Comic for July 19, 2017: Carver's True Nature

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

Re: Comic for July 19, 2017: Carver's True Nature

#16 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Funny thing about this, in hindsight Tom actually gave us a *bunch* of clues in the previous two comics as to what was actually going on. A few people noted one or another of them, but I don't think anyone put together all of them.

First, and most obvious, the face markings. They're definitely reminiscent of a fox, and while Tom hasn't used them in the comic before he *has* used them in a colored sketch from earlier this year. This is the clue I picked up on; I was wondering to myself if this was a fox under an illusion.

I missed the second one, though, which was Raine's 'huh', because I had forgotten she had previously seen through Natani/Zen's illusion. At the time I thought she was maybe looking at something behind him, half-jokingly wondering to myself if maybe ms nibbly actually *was* a baby dragon and was about to pounce on him or something. After the next comic I put it down to her thinking about the situation, but in hindsight it ought to have been possible to connect it with her ability to see through illusions and speculation that it was a fox in disguise.

The third one, though, is a bit more subtle. Carver says "Lots of folk looking for wolves these days. Especially... certain wolves. In other words, *there's a particular wolf in group B that he recognizes and wants*. I did note his statement, and in conjunction with thinking he was a disguised fox I was half-wondering if he was another brotherhood assassin sent after Sythe. In hindsight, though, that doesn't fit.

The critical point is that he recognizes someone from group B as a particular target, yet he *also* knows about the events in Edinmire. This rules out *two* possibilities. First, he can't be another brotherhood assassin sent after them because he wouldn't know what was going on in Edinmire. Second, he can't be an actual human bounty hunter/etc from Edinmire, because then he wouldn't be able to recognize anyone from group B since they *aren't* actually from Edinmire.

So, what group knows about the events in Edinmire, might employ an illusion-disguised keidran, would be likely to use powerful magical artifacts rather than casting spells directly, and has some sort of history with any of the group B wolves? In hindsight, there's only really one candidate.

This was a really neat series of comics here. Well done, Tom!

Edit:
amenon wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:54 pmIf Raine's ability is somehow unique, and not just very unusual / a manifestation of having absolute assloads of latent talent, then it's massively too convenient, both now, and earlier with Zen, and will require some kind of justification beyond 'the plot demanded it.' (Much like her's/Euchre's transformation ability. I guess if they are unique, they could at least be part of the same package.)
Honestly, I'm not too fussed about Raine having this ability. If *any* of the characters are going to exhibit inexplicable 'wild magic' type abilities, it's going to be Raine, given her background. Other characters are powerful or skilled mages, but Raine's the one who's the impossible mixed-race child of a human powerful enough to be Grand Templar and a Keidran who exhibits all sorts of unique abilities. Her mixed heritage alone would be enough to make her magic acting differently somewhat plausible for me, and then you crank in the power, and more importantly unique abilities, of her parents and I think it's reasonable enough that she's got some unusual abilities.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

Re: Comic for July 14, 2017: Carver's True Nature

#17 Post by Dadrobit »

amenon wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:54 pm
That's an awesome call to have almost made :o I'll give you like 80% credit.

Why thank you. I'll take a B. :mrgrin:
amenon wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:54 pm Okay, so this one kicked my brain into gear.

Spoilers for TDM:
Spoiler!
First thought: This is probably indirect confirmation that Clovis' new trinket has to do with undoing the curse on him (to exactly nobody's surprise.)

Second thought: Why does Clovis know where to look for Zen?

Alternatively, Clovis could have some completely independent way of keeping track of them, and could have even felt the momentary activation of the link the previous night. Also feels somewhat unlikely, but not impossible.
Response with spoilers from TDM
Spoiler!
I think the aforementioned points I left in there are all potentially related.

So in the comic when Nora curses Clovis to be a woman it's stated that "Whatever Nora did broke the link between him and us."

Now with Nora more or less out of the picture, and with the amulet Clovis received undoubtedly being a reversal on whatever she did to him in the first place, it may just as well restore his link to them as well as turn him back into a man. Throw in the shackle potentially subduing any anti-Clovis magic Nora placed on Zen, and he may very well be vulnerable to spying on through a restored back door link.

