Moderator: Moderators

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

Comic for September 23rd, 2017

#1 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Alt-text: Magical Interference

Sketch version

I think Carver may come to regret pissing off Zen. I don't think we've seen him that elementally enraged before.

Edit: regarding the magic rod, as it's described in the sketch version's extra panel, Tom on-stream described it as basically a more powerful version of something like Raine's shackle - a magic artifact that can only cast one spell, but can do it *really* powerfully. Notably, they require significant magical expertise and knowledge in scribing magical runes to create, but can be *used* by anyone, even a basitin. (It's not a 'templar only' thing, however - Tom noted that since keidran are already limited to using crystals, they tend to focus a lot of their research on applications of magic crystals like these.)

Meribah
Citizen

Re: Comic for September 23rd, 2017

#2 Post by Meribah »

Uh oh, that crystal knife thing doesn't look good. How will our valiant heroes get out of this? Mrs. Nibbly? :squirrel:

Cyon
Templar GrandMaster

#3 Post by Cyon »

Carver has a soft spot for Clovey :heart:

And at least we have an answer as to who created the barrier! So that's one argument over.
Who even looks at signatures anyways?

Multitasking is just a way to be less efficient at two different things simultaneously

Furcode: FCWp5ad A- C->+ D H+ M- P? R++ T++ W? Z- Sm# RL- a- cl++ d+ e- f h* i++ j? p- sm-

GaySailors
Merchant
Fav. Twokinds Character: Alaric :D

#4 Post by GaySailors »

Go Zen! :zen:

I'm going to assume the specific mention of the use of "her" could either mean removing the bond between Zen and her, thus making her essentially comatose, or exploiting the fact shes a female.
I know Clovis is a misogynistic playboy and all, but considering that he now has a lovely set of breasts, I doubt he'd try anything of that sort. It's obvious Clovis could try to torture Natani through humiliation by making her act like a woman or something before breaking the spell, but is Tom implying he'd order somebody to actually rape her?

That would be literally the worst thing that could happen to her, more so now considering shes in a relationship with Keith. If Tom's really is implying that, Clovis is the dirtiest [censored] to come up in this comic so far.
I'd love to see him get beat to a soundtrack by Zen losing his metaphorical [censored].

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

#5 Post by IHeartMaeve »

Well, it looks like there's gonna be a problem here. First of all, how's our secondary band of heroes gonna get out of this mess? Second of all, what will happen after the cliffhanger? Third of all, why did Tom say pages, plural, in his previous Twitter update but there is only one page here? And finally, why do I feel a need to ask all these potentially-stupid questions?!
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#6 Post by Dadrobit »

Clovey? I wonder if Carver has some serious leverage on Clovis, (like knowledge of his current predicament and Carver helps maintain the illusion of maleness for Clovis?) or if that's just a name that gets tossed around behind his back?

Also, man, that some serious threatening coming from both sides of the barrier.
MuonNeutrino wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:48 pm
Edit: regarding the magic rod, as it's described in the sketch version's extra panel, Tom on-stream described it as basically a more powerful version of something like Raine's shackle - a magic artifact that can only cast one spell, but can do it *really* powerfully. Notably, they require significant magical expertise and knowledge in scribing magical runes to create, but can be *used* by anyone, even a basitin. (It's not a 'templar only' thing, however - Tom noted that since keidran are already limited to using crystals, they tend to focus a lot of their research on applications of magic crystals like these.)
Also worth noting on rune creation. You not only need to know how to write the runes, you need the "intention" of them as well. So you can't just take a crystal and copy runes to make your own.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#7 Post by Schrodinger »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:48 pm Edit: regarding the magic rod, as it's described in the sketch version's extra panel, Tom on-stream described it as basically a more powerful version of something like Raine's shackle - a magic artifact that can only cast one spell, but can do it *really* powerfully. Notably, they require significant magical expertise and knowledge in scribing magical runes to create, but can be *used* by anyone, even a basitin. (It's not a 'templar only' thing, however - Tom noted that since keidran are already limited to using crystals, they tend to focus a lot of their research on applications of magic crystals like these.)
I love when we get these little bits of lore. How very Dungeons and Dragons.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Hayate
The Hidden User

#8 Post by Hayate »

I can't wait to see what happens to that guy when Zen gets out of that barrier xD

I really need to stop procrastinating and read TDM... I want to know just how much stuff has happened between them.
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#9 Post by MuonNeutrino »

GaySailors wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:23 pmI'm going to assume the specific mention of the use of "her" could either mean removing the bond between Zen and her, thus making her essentially comatose, or exploiting the fact shes a female.
I know Clovis is a misogynistic playboy and all, but considering that he now has a lovely set of breasts, I doubt he'd try anything of that sort. It's obvious Clovis could try to torture Natani through humiliation by making her act like a woman or something before breaking the spell, but is Tom implying he'd order somebody to actually rape her?

That would be literally the worst thing that could happen to her, more so now considering shes in a relationship with Keith. If Tom's really is implying that, Clovis is the dirtiest [censored] to come up in this comic so far.
I'd love to see him get beat to a soundtrack by Zen losing his metaphorical [censored].
Well, back in TDM, even before anything bad happened to him he came right out and admitted in his internal musings that after they brought back the crystal he intended to expose Natani and then "take her for myself". And I highly doubt he intended or expected any consent to be involved. And then, at the end of TDM, not only was his plan foiled but he himself was cursed to live indefinitely as the thing he most hated, and this happened at the hands of the "women" Natani and Nora. He's had to hide his transformation for *years* now, and he probably woke up every single morning of every one of those years cursing Natani and Nora's names for his 'humiliation'.

And now he apparently thinks he's in a position to get revenge. Whatever that amulet is he bargained his services to Braun for, I doubt it's merely some valuable bauble. I don't think I'm alone in guessing it's probably enchanted to restore his original form, with the effort of weeks of "a team of (the templar's) best mages" needed to counter Nora's magic. And it sounds like Carver was *specifically* assigned to track down not only Zen, but Natani as well, and Clovis shared Nat's secret with him - that sounds like the workings of a plan, not mere taking advantage of happenstance.

It's not like Clovis could never have tracked down Natani and Zen before. They were part of the assassin's guild, they went on missions and bragged about them in bars. With his position in the underworld he could have found them. So, he must want something more than to simply kill them. He wants revenge. And what would *Clovis*, prince of greed and misogyny, consider an 'appropriate' revenge on the 'weak woman' who he considers responsible for his years of humiliation? I would consider it entirely in character for him to be planning on torturing Natani by having him raped (or doing the job himself with his newly restored male body). He'd find it *delicious* to have Natani forced into being a sex slave.

Remember, Clovis is a *villain*, and not a nice one. Some villains are sympathetic, but some aren't.

Qwe304
Citizen

#10 Post by Qwe304 »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:20 am
Well, back in TDM, even before anything bad happened to him he came right out and admitted in his internal musings that after they brought back the crystal he intended to expose Natani and then "take her for myself". And I highly doubt he intended or expected any consent to be involved.
-from tdm
Reality is a cool place but I wouldn't want to live there -anonymous

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#11 Post by BadFoMo »

Schrodinger wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:49 pm
MuonNeutrino wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:48 pmComic for September 23rd, 2017
I too enjoy getting lore. It makes it seem like there's more to the world than what we've seen so far. It also gives us something to talk about; like when it says “can only cast one spell” does that mean it could only cast (for example) Squirrel Transformation on Target, or it's only good for one shot?

Also, do the Mana Stones act like batteries (meaning that you could unwrap the rod and replace the Mana Stones when needed), or are they part of the item?

Anyway, a plot twist and question which came up in the stream.

Clovis: Ah, Natani, glad you could make it.
Natani: What you want from us?!
Clovis: Can't I request a visit from one of my old clients for a little talk?
Natani: …Bull ****.
Clovis: Oh, I love it when women talk dirty to me!
Natani: Get to the point already!
Clovis: I heard that you were traveling with a white Dragon, correct? What was their name?
Natani: …I think it was Nora.
Clovis: Do you know where she is now?
Natani: I think Trace said that she was sleeping on the Basitin Island.
Clovis: …I have a job for you and your brother. If you pull it off, I'll forget that the two of you even exist.
Natani: …What’s the job?
Clovis: I want you to go back to the Basitin Island, and kill that Dragon.

Tom later stated that it would be easy since Nora can't be killed. How exactly can't she be killed? Is it something within the world, or just simple plot armor?
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#12 Post by Dadrobit »

BadFoMo wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:54 am
Anyway, Tom later stated that it would be easy since Nora can't be killed. How exactly can't she be killed? Is it something within the world, or just simple plot armor?
Nora can't be killed because she's already dead. She went to sleep the same way Littlefoot's mother went to sleep. Tom was just trying to be PG about it. :mrgrin:

Rafe
Council Member

#13 Post by Rafe »

I'm not getting any vibe about any Nora ex machina happening, but you never know when she might show up.

The one thing we know is, whatever state she's in, she's apparently very much aware of what is going on, at least when it comes to other dragons poking around in Trace's brain:

http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/958/

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#14 Post by Schrodinger »

BadFoMo wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:54 am
Schrodinger wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:49 pm
MuonNeutrino wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:48 pmComic for September 23rd, 2017
I too enjoy getting lore. It makes it seem like there's more to the world than what we've seen so far. It also gives us something to talk about; like when it says “can only cast one spell” does that mean it could only cast (for example) Squirrel Transformation on Target, or it's only good for one shot?

Also, do the Mana Stones act like batteries (meaning that you could unwrap the rod and replace the Mana Stones when needed), or are they part of the item?
Going back to the D&D comparison for a moment. Magical items can only be constructed by powerful spellcasters with the correct abilities, materials and spells. Wands, belts, staves, rings, weapons, etc. can all have a magical effect woven into them but they can only do that one thing and cannot be changed once created.
Most are not restricted by class so it's entirely possible for the burly warrior to throw fireballs around X amount of times per day if his glowing sword allows him to.

Wands in particular have some extra caveats, they are sticks preloaded with a single spell that can only be cast a limited amount of times before it loses all power and must be replaced entirely. In Twokinds however we know that mana crystals act as batteries for spells so it's entirely possible for a rod, like the artifact shown, to be crafted to cast a single spell at a high level indefinitely so long as your supply of stones holds out.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

GaySailors
Merchant
Fav. Twokinds Character: Alaric :D

#15 Post by GaySailors »

I mean, it hasn't ever been said dragons aren't immortal, and considering how long they can live I wouldn't question it.

The reason I was skeptical on the rape thing is because as much as Clovis hates Natani, hes still a she, he wouldn't be getting any pleasure of doing it himself, unless he just gets off to that kinda stuff.
I can see him ordering others to do so, but not himself unless he got his body back. Speaking of which...

Theres no way hes doing this because he wants his body back. He wants revenge, nothing more. As far as he knows, Natani and Zen had nothing to do directly with the curse. He probably just figured that with the war going on it'd be easy to find and them. Them accidentally running across Nora and changing his sex certainly wasn't intentional, but he still probably blames them for it anyways, I don't think he'd try to get them to reverse it.

We know that Keidren (especially wolves) generally view women as weaker, so I can see him getting exposed and losing his status because of it rather than being killed as an end to it all.
It'd fit, but honestly, I'd prefer to see Keith and/or Zen pop an RKO on him or something :grin: