Comic for October 26, 2017: Link Reestablished

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Rafe
Council Member

Re: Comic for October 26, 2017: Link Reestablished

#16 Post by Rafe »

I'd mentioned that the trees in the background of the last panel might be what Zen is (or was) seeing as he was losing consciousness. Something else in the flood of impressions Natani received makes me think Zen is still at least partially aware: The last couple of things he heard were Karen saying "It's bad", and "What do we do?"

In other words, even in the state he's in, Zen is still somehow aware, and is able to maintain some contact through the link. Natani and Reni can possibly continue to communicate with him, or at least check his memories further. Maybe we'll see another mindscape as MuonNeutrino suggested.

ZeroJinKui
Banned
Banned

#17 Post by ZeroJinKui »

well, it's good that natani is remaining herself, i hope we get a nice reunion scene between the two groups. |D

also really curious to see how zen handles the relationship between keith and natani, and his interactions with keith.

i love this comic so much... it's my absolute favorite. :heart:
"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax

Ddraig
Templar Master

#18 Post by Ddraig »

Hayate wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:33 am Now they all climb aboard Reni to go on a rescue mission to save Zen! Reni might not be that big tho... Either way, it seems like the groups might actually be coming together soon! They are pretty close now, and can communicate. I guess it just depends on how long Zen is out for... Hmm, I guess the wolves/Clovis or maybe even the Templar could still interfere too...
Don't worry, she's got life-friendly messenger bags of holding (see transport of the Evil Terrorist Wolf that Reed keeps petting)
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

Him
The Secret Forum Mod
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#19 Post by Him »

IHeartMaeve wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:08 pmActually, Him, if you count Keith stabbing Zen in the chest during the fight in Chapter 7 (Page 221), they have interacted in person before.

Just to be clear on that.
I know, what I really meant was closer to talking face to face, spending time around each other.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#20 Post by Warrl »

ZeroJinKui wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:21 amalso really curious to see how zen handles the relationship between keith and natani
We've seen that. He's a typical approving-but-wary big brother with a touch of homosexual interest (that may be, and I'm sure he'd say it is, leakage through the link from Natani).

Let's see if I can find it... yep.

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#21 Post by SpottedKitty »

Warrl wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:29 pm We've seen that. He's a typical approving-but-wary big brother with a touch of homosexual interest (that may be, and I'm sure he'd say it is, leakage through the link from Natani).

Let's see if I can find it... yep.
Heh, that's the scene I was thinking of as well. We've all speculated and partly seen how much of an influence Zen's had over Natani due to the link, that was a perfect example of Natani influencing Zen.

It was hilarious as well, but that's just the cherry on top. :twisted: :roll: :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

BadJoke
Templar GrandMaster

#22 Post by BadJoke »

Weird, is Tom showing mercy towards Keith? That's not normal. :P

I knew the 1000th page wouldn't be the two groups joining. We need at least two pages to have a bit of context.

Now everyone is all excited about the teams joining but there's a little problem: if the thing Karen was afraid of back then was indeed Reni... what guarantee do we have than group B will understand she's not a menace? Dragons are known for being dirty mercenaries and they fearing the allies of fox-guy may be coming... It's possible they think she's a threat and run/hide away from her, wasting completely their chance of joining sooner. The only link they have to group A is unconscious, and even if Reny is accompanied they don't know all members of group A. (Just a little theory of how Tom could troll us. :mrgreen: )
Criminals are less dangerous than virtuous people: they kill less.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#23 Post by Warrl »

Let's see...

Natani: I'm pretty sure the only one in Group B who would recognize him is Zen, who is probably unconscious.
Keith: Sythe may recognize him (from possibly having seen him early on in the comic) as the basitin who was traveling with Trace and Flora. Zen, if conscious, would recognize him from an occasion when he borrowed Natani through the link.
Trace: Maren, Karen, and possibly Sythe would recognize him.
Flora: Sythe, Zen if conscious, and possibly Maren and Karen would recognize her.

Those are the only ones that Group A would be likely to think that Group B would know.

In the other direction:
Natani: has seen (via the link) all of Group B, although maybe not keidran- or half-keidran-Raine. Knows Zen, obviously.
Trace: knows Maren and Karen, probably Red, possibly human-Raine. Might (kind of a long shot) recognize Zen from combat.
Keith: may recognize Zen, Maren, Karen, and possibly Sythe. Might recognize Zen from combat.
Flora: knows Sythe, may recognize Maren and Karen.

The logical one to send with Reni, on the basis of recognition, would be Trace.

On the other hand, Natani knows that Zen is injured. I don't think Trace has shown any sign of medical knowledge, even first aid. The members of the group whom I would strongly expect to have at least some training in field medicine are Natani (very ad-hoc), Keith, and Madelyn. Madelyn is the lightest, if that matters - the expectation would be that Reni will probably carry Zen back, and we don't know how much more she can carry.

Maddie (or anyone else) could be equipped with names of most of Group B, and maps to guide everyone Reni doesn't carry back.

And I still think there were three dragons in that one frame. One of them is presumably Reni. The other two may be coming to help, be coming to hinder, or off on their own business and not involved. Three dragons probably could carry the entirety of Group B.

GaySailors
Merchant
Fav. Twokinds Character: Alaric :D

#24 Post by GaySailors »

Warrl wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:36 pm Keith: Sythe may recognize him (from possibly having seen him early on in the comic) as the basitin who was traveling with Trace and Flora. Zen, if conscious, would recognize him from an occasion when he borrowed Natani through the link.
I'm fairly certain Zen would recognize him for a... different reason.

He definitively knows who Keith is from the multiple times he's seen him, plus, I don't think he's going to be forgetting the fact that Natani kissed him anytime soon.

jacobc62
Grand Templar

#25 Post by jacobc62 »

To add: Trace also knows most of Group B, and has met Zen via the fight he had with the Brothers.
"That poor, sexy [censored]...." -Evals Vaughan, October 2016

Kyrit
Templar

#26 Post by Kyrit »

The actual smart choice would be for Natani to create a qaypoint (assuming Trace's estate would have mana crystals to take) like she did with the ship on the Isles and have Reni take her and at the minimum a translator. Then they could all fast travel back to the estate, where Zen could be better cared for.

We'll see if Natani stops to think of that or gets too tied up on "I gotta get there NOW"

Rafe
Council Member

#27 Post by Rafe »

One possible problem:
Natani, Mike and Evals are officially under arrest and are supposed to be held at the Legacy Estate. Whether the Edinmire authorities will cause any problems for them if they leave for Group B remains to be seen.

Something else that they're really going to need on this mission is someone with local knowledge - about where things like the 'magic spring' are, for instance. Trace doesn't seem to remember much; Roselyn is a wolf and it might not be a good idea for her to be out right now (plus, you wonder whether she might not be able to leave the Estate for some mysterious reason); Reni is from the capital and probably doesn't have much knowledge of the Edinmire area. The rest of Group A are all outsiders, except for Flora, who might have some experience, but probably didn't get around too much as a slave.

I'm also wondering what's happening with Landen and Sealeen. Last we saw they were lurking outside the Estate. Hard to tell if they would be helpful in any way or if they're going to remain enemies of Group A in a comic-relief way. Maybe Reni's telepathic abilities could get some information from them, or maybe from some other local. It might be necessary since everyone is being pretty suspicious of outsiders at the moment.

Ddraig
Templar Master

#28 Post by Ddraig »

Rafe wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:54 pm I'm also wondering what's happening with Landen and Sealeen. Last we saw they were lurking outside the Estate. Hard to tell if they would be helpful in any way or if they're going to remain enemies of Group A in a comic-relief way. Maybe Reni's telepathic abilities could get some information from them, or maybe from some other local. It might be necessary since everyone is being pretty suspicious of outsiders at the moment.
I'm picturing Landen and Sealeen seeing Reni fly off and deciding to raid the manor (for Seraphina/information/ALL THE COFFEE SHE COULD WANT/etc) and having to deal with Rose, so we can find out exactly what she (Rose) meant when she said that she couldn't be taken from the manor.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

Warrl
Grand Templar

#29 Post by Warrl »

For local knowledge they have Reni - who probably already knows where that magic pool is - and maps.

I doubt that Natani could establish a waypoint without Group B and then activate it with Group B.

Natani traveling with Reni shouldn't be an issue - there was no fuss over the dragon arresting Seraphina. However, if a weight limitation would mean leaving another wolf with Group B, that could be a problem. And Natani is one of the less-good choices for whom to have accompany Reni. Even Mike or Evals would be better, because there would be no risk of recognition triggering greater distrust. (Trace, Flora, and Keith are the better options - the first two would be recognized and that would be helpful, the third might be recognized and probably has field-medicine training. Also none of them are even canid, let alone wolves.)

Kyrit
Templar

#30 Post by Kyrit »

Warrl wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:30 am I doubt that Natani could establish a waypoint without Group B and then activate it with Group B.
Natani was able to teleport Laura via the waypoint, so I don't see why she couldn't teleport group B? That was a total of 5 people + Natani. Group B does have one more person than that (plus a squirrel), but there wasn't an indication of not being able to transport more (though on the previous page she did indicate she'd never teleported that many people before and need to concentrate). She brought along anyone that was in the room at the time. I'd say so long as she's got the mana for it, it's based on teleporting an area of people, not teleporting whoever was around when the waypoint was set.