Roselyn....a ghost?

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

stlsf4003
Apprentice

Roselyn....a ghost?

#1 Post by stlsf4003 »

I can't be the only one thinking that since she was reintroduced, am I?

There's just something off about her that I just can't quite put my finger on.
the lurking furry railroader

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

Re: Roselyn....a ghost?

#2 Post by Schrodinger »

Or she's just as uncommonly long-lived as her cousin. Just a thought.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#3 Post by Dadrobit »

Yes, this theory was brought up a few times. Even on the very first page of her reappearance.

The "consensus" is that no one has strong evidence of exactly what is up with her one way or another. She might be a ghost, (very unlikely, but not impossible). She might be somehow magically enhanced to live longer by Trace and or her cousin Euchre (possible). Or she may just be rather long lived, (just as likely as the last).

Him
The Secret Forum Mod
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#4 Post by Him »

I personally was suspecting Rose is bound to the Legacy estate. Like I a kind of localized and unwilling immortality.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#5 Post by AmigaDragon »

When first introduced, I was under the impression that she was (at least a little) younger than Euchre, so not surprised to see her still alive (albeit obviously aged now).
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Panther
Merchant

#6 Post by Panther »

It's said somewhere in the comic that keidrans lives 40 years (if i remember exactly) ; but when Roselyn is caught by the grand templar of the moment (and wife of Euchre) , she seems to be still young . So , it's very possible she's "only" 30 years old when the group comes to Trace's mansion ?

The main question is why Trace hadn't killed her when he was gone mad after his wife been murdered ?
Man is a wolf for man ........ Don't insult the wolves :natani:

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#7 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Panther wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:11 pm It's said somewhere in the comic that keidrans lives 40 years (if i remember exactly) ; but when Roselyn is caught by the grand templar of the moment (and wife of Euchre) , she seems to be still young . So , it's very possible she's "only" 30 years old when the group comes to Trace's mansion ?
The current in-comic canon statements about keidran lifespan can be found in this strip and the next one, where Eric states that "keidran only live to be about 20 years old" and "some keidran can make it to late 20s if they're lucky", so 40 years is too long.

Regarding Rose's age specifically, she does look fairly young in the flashback where she first appears, yes. Apparently Tom did once state her current age as 26 in a stream chat, which would have made her 7 at the time given that it happened ~19 years ago (Raine is 18, and that happened about a year before her birth) - that seems a bit odd with the more recent information he's given about keidran aging, which would suggest she couldn't have been younger than 8, but who knows?

Darekun
Traveler

#8 Post by Darekun »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:36 pmthat seems a bit odd with the more recent information he's given about keidran aging, which would suggest she couldn't have been younger than 8, but who knows?
Hunh. If I were to pick a Maeve image to be the same age Rose was in the flashback, it'd be Maeve at 7. Impetuous teenager plan, and all that. But it's not like I'm the best at guessing ages…

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#9 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Darekun wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:29 pm
MuonNeutrino wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:36 pmthat seems a bit odd with the more recent information he's given about keidran aging, which would suggest she couldn't have been younger than 8, but who knows?
Hunh. If I were to pick a Maeve image to be the same age Rose was in the flashback, it'd be Maeve at 7. Impetuous teenager plan, and all that. But it's not like I'm the best at guessing ages…
Well, in terms of attitude, yeah Rose does come across kinda like that in the flashback - an impulsive teenager. *Physically*, though, Rose looks older than the '7 year old' point in the Maeve chart to me. That doesn't mean she can't still be a teenager, though - just an older one. My own headcanon is that the '8 year old' point for a keidran is equivalent to an 18 year old human, and that's roughly what I would have put flashback-Rose as.

I suppose it's possible that Rose was 'almost 8' in the flashback and is now 'almost 27' at current comic time. Given wolf keidran biology they ought to all be born at two times of year, and with how quickly keidran pregnancies seem to go (guessing based on Flora's progression) one might guess that wolf keidran conceived during the 'end of summer/early fall' estrus period might be born during the winter. In that case, given that the flashback took place in the fall Rose might have been 7 3/4 there and would be 26 3/4 now. 7 3/4 is close enough to 8 to be plausible to me.

Panther
Merchant

#10 Post by Panther »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:37 pmI suppose it's possible that Rose was 'almost 8' in the flashback and is now 'almost 27' at current comic time. Given wolf keidran biology they ought to all be born at two times of year, and with how quickly keidran pregnancies seem to go (guessing based on Flora's progression) one might guess that wolf keidran conceived during the 'end of summer/early fall' estrus period might be born during the winter. In that case, given that the flashback took place in the fall Rose might have been 7 3/4 there and would be 26 3/4 now. 7 3/4 is close enough to 8 to be plausible to me.

But Maeve is a feline and Rose a canine ; it should be a difference to growing time between these two species of keidrans ?
Man is a wolf for man ........ Don't insult the wolves :natani:

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#11 Post by AmigaDragon »

Different species may show different signs of age just as individuals will show different signs of age (I know people younger than me (55) that look older than Dad (81)).
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Ddraig
Templar Master

#12 Post by Ddraig »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:36 pm
Panther wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:11 pm It's said somewhere in the comic that keidrans lives 40 years (if i remember exactly) ; but when Roselyn is caught by the grand templar of the moment (and wife of Euchre) , she seems to be still young . So , it's very possible she's "only" 30 years old when the group comes to Trace's mansion ?
The current in-comic canon statements about keidran lifespan can be found in this strip and the next one, where Eric states that "keidran only live to be about 20 years old" and "some keidran can make it to late 20s if they're lucky", so 40 years is too long.

Regarding Rose's age specifically, she does look fairly young in the flashback where she first appears, yes. Apparently Tom did once state her current age as 26 in a stream chat, which would have made her 7 at the time given that it happened ~19 years ago (Raine is 18, and that happened about a year before her birth) - that seems a bit odd with the more recent information he's given about keidran aging, which would suggest she couldn't have been younger than 8, but who knows?
Given the events that happened in that flashback, I'd guess Raine was born less than 9 months later, probably in the 5-8 months later range. I don't see the, err... prerequisite activities occurring after that flashback.
As for Rose's apparent age in the flashback, people do age differently. There were some in my school that looked a good 3-5 years older than they were at 12 years old.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#13 Post by aitaituo »

AmigaDragon wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:38 pm Different species may show different signs of age just as individuals will show different signs of age (I know people younger than me (55) that look older than Dad (81)).
Individual variation within a species, between subspecies, and across species don't have much correlation. Dog breeds vary in aging/lifespan primarily by size rather than specific breeds. Subspecies are all of the place. Individuals fall with standards of deviation.

If keidran tribes are analogous to dog breeds or human races, then there should be no significant variations in lifespan.

Adolescents looking older is typically just from different ages of onset of puberty, which ranges from 8 to 16 and most commonly 11-13.

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#14 Post by Hulk10 »

I personally am inclined to think of them as difference subspecies due to Kat's infertility.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

ToastWithJam
New Citizen

#15 Post by ToastWithJam »

Hulk10 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:36 am I personally am inclined to think of them as difference subspecies due to Kat's infertility.

Dude, you've gotta stop necroing threads. Pay more attention to the time of last post.