Comic for October 1, 2017: Breakthrough

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

FurryTanker
New Citizen

Re: Comic for October 1, 2017: Breakthrough

#31 Post by FurryTanker »

Jeez Zen going to need a wheelchair after this. 1 leg is going to be blow to bits while the other getting 3rd to 4th degree burns. Hopefully he passes out from the pain cause ain like that is mind breaking.

BadJoke
Templar GrandMaster

#32 Post by BadJoke »

I hope Zen is actually really hurt by this experience. Maybe even badly. Victory without pain is no victory and lacks drama.

EDIT: And I really doubt Carver is going to be added to the group.
Criminals are less dangerous than virtuous people: they kill less.

Cyon
Templar GrandMaster

#33 Post by Cyon »

BadJoke wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:13 pm I hope Zen is actually really hurt by this experience. Maybe even badly. Victory without pain is no victory and lacks drama.

My exact thoughs. Sacrifices need to be made in order for the story to remain exciting. Hopefully he'll find a way to overcome the experience
Who even looks at signatures anyways?

Multitasking is just a way to be less efficient at two different things simultaneously

Furcode: FCWp5ad A- C->+ D H+ M- P? R++ T++ W? Z- Sm# RL- a- cl++ d+ e- f h* i++ j? p- sm-

Rafe
Council Member

#34 Post by Rafe »

I'm wondering whether Carver will transform back into a fox because in that form he could more easily kill Mrs. Nibbly.

Something else has got me wondering about Carver. He looks like no other fox in this story.
Mike and Laura for instance look like cute anime characters, viz:

While Carver has a more fox-like, feral look:

I'd say he looks better as a fox than a human, but he looks a lot less human than other Two Kinds foxes. And maybe he does have an interesting backstory - sympathetic or not. That would make him a lot more human as a character (though not necessarily any less evil).

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#35 Post by BadFoMo »

Dang! Not only was this part of a surprise stream, but it was also updated at around midnight?! That's way earlier than I was expecting it.

Anyway, I'm going to hope I got the first version since the Transcript says that Zen is talking in Keidran in the seventh panel, yet he isn't in the actual page (this text is missing the <> symbols). But if I'm wrong, will somebody let me know; and potentially give me a copy of the original version?

Moving on.
Rafe wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:44 pm
tony1695 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:26 am...I honestly expect a panel next page of Natani screaming in agony as her ankle (or whatever the appropriate bit of anatomy on a digitigrade leg is called) feels like it's getting cooked.
On a canine (as with a horse), that would be called his hock. Let's hope that, if the connection gets reestablished, Natani can help Zen heal. It seems too much to ask for them to actually get together, with the conflict going on and all, but maybe with some help from Trace or Reni, Zen could get some help somehow. And don't forget that "magic spring" where they camped.
It could be possible that she could be feeling it somewhat right now. Even with the shackle on, she was able to sort of send a message to him. Plus, with the shackle melting, I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to say that the link might be getting better.

Rafe wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:44 pmSpeaking of getting help, I wonder if Natani can get Roselyn to trust her. Roselyn seems to have a lot of local knowledge and at least some magic ability. Maybe if she finds out that Clovis is the one behind this attack and is hurting Zen and now possibly Natani, she'll decide that Natani and Zen are on her side. Lots of possible complications, though.
I'm sorry, but I don't recall seeing Rose do anything magical or show any sign that she knows about Clovis.

Combak wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:26 pmAm I the only one worried that breaking the crystal like this would make the spell permanent?
I don't know, while that did create the barrier, it's also supplying power to it. If there's no more power going to it, what's going to keep it up?

Rafe wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:24 pmSomething else has got me wondering about Carver. He looks like no other fox in this story.
Mike and Laura for instance look like cute anime characters, viz:

Example 1.

While Carver has a more fox-like, feral look:

Example 2.

I'd say he looks better as a fox than a human, but he looks a lot less human than other Two Kinds foxes. And maybe he does have an interesting backstory - sympathetic or not. That would make him a lot more human as a character (though not necessarily any less evil).
I have an unfounded theory for that. Clovis sent him on this mission (and potentially trusts him) because Carver too is a Wolf Fox hybrid. That's all I got.
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

Ddraig
Templar Master

#36 Post by Ddraig »

Combak wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:26 pm Am I the only one worried that breaking the crystal like this would make the spell permanent?
Conservation of energy (it pretty much always applies even in magic-worlds) says it shouldn't.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

GaySailors
Merchant
Fav. Twokinds Character: Alaric :D

#37 Post by GaySailors »

I think you guys are overestimating Raine's ability to heal Zen. She doesn't know how to really use magic.

Also, that crystal was powerful enough to create a dome that huge and strong without any problem, plus being able to potentially do more. I would say it has fairly larger potential to go boom than a reused makeshift crystal that broke from use, and not outside force. I don't think any deus ex machina is going to be popping up anytime soon.

RowanEx
Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#38 Post by RowanEx »

Huh. After Natani took the bad end of the stick waaaaay back then, it looks like Zen got the bad side of the stick and is getting beat up. Oh nu.
~~~()~~~
Rowan Ex

furcode: FFfm2adfrw A C- D H++ M- P R+ T+++ W Z- Sm RLU a- clmn++ d- e- f+ h+ iwf++ j++ p- sm-

Rafe
Council Member

#39 Post by Rafe »

BadFoMo wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:31 pm ...I'm sorry, but I don't recall seeing Rose do anything magical or show any sign that she knows about Clovis.
Don't tell me you forgot about Rose coming within seconds of being strung up on the gallows after she was discovered using an illusion spell to get into town to see Euchre. That had to be the most unforgettable, gut-wrenching story in this entire comic:

As for being exposed to Clovis, that's only been seen in the The Dragon Masquerade comic.

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#40 Post by SirJahar »

Cyon wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:20 pm
BadJoke wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:13 pm I hope Zen is actually really hurt by this experience. Maybe even badly. Victory without pain is no victory and lacks drama.

My exact thoughs. Sacrifices need to be made in order for the story to remain exciting. Hopefully he'll find a way to overcome the experience
Up to a point. Remember, this is a fantasy setting. By its nature, that allows characters back in action amazingly, impossibly fast. Do I want to see him downed by this? yes. Long term crippled? no.

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#41 Post by BadFoMo »

Rafe wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:21 pm
BadFoMo wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:31 pm...I'm sorry, but I don't recall seeing Rose do anything magical or show any sign that she knows about Clovis.
Don't tell me you forgot about Rose coming within seconds of being strung up on the gallows after she was discovered using an illusion spell to get into town to see Euchre. That had to be the most unforgettable, gut-wrenching story in this entire comic:

[troll]Okay, I won't.[/troll]

Rafe wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:21 pmAs for being exposed to Clovis, that's only been seen in the The Dragon Masquerade comic.
If I remember correctly, she was only inadvertently affected by him because she was knocked out by Natani. She probably doesn't even know he exists.

Also, we have some relevant lore that was dropped in the stream. I really need to get around to making that collection of all the lore ever given and put it all in one place.
[DarthPsydus] anyone else find zens shackle melting cool looking?
[MidnightBlue78] yesssssssssss:ctwokinds-evalswink_sparkl:
[OwenStarr] kinda?
[Twokinds] I thought it was cool looking too :smiley:
[DarthPsydus] probably painful though
[OwenStarr] Yeah, it looks like it hurt
[Twokinds] Stung a littleProbably give him a good limp for a while
[NeonMitsumi] Ah, yes, the smell of burnt fur and flesh in the morning.
[MidnightBlue78] no worries, magic will cure him
i hope....
[DarthPsydus] raine will cure him
[MidnightBlue78] Even better
[Combak] Afternoon Tom!
Also, lots of people are pointing out that you under-estimated the temperatures the anklet would have to reach given how it's depicted.
[Combak] By the way Tom, how are you? Three stream in three days ought to leave you a little sore.
[BadFoMo] @DarthPsydus //Troll When she was little, Raine passed the time with wood carving. she knows how to make a pegleg.
Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
[DarthPsydus] lmao
[FoxxTrotter] Heh, kyoot. :0P
[DarthPsydus] capn barbossa :stuck_out_tongue:
[BadFoMo] I'm also sure [Database error] knows how to amputat a limb.
[Combak] amputate
[BadFoMo] Thank you.
[Combak] NP
[DarthPsydus] would probaby blow up in his face tho
[Twokinds] ACTUALLY
[BadFoMo] Yes?
[DarthPsydus] ....?
[NeonMitsumi] That's it. Just "actually".
[DarthPsydus] whoaaat?
knawledge
[Combak] When one of Nat's old, overused mana crystals broke, it was just a little pop.
[Twokinds] Metal melted magically is much cooler than when mundainly melted. Some magic-melted metals can be handled with bare hands! This is known as submelting, a form of magitation, which anyone who took a basic magicurgy class would know!
Jeez, get your basic magic science right guys.
[DarthPsydus] gesundheit
[Combak] tl;dr: Word of God BS. :stuck_out_tongue:
[DarthPsydus] adding 'magitation' to my dictionanry
:slight_smile:
[BadFoMo] Might be total bs, but Lore is lore to me!
[Combak] Interestingly, that is a word... in Hindi.
[Twokinds] :ctwokinds-NataniHAHA:
[Twokinds] magic melted metal melds mutates mundane metallurgy myths
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#42 Post by Dadrobit »

SirJahar wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:37 am
Cyon wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:20 pm

Up to a point. Remember, this is a fantasy setting. By its nature, that allows characters back in action amazingly, impossibly fast. Do I want to see him downed by this? yes. Long term crippled? no.
