The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Panther
Merchant

Re: Comic for October 17th, 2017

#31 Post by Panther »

Ketzal wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:35 am
Panther wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:23 am
Ketzal wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:06 amAlso, since when is judging people on their behavior a bad thing? Given that Zen tried to kidnap/kill members of the group, I think that would warrant judging him for it from their perspective.
Red is judging Zen only on the fact he attacked them (fifth panel) , and "forgetting" he has saved them now ..... We have to judge someone on his full acts , not only the bad ones
right, my bad, it's totally unfair to judge someone based on their attempts to kill your friends.

Red's hardheaded, but he's not necessarily in the wrong here for distrusting an assassin sent after them.
Zen has been sent mainly to kill Sythe but he hadn't killed someone during their first meeting , just made Maren and Karen sleep . Remember when they have met Sythe : he had killed a villager right to their eyes ; meanwhile Red and him have just got some clashes between , at the beginning .
Man is a wolf for man ........ Don't insult the wolves :natani:

Cpt.Obvious
Apprentice

#32 Post by Cpt.Obvious »

AmigaDragon wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:06 am If the apparent approaching dragon is Reni, I'm not sure how she could have much idea where to look. In the instant the shackle burned up, Zen may have had a moment of consciousness before he passed out but as the magic suppression dropped, leaving the link open again, he was in too much shock to be sending any message to Natani before he passed out. She may have had just a brief instant of pain message before passing out. I don't recall any instances throughout the comic where one or the other sibling was able to send or receive a message when unconscious.

Even if he could get a message out, how much idea did he have of where they are with respect to Edinmire? Also they haven't shown any ability yet with the link to determine direction and/or distance between them. Even if they can't, could a dragon trace an unconscious link to get a bearing?
As mentioned by someone above, even if Zen didn't have much time to tell Natani much about where they are they are able look through each others memories. Given that recent memories include a magical spring with rocks floating in the air I think it's very likely that Reni, Rose or that guard from Edinmire will have a good idea of where to find them.

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

#33 Post by Ketzal »

Panther wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:26 pm Zen has been sent mainly to kill Sythe but he hadn't killed someone during their first meeting , just made Maren and Karen sleep . Remember when they have met Sythe : he had killed a villager right to their eyes ; meanwhile Red and him have just got some clashes between , at the beginning.
I mean, Red still doesn't completely trust Sythe from what I've seen. they've worked together to capture zen, but that doesn't mean they're friends.

I just don't see where you're coming from with this man. you're basically saying that Red can't judge someone for their behavior, despite the fact that you're judging him for his behavior

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#34 Post by tony1695 »

Everyone seems to be assuming that the dragon, if that is indeed what the "bigger problem" is, is Reni. But wasn't there the Ardakist in Edinmire? Who's to say the dragon that specific branch of the cult sprang up around isn't in the area too? Isn't Reni referred to as "princess" a lot? Could this be the king or queen?
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#35 Post by BadFoMo »

tony1695 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:51 pmEveryone seems to be assuming that the dragon, if that is indeed what the "bigger problem" is, is Reni. But wasn't there the Ardakist in Edinmire? Who's to say the dragon that specific branch of the cult sprang up around isn't in the area too? Isn't Reni referred to as "princess" a lot? Could this be the king or queen?
I was going to suggest it could be the Dragon that Carver teamed up with in order to find Group B.

In all seriousness, I think the idea that it's Reni, and possibly Natani (to do the hot/cold thing), and Trace (as he's the best magic user of the group and they possibly need him) is most logical.

P.S. I know this is completely off-topic, but if Natani is coming with them, does anyone think she might get a little airsick?
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

meinf

#36 Post by meinf »

Panel 8:
It's a Bird... It's a Plane... It's...Reni (Plot twist: Lady Nora)

BadJoke
Templar GrandMaster

#37 Post by BadJoke »

Damn, it been a long time since Tom had shown anything bloody in his comic. Makes it feel even harder. Especially if you start thinking about the posibility of infection, gangrene, amputation... Ouch.
Schrodinger wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:42 am So Zen has gone into shock and from the looks of it has third degree burns on his ankle. This may seem callous to say but...

GOOD! This is narrative tension, the heroes can't just walk into and walk out of every encounter completely unaffected. Actions having lasting consequences is the cornerstone of character development and that is what makes a story interesting. Zen has shrugged off being run through with a sword but he had immediate medical attention from magical healers, not so fortunate this time.
Yes. YES. This is a story. It's supposed to have a plot, not an endless following of panels showing characters going on a little spring travel along a happy country. And Squirrel Jesus... jeez... can I at least hope it will make some sense one day?

And about Reni coming just right now to save the day... that would be ridiculous.
1) For the distances. A bit of consistency please.
2) For the tension. It's already hard to have some in this comic those days, I don't want it gone so fast.
3) For the pace of the comic. Makes a lot of action in very little time, and it kinda feels weird.
4) For credibility. Because bending the scenario of the comic to fit on a date/number of pages (even if important and good to reach) sounds like the kind of idea who seems good at first but ends up poorly executed and felling overdo. Just make a nice filler comic. Or a big anniversary image... anything but keep the story rolling on her own pace. Please.
Criminals are less dangerous than virtuous people: they kill less.

