#twokinds in HexChat?

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#twokinds in HexChat?

#1 Post by BadFoMo »

Long story short, #twokinds switched to a new hosting site (I think) and it broke my setup on Pidgin. I am now trying to setup HexChat to connect, but nothing I do seems to work.

Is there anyone here that uses HexChat that can help me?

Also, does HexChat automatically save the chat logs like Pidgin?
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

Hayate
The Hidden User

Re: #twokinds in HexChat?

#2 Post by Hayate »

I am using Hexchat for IRC stuff. It does save a log of the chat for everything that happens while I'm logged in. I might be able to help you set it up later if you can't get it going.
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#3 Post by Schrodinger »

Okay, the chat client on the website has changed to kiwiirc.com. The server is still on Nightstar. I just tested this with both my personal client and the one on the chat page and was able to connect to the chatroom. I don't know what kind of problem you are having but it sounds limited to your terminal.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#4 Post by BadFoMo »

Hayate wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:31 pmI am using Hexchat for IRC stuff. It does save a log of the chat for everything that happens while I'm logged in. I might be able to help you set it up later if you can't get it going.
I think I might need that help.

All I know is the new port is 6697 – 6700, and the channels I would like are #twokinds and #2k.
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#5 Post by BadFoMo »

Here’s what I’ve been able to gather; I need the name of the Network, the Server Address, the Server Port and the Channel Name.

What I have is…
Network = KiwiIRC
Server Address = irc.nightstar.net
Server Port = 6697, 6698, 6699, or 6700
Channel Name = #twokinds
I haven’t reached the Channel part yet, but what part is wrong?

Also, I tried that with the old Port of 7000, and it said;
*** You are banned. If you feel this is in error please contact us at http://www.nightstar.net
* Closing link: (unknown@{Redacted}) [Z-Lined: Your IP range has been attempting to connect too many times in too short a duration. Wait a while, and you will be able to connect.]

I got that last message when I tried to join with the web client as well. Maybe I should just give up.

amenon
Grand Templar

#6 Post by amenon »

It's all correct (except for the network name, but that doesn't actually matter. Still, 'Nightstar' would be appropriate there). On those ports, you might be missing an option to enable SSL. Googling for hexchat settings, "Use SSL for all the servers on this network" might be it.

The Z-line would have been you trying to reconnect too much while you were testing, which would of course have caused all further tests to fail. Bit of a catch-22. But it eventually clears up on its own, like it says in the message.
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#7 Post by BadFoMo »

I guess I got depressed/overwhelmed to work on it until now.

Anyway, on the edit page, I have;

[_] Connect to selected server only
[_] Connected to this network automatically
[X] Bypass proxy server
[X] Use SSL for all the servers on this network
[_] Accept invalid SSL certificates
[X] Use global user information

Also, for ‘Servers’, I only have “irc.Nightstar.Net/6697”. Should I have the other three as well?

Anyway, when I try to connect using the settings above, I get the error “Connection failed (* Verify E: Failed to validate hostname? (-1))”. What does that mean?

amenon
Grand Templar

#8 Post by amenon »

The error means that it can't verify the ssl certificate. I looked into it a bit, and either of these options should fix it:

1) You could remove irc.nightstar.net, and add these servers instead:

golgafrincham.nightstar.net
traal.nightstar.net
krikkit.nightstar.net
kakrafoon.nightstar.net
deepthought.nightstar.net

or 2), you could just check 'accept invalid SSL certificates'

2) is probably the better approach, since 1) will cause problems when the servers change again.
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#9 Post by BadFoMo »

I have just tried the recommended option 2, and it's finally working! Now all I need to do is figure out if it's automatically saving the chat anywhere, where that might be if it is, and how to customize the timestamps.
And figure out how to get my new monitor to use the proper resolution/install new graphics card, but that's completely unrelated.

Thanks.