Comic for July 19, 2017: Carver's True Nature

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Warrl
Grand Templar

Re: Comic for July 19, 2017: Carver's True Nature

#31 Post by Warrl »

Here's why I don't have a problem with Raine's Truesight.

1) She has two magically-powerful parents - we don't know how powerful Euchre is in general, but he has Perfect Transformation which is a rare and high-power ability; and of course her mother was Grand Templar.

2) She has very little training in magic. However, "very little" is not "none".

3) She's stretching the truth. When she first saw Carver, she didn't have the glowy yellow eyes we're thinking indicates Truesight is active. Only when she had time to match up what he was claiming against her own observations and knowledge, and realized he was lying, did she get the glow on. In other words, when she recognized cause for suspicion. In the earlier incident, she saw Maren and Red - who often don't get along - standing side by side with bare weapons against Sythe, whom Raine and Maren both like and trust - it didn't add up, so again she had cause for suspicion.

4) Trace not being suspicious of an illusory city, when he's suffering from amnesia and doesn't know where the real city is or what it looks like, is quite understandable. So he wouldn't have had cause to activate Truesight - if he even remembers that he has that power. (Has Trace, in the comic, faced anything that he had reason at the time to suspect was an illusion, that wasn't done by a Mask?)

NiWo21k
Merchant
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#32 Post by NiWo21k »

Warrl wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:21 am 3) She's stretching the truth. When she first saw Carver, she didn't have the glowy yellow eyes we're thinking indicates Truesight is active. Only when she had time to match up what he was claiming against her own observations and knowledge, and realized he was lying, did she get the glow on. In other words, when she recognized cause for suspicion. In the earlier incident, she saw Maren and Red - who often don't get along - standing side by side with bare weapons against Sythe, whom Raine and Maren both like and trust - it didn't add up, so again she had cause for suspicion.
Just something to add to this - hope its ok with you - this time she used this abillity active, knowing she can do it - the first time i think it was more out of the stress of the situation that she unintentionally used it (she just transformed, didnt know how to explain it because nobody knew it and her shackle was broken - she stood under a lot of stress - so everything was on high alert in her body - i think over the course of their travel she slowly tried out to get more control over her magic and is now able to use some of it).
Just an average internet user and :natani: & :raine: fan

My head is full of ideas, but i cant get them on paper - Please brain start thinking about important stuff.

Avatar: a reinterpretation of my own character by Claarin

HiseyLeSnake
Traveler

#33 Post by HiseyLeSnake »

Please bring clovis in on the action! love the character

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

Re: Comic for July 14, 2017: Carver's True Nature

#34 Post by AmigaDragon »

amenon wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:54 pm Okay, so this one kicked my brain into gear.

Spoilers for TDM:
Spoiler!
First thought: This is probably indirect confirmation that Clovis' new trinket has to do with undoing the curse on him (to exactly nobody's surprise.)

Second thought: Why does Clovis know where to look for Zen?

Alternatively, Clovis could have some completely independent way of keeping track of them, and could have even felt the momentary activation of the link the previous night. Also feels somewhat unlikely, but not impossible.
Spoiler!
His curse being dragon magic, I doubt it'll undo his curse but it would give him a good power source to power his gender-masking illusions

Clovis may have agents with the guild who informed him that Zen was sent out and following a group traveling east, then it's just a matter of sending others out westward looking to intercept.
Dadrobit wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:35 amResponse with spoilers from TDM
Spoiler!
I think the aforementioned points I left in there are all potentially related.

So in the comic when Nora curses Clovis to be a woman it's stated that "Whatever Nora did broke the link between him and us."

Now with Nora more or less out of the picture, and with the amulet Clovis received undoubtedly being a reversal on whatever she did to him in the first place, it may just as well restore his link to them as well as turn him back into a man. Throw in the shackle potentially subduing any anti-Clovis magic Nora placed on Zen, and he may very well be vulnerable to spying on through a restored back door link.

I think it might also make sense that Zen would be the target here for Clovis. He was the "soul-anchor" if you will of the spell, so his connection to Clovis may secretly be stronger. Not to mention Clovis may believe that by taking out Zen, Natani may fall as well if he doesn't consider that Natani can rebuild and live without Zen.
Spoiler!
Nora taking a long nap doesn't undo the spell she put on Clovis, nor does the near-depletion of her magic preceding that nap. A broken back-door link is broken and would have to be actively restored, most likely requiring physical contact or at least close proximity. And the magic-blocking nature of the shackle wouldn't restore a back-door link, if anything, it would make it even harder to restore that dragon-severed link

While Zen was the soul-anchor for Natani's repair, I think the back-door was primarily into Natani.

