Comic for October 17th, 2017

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

jacobc62
Grand Templar

Re: Comic for October 17th, 2017

#16 Post by jacobc62 »

SomeBody wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:21 am Weren't they supposed to be on the boat for ages? Heck of a detour on group A's part.
Group A took roughly 4 weeks to sail from Wreathwood Harbor to the port near Holhen Hold on the Basitin Isle.The reason for this length of time was due to them sailing relatively close to the coastline of the mainland instead of sailing directly to Keith's home. Once they arrived, they spent 3 or 4 days completing the storyline there. Once they set sail back out towards Edinmire, it appears they sailed directly to the city instead of keeping close to the coast like they did on the way to the Basitin Isle. This trip, presumably, took 2-3 weeks based off of the distance they looked to have traveled compared to the distance traveled from Wreathwood. It's now been roughly a full day since they docked at Edinmire's port.

During Group A's first 4 weeks, Group B was merely settled at Pinewood. However, on the same day as Keith's trial, Pinewood is attacked by wolves, causing Group B to then go on the run from the Templar. Based on the time it took for 3 people to travel the distance from Pinewood to Wreathwood, even without detours, we can only assume it would take a similar amount of time for 6 people to move a slightly shorter distance, especially with having a couple more days of delay as two of those people were unconscious.

The time it took Eric's ship to cover the distance between the Basitin Isle and Edinmire is roughly the same amount of time it took Trace, Flora, and Keith to travel the distance that it was shown they covered on the world map in the above link Combak posted within first few chapters of Twokinds. In this same time frame, Group B traveled roughly a similar distance (if not longer due to not taking well-traveled roads and paths a majority of the time) as Trace, Flora, and Keith did in a similar time frame. The reason they have yet to reach Edinmire (based on their rate of speed) was due to Zen's attack (and aftermath), and their increased party size, which is double of the original Group A. Now, as for why Reni can be seen in the distance? I suspect that once the shackle finally broke, Natani was zapped back into Zen's subconscious for a brief second and saw that Zen (along with the rest of Group B) was in trouble. After a quick translation of "Oy! My bro is melting his leg off! We have to rescue him! Oh, and Trace's old friends too, I guess...", at the very least Reni went out to where Group B is and will be there within the next couple of pages due to her flight speed due to being a dragon.

tl;dr: The time frame and the location of where Group B is compared to Edinmire checks out. Natani knows Zen is in trouble, and Reni is off to rescue them.
"That poor, sexy [censored]...." -Evals Vaughan, October 2016

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#17 Post by aitaituo »

SomeBody wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:15 pm Mmmm BBQ. Maybe Tom is trying to satiate the forum bloodlust? The cute one lives, the assassin dies.

But, let's be fair here. He was, not so long ago (his time, anyway) run through with a great bloody sword and is now just fine.
He was able to teleport straight to medical care last time, though. My money is also on Zen getting medidrakked by Reni, though. Zen is a potential source of information on Clovis, so it wouldn't be hard for Natani to convince Reni to fetch him.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#18 Post by AmigaDragon »

If the apparent approaching dragon is Reni, I'm not sure how she could have much idea where to look. In the instant the shackle burned up, Zen may have had a moment of consciousness before he passed out but as the magic suppression dropped, leaving the link open again, he was in too much shock to be sending any message to Natani before he passed out. She may have had just a brief instant of pain message before passing out. I don't recall any instances throughout the comic where one or the other sibling was able to send or receive a message when unconscious.

Even if he could get a message out, how much idea did he have of where they are with respect to Edinmire? Also they haven't shown any ability yet with the link to determine direction and/or distance between them. Even if they can't, could a dragon trace an unconscious link to get a bearing?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#19 Post by Dadrobit »

Alright, so some predictions for the upcoming page(s). :mrgrin:

Yes, that is Reni in the background. With the shackle removed and the link restored, Zen was able to communicate their position either just before he passed out, or in his subconscious, Natani was able to somehow pinpoint him. (Perhaps Natani (and the group?) is riding Reni, playing a game of hot and cold on her back to locate him? :mrgrin: )

As for distance covered, as it was said before by SomeBody, all things move at the speed of plot.

When the bandage is removed from Zen's ankle at the conjoining of group A and B on page 999-1000, it will be almost, if not completely healed. All that will remain from it in the long run is a scar and maybe a limp. This, combined with the miraculous recovery of Nibbly will enable at least the beginning of the revelation to Raine et al. of just how powerful she really is.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#20 Post by Schrodinger »

So Zen has gone into shock and from the looks of it has third degree burns on his ankle. This may seem callous to say but...

GOOD! This is narrative tension, the heroes can't just walk into and walk out of every encounter completely unaffected. Actions having lasting consequences is the cornerstone of character development and that is what makes a story interesting. Zen has shrugged off being run through with a sword but he had immediate medical attention from magical healers, not so fortunate this time.

AmigaDragon wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:06 am If the apparent approaching dragon is Reni, I'm not sure how she could have much idea where to look. In the instant the shackle burned up, Zen may have had a moment of consciousness before he passed out but as the magic suppression dropped, leaving the link open again, he was in too much shock to be sending any message to Natani before he passed out. She may have had just a brief instant of pain message before passing out. I don't recall any instances throughout the comic where one or the other sibling was able to send or receive a message when unconscious.

Even if he could get a message out, how much idea did he have of where they are with respect to Edinmire? Also they haven't shown any ability yet with the link to determine direction and/or distance between them. Even if they can't, could a dragon trace an unconscious link to get a bearing?
The two can go through each other's memories. Even unconscious, Natani could have picked up where Zen was by the signposts and distance from Edinmire. Would be a bittersweet reunion for the pair.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Panther
Merchant

#21 Post by Panther »

Red is the common human jerk : judging peoples only on their bad behaviour . But he has thought he'll have to carry Zen while this last is passed out , then with his "no use"
leg ?
Rafe wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:50 amThe problem is, he may have saved the other's lives, at the cost of losing his own.
I don't think Zen will die from it but lose his leg , maybe :(
Man is a wolf for man ........ Don't insult the wolves :natani:

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#22 Post by AmigaDragon »

Schrodinger wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:42 am The two can go through each other's memories. Even unconscious, Natani could have picked up where Zen was by the signposts and distance from Edinmire. Would be a bittersweet reunion for the pair.
What signposts? I thought they were staying off the roads to avoid trouble from both humans and keidrans (mixed group).
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#23 Post by Schrodinger »

AmigaDragon wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:55 am
Schrodinger wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:42 am The two can go through each other's memories. Even unconscious, Natani could have picked up where Zen was by the signposts and distance from Edinmire. Would be a bittersweet reunion for the pair.
What signposts? I thought they were staying off the roads to avoid trouble from both humans and keidrans (mixed group).
Ah, right. That's why they don't know about how hostile Edinmire is to wolves right now. My mistake.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

#24 Post by Ketzal »

Panther wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:57 am Red is the common human jerk : judging peoples only on their bad behaviour . But he has thought he'll have to carry Zen while this last is passed out , then with his "no use" leg ?
"common human jerk"? so what about "common human jerk" Raine that convinced him to help zen? Even so, Red's just looking out for the group.

Also, since when is judging people on their behavior a bad thing? Given that Zen tried to kidnap/kill members of the group, I think that would warrant judging him for it from their perspective.

Panther
Merchant

#25 Post by Panther »

Ketzal wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:06 amAlso, since when is judging people on their behavior a bad thing? Given that Zen tried to kidnap/kill members of the group, I think that would warrant judging him for it from their perspective.
Red is judging Zen only on the fact he attacked them (fifth panel) , and "forgetting" he has saved them now ..... We have to judge someone on his full acts , not only the bad ones
Man is a wolf for man ........ Don't insult the wolves :natani:

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

#26 Post by Ketzal »

Panther wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:23 am
Ketzal wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:06 amAlso, since when is judging people on their behavior a bad thing? Given that Zen tried to kidnap/kill members of the group, I think that would warrant judging him for it from their perspective.
Red is judging Zen only on the fact he attacked them (fifth panel) , and "forgetting" he has saved them now ..... We have to judge someone on his full acts , not only the bad ones
right, my bad, it's totally unfair to judge someone based on their attempts to kill your friends.

Red's hardheaded, but he's not necessarily in the wrong here for distrusting an assassin sent after them.

Aurora
Citizen

#27 Post by Aurora »

I don't think he's gonna be walking on that foot anytime soon ...

Lordadmiral Drake
Master

#28 Post by Lordadmiral Drake »

Damn, Zen looks roasted O_o

On the point of Reni(?) finding their location, maybe she was able to sense Raines burst of magic
Furcode: FCXcsp2a A C- D H+ M- P- R++ T++ W Z- Sm# RLE a cln d+ e h* i+ j+ p- sm+

I'm a Deviant now

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

#29 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

Reunion is going to be epic. So so so epic.
I'm especially looking forward to Raine and Rose.

Cpt.Obvious
Apprentice

#30 Post by Cpt.Obvious »

Combak wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:05 am
morpheuskibbe wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:04 am
As a side note, either Reni travels incredibly quickly, the world of Mekkan is much smaller than has been implied, or Tom is terrible with judging size and distance.
Probably all three.
They have been travelling directly towards the town where Reni is since they left their own village. Its unclear how long they've been travelling but its probably abbreviated somewhat.
The bigger issue is the distance. Both Barrow Rock, where Team B is, and Edinmire seem to have a good distance separating them on the map Tom made. (Link: https://twokinds.deviantart.com/art/Two ... -296521380)
Then again, so does Edinmire and the docks. I guess that answers the question then.
Given the style of the map I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that distances shown the map often differed from the real distances. It used to be common to make maps this way, giving what the mapmaker thought were important features more room and moving less important features slightly out of the way. To navigate after such a map you have to follow the major landmarks and ignore discrepancies in distances shown or minor deviations in directions. You would also often use travel logs with information on travel time between towns and major landmarks and so on. So if the map is of this kind then we can't really say how far it is between Edinmire and the Giantstep Lake.