GURPS Twokinds

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Darekun
Traveler

GURPS Twokinds

#1 Post by Darekun »

I'm thinking of statting Twokinds in GURPS. A friend and I were discussing Twokinds, and since we play GURPS together we naturally slipped into its terminology, which got my gears turning. How many GURPSists do we have here? How many are interested in statting setting and races and characters and whatnot? :)

I have some things half-statted, but of course this is by no means a finished product.

Magic
First, some notes on magic. Magic both is where we happened to start, and is usually painful to port to GURPS.

In general, I'm assuming the default GURPS magic system("Hawthorne magic"). However, Euchre's innate Flawless Transformation spell is in the textbook style of Powers magic within a generally-non-Powers system. I would say characters can mix magic systems without any in-character distinctions.

High skill reducing mana costs has balance issues, especially in a setting where mana crystals can just be assembled into a necklace for use, but that rule is easily removed if needed. Mana crystals, for their part, seem a lot like manastones that're refined from minerals instead of being enchanted. However, we don't know how Natani was recharging those crystals, just that it's not normal to do so.

Powers spells should be able to count as prereqs for Hawthorne spells, although I'm not sure a system for that can be useful. Going the other way, Powers magic tends to need a "bulk discount"; I'd use the Spell Knowledge/Spell Power system I've used in a few campaigns, albeit modified to better handle mixing with Hawthorne magic. That's basically just a point cost schedule, though, and I don't think costs matter for this (yet).

Everyone automatically has Magery 0(External Energy Only(-60%), 2). While this is only two points for a character, it's so common that the lack of access to magic is a substantial disadvantage. More about this when we come to the basitins.

But now, the race with the most potential for technical controversy, the humans.

Human(20)
+1 IQ(20), -1 Per(-5), -1 Will(-5), Curious(SC: 12(×1), -5), Can Draw Earth Mana(15)

Okay, having a lens for humans at all is kind of at odds with the humanocentrism of GURPS. However, with three main races, anything that basitins and keidrans have in common ends up feeling like the baseline, which humans deviate from. This will probably shift as we figure out more, for example I was thinking maybe -1 DX or the like should be in there. Temperature Tolerance and Perk: Fur are not so easily flipped, but No Fur(-2) would be a reasonable way to go. This means that by Mekkan standards, species from elsewhere(including the humans of Homeline and whatnot) have this added to their racial lenses. (Possibly barring Can Draw Earth Mana, although crossworld castaways tend to gain access to the local magic.)

Can Draw Earth Mana(15) is purely an eyeballed cost, and is especially likely to be inaccurate. Now, why isn't it a full Can Draw Mana, which also covers black mana? Well, in strip 844(31 of Jan of 2015), Raine said "Even without crystals, black magic is always an option for the desperate.", and this was specifically about Zen. Way back in strip 223(17 of Sep of 2005), Natani recognized Trace's black magic with "it looks just like the magic... The magic of crystals formed from dying earth...". Together, these could easily mean Natani and Zen can draw black mana if they tried, but keidran don't learn to draw mana — or even that they can — because all they can draw is black. (Certainly, we need to extrapolate that in some direction if this is ever going to be played.)

Edit: In strip 447(4 of June of 2008), we may be seeing Issac casting with black mana. I read it as him casting a forbidden spell, but that's compatible with using black mana to do so.

Basitin(8)
+8 HT(80), -8 FP(-24), -2 Basic Speed(-40), +1 Will(5), SM: -1(0), Magic Breaks Mind(-15), Temperature Tolerance: 1(1), Perk: Fur(1)

Magic Breaks Mind(-15) is another eyeballed cost. (For those curious why they're both ±15pt, I based them on stuff from GURPS: In Nomine, which tended to work out like that.) It effectively means they can't use a common and powerful toolset, which I think is reasonable for a -15pt "disability". However, they may be able to use crystal mana once taught. The fact that the Templar came to the island with an agenda complicates matters. I haven't seen anything in the comic to support this, but the wiki says the only magic they can use is Templar towers, but this is exactly what the Templar would want them to think.

I originally had a bunch of other stuff in there, like Longevity and Resistant vs PoisonMetabolic Hazards and Perk: Alcohol Tolerance, but +HT covers it really nicely :D It covers some other things too, so I bought FP and Basic Speed back down. (Although "the adrakist fight" could mean basitin +HT should boost Basic Speed.)

I also had High Pain Tolerance in there at one point, but I think that's cultural, not racial. (Imagine a human raised by basitins. High Pain Tolerance? I think so.)

Keidran(16)
Acute Hearing: +2(4), Claws: Sharp(5), Combat Reflexes(15), Discriminatory Smell(15), Impulsiveness(SC: 12(×1), -10), Lecherousness(SC: 9(×1½), Only During Mating Season(-80%), -4), Short Lifespan: 1(-10), Teeth: Sharp(1), Temperature Tolerance: 1(1), Perk: Fur(1), Quirk: Alcohol Intolerance(-1), Quirk: Carnivorous(-1), Feature: Alternate Form: Feral(0)

This is actually the first racial lens I started for this, based on the felinoid lens(p261, GURPS: Basic Set I). There may still be things copied from Felinoid that don't belong for keidran. Lecherousness(i.e. heat) doesn't affect all keidran — Mike and Kat are notably exempt — but I included it in the base lens since they're still "carriers" for it, in a sense.

I don't think feral form is worth points, in context. If keidran are used in some setting that doesn't know about them, however, then it could be a perk-level Alternate Form; it's worse than cosmetic, it's recognizably similar.

I've also contemplated Catfall, Perfect Balance, +2 Striking ST(Only Kicks(-20%)), and a number of other things. It seems weird to give Catfall without Double-Jointed, or at least Flexibility — that's how it works for RL cats. Perfect Balance seems to be what's behind hanging out in trees, as Flora and the assassin brothers are wont to do, but it's not exotic or anything. I'm not sure. Combat Reflexes is in a similar boat, but it barely made it in instead of almost making it in. Maybe I should swap in Perfect Balance for Combat Reflexes? Or maybe the right answer is both, or is neither.

I originally had separate lenses for canid keidran and felid keidran, but they ended up not having much/any differentiation, so this lens is re-merged.

Thoughts? Comments? Rotten fruit? ;)

Darekun
Traveler

Re: GURPS Twokinds

#2 Post by Darekun »

(This is just reserving a space for the final lenses and templates, if there are any.)

Nasrudith

#3 Post by Nasrudith »

So do you have a point total in mind yet? Or even a TL persay? Metals might be up to TL4 effectively or potentially beyond but there appears to be an obvious lack of firearms.

Darekun
Traveler

#4 Post by Darekun »

Nasrudith wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 7:48 am So do you have a point total in mind yet? Or even a TL persay? Metals might be up to TL4 effectively or potentially beyond but there appears to be an obvious lack of firearms.
Well, point total equality tends to be limited to games; Trace could easily be a 400pt character, depending on unrevealed aspects of his abilities, while Natani is still probably under 200pt, and Group B is lower. If I do GM this, It'd depend on the campaign concept… say, a Centrum Unattached team would have more points than exploring teens who grew up in Lyn'Knoll. I have various ideas for campaign concepts, but I'd keep to the "200pt hero" reference scale :J

As for TL, yeah, I'd say it's a magical TL3+X setting. Sailing across the Grand Sea on vacation suggests a net TL of 4 or 5, but the role of firearms is clearly filled by magic. The Basidian Isles could be down at TL3, no plus, and I'd say a general TL3+1 over keidran and human lands. If everybody got together, they could assemble a solid TL3+2, but civilization on Mekkan is quite diffuse. If (again) I GM this, that would mean TL3+1 for the campaign TL.

Hm. My plan was to stat characters here, but I really got sidetracked with the setting stuff to build characters on, which… is a weakness of mine. That said, if anyone's interested in playing, then it's what we'd need for that O:J