I think it might also make sense that Zen would be the target here for Clovis. He was the "soul-anchor" if you will of the spell, so his connection to Clovis may secretly be stronger. Not to mention Clovis may believe that by taking out Zen, Natani may fall as well if he doesn't consider that Natani can rebuild and live without Zen.

As for Nibbly being a spy... I mean... Maybe? There was plenty of foreshadowing early on in her arrival, but after all this time, I think it would just be a bit silly. If she is though, does that mean we're going to have to sit through a squirrel redemption arc where Sythe learns to forgive her after she's released from the Templar's grasp? :mrgrin:

Seriously though, I'm holding out hope that she just stays as an adorable sidekick, I just don't think she needs complicating.
amenon wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:54 pmProbably covered in a previous thread by somebody, but I'm assuming the barrier generator is, in fact, physically inside the barrier, and that's why Carver is distracting them while (presumably) backup arrives.
That's the going theory.
amenon wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:54 pmNot spoilers for TDM:If Raine's ability is somehow unique, and not just very unusual / a manifestation of having absolute assloads of latent talent, then it's massively too convenient, both now, and earlier with Zen, and will require some kind of justification beyond 'the plot demanded it.' (Much like her's/Euchre's transformation ability. I guess if they are unique, they could at least be part of the same package.)
So I actually brought that up in passing a few years back.

Her True Sight Ex Machina is miles away too convenient, (she can see Zen while he's under the human guise, but when he ghosts himself and totally leaves the area, she had no idea? What?) and it's part of why I didn't make the call earlier; I was really hoping it was something that was going to be swept away as a loose end until we got some really good explanation for it.

I'm really hoping it's not related to her transformation heritage. She may be able to transform perfectly, (except she can't without tons of help) but that's not precedent imho to be able to be able to passively detect illusions without the use of counter magic while being a mana-less keidran herself. Too much Mary Sue for me thank you very much!
CrRAR wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:02 am
Dadrobit wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:05 pm Damnit... I almost called this...
I too just thought I was too far out in left field at the time. Tom's a verry, verry sneaky sir.
Awww, now I wanna watch that movie again... :mrgrin:

Sage Asuka
Teacup Kitsune

#18 Post by Sage Asuka »

-sliiiiiiiiiiides back in-
Well hello there Carver. Didn't see this twist but definitely looking forward to it. His fox form is very well designed, especially side by side with the human disguise.
Image Image Image Image

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#19 Post by Bellhead »

Okay, so.. After reading what y'all have said so far, I think there are two more possibilities that has not been stated yet.

Nibbly IS Carver. It would explain how he knew where they would be at that exact point in time, and where she inexplicably vanished off to.

That, or maybe Nibbly is the shield generator, as an inanimate summoned creature, under Carver's control. Something just doesn't sit quite right about that squirrel... Nothing ever really did. No creature of nature would be that friendly with a spear pointed in its face.

Also, Clovis is definitely coming back, no way around it now. Not with what we saw with Brahn back in town, and DEFINITELY not with what Carver just said. I just hope Zen can get to Nat before Clovis gets to him, trapped where he is.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

meinf

#20 Post by meinf »

Spoilers for TDM:

Spoiler!
First thought: This is probably indirect confirmation that Clovis' new trinket has to do with undoing the curse on him (to exactly nobody's surprise.)
  • Why did Clovis not act against the Magi Bros after TDM? Because he probably (incorrectly, I think) assumes that Nora clued Natani in on the deal, making it mutually assured destruction
  • Why is he free to act now? Because shouting CLOVIS IS A GIRL isn't going to work anymore
First and a halfth thought: Well, maybe being in the guild protected them, as the page kinda suggests?
  • Doesn't fly because Clovis had no compunctions about acting against them during TDM itself. The only thing that changed was the curse.

• It now seems overwhelmingly likely that Nibbly is, in fact, one of Brahn's daughter's minions
  • Related thought: We specifically saw the cat look in on Natani/Keith, which may or may not be a coincidence.
  • But why would Brahn and Clovis be sharing information about this? How could that come up? Feels a little iffy. Possible, but does not seem like a natural assumption to me unless there's something I'm missing.
  • So perhaps Nibbly belongs to some keidran mage instead, affiliated with either Clovis directly, or the guild (to keep tabs on Zen, for his Last Chance mission.) (Automatic guess: Carver himself.)
  • Alternatively, Clovis could have some completely independent way of keeping track of them, and could have even felt the momentary activation of the link the previous night. Also feels somewhat unlikely, but not impossible.

Chiling thought: Clovis is a very credible threat to Zen and Natani. Tom, you officially have me worried.
Spoiler!
First, Nibbly seems more "alive" than other Brahn's daughter's minions. So I think not.
Second, Brahn also saw group B without Zen http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/600/. But this also seems speculative.

NiWo21k
Merchant
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#21 Post by NiWo21k »

Bellhead wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:19 am Nibbly IS Carver. It would explain how he knew where they would be at that exact point in time, and where she inexplicably vanished off to.
This theory has two problems in my eyes - First i think Raine would have seen it earlier, i mean if his disguise would be that perfect then why would he now have one that Raine could see through so easy. And Second: He said that he knew that one of the best spots to look for fleeing wolves or other fugitives was the hot spring, so for me it looks like he was hiding there for a while (ok one part that could collide with this theroy is that he immedatly recognizes Zen but he also could have watched them over the night).

Also why would he strike now, there where so many ambush possibilities when they were on the road, every time when they stopped. Ok, i will admit this could be explained that the hot spring has bigger magic power and the part that creates the shield can be maintained better.
Bellhead wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:19 am That, or maybe Nibbly is the shield generator, as an inanimate summoned creature, under Carver's control. Something just doesn't sit quite right about that squirrel... Nothing ever really did. No creature of nature would be that friendly with a spear pointed in its face.
Could be but wouldnt make sense - again why now and not earlier.

But you are right that nothing seems quite right about :squirrel: But we dont know if she didnt slip out when they all where out - we have seen her so many times vanishing so i have more the feeling we will learn who really is controlling her, because i have somehow the feeling that she isnt someone, but more the pet of someone who will come to the rescue now, or help in some way without really revealing him/her self.
Just an average internet user and :natani: & :raine: fan

My head is full of ideas, but i cant get them on paper - Please brain start thinking about important stuff.

Avatar: a reinterpretation of my own character by Claarin

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#22 Post by BadFoMo »

Just a quick little update for historical purposes, we have an updated header which reads;
Comic for July 19, 2017: Carver's True Nature

I'm currently at San Diego Comic-Con! Visit booth 2635 if you're attending! Comics will resume next week.

Anyway, to give my post a little more relevance,
Carver wrote:Well, shoot. To see through my magic… hm. What an unusual girl. Boss might be interested in you.
Assuming that he is working for Clovis, what you think he's going to do with Raine or convince her to work for him (maybe he'll dangle her having her Human form back in front of her like a carrot on a stick [making her walk exact same path her mother walked])?
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

steelabjur
Council Member

#23 Post by steelabjur »

Dadrobit wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:35 am
That's an awesome call to have almost made :o I'll give you like 80% credit.

Why thank you. I'll take a B. :mrgrin:
amenon wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:54 pm Okay, so this one kicked my brain into gear.

Spoilers for TDM:
Spoiler!

Alternatively, Clovis could have some completely independent way of keeping track of them, and could have even felt the momentary activation of the link the previous night. Also feels somewhat unlikely, but not impossible.
Response with spoilers from TDM
Spoiler!
I think the aforementioned points I left in there are all potentially related.

So in the comic when Nora curses Clovis to be a woman it's stated that "Whatever Nora did broke the link between him and us."

Now with Nora more or less out of the picture, and with the amulet Clovis received undoubtedly being a reversal on whatever she did to him in the first place, it may just as well restore his link to them as well as turn him back into a man. Throw in the shackle potentially subduing any anti-Clovis magic Nora placed on Zen, and he may very well be vulnerable to spying on through a restored back door link.

I think it might also make sense that Zen would be the target here for Clovis. He was the "soul-anchor" if you will of the spell, so his connection to Clovis may secretly be stronger. Not to mention Clovis may believe that by taking out Zen, Natani may fall as well if he doesn't consider that Natani can rebuild and live without Zen.

