to teleport spells.

Carver did use some kind of teleportation and Raine think she managed to screw it up by pushing the power way up, hopefully sending Carver somewhere where he can't do much damage for now.

Going from wild magic teleportation or pushing a spell being activated by someone else to actually doing an intentional long distance group teleport to a place where she hasn't been, seen or even heard of before isn't going to be something she manages to do in an afternoon. Trace probably isn't much help either. I can't remember him doing any teleportation, and even if he once knew how to do it most of those memories are MIA. He does however have a lot of power, but without the spell he can't really hope to come up with a group teleport just like that.

Then there is Natani. I think it was Nat who whisked Zen away after the shish kebab incident. Question is if Nat knows how to do a group teleport, and how power efficient the TP spell is. Having to rely on crystals to power magic Nat probably tries to maximize spell efficiency, though lacking extensive formal training may be a problem. On the plus side Nat has been to the mansion, so provided the spell will work for a group, provided Raine, Trace and possibly Reni can contribute with some power then it might be possible to get the entire group to the mansion in one go. Red mostly learned how to make things go Boom, even when they shouldn't, so I don't think he has much to contribute. Lots of "if" in that...

Reni is largely an unknown. What we know is largely what we see. Dragon. Young. Telepath.
What we've seen of dragons suggests that she also has significant magical abilities, some innate, and some learned. We have not seen anything to suggest she knows any teleportation spells though. Actually I don't think we've seen her using anything that's has to be magic other than the, I almost called them saddle bags. Getting the obnoxious dragon fangirl to sleep could have been done using magic, but it could also have been a psionic ability.

It's also been mentioned that they should have set up an anchor or beacon at the mansion to make it easier to TP back. While this is more or less a staple ware in fantasy settings I can't remember them being mentioned in this comic, and even if they are used here that doesn't mean that Raine would know how to use them, that Trace would remember, or that Nat ever learned to use them. Red would just make them go Boom...

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#38 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Cpt.Obvious wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:51 pm<stuff about teleportation>
Apart from the three instances you mentioned (Raine, Carver, and the riftwall), there have been several other examples of teleportation in the comic.

First, during one of the early chapters, Trace teleports himself and Flora a short distance in their camp. I don't think the idea of Trace teleporting anyone has been brought up since then, but he evidently does know how to do it. It's also worth noting that he didn't seem to need a waypoint (see below) to do it.

Second, yes, Zen did get teleported away after Keith stabbed him. Given the lack of a tail pointing towards Zen on the speech bubble (and the fact that we've never seen Zen himself actually doing magic), it was likely Natani who teleported him. Given that Natani does seem to need waypoints for teleporting (again, see below), he presumably must have set up an escape waypoint in advance, which seems like a reasonable precaution for an assassin to take.

Finally, Natani teleported the group out of the burning inn on the basitin isles. Notably, he was able to teleport all six of them (and it only used up one mana crystal), though he did note that he hadn't ever tried to teleport that many people before. This is also where the concept of waypoints as destinations for teleportation spells is introduced; Natani, being the properly paranoid assassin, set one on the ship before they debarked.

So yeah, the party does include people who may be capable of teleporting some or all of the group back to the mansion, particularly Natani given that he's the one we've seen doing long-distance teleportation of multiple people to specific pre-selected locations. However, it is, of course, an open question whether he'd be able to do that many people or whether he thought to set a waypoint before leaving.

Cpt.Obvious
Apprentice

#39 Post by Cpt.Obvious »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:12 pm
Cpt.Obvious wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:51 pm<stuff about teleportation>
Apart from the three instances you mentioned (Raine, Carver, and the riftwall), there have been several other examples of teleportation in the comic.

First, during one of the early chapters, Trace teleports himself and Flora a short distance in their camp. I don't think the idea of Trace teleporting anyone has been brought up since then, but he evidently does know how to do it. It's also worth noting that he didn't seem to need a waypoint (see below) to do it.

Second, yes, Zen did get teleported away after Keith stabbed him. Given the lack of a tail pointing towards Zen on the speech bubble (and the fact that we've never seen Zen himself actually doing magic), it was likely Natani who teleported him. Given that Natani does seem to need waypoints for teleporting (again, see below), he presumably must have set up an escape waypoint in advance, which seems like a reasonable precaution for an assassin to take.

