Comic for July 8, 2017: Carver

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

meinf

Re: Comic for July 8, 2017: Carver

#46 Post by meinf »

Ddraig wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:42 pm compression wave in air strikes magic wall, compresses magic wall, causes compression wave in magic wall, compression wave in magic wall strikes air on far side and same thing happens again
With losses (possibly with heavy losses). I didn't speak about total sound isolation:
> group B hears "applause" from a fairly long distance

But nevertheless, enough about this, just magic.

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#47 Post by SpottedKitty »

Lightice wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:21 am People are focusing on a completely wrong thing, here. Haven't any of you seen the most important thing on this page? It's that -- French language apparently exists in the world of Twokinds! :o
Either that or Carver's metaphorically playing a tiny little violin to annoy Group B even more and get right up their collective nostril. :twisted: :roll: :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#48 Post by Schrodinger »

If I may cite the Stephen King novel I keep referring to, Under the Dome, the dome itself was a forcefield that was not airtight but instead heavily restricted airflow. Characters on the outside could converse with those inside just fine but there was some minor distortion. Something akin to a low hum.

Eventually carbon dioxide built up in the small town and the survivors inside began to suffocate. This barrier is much smaller so asphyxiation would occur sooner.

It says something that this is the method Carver takes to disable Team B, very underhanded.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Rafe
Council Member

#49 Post by Rafe »

I thought someone would have brought this up by now, what with all the wild speculation opportunities we have here - dragons appearing, Raine getting some control over her magic somehow, Mrs. Nibbly turning out to have abilities well beyond the average squirrel - but there is one proven, almost sure thing that the group has available to them that they haven't thought of trying yet: Zen's ability to communicate with Natani.

Most of the group didn't seem to believe Zen's story when he told them originally, so it may happen as a last-ditch thing. It also might happen inadvertently, as a result of Raine wanting to take the magic-suppression device to change form again, but it seems more plausible than anything of the other possibilities right now.

If Zen can get through, and Natani can convince Trace, with his greatly enhanced new resources, including a dragon right there at his estate, help could show up pretty quickly.

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

#50 Post by Cosmacelf »

Rafe wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:16 pm I thought someone would have brought this up by now, what with all the wild speculation opportunities we have here - dragons appearing, Raine getting some control over her magic somehow, Mrs. Nibbly turning out to have abilities well beyond the average squirrel - but there is one proven, almost sure thing that the group has available to them that they haven't thought of trying yet: Zen's ability to communicate with Natani.

Most of the group didn't seem to believe Zen's story when he told them originally, so it may happen as a last-ditch thing. It also might happen inadvertently, as a result of Raine wanting to take the magic-suppression device to change form again, but it seems more plausible than anything of the other possibilities right now.

If Zen can get through, and Natani can convince Trace, with his greatly enhanced new resources, including a dragon right there at his estate, help could show up pretty quickly.

Hey! I did bring this up two days ago in post 11 on this thread. I said they could unshackle Zen to contact Natani. But I was ignored as usual. Sniff.

Rafe
Council Member

#51 Post by Rafe »

Cosmacelf wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:36 am ...Hey! I did bring this up two days ago in post 11 on this thread. I said they could unshackle Zen to contact Natani. But I was ignored as usual. Sniff.
True. I assumed someone had probably already pointed this out.

We've had Zen - Natani communication before,of course, but this is the kind of thing that might bring groups A and B together, since they are apparently very close to each other. Natani and Zen know this, but I don't remember seeing either of them mention this to anyone else. You'd think that Natani would be trying to find Zen at the earliest opportunity, knowing that he's so close, or at least trying to let the others (at least those she trusts) know what's going on. Lots of serious business is happening of course, which might interfere. And speaking of business, I can see Zen finally making contact Natani, just as she's getting busy with Keith. Lots of opportunities for embarrassment here.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#52 Post by aitaituo »

Warrl wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:24 am Have we seen them try to put anything that is neither magic nor person nor being held/worn by a person through the barrier?

It would be amusing if the barrier is anti-magic and anti-personnel but has no effect on wind or thrown objects.
The dust and movement of the trees on the previous page strongly suggests it's a truly impermeable barrier.

Darekun
Traveler

#53 Post by Darekun »

Dadrobit wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:46 pmRight, so when considering this case, due to the thickness, (or lack there of) you would want to look at the ~density~ of the object to determine what is making it through.
Hunh, and here I thought elasticity mattered. Like a lead sheet vs a sheet of crystal of similar density.

RowanEx
Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#54 Post by RowanEx »

Nobody noticed that Raine said "huh" because she was aware that Carver wasn't the one managing the buble?
~~~()~~~
Rowan Ex

furcode: FFfm2adfrw A C- D H++ M- P R+ T+++ W Z- Sm RLU a- clmn++ d- e- f+ h+ iwf++ j++ p- sm-

BadJoke
Templar GrandMaster

#55 Post by BadJoke »

Personally I am quite pleased by that character right now.
Finally a templar who doesn't beat around the bush with some convulated plan and get to the point: a simple plan + lots magic (they're master of it, would be time to actually use it for something concrete) = easy win.
It's also a view of a low-level evilness we never saw before in the comic. A nice reminder that evil isn't exclusive to the elites, or justified by some greater plan.

Okay. I know, this creepy dude doesn't look like sophisticated like the templars we've seen until now, but remember we've seen only a few of them, and the top ones (that and a few acolytes who weren't that useful). We never had a chance to get an eye on the masses in the templar ranks and see what they must look like. Also, even if the vast majority doesn't look like that, there's always a black sheep...
And let's not forget that our dear templars are in fact Nazis with magic. So is it really that absurd to witness sadistic psychos among them? You know, like their actual blue haired grand master were at the time...

Now, I'm left wondering how they're going to win against him... I hope it won't be just Nibbly nibbling him. I want something more intense, with Raine building a plan on the spot... And if they don't beat him I really want to see him get back to the city all proud of his victory to show his grand master his bruised prisoners. That would end sooo well for him.
Criminals are less dangerous than virtuous people: they kill less.

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

#56 Post by IHeartMaeve »

RowanEx wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:37 am Nobody noticed that Raine said "huh" because she was aware that Carver wasn't the one managing the buble?
Um... I'm not sure that's the case here. But I guess we'll find out in the next page or so.
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

Foxx Trotter
Council Member

#57 Post by Foxx Trotter »

I just wanted to pass along some overall comic related news. TwoKinds has won a 2016 URSA Major Award for Best Anthropomorphic Graphic Story. It also won last year for 2015 as well as back in 2011 for the 2010 webcomic pages...for the n00bs who weren't aware. Congrats! :D
Videre videnda.

steelabjur
Council Member

#58 Post by steelabjur »

RowanEx wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:37 am Nobody noticed that Raine said "huh" because she was aware that Carver wasn't the one managing the buble?
steelabjur wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:43 am You know, Raine mentioned that this sort of barrier at that size requires a lot (emphasis hers) of magic and probably requires something actively maintaining it in the last comic. Red's "spell" might actually be useful in this case, suck up all the local magic and puff it away. :P

Seriously though, this Carver guy doesn't seem to be concentrating on maintaining the barrier (at least not in a way I'd expect from what Raine suggested), so who/what is?
Back on page two. ;)

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#59 Post by SirJahar »

... Have we discussed the possibility of an enchanted object causing the dome?
It would leave Carver free to gloat, and give our missfits here a fighting chance.

MY IDEA:
Carver has asphyxiation dome charm-thing on him. Sets it up, tells it what mana source to draw from, probably the spring, and backs up, then turns it on.

It's probably inside with them at the bottom of the pool, fitting with the theme of this team of villains being kinda incompetent.

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#60 Post by BadFoMo »

I have a really moronic and unfounded theory I would like to submit. After seeing Loren.Ipsum.2’s panel shuffle, I have this weird idea that Carver is actually Clovis. Apparently that Flawless Crystal Amulet
A. not only turned him back to male, but also turned him Human for the longer lifespan and no need for Mana Stones to use magic.
B. gave him the ability to shape shift.
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!