As for Nibbly being a spy... I mean... Maybe? There was plenty of foreshadowing early on in her arrival, but after all this time, I think it would just be a bit silly. If she is though, does that mean we're going to have to sit through a squirrel redemption arc where Sythe learns to forgive her after she's released from the Templar's grasp? :mrgrin:

Seriously though, I'm holding out hope that she just stays as an adorable sidekick, I just don't think she needs complicating.
amenon wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:54 pmProbably covered in a previous thread by somebody, but I'm assuming the barrier generator is, in fact, physically inside the barrier, and that's why Carver is distracting them while (presumably) backup arrives.
That's the going theory.
amenon wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:54 pmNot spoilers for TDM:If Raine's ability is somehow unique, and not just very unusual / a manifestation of having absolute assloads of latent talent, then it's massively too convenient, both now, and earlier with Zen, and will require some kind of justification beyond 'the plot demanded it.' (Much like her's/Euchre's transformation ability. I guess if they are unique, they could at least be part of the same package.)

Her True Sight Ex Machina is miles away too convenient, (she can see Zen while he's under the human guise, but when he ghosts himself and totally leaves the area, she had no idea? What?) and it's part of why I didn't make the call earlier; I was really hoping it was something that was going to be swept away as a loose end until we got some really good explanation for it.

I'm really hoping it's not related to her transformation heritage. She may be able to transform perfectly, (except she can't without tons of help) but that's not precedent imho to be able to be able to passively detect illusions without the use of counter magic while being a mana-less keidran herself. Too much Mary Sue for me thank you very much!
CrRAR wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:02 am
I too just thought I was too far out in left field at the time. Tom's a verry, verry sneaky sir.
Awww, now I wanna watch that movie again... :mrgrin:
Regarding not calling out Zen when he ghosted, remember she had just been cut by Red and passed out not one panel later after he did so, she could have been too bothered/distracted by her wound to call it to her companions attention.

Also her and Euchre's True Transformation isn't illusion-based but actual physical transformation, to the point that Euchre could have a child with a Human.

Raine's illusion detection ability could be a gift from her mother, who was a powerful magic-user and former Grand Templar. Being able to see through illusion would be a useful gift for the child of someone that powerful, especially one with a secret like Raine's.

amenon
Grand Templar

#24 Post by amenon »

Dadrobit wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:35 am Response with spoilers from TDM
Spoiler!

Response to response with spoilers from TDM
Spoiler!
I would definitely expect 'Nora breaking the link' and 'Nora changing Clovis' to be two separate things, because they don't feel like the sort of things that would be related.

That said, I would expect Clovis to be able to restore the link, if he needed to, probably provided physical access to one or both of the Magi Bros. He made the thing in the first place, so yeah. But I don't think it's something that would be automatically restored. (Would he actually want to / have any reason to? Unclear. He didn't seem to get a lot of use out of it the first time.)
As for Nibbly, I'm afraid you're gonna get your heart broken. It's not even subtext :grin:

(I always figured it had to do with Brahn, because Nibbly shows up after Brahn sees Group B and lets them go. But of course, she also shows up after Zen shows up, and in retrospect, maybe the guild became the better guess when she freed him...)

Dadrobit wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:35 am

See the part of mine I bolded; that's what I think it is, and if so, I'm okay with it. (Quoth carver: "To see through my magic... hm.") So seeing through illusions would reduce to a classic power-level question, and Raine very justifiably does have that, considering her mother. (And possibly her father, though I don't think we know anything about whether Euchre is particularly strong?) She even previously accidentally teleported the group, despite being under magic suppression.

A side-thought: Carver's confidence might even imply that he's specifically the go-to guy for illusions, and possibly responsible for some/all of the Edinmire work. Though either way works, since Brahn would have simply made sure that nobody who could see through them would be in position to disturb the plan.

A side-side-thought: If that is how illusions work, Natani really dodged a bullet here. Doesn't matter what the plan was, there is no way on Earth he wouldn't have run into Trace :P
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

ZeroJinKui
Banned
Banned

#25 Post by ZeroJinKui »

well, didn't see that coming.

but what is this about a guild and everything?

i know i have a tendency to forget things sometimes, but... trying as hard as i can, i can't recall any guild hunting down zen, and i assume natani?

could someone fill me in... what the hell am i missing? :?
"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax

Lordadmiral Drake
Master

#26 Post by Lordadmiral Drake »

ZeroJinKui wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:36 pm well, didn't see that coming.

but what is this about a guild and everything?

