Comic for September 6th, 2017

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

Re: Comic for September 6th, 2017

#31 Post by CrRAR »

BadJoke wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:32 pm Now Natani must feel like being ready to go full "Inglorious [censored]" on that white creep. :natani:
Prepare yourself for *dramatic pause* The Bear... Wolf? :mrgrin:

Sure to be even more thrilling than Sandler!
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#32 Post by aitaituo »

AndreRhineDavis wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:39 pm I don't see why Reni can't go into the memories, listen to the Keidran words, memorise the sounds of the Keidran words, then come out and telepathically say what the sounds were, and then people there can translate for her. I mean, that's effectively what she did with the word "Clovis". She has no *concept* of "Clovis", she went in to the wolf's memories and heard the *sound* of the word "Clovis" a lot, and then was able to telepathically say that she heard that sound.

But I guess that would ruin the plot...
Try transcribing a Chinese film. There's a reason people say foreign languages sound like "bar bar bar" or "ching chong wing wong" or like drunk people mumbling and it's not because they actually sounds like any of that.

Shockwave07
Apprentice

#33 Post by Shockwave07 »

Gotta admit, seeing the explaination on what Reni is trying to say makes the scene just that much better! Plus Trace and Flora's reactions!

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#34 Post by SpottedKitty »

aitaituo wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:49 am Try transcribing a Chinese film. There's a reason people say foreign languages sound like "bar bar bar" or "ching chong wing wong" or like drunk people mumbling and it's not because they actually sounds like any of that.
And a large part of that is because Chinese languages (yes, that is plural) are tonal — the tone of the word-sound is part of the meaning, unlike Western languages that come from the same root as English, where it doesn't matter as much, if at all. The difference isn't easy to get used to, until you develop an ear for the way the tones work you're going to have a lot of "hovercraft full of eels" moments.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

Cyon
Templar GrandMaster

#35 Post by Cyon »

Schrodinger wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:53 am
Candycat wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:04 am So like. Is Clovis still under Nora's spell's effect? Or did Brahn fix that for... him? I was kinda hoping for a bwom-y Clovis. :|
The wolf terrorist wouldn't know and by extension neither would Reni. Whether or not Clovis still has that spell in effect is still up in the air.
Reni and Nora have definitely interacted before, so if the former decides to ask for information from her we'd get a clear answer.
SpottedKitty wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:34 am
aitaituo wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:49 am Try transcribing a Chinese film. There's a reason people say foreign languages sound like "bar bar bar" or "ching chong wing wong" or like drunk people mumbling and it's not because they actually sounds like any of that.
And a large part of that is because Chinese languages (yes, that is plural) are tonal — the tone of the word-sound is part of the meaning, unlike Western languages that come from the same root as English, where it doesn't matter as much, if at all. The difference isn't easy to get used to, until you develop an ear for the way the tones work you're going to have a lot of "hovercraft full of eels" moments.
Learnt something new today then! Thanks
Who even looks at signatures anyways?

Multitasking is just a way to be less efficient at two different things simultaneously

Furcode: FCWp5ad A- C->+ D H+ M- P? R++ T++ W? Z- Sm# RL- a- cl++ d+ e- f h* i++ j? p- sm-

Ecthudan
Citizen

#36 Post by Ecthudan »

Reni's speaking "attempt" must be one of the funniest things I've seen from this comic in a while. Also, it's nice to finally gain some insight into how dragons communicate and what the limitations of telepathy are. And the name of the culprit has finally been revealed. That's going to be interesting.
AndreRhineDavis wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:39 pm I don't see why Reni can't go into the memories, listen to the Keidran words, memorise the sounds of the Keidran words, then come out and telepathically say what the sounds were, and then people there can translate for her. I mean, that's effectively what she did with the word "Clovis". She has no *concept* of "Clovis", she went in to the wolf's memories and heard the *sound* of the word "Clovis" a lot, and then was able to telepathically say that she heard that sound.

But I guess that would ruin the plot...
Look, I speak six languages, some better than others. I have also dabbled in other languages before, without actually putting in the effort to learn them. It's not that easy to memorize things that are said in a language you're not familiar with, especially if spoken quickly. Even if Reni were to try, the results would probably be so mangled as to be unrecognizable to a native Keidran speaker like Natani. There are too many variables that play into what separates a language from another. I can say from experience that even speaking Portuguese, a language very similar to Spanish, it can be hard at times to understand a Spanish sentence that is spoken quickly, let alone to accurately memorize and repeat it afterwards.

I doubt she would recognize Clovis as a name, though. When listening to a foreign language, separating names from normal everyday words is practically impossible. It just seems to be a word they said a lot, which is why Reni was able to memorize it. Her somehow recognizing it as a name is perhaps the least realistic part of this, unless she's aware that Clovis is an actual name and simply assumed that it was also a name in Keidran.

HiseyLeSnake
Traveler

#37 Post by HiseyLeSnake »

NiWo21k wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:59 am
MuonNeutrino wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:59 am DUN DUN DUNNNNNN!
Why isnt there a button for a soundeffect direktly under that panel where its revealed - i think nearly everyone had this in his head when we see "Clovis" and Natanis reaction :wink:

And Reni should leave it with speaking out lout, not only does it hurt but it also looks like she is choking on it and she will die in the next seconds with her eyes popping out.

But i find it intersting that Natani directly adresses her on the speech part. So she is getting comfortable near dragons or was it really just that big of curiousity why this makes no sense in the first place for her.
i came to the forums to type the very same phrase lol

TorqueEffect
Apprentice

#38 Post by TorqueEffect »

Candycat wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:04 am So like. Is Clovis still under Nora's spell's effect? Or did Brahn fix that for... him? I was kinda hoping for a bwom-y Clovis. :|
I hope it's still a "bwom-y" Clovis as well. :P

I can't imagine Nora's dragon magic can be easily reversed.

ZeroJinKui
Banned
Banned

#39 Post by ZeroJinKui »

Ddraig wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:29 pmReference The Dragon Masquerade for more. Unsure how much will be revealed in the main comic.
dragon masquerade?

what is that?
"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#40 Post by Dadrobit »

ZeroJinKui wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:36 am
Ddraig wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:29 pmReference The Dragon Masquerade for more. Unsure how much will be revealed in the main comic.
dragon masquerade?

what is that?
A side-comic Tom made a few years back. Used to be that you had to purchase it individually, however he recently made it available for viewing for anyone who is a Patreon supporter.

ZeroJinKui
Banned
Banned

#41 Post by ZeroJinKui »

Dadrobit wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:28 pmA side-comic Tom made a few years back. Used to be that you had to purchase it individually, however he recently made it available for viewing for anyone who is a Patreon supporter.
ah, well i can't really spare any money, if i could, i'd be supporting a few patreons, backing projects on kickstarter, and donating to charity and the like.

so... eh, i guess i won't be reading that, sadly.
"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax