Comic for October 1, 2017: Breakthrough

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Rafe
Council Member

Comic for October 1, 2017: Breakthrough

#1 Post by Rafe »

Looks like Zen is going to be the first one to get to Carver. I guess we'll see if he can maintain his human look through all this.
Also, the shackle seems to be getting extremely hot in the process. Zen is obviously going through some extreme pain to get to him.

Another thought just occurred to me - I wonder if Carver will decide that he could kill Mrs. Nibbly much more effectively as a fox than as a human.

Menke

Re: Comic for October 1, 2017 Breakthrough

#2 Post by Menke »

I'm not so sure if Zen is going to be the one to reach him, if his ankle is burned that much. More likely that he collapses to the ground clutching it while everyone ELSE rushes Carver. Particularly Sythe, if Carver manages to hurt Nibs.

This may be Zen's means of getting on the group's good side, since he's effectively sacrificing his body to save their lives. At which point they remove his shackle and we get to see touching mental reunion between siblings.

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

Re: Comic for October 1, 2017: Breakthrough

#3 Post by CrRAR »

Wow, I really like the progression of this page! Excellent comicing skills on display here!

Welp, Zen's earning his stripes with Team B. A trial by fire as it seems. Ouch. The next place that foot goes is a roundhouse kick straight to Carver's (hopefully Nibbly-free) face. :mrgrin:

K.O.
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#4 Post by MuonNeutrino »

First off, I'm just gonna say - frigging ouch! That looks incredibly painful. :shock:

I have some nasty suspicions here that I devoutly hope are unfounded. Zen just crushed a magic crystal that apparently contained enough mana to power what Raine considered to be a very mana-hungry spell. We know what happens when you break magic crystals. They release their stored energy. Explosively. Now, this isn't anywhere near as big of a mana crystal, but Zen is also literally touching it with his paw, with the rest of his body only a couple feet away. I'm actually a bit worried for Zen here - either for his leg (the non-burned one), or even for his life if Tom is feeling like pulling a shocker. I don't *think* Tom would kill him off, but I'm less certain about that than I'd like to be.

e: wait, this forum has a profanity filter?

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster

#5 Post by CrRAR »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:56 ame: wait, this forum has a profanity filter?
Yerp. For many, many moons.

[censored]
Fight the power!

NiWo21k
Merchant
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#6 Post by NiWo21k »

So i wasnt that far of with my idea that Zen would somehow break out of the barrier.

Carver shouldnt have tried to anger him, but man, i have the feeling this will leave a nasty scar :shock:
At least he will be able to comunicate with Natani after this again (Hopefully) and the other trust him a little bit more.
Just an average internet user and :natani: & :raine: fan

My head is full of ideas, but i cant get them on paper - Please brain start thinking about important stuff.

Avatar: a reinterpretation of my own character by Claarin

GaySailors
Merchant
Fav. Twokinds Character: Alaric :D

#7 Post by GaySailors »

Is it possible to be happy and sad at the same time?
God, for the past month, Tom has honestly kept me constantly waiting for the next comic, metaphorically on the edge of my seat if you will.

I'm scared for Zen... after all that's happened, I had a thought...

What if the anklet melted into his body?
It seems like it could if its already melting that easily, and if it melts the clamps together, it couldn't be taken off.
I don't know if they could, it'd take time to safely do so. Does this mean the link is going to stay broken for longer?

Someone mentioned that when crystals break, they release a large amount of energy violently.
Well, that crystal broke alright.
Right under Zen.
That super powerful, explosive, crystal.

he isn't gonna die is he?

NiWo21k
Merchant

#8 Post by NiWo21k »

GaySailors wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:19 am Someone mentioned that when crystals break, they release a large amount of energy violently.
Well, that crystal broke alright.
Right under Zen.
That super powerful, explosive, crystal.

I hope not - but i can see the possibility that he can loose his foot in the aftermath - maybe the crystal explodes, but the barrier will still be there for some seconds after that and will protect them for a little while (but not his foot).