i know i have a tendency to forget things sometimes, but... trying as hard as i can, i can't recall any guild hunting down zen, and i assume natani?

could someone fill me in... what the hell am i missing? :?
Why, the assassins guild of course. Zen and Natani were their most famous operatives, until Natani joined Group A and Zen was captured by Group B
Furcode: FCXcsp2a A C- D H+ M- P- R++ T++ W Z- Sm# RLE a cln d+ e h* i+ j+ p- sm+

I'm a Deviant now

TorqueEffect
Apprentice

#27 Post by TorqueEffect »

Now to speculate on whether Clovis has managed to reverse the "curse" or is he still a hot babe? :P

Hopefully the latter. :mrgreen:

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#28 Post by Dadrobit »

steelabjur wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:08 pm
Regarding not calling out Zen when he ghosted, remember she had just been cut by Red and passed out not one panel later after he did so, she could have been too bothered/distracted by her wound to call it to her companions attention.
Ehhh, I mean, I get that would be pretty distracting, agreed. However, the complete disappearance of the person that you ~know~ is the real mortal enemy in the situation should have been somewhat apparent I would think.
steelabjur wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:08 pmAlso her and Euchre's True Transformation isn't illusion-based but actual physical transformation, to the point that Euchre could have a child with a Human.
Yes, which is why I'm hoping that is not the source of her counter-illusion skill.
steelabjur wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:08 pmRaine's illusion detection ability could be a gift from her mother, who was a powerful magic-user and former Grand Templar. Being able to see through illusion would be a useful gift for the child of someone that powerful, especially one with a secret like Raine's.
If the ability to see through illusions is just a core skill of people with tons of potential magical power, then I have to question why only Raine seems adept in it while Trace has shown himself to have no ability there whatsoever. He has latent power moreso than even Silverlock, yet was completely fooled by the city illusion, (granted, it was cast by a demi-god) as well as the Laura illusion. If latent power allows the ability to just see through illusions, then at the very least Laura should have been a dead giveaway.
amenon wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:30 pm
Spoiler!
I would definitely expect 'Nora breaking the link' and 'Nora changing Clovis' to be two separate things, because they don't feel like the sort of things that would be related.

That said, I would expect Clovis to be able to restore the link, if he needed to, probably provided physical access to one or both of the Magi Bros. He made the thing in the first place, so yeah. But I don't think it's something that would be automatically restored. (Would he actually want to / have any reason to? Unclear. He didn't seem to get a lot of use out of it the first time.)
Response to response to response with spoilers from TDM
Spoiler!
I think it is equally speculative to think that there are separate curses going on here. Neither is the more cromulent theory over the other when considering how a nearly all-powerful dragon would go about revenge. Does it take one instant off-screen step, or two? Furthermore, it's almost arguing semantics when debating weather or not the new amulet will reverse only the gender and then Clovis restores the link, or if the amulet simply does it in a one two punch, (though I hold fast to the latter).

What I will argue over is that Clovis does want the link reestablished. Sure, his investment didn't pay off the first time, but now? Now he can use it for something much more valuable than a mask. He can use it to get vengeance against the two that were instrumental in his "suffering" as a female for the past several years. :mrgrin:

In addition, linking Clovis directly to the party in this manner will bring ample opportunity to establish some immediately relevant exposition for those who haven't read TDM.
As for Nibbly, I'm afraid you're gonna get your heart broken. It's not even subtext :grin:

http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/845/

(I always figured it had to do with Brahn, because Nibbly shows up after Brahn sees Group B and lets them go. But of course, she also shows up after Zen shows up, and in retrospect, maybe the guild became the better guess when she freed him...)
I am 99.99% certain that was just Zen escaping his bonds and framing the squirrel for giggles to get under Sythe's skin. :mrgrin:
amenon wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:30 pm See the part of mine I bolded; that's what I think it is, and if so, I'm okay with it. (Quoth carver: "To see through my magic... hm.") So seeing through illusions would reduce to a classic power-level question, and Raine very justifiably does have that, considering her mother. (And possibly her father, though I don't think we know anything about whether Euchre is particularly strong?) She even previously accidentally teleported the group, despite being under magic suppression.
Even considering her mother, I don't think that's necessarily a good enough reason to give Raine True Sight. Referring back to what I said to Steel earlier in the post, Trace has demonstrated that he has knowledge of illusions to the point of being able to cast them himself, as well as containing more latent power in general than Mary did, yet he completely lacks the ability to identify them himself.

Maybe Raine is the most powerful character in TK. But if that's the case, then I really hope we get to actually see that soon outside of times where she's only conveniently powerful, because otherwise it's just cheesy storytelling.
amenon wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:30 pm A side-thought: Carver's confidence might even imply that he's specifically the go-to guy for illusions, and possibly responsible for some/all of the Edinmire work. Though either way works, since Brahn would have simply made sure that nobody who could see through them would be in position to disturb the plan.
Eh, confident characters in the comic are a dime a dozen and even Zen can cast a good illusion. I think most of his confidence comes from the fact that he's safe behind the barrier. :mrgrin:
amenon wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:30 pm A side-side-thought: If that is how illusions work, Natani really dodged a bullet here. Doesn't matter what the plan was, there is no way on Earth he wouldn't have run into Trace :P
I wish Natani had. Maybe it could have actually set some form of precedent there for powerful enough people just being able to see right through them.

steelabjur
Council Member

#29 Post by steelabjur »

Dadrobit wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:36 am
steelabjur wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:08 pm
Ehhh, I mean, I get that would be pretty distracting, agreed. However, the complete disappearance of the person that you ~know~ is the real mortal enemy in the situation should have been somewhat apparent I would think.
steelabjur wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:08 pmAlso her and Euchre's True Transformation isn't illusion-based but actual physical transformation, to the point that Euchre could have a child with a Human.
Yes, which is why I'm hoping that is not the source of her counter-illusion skill.
steelabjur wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:08 pmRaine's illusion detection ability could be a gift from her mother, who was a powerful magic-user and former Grand Templar. Being able to see through illusion would be a useful gift for the child of someone that powerful, especially one with a secret like Raine's.
If the ability to see through illusions is just a core skill of people with tons of potential magical power, then I have to question why only Raine seems adept in it while Trace has shown himself to have no ability there whatsoever. He has latent power moreso than even Silverlock, yet was completely fooled by the city illusion, (granted, it was cast by a demi-god) as well as the Laura illusion. If latent power allows the ability to just see through illusions, then at the very least Laura should have been a dead giveaway.
Spoiler!

Response to response to response with spoilers from TDM
Spoiler!
I think it is equally speculative to think that there are separate curses going on here. Neither is the more cromulent theory over the other when considering how a nearly all-powerful dragon would go about revenge. Does it take one instant off-screen step, or two? Furthermore, it's almost arguing semantics when debating weather or not the new amulet will reverse only the gender and then Clovis restores the link, or if the amulet simply does it in a one two punch, (though I hold fast to the latter).

What I will argue over is that Clovis does want the link reestablished. Sure, his investment didn't pay off the first time, but now? Now he can use it for something much more valuable than a mask. He can use it to get vengeance against the two that were instrumental in his "suffering" as a female for the past several years. :mrgrin:

In addition, linking Clovis directly to the party in this manner will bring ample opportunity to establish some immediately relevant exposition for those who haven't read TDM.

http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/845/

I am 99.99% certain that was just Zen escaping his bonds and framing the squirrel for giggles to get under Sythe's skin. :mrgrin:
amenon wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:30 pm See the part of mine I bolded; that's what I think it is, and if so, I'm okay with it. (Quoth carver: "To see through my magic... hm.") So seeing through illusions would reduce to a classic power-level question, and Raine very justifiably does have that, considering her mother. (And possibly her father, though I don't think we know anything about whether Euchre is particularly strong?) She even previously accidentally teleported the group, despite being under magic suppression.
Even considering her mother, I don't think that's necessarily a good enough reason to give Raine True Sight. Referring back to what I said to Steel earlier in the post, Trace has demonstrated that he has knowledge of illusions to the point of being able to cast them himself, as well as containing more latent power in general than Mary did, yet he completely lacks the ability to identify them himself.