Yeah, Tom really doesn't do the whole, "sacrifice" thing anymore. Even villains get off with barely a scratch after suffering attacks that rather seem like they should have potentially been vorpal'd in twain. I cannot see Tom doing seriously grievous injury that is permanent to a main character like Zen anymore. I'm guessing this'll just turn out to be another example of Raine demonstrating just how powerful she is after she heals him up and dispatches Carver, or it'll turn out to be something so minor that he lives happily ever after even without her.

Granted, if he does do something harsh to Zen, I'd applaud it for nudging the story away from its "A-Team" (everybody's shooting, nobody ever dies) philosophy that it picked up after Laura 2.0 bit the dust, (pun mildly intended) but I doubt it.

steelabjur
Council Member

#43 Post by steelabjur »

NiWo21k wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:30 am
GaySailors wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:19 am Someone mentioned that when crystals break, they release a large amount of energy violently.
Well, that crystal broke alright.
Right under Zen.
That super powerful, explosive, crystal.

I hope not - but i can see the possibility that he can loose his foot in the aftermath - maybe the crystal explodes, but the barrier will still be there for some seconds after that and will protect them for a little while (but not his foot).

About the part that the shackle will be there permantly fused with him. This would contradict what happend with Raine (after it was damaged the spell didnt work anymore) - so i can imagine the same happing when it melts.

But i am with you - hope they come out there without to much losses.
I'm on the boat that the shackle will be welded shut by the heat, but perhaps the magical runes, which were engraved on the inside of shackle, will become branded on Zen's leg and continue to function? We could be seeing the birth of an entirely new type of magic in the world (sort of like the magic in "Broken Crescent" by S. Andrew Swann).

Candycat
Citizen

#44 Post by Candycat »

steelabjur wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:50 pm
NiWo21k wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:30 am
GaySailors wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:19 am Someone mentioned that when crystals break, they release a large amount of energy violently.
Well, that crystal broke alright.
Right under Zen.
That super powerful, explosive, crystal.

I hope not - but i can see the possibility that he can loose his foot in the aftermath - maybe the crystal explodes, but the barrier will still be there for some seconds after that and will protect them for a little while (but not his foot).

About the part that the shackle will be there permantly fused with him. This would contradict what happend with Raine (after it was damaged the spell didnt work anymore) - so i can imagine the same happing when it melts.

But i am with you - hope they come out there without to much losses.
I'm on the boat that the shackle will be welded shut by the heat, but perhaps the magical runes, which were engraved on the inside of shackle, will become branded on Zen's leg and continue to function? We could be seeing the birth of an entirely new type of magic in the world (sort of like the magic in "Broken Crescent" by S. Andrew Swann).
Whatever happens to the shackle I'm sure it will be interesting. If it breaks, then that means Zen and Natani are able to communicate via link again, but Raine will be stuck in her wolfy form unless she can find another supressor, or a helpful magic user. OR it fuses shut on Zen's leg and the spell either fails or it keeps going. If it fails then like I said, Raine is a bit stuck and Zen is stuck with a shackle that does nothing. If it keeps working, Raine is still stuck in wolfyness and Zen is unable to communicate with Natani until they find a way to get the shackle off, which could be a long time (Except if amputation is necessary because it burns). OR the shackle is just a bit deformed but otherwise still works physically and magically—or it magically fails but is physically fine—which would still be interesting. What will happen?!
ImageImage
ImageImage

Cyon
Templar GrandMaster

#45 Post by Cyon »

BadFoMo wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:32 am
Rafe wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:21 pm
BadFoMo wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:31 pm...I'm sorry, but I don't recall seeing Rose do anything magical or show any sign that she knows about Clovis.

[troll]Okay, I won't.[/troll]
It's the incredible amount of dishonesty that was seen in such a short arc. Hit me right in the feels
BadFoMo wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:32 am
Rafe wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:21 pmAs for being exposed to Clovis, that's only been seen in the The Dragon Masquerade comic.
If I remember correctly, she was only inadvertently affected by him because she was knocked out by Natani. She probably doesn't even know he exists.

Also, we have some relevant lore that was dropped in the stream. I really need to get around to making that collection of all the lore ever given and put it all in one place.
Yes, but if it could be handled with bare hands then Zen wouldn't be in pain as he clearly is in the latest page. The key word is "some" not "all". Check mate.
Who even looks at signatures anyways?

Multitasking is just a way to be less efficient at two different things simultaneously

Furcode: FCWp5ad A- C->+ D H+ M- P? R++ T++ W? Z- Sm# RL- a- cl++ d+ e- f h* i++ j? p- sm-