About the part that the shackle will be there permantly fused with him. This would contradict what happend with Raine (after it was damaged the spell didnt work anymore) - so i can imagine the same happing when it melts.

But i am with you - hope they come out there without to much losses.

My head is full of ideas, but i cant get them on paper - Please brain start thinking about important stuff.

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster

#9 Post by CrRAR »

NiWo21k wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:16 am (Hopefully) and the others trust him a little bit more.
Well if Carver survives the impending merciless beating and Nibbly's handiwork (look at those action lines!) I thiiink Zen will have secured his ticket out of the dog house.

With Carver, they'll have a whoooole new unsuspecting prisoner to chastize, deprive of clothing, and tie up. Can't let tradition die now! He's in for a rude nude awakening.

:mrgreen:
GaySailors wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:19 amWhat if the anklet melted into his body?
It seems like it could if its already melting that easily, and if it melts the clamps together, it couldn't be taken off.
I don't know if they could, it'd take time to safely do so. Does this mean the link is going to stay broken for longer?
Maybe forever...?
Maybe not forever, I doubt it is going to melt into his leg...but I do completely see it realistic that what's left will need to be cut off. That said, Raine broke the shackle originally when it fell out of a tree. So, I'm sitting here questioning the durability of enchanted objects. Could go either way I guess.

Maybe he could break it on Carver's face, howboutthat? XD
Fight the power!

NiWo21k
Merchant

#10 Post by NiWo21k »

CrRAR wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:33 am With Carver, they'll have a whoooole new unsuspecting prisoner to chastize, deprive of clothing, and tie up. Can't let tradition die now! He's in for a rude nude awakening.
You know i am not so sure if this would be a good idea - i somehow imagine that this group will make his life a living hell in so many ways, so that Carver will wish he is dead - i cant tell you why but the sisters and in some parts Raine - i can imagine beeing threatend can show their more sadistic side :mrgreen:

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#11 Post by SirJahar »

Assuming the shackle is iron or steel, and by the looks of it, un-tempered, it should take getting to around *900-1,200 degrees Celsius to glow like that.
His ankle is effectively cooked.
He's not going to be taking Carver down. The group can probably save him, especially with a magic pool right there and the shards of carver's death-rod, but Zen is down for now.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#12 Post by Schrodinger »

SirJahar wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:50 am Assuming the shackle is iron or steel, and by the looks of it, un-tempered, it should take getting to around *900-1,200 degrees Celsius to glow like that.
His ankle is effectively cooked.
He's not going to be taking Carver down. The group can probably save him, especially with a magic pool right there and the shards of carver's death-rod, but Zen is down for now.
Mind you that a small bit of it that isn't as incandescent is also starting to melt. That's somewhere around 1260 to 1400° C, depending on the metal used, directly on his skin. But then again, authors have no sense of scale and Zen might be fortunate enough to limp away with some second degree burns for this effort.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#13 Post by SirJahar »

Schrodinger wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:15 am Mind you that a small bit of it that isn't as incandescent is also starting to melt. That's somewhere around 1260 to 1400° C, depending on the metal used, directly on his skin. But then again, authors have no sense of scale and Zen might be fortunate enough to limp away with some second degree burns for this effort.
Oh, completely right. I'm hoping to get maybe all of 5 panels effectively saying "He's hurt" and "he's all better now because magic." or "He's good enough to walk, because magic."

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#14 Post by Schrodinger »

SirJahar wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:17 am
Schrodinger wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:15 am Mind you that a small bit of it that isn't as incandescent is also starting to melt. That's somewhere around 1260 to 1400° C, depending on the metal used, directly on his skin. But then again, authors have no sense of scale and Zen might be fortunate enough to limp away with some second degree burns for this effort.
Oh, completely right. I'm hoping to get maybe all of 5 panels effectively saying "He's hurt" and "he's all better now because magic." or "He's good enough to walk, because magic."
"The metal only heated up on one side, so he was a bit insulated but still burned."
What was it the spider said to the fly...

HSishi
Citizen

#15 Post by HSishi »

"Tree rat" ... that insult deserves more and deeper face scratches!