Finally, Natani teleported the group out of the burning inn on the basitin isles. Notably, he was able to teleport all six of them (and it only used up one mana crystal), though he did note that he hadn't ever tried to teleport that many people before. This is also where the concept of waypoints as destinations for teleportation spells is introduced; Natani, being the properly paranoid assassin, set one on the ship before they debarked.

So yeah, the party does include people who may be capable of teleporting some or all of the group back to the mansion, particularly Natani given that he's the one we've seen doing long-distance teleportation of multiple people to specific pre-selected locations. However, it is, of course, an open question whether he'd be able to do that many people or whether he thought to set a waypoint before leaving.
Thank you for the links. Had forgot about those...
As for the distance I think it wasn't that far between the in and the ship. A couple of miles or so seems likely. This time Natani estimated the distance to be a few days of travel, that's a lot longer. Don't know what the chances are Nat thought it would be worth the effort to create a waypoint. If it's "cheap" and doesn't take upkeep then I guess Nat regularly creates a waypoint at any location that seems like a good bug out spot, or if there are a lot of valuables easily available. But if it takes a lot of effort, costs mana, or it's only possible to maintain a few at a time then the odds for there being one in the mansion goes down. Though going out on a mission to save Zen probably increases the odds dramatically.

amenon
Grand Templar

#40 Post by amenon »

Cpt.Obvious wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:51 pm Reni is largely an unknown. What we know is largely what we see. Dragon. Young. Telepath.
What we've seen of dragons suggests that she also has significant magical abilities, some innate, and some learned. We have not seen anything to suggest she knows any teleportation spells though.
Reni teleporting.
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#41 Post by SpottedKitty »

amenon wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:03 pm Reni teleporting.
Which brings up the same question; how far can she go in one hop, with or without passengers? If the answer is "a lot further", that would be an easy way for her to shuttle everyone back to the mansion without too much delay.

And I've just remembered something else; Natani knows how many there were in group B to begin with, but does he know they're all (plus one squirrel) still there? Maybe Natani and Reni can share the job of teleporting everyone back?
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

Warrl
Grand Templar

#42 Post by Warrl »

Cpt.Obvious wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:51 pm Has there been any mention of teleportation other than the time Raine jumped them some ten or twenty meters or so, the gateway in Edinmire, and lastly Carver trying to escape? I think I remember something about Zen using teleportation to escape after Keith tried to make shish kebab of him, but I can't remember the details.
Natani used a waypoint to teleport the group on Basitin Island. Obviously, though, that was set up in advance.

Two of the three "Templar" attacking Edinmire teleported out. We don't know the details of that; it could have been using a preset waypoint (would make sense, as that spell is apparently easy enough that Natani could set it up and do it) but we don't know for certain whether or not it was.

Reni teleported herself to help break up said attack.

Now, Natani *could have* set a waypoint in the manor before flying off in Reni's sack. It would make sense. They don't know exactly where they are going, but they do know exactly where they need to get back to. Back on the island, Nat teleported himself, Flora, Eric, Laura, Keith, and Katherine - six people. They have nine to transport (not counting Reni), so it may not be a big issue. Fortunately, Nat is NOT one of the lightest ones - if they want a light load for Reni then Flora, Karen, and probably Raine or Keith are the prime candidates (along with Mrs. N of course). This is of course assuming that Nat's teleport doesn't care about weight within normal human/keidran/basitin adult range.

Candycat
Citizen

#43 Post by Candycat »

SpottedKitty wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:13 pm
amenon wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:03 pm Reni teleporting.
Which brings up the same question; how far can she go in one hop, with or without passengers? If the answer is "a lot further", that would be an easy way for her to shuttle everyone back to the mansion without too much delay.

And I've just remembered something else; Natani knows how many there were in group B to begin with, but does he know they're all (plus one squirrel) still there? Maybe Natani and Reni can share the job of teleporting everyone back?
And Reni wouldn't need to teleport them all by herself with her own magic—as evidenced by Raine, the magic of others can be used to power, in this case, a teleportation spell. If Natani can do a mass teleport a good distance with just one crystal, I'm sure a dragon could manage the same with some help. Plus the magic spa pool is there. So there is that.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Qwe304
Citizen

#44 Post by Qwe304 »

next pages:
Spoiler!
Reality is a cool place but I wouldn't want to live there -anonymous