[split out of spoiler as irrelevant status]
As for Nibbly being a spy... I mean... Maybe? There was plenty of foreshadowing early on in her arrival, but after all this time, I think it would just be a bit silly. If she is though, does that mean we're going to have to sit through a squirrel redemption arc where Sythe learns to forgive her after she's released from the Templar's grasp? :mrgrin:

Seriously though, I'm holding out hope that she just stays as an adorable sidekick, I just don't think she needs complicating.
I see no real foreshadowing yet, just some unusual behaviors for a normal squirrel.
amenon wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:54 pmProbably covered in a previous thread by somebody, but I'm assuming the barrier generator is, in fact, physically inside the barrier, and that's why Carver is distracting them while (presumably) backup arrives.
That's the going theory.
If the barrier generator is inside, it would have to have some start delay for Carver to have set it and gotten out, or it would need some kind of remote activator/deactivator. Also, being inside would make it accessible to tampering by its prisoners (giving Carver one reason to distract them). Nibs' absence may may merely be her curiously following him out before delayed activation, or investigating the noise of setting up an external generator (Maren, held down by sleeping Raine and with her mere human ears wouldn't hear it, assuming she even stayed awake on watch).

amenon wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:54 pmNot spoilers for TDM:If Raine's ability is somehow unique, and not just very unusual / a manifestation of having absolute assloads of latent talent, then it's massively too convenient, both now, and earlier with Zen, and will require some kind of justification beyond 'the plot demanded it.' (Much like her's/Euchre's transformation ability. I guess if they are unique, they could at least be part of the same package.)
I see no reason for Raine's sight to be unique, just perhaps a bit rare. She does have latent talent as well as loads of power, evidenced by accidentally teleporting the group (a short distance) while wearing the suppressing shackle. Since she manifests this apparent innate true-sight ability in keidran form while not possessing mana stones (both now and when Zen attacked), can we assume that Euchre's shape-shift also does not require mana stones to change to human?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

steelabjur
Council Member

Re: Comic for July 14, 2017: Carver's True Nature

#35 Post by steelabjur »

AmigaDragon wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:01 am
amenon wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:54 pmNot spoilers for TDM:If Raine's ability is somehow unique, and not just very unusual / a manifestation of having absolute assloads of latent talent, then it's massively too convenient, both now, and earlier with Zen, and will require some kind of justification beyond 'the plot demanded it.' (Much like her's/Euchre's transformation ability. I guess if they are unique, they could at least be part of the same package.)
I see no reason for Raine's sight to be unique, just perhaps a bit rare. She does have latent talent as well as loads of power, evidenced by accidentally teleporting the group (a short distance) while wearing the suppressing shackle. Since she manifests this apparent innate true-sight ability in keidran form while not possessing mana stones (both now and when Zen attacked), can we assume that Euchre's shape-shift also does not require mana stones to change to human?
I don't recall Euchre having a mana stone the one time we saw him use True Transformation in Raine's flashback...

ZeroJinKui
Banned
Banned

#36 Post by ZeroJinKui »

Lordadmiral Drake wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:38 pmWhy, the assassins guild of course. Zen and Natani were their most famous operatives, until Natani joined Group A and Zen was captured by Group B
ok... but was that ever really expanded upon?

cause again, i am trying my best to remember, and i don't remember much about that.

i suppose there is another comic out there that i somehow missed that explains the guild more?
"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax

Lordadmiral Drake
Master

#37 Post by Lordadmiral Drake »

In the comic, not so much.

I think The Dragon Masquerade has more on that, but I haven't read that
Furcode: FCXcsp2a A C- D H+ M- P- R++ T++ W Z- Sm# RLE a cln d+ e h* i+ j+ p- sm+

I'm a Deviant now

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#38 Post by SpottedKitty »

IIRC the "most famous" bit is mostly Zen and Natani blowing their own trumpets — look back to the time Natani was explaining to Keith the link he has with Zen. We've no idea what the rest of the guild really thought about the situation, but apparently it made a great pulling line in taverns... :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery