Comic for October 1, 2017: Breakthrough

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Shockwave07
Apprentice

Re: Comic for October 1, 2017: Breakthrough

#16 Post by Shockwave07 »

I'm actually interested where the story will go now that Zen has the anti-magic cuff even harder to remove from his leg... We see Natani getting used to being on her own, but still have to wonder where this will leave the two... That said, Carver better have some tricks if he hopes to outlast the group.

But you know the old saying, sly as a fox.

Aurora
Citizen

#17 Post by Aurora »

Yay! Atta boy, Zen! I can hardly wait for the next page and see the bubble literally pop -- and Carver loses his Human disguise! And he's totally stuck, ...
facing the whole group at once.

Good squirrel, for making it possible. Good Nibbly! :squirrel:

Wow, ... that shackle is gonna be fried.

But no matter how it hurts Zen, it'll be worth it, I';; bet he'll think, to get at that jerk!

Hayate
The Hidden User

#18 Post by Hayate »

Holy heck that's gonna leave a mark... I hope Zen isn't too badly burned... I have a feeling that's gonna be the end of the shackle now. Hopefully Raine can get a handle on her transformations. On the bright side, Zen and Nat should be able to communicate again!
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

Tendo
Master

#19 Post by Tendo »

Oh dear, as if the effects on Natani when the shackle was first put on weren't bad enough, I don't want to imagine what would happen if after Natani has recovered and managed to overcome needing the bond, it's forcefully and violently reconnected with a huge magical backlash to boot...

.... or it's possible the bond was permanently severed when the shackle was first put on and this won't effect Natani in the slightest.

... also poor Raine.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#20 Post by Dadrobit »

Well, seems Zen is probably gonna be out of the fight for the immediate future. That wound is way nastier than what Tom colored in stream.

Hate to say it, but I think my previous postulation is just as relevant, if not more so now that Sythe is going to have to play a bigger part in the fight against Clovis with Zen out of commission. What better way to instigate his fury than by hurting/killing his animal companion right in front of him?
Schrodinger wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:22 am
SirJahar wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:17 am
Schrodinger wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:15 am Mind you that a small bit of it that isn't as incandescent is also starting to melt. That's somewhere around 1260 to 1400° C, depending on the metal used, directly on his skin. But then again, authors have no sense of scale and Zen might be fortunate enough to limp away with some second degree burns for this effort.
Oh, completely right. I'm hoping to get maybe all of 5 panels effectively saying "He's hurt" and "he's all better now because magic." or "He's good enough to walk, because magic."
"The metal only heated up on one side, so he was a bit insulated but still burned."
Aye, this is also the world where a crossbow bolt, mid flight, will encounter heat that can turn it to ash instantaneously, and yet Keith comes just as close and is totally fine. My bet is on him being injured and requires help to walk for a chapter, followed by a scar that pops up every once in a while. But I too seriously doubt he'll go full peg-leg on us. Raine will almost certainly heave a goodly serving of Cure Magic Ex Machina™ his way asap.

Also, folks are worried about the mana explosion, but they're using a Templar Tower as an example, while this is a rod with crystals the size of a thumb. And we've seen crystals go "pop" without causing mass destruction as well. Granted, that was a weakened crystal, but I still don't think we're gonna see the landmine destruction folks are expecting. I think that's pretty much relegated to tower size crystals imploding.

Furthermore, I think the shackle's magic nullification enchantment is probably going kaput here. If dropping it on a rock and cracking it disabled it last time, having it straight up melt, (after being repaired by an untrained mage using dust from depleted crystals) is probably going to work just as well here. Or at least heavily hamper it. :mrgrin:

NuclearBird
Master

#21 Post by NuclearBird »

Schrodinger wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:22 am
SirJahar wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:17 am
Schrodinger wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:15 am Mind you that a small bit of it that isn't as incandescent is also starting to melt. That's somewhere around 1260 to 1400° C, depending on the metal used, directly on his skin. But then again, authors have no sense of scale and Zen might be fortunate enough to limp away with some second degree burns for this effort.
Oh, completely right. I'm hoping to get maybe all of 5 panels effectively saying "He's hurt" and "he's all better now because magic." or "He's good enough to walk, because magic."
"The metal only heated up on one side, so he was a bit insulated but still burned."
Metal is an excellent thermal conductor, so that's a bust.
If the universe is infinite, does that mean that there is a version of me out there who's thinking the exact same thing?

While we're on the topic of alternate universes, is there one where I'm a lawyer? If yes, then I may be more evil than I thought.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#22 Post by tony1695 »

So, the shackle is suppressing the link between Zen and Natani? Surely it melting will reduce its effectiveness by... a lot.
I honestly expect a panel next page of Natani screaming in agony as her ankle (or whatever the appropriate bit of anatomy on a digitigrade leg is called) feels like it's getting cooked.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Aevere
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#23 Post by Aevere »

I'm more expecting the shackle to actually just break at the same time as the shield.

It's being overloaded by the power from the shield, as seen from the glowing hotness, but seeing as how Zen broke the shield manipulator it's more likely that the shield will go down he'll just have a roasted ankle >.>

Rafe
Council Member

#24 Post by Rafe »

tony1695 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:26 am ...I honestly expect a panel next page of Natani screaming in agony as her ankle (or whatever the appropriate bit of anatomy on a digitigrade leg is called) feels like it's getting cooked.
On a canine (as with a horse), that would be called his hock. Let's hope that, if the connection gets reestablished, Natani can help Zen heal. It seems too much to ask for them to actually get together, with the conflict going on and all, but maybe with some help from Trace or Reni, Zen could get some help somehow. And don't forget that "magic spring" where they camped.

Speaking of getting help, I wonder if Natani can get Roselyn to trust her. Roselyn seems to have a lot of local knowledge and at least some magic ability. Maybe if she finds out that Clovis is the one behind this attack and is hurting Zen and now possibly Natani, she'll decide that Natani and Zen are on her side. Lots of possible complications, though.

Etgfrogs

#25 Post by Etgfrogs »

Inside the sphere is a vacuum. The entire team B is going to get knocked back by all the air rushing back into there when the bubble pops.

Panther
Merchant

#26 Post by Panther »

Zen has been too hurry with try to free all them : it would have been faster to go through the "wall" if he had used his shackled leg in place of the other one , the shackle being more in contact
Man is a wolf for man ........ Don't insult the wolves :natani:

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#27 Post by CrRAR »

Rafe wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:44 pm And don't forget that "magic spring" where they camped.
Now I'm picturing Zen rushing off in a frenzy for the spring, screaming doglike all the way...

ARP ARPARPARPARP *splish*
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

Combak
Citizen

#28 Post by Combak »

Am I the only one worried that breaking the crystal like this would make the spell permanent?

SomeBody
Citizen

#29 Post by SomeBody »

Well, only the outside is melting, so clearly the inside is at least a bit cooler. Second, he has fur - it'll char and burn and protect the flesh, at least briefly.
So who knows, it's not quite as far out of the bounds of reality as it could be.

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#30 Post by SirJahar »

Etgfrogs wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:32 pm Inside the sphere is a vacuum. The entire team B is going to get knocked back by all the air rushing back into there when the bubble pops.
Not a total vacuum. Nowhere near it, yet. Just a low-pressure area.