Maybe Raine is the most powerful character in TK. But if that's the case, then I really hope we get to actually see that soon outside of times where she's only conveniently powerful, because otherwise it's just cheesy storytelling.
amenon wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:30 pm A side-thought: Carver's confidence might even imply that he's specifically the go-to guy for illusions, and possibly responsible for some/all of the Edinmire work. Though either way works, since Brahn would have simply made sure that nobody who could see through them would be in position to disturb the plan.
Eh, confident characters in the comic are a dime a dozen and even Zen can cast a good illusion. I think most of his confidence comes from the fact that he's safe behind the barrier. :mrgrin:
amenon wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:30 pm A side-side-thought: If that is how illusions work, Natani really dodged a bullet here. Doesn't matter what the plan was, there is no way on Earth he wouldn't have run into Trace :P
I wish Natani had. Maybe it could have actually set some form of precedent there for powerful enough people just being able to see right through them.
I was thinking more like an enchantment her mother put on her (like Trace's "curse" on Karen that gave her the ears) rather than a latent ability. If it was an ability though, she probably has had some informal training, which would be an advantage she has over Nat and Trace. Nat is self-taught and Trace doesn't remember anything from that time of his life. They're all still leagues better than Red and his one "spell" though. Then again, Raine's character info states that she "possesses unpredictable magical power" due to the "unusual and unnatural circumstances" of her birth. It could just be a manifestation of that, like accidentally teleporting Team B away from the Wolf raiding party.

I dare say though that Trace, in his current condition and outside of his occasional "fits", is nowhere near the feared magical powerhouse he was during his Grand Templar days and is more on par with the wolf assassin than Brahn and the other Templar. It's obvious he's having to relearn his old skills basically from scratch or make due with make-it-up-as-you-go spellcasting the likes of which Nat uses. The damage he caused his hand so far shows how badly his skills have fallen, I doubt the old Trace would've messed himself up like that and he was pretty deep into black magic.

amenon
Grand Templar

#30 Post by amenon »

Dadrobit wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:36 am If the ability to see through illusions is just a core skill of people with tons of potential magical power, then I have to question why only Raine seems adept in it while Trace has shown himself to have no ability there whatsoever. He has latent power moreso than even Silverlock, yet was completely fooled by the city illusion, (granted, it was cast by a demi-god) as well as the Laura illusion. If latent power allows the ability to just see through illusions, then at the very least Laura should have been a dead giveaway.
Trace's ability in this regard is actually untested so far, apart from the city illusion (but then, that also at least apparently fooled Raine, and it was done by Ephemural/Mary, so... yeah.) [Raine did recognize her mother's magic/presence, though]

There was never any assumption that Laura was physically real. The panel before Trace is reacting to her, she's even depicted glowy and partially ethereal. (She seems to solidify after, but the glowiness is retained.) The question about her is whether the spirit is real, and that seems like an entirely unrelated question.

Dadrobit wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:36 am Response to response to response with spoilers from TDM
Spoiler!

Response to response to response to response with spoilers from TDM
Spoiler!
I'm assuming Nora straight-up cut him out of the link, rather than suppressed it, because why do otherwise? But yeah, it probably won't ultimately matter much, except for your prediction being wrong and mine being right :P

He doesn't need to include himself in the link for vengeance, though, and considering Natani already overpowered him way back when, it's just asking for trouble. Is he that much of a dumb Bond-villain? ... well, maybe :P
Dadrobit wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:36 amTrace has demonstrated that he has knowledge of illusions to the point of being able to cast them himself
Got the rest up top, but what are you thinking of here? Or do you just mean Ye Olde Trace? (He can be assumed to be capable of everything, anyway, so it doesn't really matter.)

Dadrobit wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:36 amMaybe Raine is the most powerful character in TK. But if that's the case, then I really hope we get to actually see that soon outside of times where she's only conveniently powerful, because otherwise it's just cheesy storytelling.
The teleport was one such instance, because given the result they basically could just as well have run. I would not assume 'most powerful'. I'm not sure how well that would run, considering how much of a special snowflake she already is. (Then again, the result of a union between a [sort-of] keidran and a human being especially powerful? It's certainly got some thematics behind it.)

Dadrobit wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:36 amEh, confident characters in the comic are a dime a dozen and even Zen can cast a good illusion. I think most of his confidence comes from the fact that he's safe behind the barrier. :mrgrin:
That wasn't Zen, that was Natani. There's never been any implication that I can recall that Zen knows any magic at all. And Carver's confidence about his illusions doesn't come from being behind the barrier.
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]: