Moderator: Moderators

InneyFire

Re: Comic for October 4, 2017: Breaking Point

#46 Post by InneyFire »

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#47 Post by Dadrobit »

Soooo, not to be a Debby Downer here, but man, I think y'all are severely overestimating the durability of squirrels. To be fair, the intimacy of my knowledge in this area is barebones, and indeed, my investigation herein turned up very little. However, the ability to not get caught in a trap meant for vermin 1/3 it's size, or the ability to fall from a tree and be totally ok, doesn't really stand up to being fastball pitched into a tree spine-first a few feet away.

My brother kills his rats in a similar fashion for his reptiles by placing them in a sock, then throwing them at the ground. Very few survive, and those that do were not long for the world in their state.

Nibbly might not be immediately dead, but if that *CRACK* is anything to go by, she's not getting back up on her own.
Rafe wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:03 pm Zen, suddenly realizes how badly injured he is and collapses in pain...
I'm 99% certain that's already happened and Zen is the one Raine is looking at on the ground.

Raine is looking down at the brown haired figure as if they were right next to her, but a few things tell me that it's not Nibbly. First, the bubble is still up meaning Carver would have had to have thrown Nibbly through the barrier. That's almost certainly not the case.

And second, Raine is much much closer to Zen just prior to the pitch than to the closest potential tree that was Carver's target. However a much better option for the tree Carver threw her at is right next to him.
Rafe wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:03 pmFinally, Raine walks to the charred, still quivering form of Carver and hears him say in a weak, pleading voice,
"Please... please kill me!"
And she replies in a kind tone,
"I''m sorry. I know you're in excruciating pain, but there's nothing I can do about it. I can, however, keep you alive and conscious... for quite a long, long time."
Not happening. That's not Raine's character. Maybe Red if he knew the magic or Roderick if here were here, but Raine, definitely not.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#48 Post by Warrl »

How about a "transfer wounds" spell? So Mrs. M is fine and Carver feels like he just got his back racked across a huge tree?

Bon
Master

#49 Post by Bon »

I have a feeling that mrs nibly will be injured but not dead, and maybe she will transform into something more powerfull, who knows, but i dont think tom would just kill her off, i think the only reason she was hurt to begin with was to give raine a reason to use her power
Dadrobit wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:21 am My brother kills his rats in a similar fashion for his reptiles by placing them in a sock, then throwing them at the ground. Very few survive, and those that do were not long for the world in their state.
Thats disgusting and cruel D:

Add/Follow me on anything :flora:

Steam!

Twitter!

Facebook!

Twitch!

PSN: IBonsly

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#50 Post by Dadrobit »

Bon wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:25 am
Dadrobit wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:21 am My brother kills his rats in a similar fashion for his reptiles by placing them in a sock, then throwing them at the ground. Very few survive, and those that do were not long for the world in their state.
It's neither disgusting nor cruel. It's a very immediate death, and those very few that survive are swiftly fed to his reptiles to finish them off. This way his reptiles are also kept safe from the potential of the rats biting back and injuring them.

Rafe
Council Member

#51 Post by Rafe »

Dadrobit wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:21 am
Rafe wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:03 pm Zen, suddenly realizes how badly injured he is and collapses in pain...
... I'm 99% certain that's already happened and Zen is the one Raine is looking at on the ground.

Raine is looking down at the brown haired figure as if they were right next to her, but a few things tell me that it's not Nibbly. First, the bubble is still up meaning Carver would have had to have thrown Nibbly through the barrier. That's almost certainly not the case.
Rafe wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:03 pmFinally, Raine walks to the charred, still quivering form of Carver and hears him say in a weak, pleading voice,
"Please... please kill me!"
And she replies in a kind tone,
"I''m sorry. I know you're in excruciating pain, but there's nothing I can do about it. I can, however, keep you alive and conscious... for quite a long, long time."
Not happening. That's not Raine's character. Maybe Red if he knew the magic or Roderick if here were here, but Raine, definitely not.
Forgive my violent fantasy excursion there. I actually agree with you about Raine, and that she's probably looking at Zen.
What I'm hoping is that Raine not only has some power to heal Zen, but that, as her mother was able to see that Roselyn was innocent and didn't deserve to be hanged, she will be able to see into Zen's thoughts and know that he's been telling the truth the whole time (well, mostly).

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#52 Post by Hulk10 »

As I recall rats and survive a fall from a two story building. I however think she probably is dead..........
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

Ddraig
Templar Master

#53 Post by Ddraig »

Carnivores have to eat, too. Starving them would be both disgusting and cruel.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

Lightice
Citizen

#54 Post by Lightice »

Ddraig wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:18 pm
Carnivores have to eat, too. Starving them would be both disgusting and cruel.
There are less painful ways to kill rodents. And why rats, the smartest and most empathic of all rodents, basically miniature doggies? Why not mice? Those little [censored] are vicious and dumb as rocks. Or even better, hamsters?

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#55 Post by Dadrobit »

Hulk10 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:13 pm As I recall rats and survive a fall from a two story building. I however think she probably is dead..........
That's because they have a terminal velocity that is often non-fatal. But let's look at that for a second, because I'm bored.

Even if you ignore TV/drag, and drop an object from 20 feet, that object is going to be traveling at around 24.5mph when it hits the ground. In reality, said object (in this case, a rat or squirrel) will be travelling much slower and thus are able to survive.

But this isn't just dropping them, this is hardball overhand pitching straight down onto tile/into a tree. My brother/Carver might not be MLB Pro Pitchers throwing 100mph fastballs, but I don't think 50mph is out of the question with them both being able bodied individuals. That means their respective animals are hitting their surfaces with speeds well over at least twice of what they were reasonably built to survive, (falling out of a 20ft tree).
Lightice wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:52 pm
There are less painful ways to kill rodents. And why rats, the smartest and most empathic of all rodents, basically miniature doggies? Why not mice? Those little [censored] are vicious and dumb as rocks. Or even better, hamsters?
First off, this isn't his first rodeo. He knows there are plenty of ways to skin a rat, he's tried most of them. For instance, breaking the neck was a crapshoot as half the time it didn't completely sever the spinal cord even with a completely snapped neck and the rodent ended up screaming and writhing in pain. The only truly "non-painful" method was suffocation in a CO2 chamber. But that too turned into a long drawn out process where in the end the rodent still suffered as it gasped for air until it died.

His method bar none has the best rate of instantaneous death for the rats. Into the sock, one solid impact to the ground, and boom, job's done.

And second, I know how how nice rats can be, we used to own them as pets once upon a time. But just how many gerbils do you think he'd have to go through to feed beasts like this? That man is well over 6 feet, and that's only one of his snakes. His monitors are the size of small/medium dogs. Mice wouldn't do a darn thing for them.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#56 Post by Warrl »

The only truly "non-painful" method was suffocation in a CO2 chamber. But that too turned into a long drawn out process where in the end the rodent still suffered as it gasped for air until it died.
Mammal bodies detect CO2 overload. They can't detect lack of oxygen per se, but normally it's accompanied by CO2 overload. We get that overload, we go into panic mode.

We can't detect a nitrogen overload. So suffocation in a pure-nitrogen atmosphere doesn't induce panic; the first symptom is going to sleep.

GaySailors
Merchant
Fav. Twokinds Character: Alaric :D

#57 Post by GaySailors »

Warrl wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:21 am
The only truly "non-painful" method was suffocation in a CO2 chamber. But that too turned into a long drawn out process where in the end the rodent still suffered as it gasped for air until it died.
Mammal bodies detect CO2 overload. They can't detect lack of oxygen per se, but normally it's accompanied by CO2 overload. We get that overload, we go into panic mode.

We can't detect a nitrogen overload. So suffocation in a pure-nitrogen atmosphere doesn't induce panic; the first symptom is going to sleep.
I would take the mans word and personal experiences over the hypothetical, there'd be no reason to lie over something like this.

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.

#58 Post by Hulk10 »

I can't stand animal cruelty. And I hope that Mrs Nibbly is alive, but I doubt it.

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

GaySailors
Merchant
Fav. Twokinds Character: Alaric :D

#59 Post by GaySailors »

Hulk10 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:23 am ...I hope that Mrs Nibbly is alive, but I doubt it.
Yeah. I hate to say it guys, but It's more than likely Mrs. Nibs is gone. I hate to say it, but be real. I know Tom takes a lot of liberties regarding wounds sometimes, but... :(

For everyone talking about Raine ex-machina, lets remember what this whole adventure is about at the moment. Trace wants to save Flora's life, he wants to live with her until he dies of age himself. He's trying to find a (currently) non-existent cure for death.
Saria couldn't be brought back. Laura couldn't be brought back. Alaric couldn't be brought back. If Nibbly really is dead-on-impact, from a throw that took the bark off of a tree, I don't think any amount of magic is going to be bringing her back.
It might be possible she survived the spine shattering, bark removing, angry toss that Carver gave her, but even if so, she'd be pretty messed up.

Don't die yet Nibbly. (;_;)

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster

#60 Post by Hulk10 »

Although we don't know if her spine shattered but she is probably dead.