ZeroJinKui
Banned
Banned

#38 Post by ZeroJinKui »

wow, red is a completely worthless sack of garbage. :x

i say we stick that brace on him and heat it up to the point of melting, see how he likes it. :evil:

i hope nibs is just injured and not dead... come on, someone check on her! (;_;)
"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax

Ddraig
Templar Master

#39 Post by Ddraig »

ZeroJinKui wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:22 am wow, red is a completely worthless sack of garbage. :x

i say we stick that brace on him and heat it up to the point of melting, see how he likes it. :evil:

i hope nibs is just injured and not dead... come on, someone check on her! (;_;)
You, uh... may have missed an update
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#40 Post by aitaituo »

AmigaDragon wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:55 am
Schrodinger wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:42 am The two can go through each other's memories. Even unconscious, Natani could have picked up where Zen was by the signposts and distance from Edinmire. Would be a bittersweet reunion for the pair.
What signposts? I thought they were staying off the roads to avoid trouble from both humans and keidrans (mixed group).
But they still ended up at a major landmark which is a perfect rest stop for travelers. Natani would have had a decent idea of the direction they were headed and they make for a fairly conspicuous group. Reni wouldn't have needed to know whether they were staying off roads to check the first major rest stop west of Edinmire to stumble on them here. They don't need any especially plot convenient magic to make it a lot easier either. A detect life or similar spell would identify travelers from a decent distance in the air, reduced to the number of groups of their approximate size and throw in a detect magic spell to notice a magic suppressor and Reni's not exactly looking for a needle in a haystack here.

Plus the giant magic bubble might have drawn Reni's attention regardless of why she was flying around.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#41 Post by Warrl »

Schrodinger wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:42 amEven unconscious, Natani could have picked up where Zen was by the signposts and distance from Edinmire.
It would be tough to get a precise location that way, unless they happen to be near an intersection with a signpost, or by a mile marker, both of which would be on roads... which Group B has been avoiding.

On the other hand: Natani says "he's by a... magic pool? With floating rocks?" and Reni says "Oh, there's only one of those anywhere near here and I know exactly where it is. Let's go."

Panther
Merchant

#42 Post by Panther »

Ketzal wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:31 pmI just don't see where you're coming from with this man. you're basically saying that Red can't judge someone for their behavior, despite the fact that you're judging him for his behavior
I don't say it . Red can judge Zen , but on all his behaviour/acts since they travels together and not only as an assassin (just a part of his acts and life) . So , he's "neglecting" the recent fact of Zen saving their lives ............. Practically saying to Raine to let him with his burned leg
Man is a wolf for man ........ Don't insult the wolves :natani:

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#43 Post by Schrodinger »

Warrl wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:55 am
Schrodinger wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:42 amEven unconscious, Natani could have picked up where Zen was by the signposts and distance from Edinmire.
It would be tough to get a precise location that way, unless they happen to be near an intersection with a signpost, or by a mile marker, both of which would be on roads... which Group B has been avoiding.

On the other hand: Natani says "he's by a... magic pool? With floating rocks?" and Reni says "Oh, there's only one of those anywhere near here and I know exactly where it is. Let's go."
Group B does have a map but Zen never got a look at it. He would know the direction they were heading and the magic pool is a pretty distinct landmark which a local like Reni would know about. That would narrow the search area significantly.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#44 Post by AmigaDragon »

Schrodinger wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:49 am
Warrl wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:55 am

Group B does have a map but Zen never got a look at it. He would know the direction they were heading and the magic pool is a pretty distinct landmark which a local like Reni would know about. That would narrow the search area significantly.
It was Zen's map, so he had chances before capture to look at it but likely not since then.
That also reminds me, I looked back at the first chapter the other day and was wondering something. You have a map, but you're in the woods and, you have amnesia. How does the map tell you where you are? Is it a magical map with a pointer saying "you are here"? This has nothing to do with Group B, as they have had multiple landmarks to go by in their travels. I'm just asking about Trace back then, a blank slate starting with a map and no landmark.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Ainoko1965
Traveler

#45 Post by Ainoko1965 »

AmigaDragon wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:06 am If the apparent approaching dragon is Reni, I'm not sure how she could have much idea where to look. In the instant the shackle burned up, Zen may have had a moment of consciousness before he passed out but as the magic suppression dropped, leaving the link open again, he was in too much shock to be sending any message to Natani before he passed out. She may have had just a brief instant of pain message before passing out. I don't recall any instances throughout the comic where one or the other sibling was able to send or receive a message when unconscious.

Even if he could get a message out, how much idea did he have of where they are with respect to Edinmire? Also they haven't shown any ability yet with the link to determine direction and/or distance between them. Even if they can't, could a dragon trace an unconscious link to get a bearing?
You forgot that dragons are capable aerial hunters and have excellent vision. Reni most likely spotted them early on and is heading their way.